• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

Sega says Sonic/Mario Olympics will sell 4 million copies

Sho_Nuff82

Jan 2, 2007
http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7234&Itemid=2

Next-Gen.biz said:
Sega believes that Mario and Sonic at the Olympics will sell 4 million units, equaling the feat of the original Sonic title released in 1991.

Mario and Sonic at the Olympics, which goes on sale for Nintendo Wii in November, will pit Nintendo and Sega’s flagship characters against one another for the first time, and Sega believes it has a sure-fire hit on its hands.

Bloomberg reports that Masanao Maeda, a corporate director at Sega's gaming unit, forecast that the title will sell 4 million units, although he didn’t specify a timeframe for achieving the milestone.

The target is equivalent to almost 20 percent of Sega’s games sales during the last financial year ended March 31.

Sales of the title will no doubt be given a boost by next year’s Beijing Olympics.

So they're expective Wii Play/Gears of War type sales for this game. Lofty, but it should be huge in Japan and Europe at least.

TheGreatDave

Banned
Mar 10, 2005
I wouldn't laugh it off, but it seems a little...ambitious. Sega being in charge of it outside Japan will mean it'll never be as successful as it could have been.

Kyoufu

Jul 26, 2007
London
twitter.com
Sho_Nuff82 said:

Bloomberg reports that Masanao Maeda, a corporate director at Sega's gaming unit, forecast that the title will sell 4 million units, although he didn’t specify a timeframe for achieving the milestone.

But is he willing to take a ban bet?

gimz

Nov 20, 2005
wow wii and ds version combine?

if its the case, i can see 1 million each for both wii and ds in Japan, and just need 2 more million for US and UK

PowerSmell

Jan 23, 2007
Official license olympics game + Mario + Sonic + Mario & Sonic + Sonic & Mario + IN THE SAME GAME!!!! + Wii + NDS = At the very least 4 million.

This has cash cow written all over it. I don't think anybody should underestimated it.

gimz

Nov 20, 2005
if they put the wii <-> Ds connectivity in the game

"connect your DS to your wii, to unlock new content on your DS!"

and people will be force to buy a wii

_Alkaline_

Sep 25, 2006
Australia
tetrisgrammaton said:
from what i read i understand it to be both versions

Honestly I don't expect the Wii game to sell that well, and indeed, I actually think the DS version may bomb a little bit. Perhaps Im underestimating the hype for this game, but i can't see it having a big impact sales-wise.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Jun 6, 2004
Savannah, GA
If this becomes the new Wii Sports, I could see it happening. Nintendo should sweeten the deal by including a Wiimote with the package.

Zen

Banned
Jun 24, 2005
For that to happen, the game would have to be a real game, and Sega would have had to not crap all over Sonic for the past 7 years. People would have eating this stuff up if both of those criteria were true.

dr3upmushroom

Banned
Jun 18, 2006
Don't see how this is impossible... You have the Sonic fans who buy anything Sega shits, you have Mario which appeals to just about anyone and it's a mini game collection...

xaosslug

Dec 22, 2005
in a van down by the river
hmm, will the powerful draw of Mario be able to usurp the immediate "DO NOT WANT" attitude victimised Sonic fans have been conditioned respond with over the years re: Sonic software? STAY TUNED, TRUE BELIVERS!

GDGF

Soothsayer
Jun 6, 2004
Savannah, GA
Yeah, this game will appeal to a shit load of audiences. Nintendo fans, Sega fans, casual gamers, Olympic, uh, fans.

It may not hit 4 million, but it's going to hit multiple millions. Hell, four isn't really out of the question.

Seriously, if they did put a Wiimote in the package I would say 4 for sure.

jarrod

Banned
Jun 6, 2004
4m lifetime is an easy bet honestly. Remember too that Nintendo's publishing it in Japan (legz!).

.dmc

Banned
Aug 6, 2006
Sydney, Australia
Defuser said:
If Wii Sports can only sell up to 2million what makes he think it can sell over 4 milllion?

That's only because Wii Sports was a pack-in in the West, if it was sold seperately I wouldn't be surprised if the game was well over 5million WW by now.

jarrod

Banned
Jun 6, 2004
Defuser said:
If Wii Sports can only sell up to 2million what makes he think it can sell over 4 milllion?
There's near 9m copies of Wii Sports in homes right now.

Jiggy

Sep 10, 2005
I could see... I don't know, 2.75 million worldwide.

Very little of which will be from the DS game. I'm seriously not expecting much from that version, partly because a lot of people missed that it was even going to be made and partly because multiplayer experiences are generally more intended to be played on a TV. (With obvious exceptions like, you know, Pokemon.)

FoneBone

Jun 7, 2004
Philadelphia, PA
xaosslug said:
hmm, will the powerful draw of Mario be able to usurp the immediate "DO NOT WANT" attitude victimised Sonic fans have been conditioned respond with over the years re: Sonic software? STAY TUNED, TRUE BELIVERS!
Bear in mind that "Mario and Sonic, together for the first time" is going to draw in a fair amount of people that would be less interested in either franchise on its own.

Don't know about 4 million, but it'll be pretty huge (laugh if you want, but I doubt the Wii version will even be that far behind Mario Galaxy or Smash Bros).

Ezduo

Banned
Sep 1, 2007
Has there even been a next-gen console game to sell that much (besides possibly Wii Sports)?

ZeoVGM

Banned
Feb 2, 2006
MiamiWesker said:
I love Sega but this is definitely :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

You realize this.. is Sega AND Nintendo, right?

4 million worldwide is NOT impossible. Chances are it'll definitely hit at least 2 million worldwide.

OnPoint

Jun 4, 2007
www.indiegames.com
Jiggy37 said:
I could see... I don't know, 2.75 million worldwide.

Very little of which will be from the DS game. I'm seriously not expecting much from that version, partly because a lot of people missed that it was even going to be made and partly because multiplayer experiences are generally more intended to be played on a TV. (With obvious exceptions like, you know, Pokemon.)

Really? Games sell like mad in Japan on the DS. I could see sales accounting of mostly DS copies.

Or maybe not.

Aug 13, 2007
If counting both Wii and DS version it could happen, I think this game will sell quite well for a long time. Mario + Sonic + Olympics = three large trademarks that will attract people, all in one game.

TheGreatDave

Banned
Mar 10, 2005
smurfx said:
lol poor delusional sega. it might of sold 4 million if it wasn't a olympics game. has there ever been a real successful olympics game?

Is there any reason why an Olympics game shouldn't be successful in this brave new post-Wii Sports world?

jonezer4

Apr 28, 2006
Article said:

He didn't specify a timefame guys. Give them till 2235 or so, it's realistic.