• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA Superstars.... Tennis? Wii / 360 / PS2 / PS3 / DS

Rlan

LONDON & SAN FRANCISCO (Oct 18, 2007) – SEGA Europe Ltd. and SEGA of America, Inc. today announced SEGA Superstars™ Tennis, a game that brings together some of the most treasured and well known characters from the SEGA universe, in some of the most unusual courts and outrageous settings ever imagined. Developed by Sumo Digital Ltd., SEGA Superstars Tennis will be released on the Sony PlayStation® 3 computer entertainment system, Sony PlayStation 2, the Xbox 360™ video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, and Nintendo Wii and DS, all hitting shelves early in 2008.

SEGA Superstars Tennis has over 15 playable SEGA idols including Sonic the Hedgehog, AiAi from Super Monkeyball fame, Ulala of Space Channel 5 and Amigo from Samba De Amigo. In addition to their own unique attributes, each character will also come equipped with their own superstar tennis skills, putting a whole new spin on each match played!

Exhibition mode offers the chance to challenge Sonic, or the character or your choice, to a match on one of many courts, including Sonic’s home court of Green Hill Zone, or Amigo’s Carnival Park court. Wherever you play there will be a host of SEGA celebrities cheering you on from courtside and by partaking in crazy doubles matches with your choice of partner, you could end up playing against some pretty unusual couples! Prove your SEGA hero is the shining star of SEGA Superstars Tennis by collecting silverware in the Tournament Mode. There will also be the opportunity to unlock a host of exciting extras which will be announced in the near future!

Complementing the Exhibition and Tournament modes, there will also be new and innovative ways of enjoying some of SEGA’s classic titles, plus platform exclusive ways to play the game, including online modes for X360 and PS3 versions!

“SEGA Superstars Tennis has the potential to be one of the most fun and accessible sports games ever.” commented Gary Knight, European Marketing Director. “The fantastic Sumo Digital team has had access to a wealth of SEGA IP and you’ll be surprised at the gaming icons that will be making an appearance!”

Available on the Sony PlayStation® 3 computer entertainment system, Sony PlayStation 2, the Xbox 360™ video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, and Nintendo Wii and DS, SEGA Superstars Tennis will release in early 2008.

For more assets and information please visit www.sega-press.com

11206Ulala-Transform4.jpg

11205SST_GHZ03_reducedChaos.jpg

11204SST_GHZ01_reducedChaos.jpg

11203SambaIntro3.jpg

11202Samba-GameShot.jpg

PS. Needs more Ristar!

jarrod

Banned
Hopefully it looks as nice as Sega Splash Golf.... being from Sumo gives me hope though, I guess it's using the VT3 engine?

Lhadatt

<3 Sumo. They proved themselves with the Outrun Xbox ports (even if the 2nd one had weird jaggies).

Why no Wii or DS online mentioned? Don't be allergic to friend codes Sumo...

gabe90

Crazy to think that this will be the first Tennis game on Wii after Wii Sports. What took so damn long?!

Anyways, looks pretty cool, and good on Sega to use their IPs like this.

Kyoufu

My friend is part of the dev team for this. I can't wait personally :D

Unlike Virtua Tennis 3, the PS3 version will have online.

Oh fuck, if Ryo is in it...and with some sort of voice acting "grunts"...I'd pay for the game if he was the only playable character.

I think I'll buy this. Sega make fantastic tennis games (seriously, I play their Tennis game on my phone all the time) and it could be cool on Wii. As long as it has online multi.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
This beating Mario Tennis to market is big.
Very big for Sega.

I wonder if they'll go after getting Mario in it :lol
Man, I hope we don't see too much of that going forward.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
TheGreatDave said:
Oh fuck, if Ryo is in it...and with some sort of voice acting "grunts"...I'd pay for the game if he was the only playable character.

linesman: OUT!

Ryo: ... I see...

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Samba stage? I can't actually resist that.

Makes me want a Sega Smash Bros now. They don't quite have the Nintendo stable of characters, but mooooore than enough for a roster.

Rlan

VictimOfGrief said:
UNLOCKALBE CHARACTERS!!!! BELIEVE!!!

Well SEGA Superstars - the PS2 Eye Toy game - had these included:

Sonic
Samba De Amigo
Chu Chu Rocket
Puyo Pop
Crazy Taxi
Super Monkey Ball
NiGHTS
House of the Dead
Virtua Fighter
Space Channel 5
Billy Hatcher

Theres a bunch of characters out of those you could grab. Be funny if BD Joe makes it in :lol

But really:

Ristar
Golden Axe
Shinobi
Comix Zone
TJ&E
Alex Kidd
Streets of Rage

Any characters out of these games would be great, if not hilarious.

Edit: Also funny to see that Blaze the Cat is now the Go-to character to plop into a game. It's like SEGA saying "Hey guys! See! A GOOD friend, not a shitty one!", and yet in terms of "story" is the one most unlikely to be in any of them [She's from another dimension, or the future, or both!]

Not to mention Big the Cat :lol Shame the original Sonic friends aren't surrounding, and are instead Chaos.

Complementing the Exhibition and Tournament modes, there will also be new and innovative ways of enjoying some of SEGA’s classic titles, plus platform exclusive ways to play the game, including online modes for X360 and PS3 versions!

Get the fuck outta here.

bryehn

Hopefully it plays like Virtua Tennis 3. I really liked that game. Shame no PSP version though.

And this is out before Mario Tennis? Holy crap! What's next? Sonic Golf: Eggman Tour?

Congrats to Sumo Digital on getting to develope a game finally. They've gotten that Sega "feel" down in all their ports.
Those screens look really pretty, and it looks like there will be tons of fanservice. :D

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
John Harker said:
This beating Mario Tennis to market is big.
Very big for Sega.

I wonder if they'll go after getting Mario in it :lol
Man, I hope we don't see too much of that going forward.
I don't see how when it might not even happen this generation.

Top Bottom