• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Teases for new 2D Sonic(?) game - Project Needlemouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alphahawk

Can someone tell me when they'll announce it's called Sonic 4?

No I'm not being witty or anything like that, the siteis getting hammered right now, and I want to know what the schedule is...

Alphahawk said:

No I'm not being witty or anything like that, the siteis getting hammered right now, and I want to know what the schedule is...

Thursday.

Getting a Sonic CD vibe from the concept art. The music seems sonic 1ish though. Maybe the level design is Sonic CD inspired. AWESOME if true.

HUELEN10

I am currently in the hospital on my iPhone with very slow internet. No flash, so what does the music sound like? Is it like the voice of 500 angels, or does it dissapoint? Catch ya later guys.

Eric C

Alphahawk said:

robut said:
Thursday.

Then maybe a few weeks from now after another contest. Sega will show a picture of how that title will actually look on the box. And a concept art of some lava.

HUELEN10 said:
I am currently in the hospital on my iPhone with very slow internet. No flash, so what does the music sound like? Is it like the voice of 500 angels, or does it dissapoint? Catch ya later guys.
Stars the same as the Sonic 1 theme and then sounds like a funky remix.

Wow what a crappy piece of art work. At least the music gives us insight into the game, sounds like this game maybe in Genesis style graphics.

Zave

Ooow. How can you guys really compare this track to the insanely good Sonic 1 OST by Dreams Come True? It's really saddening.
The Starlight Zone Theme shit all over this. Twice.

HUELEN10 said:

The few seconds you hear are not completely terrible, but compared to the composition of the music in Sonic CD, S3&K and even Sonic 1 it sounds like a fan-made MIDI mix.

Edit: Urgh, why did I put "completely not terrible"?

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Dunno if you remember this, but it still makes me hang my head in shame of my fellow Norwegians.

Loved the music BTW, but.. uh.. a sunflower and a palm tree? That's all you're giving us? :(

Why can't they be original and use technology that we have today instead of sounds from 1991.

Why can't the game be more like nsmw graphic wise. Is this a new game or copy paste from older games? man.... Looks like they started the game 2 weeks ago goddam.

Fuck, this is like Sega saying the good sonic games are only for small fanbases (and can't have modern graphics) and for the mass it's the shitty friends one.

Sorry but the 6 sec sound sample didn't do anything on me.

Nintendo got it with metroid and mario but sega... gosh such a wasted opportunity

i'm mad sirs

Zave said:
Ooow. How can you guys really compare this track to the insanely good Sonic 1 OST by Dreams Come True? It's really saddening.
The Starlight Zone Theme shit all over this. Twice.

It could be like the shit from Heros on.
Atleast it's the right tone.

The Power Of Snap said:
Why can't they be original and use technology that we have today instead of sounds from 1991.

Why can't the game be more like nsmw graphic wise. Is this a new game or copy paste from older games? man.... Looks like they started the game 2 weeks ago goddam.

Fuck, this is like Sega saying the good sonic games are only for small fanbases (and can't have modern graphics) and for the mass it's the shitty friends one.

Sorry but the 6 sec sound sample didn't do anything on me.

Nintendo got it with metroid and mario but sega... gosh such a wasted opportunity

i'm mad sirs

Mega Man 9

I have this feeling that Project Needlemouse is gonna be reaaaaaally retro and all the same types of people that bitched that Mega Man 9 went back to 8-bit are gonna go at it again. Only amplified X 50.

Zilch

Banned
Can someone post the art in the thread?

No offense, but this thread is goddamned useless. Thousands of posts about weird Sonic fetishes and when there's actual relevant news no one actually posts it.

lol. 300+ people sent them artwork and that's what they dole out. Man I was going to draw something - I'm glad I didn't. I would feel sooo soo cheated.

Teknoman

Sounds similar to that "Create a Zone" game on the Sega channel website.

EDIT: The hedgehog thing is going all week, not just today.

Teknoman

Its hard to grab the art since the blog keeps going down...really being hammered.

That being said:

When you’re making a 2D Sonic game, there are some things you’ll almost always need if you want to recapture the feeling of the classics. While momentum based gameplay is a heavy piece of that, the levels themselves also have to exude a style that matches or improves upon what came before them. Often, it is not about attempting to revolutionize, but rather to stay true to the formulas for Sonic’s success that already exist.

The zones themselves – and their environments – do more to immerse players into the world than we might notice at first. Today, we’d like to present two pieces of such concept art, which we hope bring smiles to your faces. Let’s start with a classic:

4325445765_6f04476638.jpg

4326183302_e0b0b48368.jpg

Hedgehog Week Calendar:

•Tuesday, Feb 2nd: Hedgehog Day Celebrations begin! Two new pieces of Concept Art from the first zone, a sneak peek at the game’s music, and a Signed Copy of Sonic 3 giveaway!

•Thursday, Feb 4th: The big day! Project Needlemouse’s actual title revealed, and an extra Bonus…

We know a few of you out there are going “But why can’t you just announce the name of the game today?” For you guys: Please trust us when we say that announcing the game this Thurdsay, which will let us do so alongside the bonus, is going to be completely worth the wait.

Also in celebration of Hedgehog Day, we’ve added up a shiny new piece of flash to the front page of our website! We highly suggest checking it out – after all, it includes the first sneak peak at a few seconds of music from Project Needlemouse! Oh, but don’t go thinking that’s the big bonus – this Thursday, when everything finally goes out, we’ve got something extra special for you guys to complement the game’s real name.

Until then – awesome job once again on the amazing concept art you guys have sent in! We’re going to feature even more of it tomorrow and throughout the week as we celebrate Hedgehog Week, and the upcoming reveal of Project Needlemouse!

Zilch said:
Can someone post the art in the thread?
Yeah, all I'm getting is the Sonic 1 sprite jumping out of a flash-animated hole in front of a scenery with the Green Hill Zone backgrund with a few seconds of faux-retro music playing, no concept art, no nothin'.

Edit: Oh, there it is.

Dubble

If you think about it, this update represents something about modern Sonic games - 2D and 3D that has bothered me for a long while. That is, the series' definitive "look"

It's really a travesty how much of the original charm and backdrops and enemies that made Sonic unique has gradually been taken out over the years for the 3D iterations. The Badnik Army was Sonic's equivalent of the Koopa Troop. Everyone is familiar with Mario locales and the way things look and feel in Mario games and especially it's enemies. Every knows goombas and turtles are associated with Mario. For Sonic is was plowing through the endlessly silly robot badniks. Yes they're harmless and pose no threat, but they're fun and unique. All that was shoved aside bit by bit for growing "realism" in the Sonic games culminating in the abysmal Sonic 360 where all of it was pretty much gone. As a whole, subtracting the feel and the look really took away from what made Sonic special and unique.

It's not much after all that hype, but I like the tone of this update and what it represents. Presentation says a lot.

I won't say they're all the way on the right track because we havent really seen anything, but this is promising albeit small.

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
Ericsc said:
Then maybe a few weeks from now after another contest. Sega will show a picture of how that title will actually look on the box. And a concept art of some lava.

Nope, this Thursday all the big stuff is out of the bag. The second Needlemouse Challenge was also the last, as mentioned when the blog went up.

I know some people would have liked more than just a couple pieces of concept art - and I can understand that sentiment, knowing how excited and hopeful people are about the game. As huge as the hype may be, I personally think the wait to Thursday is well worth it - so, when that day comes, we'll see if people agree.

It is good to read some comments about you guys enjoying the music though - and that's really just a small sample, as the best tracks are yet to come.

On a side note: congrats on exploding our blogs! We're working to get them fixed and back up now...

Teknoman said:
Sounds similar to that "Create a Zone" game on the Sega channel website.
Oh goodness, what if they just took the highest rated levels and tweaked them slightly using that engine :lol :lol

Not gonna lie though, I really like the art for the sunflower and the palm-tree. That being said, it tells me absolutely nothing about the game. We still don't know if it's going to be 2D, 2.5D, sprites, models, heck even cel-shaded. Without this, these concept arts do absolutely nothing.

P.S. - That music sample could've been in Chronicles.

Teknoman

I'm really looking forward to the special stages, and I hope people arent fooled by the banner, thinking the game will be nothing more than Sonic 1 remix.

Wow the blog really is busted Ruby :lol 1000+ comments and still climbing.

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
The Power Of Snap said:
All the fan arts for that....

PicardWtf.jpg

I'd say the real reward is coming this Thursday; the concept art and the music today are really just the appetizers.

Again, though, I could sit here and type for days and it wouldn't really make a difference. Once Thursday comes around, we'll see if people agree.

One of two things are going to happen on Thursday.

Most probable: The game is announced, the gimmicks are laid bare, the shitty friends are shitty, the speed is a mess, Robotnik is "Eggman", and the eyes are green. This game's Sonic Cycle enters its long overdue Phase Two, and all is right in the world.

Or...

The game is announced and, against all probability and history, miracle of miracles...

Gentlemen, we may be entering the looking glass.

All this for that? Looks like you idiots became viral marketeers for yet another slim scrap. Maybe wise up a little bit next time round for fucks sake :lol

Fuck me, if Sega PR don't do their fucking jobs and advertise Yakuza 3 MAYBE A LITTLE BIT, nice waste of an everyones time for no reason. Who honestly could give a shit about a palm tree and a sunflower picture? Yes well done, just show some screenshots from GHZ and say its going to be a 2.5d remake/rejigger of Sonic 1 possibly mixing in Sonic 2 stuff as well and it won't be a big surprise when its revealed.

Chao

AwakenedCloud said:
Oh goodness, what if they just took the highest rated levels and tweaked them slightly using that engine :lol :lol

I thought that was the main point of the Sonic level editor when they started to hint at Needlemouse's 2D classic style.

RubyEclipse said:
I'd say the real reward is coming this Thursday; the concept art and the music today are really just the appetizers.

Again, though, I could sit here and type for days and it wouldn't really make a difference. Once Thursday comes around, we'll see if people agree.

Thats fine then ;)

See you on thursday:D

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
Teknoman said:
I'm really looking forward to the special stages, and I hope people arent fooled by the banner, thinking the game will be nothing more than Sonic 1 remix.

Wow the blog really is busted Ruby :lol 1000+ comments and still climbing.

I know! We have over 500+ awaiting moderation right now, too... and I can't get to them. :lol

Teknoman

Heh, and with people being able to repost to win prizes... man you've got your work cut out for you.

Cant say I wont add to that load, but still.

OMG Aero

RubyEclipse said:

Is the reward just the confirmation of a name that we already know? Because that isn't a reward at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom