• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Sammy confirms that Sega Dream Corporation has fully acquired Index (Atlus)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shengar

The Company believes that transfer of Index’s operations to SEGA will create synergies, on the grounds that the deal will enable the Company to:

(1) gain access to prominent IPs in the home video game software, through which the Company can expect to achieve steady flows of revenue;

(2) expect further facilitation of revenue growth for the PC Online Game Business and Content Business for Smart Devices operated by SEGA and SEGA Networks Co., Ltd. by exploiting acquired prominent IPs

(3) maximize the value of acquired IPs by effectively deploying them in the Pachislot and Pachinko Machines segment, Amusement Machine Sales and Amusement Center Operations segments.

This gonna be so fucking great

daryan-laughs(c).gif

Was this deal why they went completely quite on the EU release of SMT IV? NIS was supposed to be bringing it over

Where's SMT IV? ;_;

Coxy

here for delicious tears

would've been great if sony or nintendo or some exclusive would've picked them up, right? not a company that did right by Relic, for one - no no, they might push titles via digital for one, better to not have them at all

not having them at all like Yakuza 5 and PSO2?

IzzyF3

If Atlus USA still exists after the acquisition, this would be great news. With Atlus handling localization, we may see more great releases like Yakuza and maybe even Valkyria Chronicles 3. With Sega releasing Hatsune Miku and pretty much reviving Sonic lately, we might be seeing a whole new Sega.

weevles

I don't think Atlus will be affected directly, at least not right away.

Any restructuring will be done more on the Index side of the house.

They will probably continue to let Atlus maintain their established IPs and series.

If anything, we may see less of the obscure stuff that Atlus was publishing from even smaller devs.

This has to be better than Index going out of business and Atlus folding, right? :p

duckroll

If Atlus USA still exists after the acquisition, this would be great news. With Atlus handling localization, we may see more great releases like Yakuza and maybe even Valkyria Chronicles 3. With Sega releasing Hatsune Miku and pretty much reviving Sonic lately, we might be seeing a whole new Sega.

I'm not holding my breath for an expansion of their operations, I just hope they stay as they are to localize games developed by Atlus. Really crossing my fingers hard here. :(

Jonnyram

Is this good news? Yes. Atlus is still alive.
Were this to not happen, Atlus would be dead, and I think of all the publishers in Japan, Sega has a better profile to match what Atlus was doing, than any other.

Meia

tumblr_mau0q111GR1r2x5qto1_500.png

Still waiting and seeing. What was said by others in the other thread is somewhat accurate. Selling enough to be profitable is a different meaning to both sega and Index, so we'll have to see what comes of this whole thing. Still using what happens to Atlus USA as a barometer for changes moving forward.

They get liquidated to cut costs, it's over. They stick around, and there's not only hope, but good things possible for the future.

Best case is Sega sticks with action/adventure, Atlus sticks with RPG, and does their same old same old while getting access to old Sega IPs they don't use anymore. Worst case is Atlus slowly goes in a corner to die, or nothing gets released in the West anymore.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
(1) gain access to prominent IPs in the home video game software, through which the Company can expect to achieve steady flows of revenue;

(2) expect further facilitation of revenue growth for the PC Online Game Business and Content Business for Smart Devices operated by SEGA and SEGA Networks Co., Ltd. by exploiting acquired prominent IPs

(3) maximize the value of acquired IPs by effectively deploying them in the Pachislot and Pachinko Machines segment, Amusement Machine Sales and Amusement Center Operations segments.

Well technically this only talks about where the IPs are going, but isn't it likely Atlus development time is going to follow?

Iwata you know what you have todo. dust off that monster hunter plan and cross off Capcom with Sega and Monster Hunter 4 with Persona 5.

Takao

Banned
Hmm, the fact that they're dissolving Index and putting it under Sega Corp is troublesome. The approach taken by Namco Bandai with D3 Publisher would've been much preferred. I expect people to lose their jobs due to redundancies. It could also mean Atlus games are now subject to SEGA's expectations rather than what Atlus would expect. If that's the case that is bad news for Atlus USA, and their smaller franchises like Etrian Odyssey. Doubly so, given SEGA's shown a reluctance to allow third party publishers release their games abroad ...

duckroll

Well technically this only talks about where the IPs are going, but isn't it likely Atlus development time is going to follow?

What most gamers know as "Atlus"? Probably not. Index? Sure.

Note:
(1) Details of operations to be transferred
The operations conducted by Index including the Digital Game Business (design and development of console games and social games); Contents & Solutions Business (delivery of contents, development of systems, consigned development related to amusement machines, internet advertising, etc.); Amusement Business (development and sales of commercial amusement machines) and related businesses.

Index already has all the business operations needed to supply those 3 points. They have console game development, they have social/mobile development, they have content delivery platforms, and they have development and sale of amusement machines.

t26

For Atlus USA the following things that could happen

1. Atlus USA close. All games are now release by Sega USA.
2. Atlus USA and Sega merge. That could affect which game get localized due to change in management.
3. Sega USA close and Atlus USA stay open. Unlikely since Atlus USA is smaller.
4. Sega keep both Atlus USA and Sega USA. Unlikely due to redundancy.

No matter how you look at it, it is very unlikely things will stay the same.

Jonnyram

Or what if Sega recognises the good work that Atlus USA has been doing (assuming they have actually been profitable), and decides to apply that talent to some of their own titles, such as 7th Dragon, Valkyria Chronicles, etc.?

Sandfox

Or what if Sega recognises the good work that Atlus USA has been doing (assuming they have actually been profitable), and decides to apply that talent to some of their own titles, such as 7th Dragon, Valkyria Chronicles, etc.?

If they didn't see those games as profitable enough to bring to the west before I doubt its going to change now.

Busaiku

Hahahaha.
It hurts so much.

Meia

I'd really really really like this to be the case. Their dumb handling of PSO2 doesn't make me hopeful this will be the case.

We all know what they SHOULD do in terms of a business decision to be smart(leave them the hell alone if they're profitable, which they are), that doesn't always jive with what they do though.

Takao

Banned

If SEGA didn't feel it was worth their time to even license those games out to the likes of Atlus USA, I can't see them supporting localizations directly.

duckroll

If they didn't see those games as profitable enough to bring to the west before I doubt its going to change now.

It might not be worth Sega USA's time and resources to localize, market, and publish. But now that they own a smaller label which does have those resources and experience, it could work out. I'm not holding my breath as I said before, but it is not without logic.

MLH

What part of Atlus requires "revitalization", their business model is a strong one: develop small games for their niche, but loyal fans, enjoying the sales and profits that come with it. Index went bankrupt due to less than legal business practices, Atlus suffers.

The Company believes that transfer of Index’s operations to SEGA will create synergies, on the grounds that the deal will enable the Company to:

This is terrifying.
I'll try to remain calm and wait until the first set of games, under SEGA, to be announced. One good thing from this is Persona 5 could (also) be on PC.

jackal27

Banned
I really just hope that Atlus USA stays together in some way, shape, or form. Those guys are just SO top notch. They've been my oasis in this desert of an industry for years now.

Kurod

Banned

And PSO2...still waiting for that. Still waiting :(

AniHawk

nisa is affected by this as well. atlus usa is a distributor for their games in the us. not to mention they had been publishing their games in europe recently.

if atlus usa does get absorbed by sega usa, i wonder what that will mean for atlus's franchises, and i wonder if we'll see something of a bidding war between the smaller third parties to bring them over.

Meia

I'll try to remain calm and wait until the first set of games, under SEGA, to be announced. One good thing from this is Persona 5 could (also) be on PC.

I'd also expect a Persona 5 announcement to come soon now, if for no other reason than to stop the doom and gloom from fans. Would think you'd want an uber positive message to come out when something like this goes down to show they're still kicking.

Takao

Banned
What part of Atlus requires "revitalization", their business model is a strong one: develop small games for their niche, but loyal fans, enjoying the sales and profits that come with it. Index went bankrupt due to less than legal business practices, Atlus suffers.

The part where a good chunk of their annual releases are just ports/re-releases.

Squire

Banned
I'd also expect a Persona 5 announcement to come soon now, if for no other reason than to stop the doom and gloom from fans. Would think you'd want an uber positive message to come out when something like this goes down to show they're still kicking.

I think it will be November. They'll announce it after the deal has been finalized.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom