• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega was ahead of it's time with Sega Channel the Netflix of Gaming before Netflix even existed

wipeout364

Wasn’t this closer to Steam than Netflix. I thought you had to download the game? I admit though it was a pretty wild idea for the early nineties.

Intellivision beat Sega to this same thing over a decade earlier (Also Philips and Tandy). People continue to overhype and overrate Sega, their not in the hardware business anymore guys lol.

People keep trying to preserve its legacy on the net and wiki by acting like this thing got praised as a pioneer for online gaming when it wasn't at the time, nor was it the first and also was done more incompetently, yet nobody talks about the actual pioneers, no wonder there cant ever be an accurate gaming history book, too many biased revisions.

They weren't ever that good and their execution was poor hence why they had so many failed products. People with lesser intellect will dismiss this as a hate rant but when you have people writing other compsnies out of existence to artificially pump Sega up it pisses people off, especially those who've been with the industry since the late 70's.

no wonder there cant ever be an accurate gaming history book, too many biased revisions.

Correct. Here is an example of some:

They weren't ever that good and their execution was poor hence why they had so many failed products. People with lesser intellect will dismiss this as a hate rant but when you have people writing other compsnies out of existence to artificially pump Sega up it pisses people off, especially those who've been with the industry since the late 70's.

onQ123

Wasn’t this closer to Steam than Netflix. I thought you had to download the game? I admit though it was a pretty wild idea for the early nineties.

The Games downloaded into RAM much like a game loading into RAM when you put a CD or DVD into older consoles before the days of consoles with harddrives.

onQ123

Intellivision beat Sega to this same thing over a decade earlier (Also Philips and Tandy). People continue to overhype and overrate Sega, their not in the hardware business anymore guys lol.

People keep trying to preserve its legacy on the net and wiki by acting like this thing got praised as a pioneer for online gaming when it wasn't at the time, nor was it the first and also was done more incompetently, yet nobody talks about the actual pioneers, no wonder there cant ever be an accurate gaming history book, too many biased revisions.

So instead of yapping off on a rant how about posting some facts about Intellivision's monthly gaming service from the 80's

Several companies tried this, issue is back in those days it cost way too much to be viable, and eventually the cable companies would start complaining about costs as well.

I dont think there was anyway to make this work before the 2000s. At least affordably. But it was cool for the time.

I think in Segas case they needed to put more time on it, they were trying to extend the Genesis life in like 13 different ways at the same time when they should of focused on 2 or 3.

Shifty

Nintendo tried something similar using sattelite radio as a data transport method with the Sattelaview add-on for the SNES:

They even turned games into live radio play dramas / podcasts in some cases on account of the broadcasts having specific timeslots, so you'd get story and hints in audio form live as the game was running.
Kind of mental how ahead of its time all of these precursors to digital distribution were. Seems gimmicky in retrospect, but they were certainly chasing innovation.

While its flattering you're follwong me around in multiple threads Im afraid I don't roll that way.

Now if you'll let him answer the question, thanks.
How about you contribute some actual content to the thread like an article or video on these supposed Intellivision/Philips/Tandy products?

And I say this as someone who isn't "follwong you around", mister "lesser intellect". Nobody cares about that chip on your shoulder.

Last edited:
Several companies tried this, issue is back in those days it cost way too much to be viable, and eventually the cable companies would start complaining about costs as well.

I dont think there was anyway to make this work before the 2000s. At least affordably. But it was cool for the time.

I think in Segas case they needed to put more time on it, they were trying to extend the Genesis life in like 13 different ways at the same time when they should of focused on 2 or 3.

All that really matters were the games and SoJ decided to cut their nose to spite their face when they ended support for it in the world when the US and Europe were still buying the consoles and games.

Some ideas were pretty great but it only seemed to have been for richer families who could afford this idea of theirs.

I wonder what could have been if SEGA let their other studios support the Mega Drive/Genesis for another 2 years ....

Last edited:
honestly im shocked netflix hasnt created its own channels yet.

give me a 24/7 game streaming channel. also an MTV og channel. just stream music videos from all eras 24/7 (or at least spotify should do that one)

dont even need hosts. just put on a playlist of content, like people do with youtube or their holiday fireplace channel

All that really matters were the games and SoJ decided to cut their nose to spite their face when they ended support for it in the world when the US and Europe were still buying the consoles and games.

Some ideas were pretty great but it only seemed to have been for richer families who could afford this idea of theirs.

I wonder what could have been if SEGA let their other studios support the Mega Drive/Genesis for another 2 years ....

Nah, if SoJ didn't gut SoA after the Genesis the Saturn might have ended up much better and more ideas might have actually worked. NoA was desperately trying to extend the Genesis life but NoJ spit on them every time, gutted their power, and then quick released a Saturn with few games and at the highest price. Also abruptly killed the Genesis.

Listen, we get it: You're a butthurt Nintendo kid who never got over the praise for and innovation at Sega that was well deserved.

At this point it has been years, you need to get over it and stop posting low quality bait in an attempt to hook replies to give yourself a false sense of importance. You should be enjoying your Switch, not posting nonsense here to distract from whatever problems are going on in your life.

It is especially disappointing to see this behaviour from someone who has been in the industry since the 70's acting like a 12 year old fanboy whose parents only bought them a Nintendo console.

You would imagine if you had a job at the time you could have afforded to get Sega consoles too but alas the bitterness stays with you all this time.

Be better.

Vawn

Banned
I loved having Sega Channel back then. I always wish Nintendo would do a similar thing, but it never happened.

PSFan

Nintendo tried something similar using sattelite radio as a data transport method with the Sattelaview add-on for the SNES:

They even turned games into live radio play dramas / podcasts in some cases on account of the broadcasts having specific timeslots, so you'd get story and hints in audio form live as the game was running.
Kind of mental how ahead of its time all of these precursors to digital distribution were. Seems gimmicky in retrospect, but they were certainly chasing innovation.

How about you contribute some actual content to the thread like an article or video on these supposed Intellivision/Philips/Tandy products?

And I say this as someone who isn't "follwong you around", mister "lesser intellect". Nobody cares about that chip on your shoulder.

Didn't Nintendo have something like that for the Famicom (NES) as well? Or was that just a modem device for connecting to stuff like stock information and things. I remember reading about something like that a long time ago.

Last edited:

Shifty

Didn't Nintendo have something like that for the Famicom (NES) as well? Or was that just a modem device for connecting to stuff like stock information and things. I remember reading about something like that a long time ago.
The only thing I can think of is the Famicom Disk System, but to the best of my knowledge that didn't connect to any kind of online service.

It did have fancy vending machines that would write games to a reusable floppy disk for money though, wild times!

86_Famicom_Disk_System_Writer.jpg

(Look at the side of it, dat ass :messenger_tears_of_joy:)

Orenji Neko

Yeah I had Sega Channel back in the day and it was pretty damn cool. Actually stopped renting Genesis games at the local store because I really just didn't need to anymore outside of having Sega Channel and the games I would just outright buy. Back in the 90s having that, a computer with AOL...the whole emerging, connected, internet experience was just this really fun feeling of something very new and full of discovery. I was playing SNES and Sega, deathmatches on Doom, then going into VG related chat rooms and talking about games and stuff, or sending emails to my girlfriend when I was grounded from the phone lmao. So quaint now but for the late teenager version of myself in the 90s, it was awesome.

onQ123

The only thing I can think of is the Famicom Disk System, but to the best of my knowledge that didn't connect to any kind of online service.

It did have fancy vending machines that would write games to a reusable floppy disk for money though, wild times!

Times that should come back

Drop a few of them off around town & let people download games to their cards

PSFan

Wow, I knew about the disk system, but this is the first time I've ever seen one. Looks like it was just a regular 3.5" floppy drive. And that vending machine just put legal roms on the disk. Did any japanese hackers figure out how to get the roms off the disk back then? Seems like it would be an easy thing for them to figure out.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Yup, I remember being blown away by the concept of this as a kid and wanting it really bad. Too bad I never got it.

Listen, we get it: You're a butthurt Nintendo kid who never got over the praise for and innovation at Sega that was well deserved.

At this point it has been years, you need to get over it and stop posting low quality bait in an attempt to hook replies to give yourself a false sense of importance. You should be enjoying your Switch, not posting nonsense here to distract from whatever problems are going on in your life.

It is especially disappointing to see this behaviour from someone who has been in the industry since the 70's acting like a 12 year old fanboy whose parents only bought them a Nintendo console.

You would imagine if you had a job at the time you could have afforded to get Sega consoles too but alas the bitterness stays with you all this time.

Be better.

You gotta be pretty mentally damaged to think im a Nintendo fanboy when none of the three companies I mentioned included them.

You still seem to be stuck in the early 90's Snes war, come back to reality.

Not one idea from Sega they pioneered, fanboys like yourself artificially inflate them and write more important companies out of existence to keep them relevant, when Sega was the most incompetently run home console company that's ever had a success. The genesis was an accident, and because the genesis was popular for a minute things like Sega channel in retrospect got buzz from fans but it was a failure and people forgot about it during the genesis' relevance.

Theres nothing to be butthurt about, only Sega fanboys desperate to make Segas name relevant are the ones butthurt, you guys constantly lie about Segas unique ideas when all of them were done before them and in some cases better.

Their console record was trash, that's a thing no Sega fan will admit while still enjoying their games. I don't know why.

The SG-1000 was a colecovision clone, the Mastersystem was poorly executed, the Genesis took until 91 to take off despite releasing in 88. They then managed to cut their own success and the Genesis ended with a wimper.

The Saturn was the result of Sega not realizing why the genesis was popular leading to a poor library and in addition, infighting, price, and poor marketing kneecapped it in the first few months. In the US, losing to a fire sale 3DO for 3 months straight iirc, while the PSX was outselling it 3:1 3 months in a row.

Dreamcast cut the Saturn early screwing up the good word of mouth that was building and their strategy for which audiences to target was just as disorganized as before with an online mode that wasn't pushed as hard as it should of been, especially in Japan and Europe.

They are out of the industry because they never figured out how to run or sustain a console or run their divisions properly. I really don't understand why people fight against that. They only had one success which they themselves screwed up on in the end. They had 17 years to figure that out and never did.

The only reason why this bothers guys like me is it screws with the contributions of other contributors to the industry by basically artificially inflating Segas importance and status. Even Now they still have problems, it's just a company that was never not poorly run and never planned ahead.

Even in arcades they messed up after 96 wasting money which was dumb because arcades outside of japan were already declining.

I didnt even get into the 5 or 6 dufferent add-one and services Sega desperately made to try and salvage the genesis.

Anyone that's been in the industry before and around the NES generally has the same opinion. But see Sega fans have now convinced themselves most people that factually criticize the company and it's fans are Nintendo fans. Even though the first company I mentioned in my post was Mattel but ok. To be frank Nintendo's worse with their fans screwing up gaming history especially since many of the game journalists have nes biases, but Sega fans are insanely loud because they are desperately trying to find some way, any way, for a retrospective look of Segas home console record not look like a 17 year long trainwreck of failure.

Things like Mattel doing this same thing that the OP posted is fact, you didn't even know about it because Sega channel has been inflated as a pioneering ahead of its time feature for awhile. Wiki pages even removed Playcable and CD-I service stuff years ago and Sega channel is the only thing there. Game journalists do the same thing with historical articles usualky with "I miss Sega" related headlines and going over all these pioneering services that already existed and giving Sega 100% credit for a worse implementation (in some cases) of an existing idea.

Of course they put out some good games. In fact I like a good few of them.

Btw, playing A.B cop, decent game, too bad they never ported it. Would be great if they ported more of their arcade only games. Id especially like a model 3 collection on Xbo/Ps4 as well.

Psajdak

Banned
With all due respect to Sega, fact is, they lost to Sony, and Nintendo, and all they could was just make games for them.

Let us not pretend like they are some company of gaming dreams.

RAIDEN1

No 2 ways about it they were a one-hit-wonder on the hardware scene, it just surprises me they never pulled out of being a hardware developer after the Saturn, when they clearly no longer had the financial muscle to stick around for the fight that would be upon them soon as the PS2 launched and then the Xbox....so they have no-one to blame but themselves for being a shadow of what they once were at one point of time...king of the hill on the arcade scene and giving as good as they got with Nintendo in the Genesis/SNES wars in the early to mid 90s....

Last edited:

Mr Nash

square pies = communism

And the Sattelaview was based on the Taito Wowow after that console prototype got scrapped.

Nah, if SoJ didn't gut SoA after the Genesis the Saturn might have ended up much better and more ideas might have actually worked. NoA was desperately trying to extend the Genesis life but NoJ spit on them every time, gutted their power, and then quick released a Saturn with few games and at the highest price. Also abruptly killed the Genesis.

Probably but sadly we will never know. :(

They also messed up their European fanbase by treating us poorly which is how Sony got a foothold quickly.

Even then, Sony is still pretty bad with Europe as we have missed out on many games Americans got.

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

The Genesis always would have a limited shelf-life, there is a certain point where Sega would have had to have moved on...it was a completely pointless idea to bring the 32x into the mix.. just to get more life out of the system when the focus totally should have really been on the Saturn...how with that one system they un-did (for want of a better word) all the good work they had done with the genesis.....is totally incomprehensible....by the time the Dreamcast did come out it was too little to late..

The Genesis always would have a limited shelf-life, there is a certain point where Sega would have had to have moved on...it was a completely pointless idea to bring the 32x into the mix.. just to get more life out of the system when the focus totally should have really been on the Saturn...how with that one system they un-did (for want of a better word) all the good work they had done with the genesis.....is totally incomprehensible....by the time the Dreamcast did come out it was too little to late..

Actually the Genesis was struggling even without 32.

But actually the 32x is the one thing I don't blame Sega for. Jaguar is the sole reason it was greendot because it pushed 3D console gaming at a level not expected in 93, and the Saturn wouldn't be ready until 94. Then shortly after you had the 3DO release the same year and early 94 Sony PSX demos in Japan.

So I understand why they put the 32X on the table, to get short-term sales and gain momentum into the Saturn.

What I DONT GET about the 32x is why Sega spend money on preparing software and hardware but barely supported the 32X post-launch and had near zero developer outreach. They sabotaged their own idea. An idea that would have PREPARED DEVELOPERS FOR THE SATURN BECAUSE THE DEV TOOLS WERE NEARLY THE SAME. which would have made Saturn development easier.

But at least the 32x had a logical reason to exist. And Still it was cool to play Virtua Fighter on the Genesis.

Komatsu

SEGA did a lot of things right and the whole “one hit wonder” thingy is America-centric BS, with all due respect. SEGA did very well in Europe and in Latin America with the Master System, the Saturn was not a failure in Japan and the Dreamcast launch broke all the records for an entertainment product launch - I was there and 9/9/99 was wild.

Terrible leadership sunk them, but a quick look at their catalog shows was a superb developer they were. From the original Phantasy Star (that absolutely blew the original FF out of the water in 87) to Shenmue (the grandfather of Open World gaming), they were often ahead of their time.

And their online pioneering didn’t stop with the SEGA channel, the late 90s SEGA.NET was also a blast.

Last edited:

Orenji Neko

SEGA did a lot of things right and the whole “one hit wonder” thingy is America-centric BS, with all due respect. SEGA did very well in Europe and in Latin America with the Master System, the Saturn was not a failure in Japan and the Dreamcast launch broke all the records for an entertainment product launch - I was there and 9/9/99 was wild.

Terrible leadership sunk them, but a quick look at their catalog shows was a superb developer they were. From the original Phantasy Star (that absolutely blew the original FF out of the water in 87) to Shenmue (the grandfather of Open World gaming), they were often ahead of their time.

And their online pioneering didn’t stop with the SEGA channel, the late 90s SEGA.NET was also a blast.

Exactly! Thank you! The Master System was a marked success over the NES in many areas outside of the US and Japan. The Saturn in Japan is legendary for it's lineup (and for SoA not mining the gold for the western markets), and the Dreamcast was easily in the position to be a major thing; it's launch was incredible, the games were there and there is a good reason the system is fondly looked back on while it's early demise is lamented. Sega's failures came from the company itself; SoA and SoJ regularly didn't get along or agree on many things and that was going on even in the supposed "one hit wonder" Genesis/Mega Drive days. Tom Kalinske wouldn't have been able to package Sonic the Hedgehog in with the Genesis had it not been for the president of SoJ allowing him to do so, because everyone else there, according to him, did not want to do what they felt like was simply giving away a killer app. Tom was right, and that was just one move that paid back big time in the US market. Even his good moves didn't prevent weird and arrogant bullshit falling on him later on (The Saturn-is-available-right-now announcement), and soon he parted ways.

Sega fell on their own sword, not on that of Sony or Nintendo. They were simply a wounded presence, by their own hand, that their competitors simply walked past in the later years versus some incorrectly assumed "fight" that Sega engaged in and lost.....unless you are talking about the fight that they had with themselves. A lot of this information is available all over the place online and it's a rather telling, tragic, and pretty damned frustrating tale to say the least. I forget the channel, but on Youtube there was a really good interview (actually there are a few) with Tom Kalinske were he details a lot of the internal problems.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
My cousin had it for free because my Aunt worked for the local cable company at the time. Felt like the future, then a short time later I had my own Pentium PC with internet and DOOM TCP/IP for days!

Time was so much slower back then.

Last edited:

No it's not BS.

The Master system wassold decent jumbers in Europe, especially for in some countries, being the sole option, and Brazil relative to the console markets in this regions. Which was small. Sega didn't make much commercial success on the MS.

The Saturn didn't do that well in japan after the initial launch, it sold 5 million in less time than the N64 which came in late.

That's better than Sega ever did in Japan before or after, but that doesn't mean it sold well, they had some of the same big games as Playstation and it did squat. The Saturn as a whole was a financial failure.

Not to mention with Sega it was always a money issue not a numerical issue. Despite selling over 20 million Mega Drives Sega was losing profits bmwhen they screwed up the MD in the end, and the Saturn screw up hurt them irreparably.

That should tell you they never had that much cash in the first place. They were run poorly.

Dreamcast sold around 10 million consoles at a decent pace yet still lost money because they were spending top dollar to try and make it seem like the market was going for the DC when it generally wasn't as the revenue declined, and most of it's fake success road on NA hype. NoA was going in hard but when you run out of money the games over. To be fair Sega HAD to use this strategy though if they wanted the DC to possibly be a success since they launched it broke in the first place.

Another major issue is Sega had very few big hits. Excluding sonic, if you were trying to make a "top 10 million selling" Sega games list across their consoles you couldn't do it. They never really had many big games to draw prople in and spend more money on the Sega console ecosystem. Sonic 1 was the first, because of bundling which missed off Soj. Sonic 2 was the second and the last with 6 million.

Meanwhile Star Fox in 93 with expensive price tags sold over 3 million units and Virtua Racing couldn't get 1 with the Genesis and 32x versions combined.

RAIDEN1

32x was a knee-jerk reaction in some respects, because had Sega looked at what the Jaguar REALLY was they would have realised that for all its "64 bit promise" it didn't take the gaming market by storm, and from a development point of view wasn't exactly cutting edge either..within a year of the 32x release, on paper you would have the Saturn coming up...which was to be the true successor to the genesis/Megadrive...investing significant resources/money into the 32x project for just over a year was a pointless exercise when Sega would have been better served in trying to make the Saturn easier to develop for, for a start, which was never an issue with their previous systems..though I get that yes the 32x would have been good ground to gain a foothold in Saturn development, but it did no-one any favours in having two systems that are similarly as powerful as it were, but at two different price points...had the Saturn not been in such close proximity in terms of release window then yeah the 32x may have done better than it ultimately turned out to be...

32x was a knee-jerk reaction in some respects, because had Sega looked at what the Jaguar REALLY was they would have realised that for all its "64 bit promise" it didn't take the gaming market by storm, and from a development point of view wasn't exactly cutting edge either..within a year of the 32x release, on paper you would have the Saturn coming up...which was to be the true successor to the genesis/Megadrive...investing significant resources/money into the 32x project for just over a year was a pointless exercise when Sega would have been better served in trying to make the Saturn easier to develop for, for a start, which was never an issue with their previous systems..though I get that yes the 32x would have been good ground to gain a foothold in Saturn development, but it did no-one any favours in having two systems that are similarly as powerful as it were, but at two different price points...had the Saturn not been in such close proximity in terms of release window then yeah the 32x may have done better than it ultimately turned out to be...

Like I said, I see why Sega did it and to be honest I think many other companies would have did the same thing. The Genesis was already declining then and the Jaguar demos were good. Sega or Atari were not expecting the 3DO to trounce the Jaguar despite being a weaker console on paper, and that chip costs would drop so fast that the impressive Jaguar demonstrations would be quickly outdated in half a year.

You can tell this is the case because when the 3DO releases showed better graphics in the west, and the Sony PlayStation demonstrations showed better graphics than even that in Japan. In response, Sega quickly added a second VDP into the Saturn to make it more competitive. Hindsight is one thing but I don't think there was anyway Sega could predict the future there. The main issue I had with the Saturn from a development standpoint is Sega was putting out 3D arcade machines but didn't focus on it much for its home consoles. The Saturn was originally going to be a 2D device with limited 3D capabilities originally until it was bumped up a little once the Jaguar showed up, which is why the 32X was put out as a stop gap, but when they saw the consoles more powerful than even the Jaguar they basically scrambled in panic.

If Sega made the Saturn a good 2D, but primarily 3D console from the start, maybe like a Model 2-lite with easy development tools, the story may have been different. But to be fair to Sega it was unclear what direction the industry was going in, some companies like NEC and Casio made systems focused almost entirely on FMV. Even when those failed and the PSX won they still had many FMV/3D hybrid games on the PlayStation.

I think that unlike the Sega CD which was purely experimental, that the 32X was a logical response based on what Sega's execs and engineers saw going on in the industry.

RAIDEN1

For me the Saturn was 1992 tech coming out in 1995 in some respects...as it has been said the Saturn project kicked off in 1992...back then 3d wasn't as popular so it would have been ok to go for a 2D powerhouse (aka a Sega neo-geo) with modest 3d capabilities...and this is what I always thought that back in 93/94 there was Sega bringing out cutting edge games like Virtua Fighter and Daytona yet on the home-front they couldn't get their act together..just questions of "what if" remain....

Last edited:
Top Bottom