• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega should make a new Sonic Collection game since he's missing his Anniversary(2016)

bman94

Since the next mainline game won't be out Gill 2017 Sega should totally make a new Sonic collection game for this year's 25th Anniversary. But instead of emulation they should focus more on ports:

Taxman's Sonic 1, 2 & CD releases as well have redo Sonic 3 & Knuckles

Port Sonic Heroes as a HD re-release as well as include the HD re-releases of Sonic Adventure 1&2

Emulate Knuckles Chaotix, it'll be the first time since it's initial release in 95

Port the Saturn/PC version of Sonic 3D Blast which hasn't seen the light of day since their original releases despite being the better versions.

HD remaster of Sonic Colors and have that appear for the first time on Sony & Microsoft Consoles.

Then they can throw in the usual suspects lime the spin-off games like Sonic the Fighters, Sonic Spinball etc. but use the most modern ports of those games. It'll also be cool to throw in some Sega history as well like Virtua Fighter, Outrun, Enternal Champions as well.

They could do it similarly to Rare Replay with in game achievements unlocking behind the scenes type stuff.

For 3DS they could port all of the handheld titles since most of them already natively on the 3DS as well as port Sonic Pocket Adventure, Sonic Advance Games, Sonic DS Games and the Sega 3D Classics version of Sonic 1&2.

i just want a taxman collection of the genesis titles on 8th gen consoles. I'd really love for the 8-bit and 16-bit spin off games as a bonus too.

Was thinking about this the other day, "Sonic Jam Remastered" seems like a pretty nice fit. Taxman versions of the Gen games, with CD too since it's handy enough (and include the original Jam "Normal" and "Easy" mode layouts). Pack in some commercials like before, some development art they've clearly been digging up lately, the hub might even be a sneak peek of the new Sonic game's engine and mechanics.

I'd rather see them release a collection of a good series.

2Yni481.jpg

Taxman of Sonic 1-3 and knuckles plus CD as a collection would be awesome on any platform maybe throw in knuckles chaotix as well.

Ferr986

I'd rather see them release a collection of a good series. Shenmue collection would be timely due to upcoming sequel

But Classic Sonic games are better than any Shenmue (although to be fair Shenmue Collection still needs to happen).

Sonic 1,2,3k Taxman ports + Sonic 1,2, Sonic&Tails 1,2+ CD+ lolChaotix (it sucks but it would be a novelty)+Ristar because fuck its an awesome game for a cheap price. Then throw a standalone Colors HD.

They should at least do a 3D Classics Sonic Advance Trilogy on 3DS retail, doing the same thing they did with the Genesis games. Even better if they expand the resolution to add more around the screen for a much better view of your surroundings.

That alone could have huge appeal and I doubt that would be so difficult to do.

But Sonic has two games this year: Sonic Boom Fire and Ice (3DS) and the already released Olympic Games Wii U/3DS game. There's also the Olympic arcade game but that might have released in 2015; I only noticed it this year.

If you're a PC gamer, Sonic just had an excellent bundle. Also excellent and something I found out recently was someone made a mod called Sega PC Reloaded which has tons of fixes and additions for 90s Sonic CD, Sonic 3D Blast, and Sonic & Knuckles Collection (along with Ecco) PC releases which allows them to run on modern hardware. All the games are really cheap to pick up online and if you like the older games, I'd recommend giving Sega Reloaded a try.

Or a new 2d side scrolling sonic goodness. It's the only way to make a good sonic game where sonic can still be sonic.

Reboot Sonic by going back to his roots!

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I'd be up for a Sonic Unleashed + Sonic Colors definitive edition re-release.

The only two good Sonic games of the last 10 years are stuck languishing on the systems they appeared on.

Zubz

Banned
Despite the staggering number of Sonic collections out there, OP proves there's a lot to be mined. Honestly, I'd love a collection with some of those ideas, especially if it had Knuckles Chaotix! Plus, it'd be super easy to use as an Anniversary game if the big Adventure 2/06/Generations-tier Milestone game isn't coming until 2017.

Then again, I would also be content with an 06 rerelease, so what do I know?

mr_chun

I could go for a classics collection on consoles, then a handheld collection on 3DS.

Handheld collection could have the Game Gear, GBA, and Rush games. I would buy that shit in a heartbeat.

Make Sonic Generations free with Games with Gold so it's back compat with XB1 and I'll be happy.

I already own Sonic 1, 2, 3, Knuckles and CD so I'm good.

A discount on 4 would be nice, but I've never played it.

goldenpp72

It's a good idea, honestly if they could go nuts and include stuff like Colors which never got released on HD systems it would be pretty amazing. I'd love to see such a collection, throw it all on one BD and put it in a big box with an art book/music cd/etc, i'd pay a decent bit for it :)

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
More shoddy emulations of the same games that have been released a trillion times. Exciting.

Nah, man. Unless it's new M2 ports or Taxman versions of Sonic 3 and Knuckles, I couldn't possibly care less at this point.

Tealmann

Taxman's Sonic 1, 2 & CD releases
Should be pretty easy, since CD is on PC and consoles

Port Sonic Heroes as a HD re-release
It already has a decent PC version, so porting shouldn't be much trouble

Emulate Knuckles Chaotix, it'll be the first time since it's initial release in 95
I doubt they'll acknowledge it's existence ever

Port the Saturn/PC version of Sonic 3D Blast which hasn't seen the light of day since their original releases despite being the better versions.
That either

HD remaster of Sonic Colors and have that appear for the first time on Sony & Microsoft Consoles.
Sure

Sonic the Fighters
Already has an HD remaster on PS3 and 360, but not PC for some reason. I'd love to see a port of it

Sonic Spinball
Already a part of the Genesis collection on Steam

But yeah, I'd love to see more ports, especially the ones that aren't already on Steam like Heroes, Riders, and Fighters

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

The only two good Sonic games of the last 10 years are stuck languishing on the systems they appeared on.
Not sure how you could dislike Generations while enjoying those two games. I'd say it's the best of the three. We need a new Generations.

bman94

They should at least do a 3D Classics Sonic Advance Trilogy on 3DS retail, doing the same thing they did with the Genesis games. Even better if they expand the resolution to add more around the screen for a much better view of your surroundings.

That alone could have huge appeal and I doubt that would be so difficult to do.

Ah damn, a 3D Classics of the Advance series would be awesome.

But Sonic has two games this year: Sonic Boom Fire and Ice (3DS) and the already released Olympic Games Wii U/3DS game. There's also the Olympic arcade game but that might have released in 2015; I only noticed it this year.

If you're a PC gamer, Sonic just had an excellent bundle. Also excellent and something I found out recently was someone made a mod called Sega PC Reloaded which has tons of fixes and additions for 90s Sonic CD, Sonic 3D Blast, and Sonic & Knuckles Collection (along with Ecco) PC releases which allows them to run on modern hardware. All the games are really cheap to pick up online and if you like the older games, I'd recommend giving Sega Reloaded a try.

sonic-boom-fire-ice.png

He's not though?

I said there's no mainline Sonic games out this year. A spin-off and basically a licensed game isn't quite my idea of an anniversary celebration.

More shoddy emulations of the same games that have been released a trillion times. Exciting.

Nah, man. Unless it's new M2 ports or Taxman versions of Sonic 3 and Knuckles, I couldn't possibly care less at this point.

Didn't read did ya? I said they should focus more on ports rather than emulating the old titles. I even suggested a Taxman release of Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

But Classic Sonic games are better than any Shenmue (although to be fair Shenmue Collection still needs to happen).

Sonic 1,2,3k Taxman ports + Sonic 1,2, Sonic&Tails 1,2+ CD+ lolChaotix (it sucks but it would be a novelty)+Ristar because fuck its an awesome game for a cheap price. Then throw a standalone Colors HD.

You listed exactly one good game, and it's not even a Sonic game

Shang

I'd rather see them release a collection of a good series. Shenmue collection would be timely due to upcoming sequel

I think a stopgap huge sale on the Sonic collection on Steam would be enough. I do agree with this guy, though; I want to play Shenmue, I never have!

G0523

I would love to see this as well. Honestly, I was expecting that to be Sega's big 25th anniversary game instead of a brand new game altogether. Hopefully they'll still release some sort of collection for PS4 and Xbox One.

HUELEN10

I would kill for Christian Whithead's Sonic Advance 1-3 in native 16:9 with wider scope for modern consoles.

I'm down with that. I'll just take Taxman S&3K, to be completely honest.
The Sonic Advance series on VC or a collection would be great, though.

Sonic Hereoes is a disaster. Keep it in its grave.

I wouldn't say it was a disaster. Not fantastic, but not outright horrible. It's okay. You can absolutely do worse for Sonic.

I'm mostly fond of it because SEGAC used to replace the normal Phantasy Star Universe lobby music with its theme song on Sonic's birthday, along with having Sonic and friends show up as NPCs so everyone could obnoxiously spam HAPPY BIRTHDAY SONIC. And by obnoxious, I mean obnoxious.

nostalgia is a hell of a drug

Kyari

Also I think Sonic 3 & Knuckles are quietly in lengthy legal problems, probably due to the music. A remake of that level would consist of being a new product and so would need new music for some tracks. Probably the most notable example of this is the non-emulated PC port that does not have the original tracks for all levels.

Its been the supposed reason for no Taxman remake for quite some time.

I'd love a new collection of high quality ports (IE taxman) with some bonus goodies. I'd like them to go for quality ports rather than sheer quantity. Original trilogy and knuckles, CD, and for once knuckles chaotix. Maybe throw the adventure games and generations on their for current gen as well, anything beyond that is just gravy.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world

THIS!

I never understood the Generations love that game was generic, uninteresting and most of the music was forgettable.

SU daytime levels and music shit all over that game.

3D Sonic the Hedgehog is, IMO, the definitive version of the game. Give me more M2 ports of the GBA and Genesis and we're golden.

It'd be nice of them to finally port the few Sonic games that have never been re-released (mainly thinking of Knuckles Chaotix, SegaSonic Arcade, Sonic Pocket Adventure, and Sonic Shuffle).

I'd be down for Unleashed and Colours in 1080p and 60 fps. Hell, I'm not much of a PC gamer, but it'd give them a convenient opportunity to put them on PC as well.

Kind of related, but I recently replayed my copy of Heroes using Nintendont on the Wii U and it really amazes me how good that game looks and performs even now.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I feel that Sega needs to release a good Sonic game for Nintendo console to make up for Sonic Boon and mediocre that was Lost World, they really took their Nintendo fan for granted and it backfired in their face.

Furthermore still waiting for them to release the Sonic Advance series on the Wii U virtual console.

Top Bottom