• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Sammy confirms that Sega Dream Corporation has fully acquired Index (Atlus)

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

http://www.segasammy.co.jp/english/pdf/release/20130918_index_e_final.pdf

Notice is hereby given that SEGA DREAM CORPORATION, which was newly established as a wholly owned subsidiary by SEGA CORPORATION (“SEGA”), a subsidiary of SEGA SAMMY HOLDINGS INC. (the “Company”), has concluded a business transfer agreement with Index Corporation (“Index”) for the purpose of revitalization of the business. Under the agreement, SEGA will take over the operations conducted by Index, the bankrupt company that applied to the Tokyo District Court for the commencement of civil rehabilitation proceedings effective from June 27, 2013

Translation: Sega Corporation established a new subsidiary called Sega Dream Corporation, which was used to acquire Index Corporation.

Also of note:
The Company believes that transfer of Index’s operations to SEGA will create synergies, on the grounds that the deal will enable the Company to:

(1) gain access to prominent IPs in the home video game software, through which the Company can expect to achieve steady flows of revenue;

(2) expect further facilitation of revenue growth for the PC Online Game Business and Content Business for Smart Devices operated by SEGA and SEGA Networks Co., Ltd. by exploiting acquired prominent IPs

(3) maximize the value of acquired IPs by effectively deploying them in the Pachislot and Pachinko Machines segment, Amusement Machine Sales and Amusement Center Operations segments.

More details:
Outline of the business transfer:

(1) Details of operations to be transferred
The operations conducted by Index including the Digital Game Business (design and development of console games and social games); Contents & Solutions Business (delivery of contents, development of systems, consigned development related to amusement machines, internet advertising, etc.); Amusement Business (development and sales of commercial amusement machines) and related businesses.

(2) Assets and liabilities to be transferred
Tangible and intangible fixed assets as well as intellectual property assets related to the above operations to be transferred. (These include shares of Atlus Holding, Inc., which is the parent company of Index Digital Media, Inc., as well as Tiger Mob Limited, Index Corp (Thailand) Ltd. and Mobi Town Ltd.) In principle, liabilities including interest-bearing debts will not be taken over.

(Note: Index Digital Media Inc is Atlus USA)

The deal is said to be valued at 140 million dollars.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
catherine2xoekx.jpg

dragonsonicwsr7j.jpg

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Just in case anyone wasn't clear, they're a subsidiary of Sega, not Sega Sammy as a separate same level entity.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Home video game software = console and handheld video game software

Just a clarification for the future

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Interest in mobile and home console titles, it sounds from the PR.

A lot to be seen of how this may turn out.

Hasney

Sweet. Hopefully all games get ported to all formats so more people can enjoy them and other than that, Sega are hands-off. That would be fabulous.

(3) maximize the value of acquired IPs by effectively deploying them in the Pachislot and Pachinko Machines segment, Amusement Machine Sales and Amusement Center Operations segments.

Who's up for Persona 5: Pachislot?

syoaran

I really dont know how to feel about this, Segas recent track record in localisation is spotty at best. Hopefully they will secure some long term deal that has Nintendo and/or Sony deal with localisation in the future.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I must be one the only people cautiously optimistic, based mostly on SEGA's previous acquisitions of game companies. They haven't screwed any of them up yet at least.

OmegaDL50

While this is somewhat concerning. How many RPG remaining development teams does Sega have in their development studios?

Wasn't Overworks / Sega WoW disbanded and restructured within the company after the merger with Sammy? I do know that some of the long time Shining Force dev staff left Sega to form Camelot Software.

Still consider the possibility of a Phantasy Star or Shining Force title developed by Atlus, I mean they do have experience with the genre.

I'll remain cautiously optimistic. This could be potentially good or bad.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Pachislots are more fun than Persona games so I'm excited ヽ(゜▽、゜)ノ

crozier

Is this good?
This is the opposite of good.

It's likely that Sega will require more profit potential than Atlas did before considering a game for US release. Does this mean that small, low-profit niche titles like Etrian Odyssey will no longer be considered for release in the states? Quite possibly...

Pooya

prediction;

- some people from Sega or Atlus will say in coming week that this buyout won't change anything, business as usual etc....

- then 12+ months later, everything is dead.

Pachislots are more fun than Persona games so I'm excited ヽ(゜▽、゜)ノ

( ≖‿≖)

BasilZero

Welp.

PC "Online" and "Smartphones" - oh man and I thought the Persona videos being flagged by a random russian woman was bad.

Speaking of which - didnt Sega take off Shining Force videos off of youtube....does this mean - no more Persona videos as well?

IrishNinja

here for delicious tears

would've been great if sony or nintendo or some exclusive would've picked them up, right? not a company that did right by Relic, for one - no no, they might push titles via digital for one, better to not have them at all

Sweet. Hopefully all games get ported to all formats so more people can enjoy them and other than that, Sega are hands-off. That would be fabulous.

this strikes me as the simplest/most obvious answer, but it's simply not as fun as RIP ATLUS WHY SEGA NOOOOO.gif or whatever

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I'm optimistic too. They clearly state that they care for Atlus's home and handheld IP offering, as well as their mobile one. It's not a Konami/Square scenario so far, far from it.

Hopefully Atlus USA continues to live.

jackal27

Banned
So the Atlus brand will be dissolved?

It looks like the Index brand will be dissolved. Atlus itself isn't mentioned.

I'm glad to see console (and handheld?) software mentioned front and center. I'm bit worried about he wording of the PC and mobile segment though. No worries about playing Atlus games on my PC, but on my iPhone? No thank you.

As I'm processing this, it becomes more and more clear that this is a fucking disaster. Why Sega? They can't even do their own IPs justice...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom