• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega were Pissed at the 3D S&K, so how will they respond to it being PLAYABLE?

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
charlequin said:
There are far more people offering constructive criticism of something that's impressive but still has lots of room for improvement than "hate" in this thread, and more people expressing confusion about the "hate" than either. :p
Glad this was pointed out. Are some of you guys even reading the actual comments in this thread? :lol

Hardly anyone here is outright hating on the fan project. In fact, most have been offering heaps of praise. It's very impressive work, and it's been said many times over. But that doesn't absolve it from some much needed constructive criticism. The "game" is not perfect by any means, but a few minor tweaks can objectively improve the look and feel of it.

It seems like any form of disapproval, no matter how minor or well-intentioned, is automatically lumped in as "hate" these days. Not exactly my favorite trend :/

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Catalix said:
Glad this was pointed out. Are some of you guys even reading the actual comments in this thread? :lol
Considering how these comments seem to refer to the first few replies of this thread and make no mention of what was discussed afterwards, something tells me you got it.

Catalix said:
It seems like any form of disapproval, no matter how minor or well-intentioned, is automatically lumped in as "hate" these days. Not exactly my favorite trend :/
I noticed it too. Many threads lately seem to tend to build two completely opposite sides, either naturally or artificially with all the mentions of haters and hiveminds, arguing with each other regardless of the actual topic at hand. I mean, it always happened (damn you, human nature), but probably not this often.

Catalix said:

The only possible thing anyone could possibly hate about this project ATM is the title screen, but who gives a fuck about a bad title screen? :lol

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
I think the guys who did that are pretty talented and it looks good.

Better than Sonic 4? Not in my opinion.

Oh, and constructive or respectful criticism = not hate. Irrational comments like "this sucks" or "sega needs to learn from these guys" puts a comment into a hate category.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
ChronicleX said:
In more ways than one. When fans can produce stuff better than a paid team of people that do this for a living some shit isnt right.

Because this time its playable.

This is quoting from the first page but I just got to this thread.

I wouldn't make the mistake of assuming that these guys are just fans. They are, or should be, artists and maybe a programmer working in the industry. Getting this to run in Unity wouldn't take a couple of tech savvy, experienced artists all that long. Add a programmer and it'd take even less time.

Personally I think people who do this kind of stuff, like they did with Diablo III, are pretty disrespectful people. If you think you can do better, create your own original game. The point of an exercise like this is only to show that one game can be approached in different ways. Sonic 4 in no way looks bad. I don't have a lot of respect for people who go out of their way to try to outshine someone else's work.

Fugu

I think if they had stuck more to the original palate, then I would find it generally very difficult to criticize. As it stands right now though, it's obstructing my enjoyment of an otherwise fantastic prospect.

Nose Master

Looks leagues better than Sonic 4. I don't think it's "too busy." The background could be altered a bit, but that's it.

Also: Sonic and Knuckles is only $2.50 on live? Bought it just to have something to play for twenty minutes while CV demo downloaded :lol

Thunderbear said:
Personally I think people who do this kind of stuff, like they did with Diablo III, are pretty disrespectful people. If you think you can do better, create your own original game. The point of an exercise like this is only to show that one game can be approached in different ways. Sonic 4 in no way looks bad. I don't have a lot of respect for people who go out of their way to try to outshine someone else's work.

They are giving the public what it wants, and the public wants a retro sonic with a modern look which sonic4 is NOT. Anyone could shit on toast to instantly outshine Sega nowdays and if they did at least they would be selling an honest product instead of attempting to conceal the turd in a shell of another random woodland critter.

ChronicleX said:
They are giving the public what it wants, and the public wants a retro sonic with a modern look which sonic4 is NOT. Anyone could shit on toast to instantly outshine Sega nowdays and if they did at least they would be selling an honest product instead of attempting to conceal the turd in a shell of another random woodland critter.
:lol

And how do *you* know what the public wants? You do know the Advance/Rush games pretty much sell on par with what the originals did not counting system pack-ins, yeah?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Strange that there is a divided reaction to this... that looked amazing to me.

Fugu

Thunderbear said:
This is quoting from the first page but I just got to this thread.

I wouldn't make the mistake of assuming that these guys are just fans. They are, or should be, artists and maybe a programmer working in the industry. Getting this to run in Unity wouldn't take a couple of tech savvy, experienced artists all that long. Add a programmer and it'd take even less time.

I don't understand; you have a problem with people providing their own interpretation of works that they like but would change?

Segata Sanshiro said:
do *you* know what the public wants? You do know the Advance/Rush games pretty much sell on par with what the originals did not counting system pack-ins, yeah?

And you realize that them games are called Advance/Rush and not Sonic4 right? /facepalm
No-one gives a shit that shovelware sells, look at the 3D sonic games in the last decade. They sell but they are shit, some to the point of hilarity.

Gravijah

ChronicleX said:
People will buy any old shit at least once, then your pushing it unless they are backward (see Pokemon).

Uhm... What?

Also, what's wrong with the Advance/Rush series? I definitely wouldn't call them shit or shovelware. Not on par with the original trilogy, but definitely not shit.

JoeyX

Neo Member
I was about to say, in response to that video, that Sonic the Hedgehog (PS3/360) looked absolutely amazing pre-release.

Then I remembered a certain cycle.

I finished that game and encountered a lot of those glitches (and then some)

Gravijah said:
Uhm... What?

Also, what's wrong with the Advance/Rush series? I definitely wouldn't call them shit or shovelware. Not on par with the original trilogy, but definitely not shit.

They are not pretending to be something they are not. They do not claim to be on par with 1-3 and they are not. Doesn't mean I can't expect a certain standard now does it? See Gameboy Mario. However for many years every 3D sonic game since Adventure has been a bunch of false hopes and promises. Claiming Sonic4 to be a "continuation" of the trilogy is just... the words to describe it have not been invented yet but I shall invent them eventually and get back to you but whatever them words are Sonic4 is that. A massive that.

Okay, so you're saying that the public wants the Sonic games that are selling, but someday they're going to wake up and realize that they're actually shitty games because special little snowflake ChronicleX doesn't like them? Get over yourself. There's a lot of shit I like that isn't what "the public" wants, you don't see me invoking them falsely to back my tastes up.

BURR BURR SEGA WHY DON'T YOU GIVE THE PUBLIC WHAT THEY WANT AND DO A FULL-ON HD $50 MILLION BUDGETED NiGHTS GAME

THE PUBLIC DEMANDS IT

ALSO I HAVE LEGALLY CHANGED MY NAME TO "THE PUBLIC"

Gravijah

Segata Sanshiro said:
Okay, so you're saying that the public wants the Sonic games that are selling, but someday they're going to wake up and realize that they're actually shitty games because special little snowflake ChronicleX doesn't like them? Get over yourself. There's a lot of shit I like that isn't what "the public" wants, you don't see me invoking them falsely to back my tastes up.

BURR BURR SEGA WHY DON'T YOU GIVE THE PUBLIC WHAT THEY WANT AND DO A FULL-ON HD $50 MILLION BUDGETED NiGHTS GAME

THE PUBLIC DEMANDS IT

ALSO I HAVE LEGALLY CHANGED MY NAME TO "THE PUBLIC"

Bad news... seems someone made a typo, and your name is actually "THE PUBIC".

Segata Sanshiro said:
There's a lot of shit I like that isn't what "the public" wants, you don't see me invoking them falsely to back my tastes up."

Which is just you being a slave to the machine, buying any old tripe because you convince yourself its good. Then the publishers keep making shite, you keep buying the shite which gives them more money for more shite. It's the same with movies and music. SP vs The World flopped at the box office and Soulja boy has a career because people are stupid, most of them Americans.

Gravijah said:
Bad news... seems someone made a typo, and your name is actually "THE PUBIC".

I wonder if this someone has a Pokemon avatar. Sure sounds like a stupid person that would eat shit if fed it considering it likes pokemons.

Gravijah

ChronicleX said:
Which is just you being a slave to the machine, buying any old tripe because you convince yourself its good. Then the publishers keep making shite, you keep buying the shite which gives them more money for more shite. It's the same with movies and music. SP vs The World flopped at the box office and Soulja boy has a career because people are stupid, most of them Americans.

Newsflash: People like things because they enjoy them. Just because you're incapable of liking things that DA MAN SELLZ TO YOU GASPz0RZ, doesn't mean everyone else. There's nothing wrong with Soulja Boy. I mean, if tons of people liking him bothers you so much, you must be living a pretty angry life.

ChronicleX said:
I wonder if this someone has a Pokemon avatar. Sure sounds like a stupid person that would eat shit if fed it considering it likes pokemons.

I don't even know how to respond to this. You're so full of yourself. You're judging people based on the things they like... Hell, not even the things they like. Pieces.

ChronicleX said:

You aren't even making sense. How does me liking Yakuza but understanding that just because *I* like Yakuza it doesn't mean I can go around saying "the public demands Yakuza" lead to me being a slave to the machine?

You're a rebel without a cause, man. I appreciate your energy but you need to direct it better, because you're looking like a clown.

P.S. Sonic games sell best in Europe, not America. Yes, even the new ones.

Gravijah

ChronicleX said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

You pretty much proved my point.

I suppose if your point was "Hey, Gravijah is a pretty open minded guy with a wide variety of tastes" then sure, I proved your point.

MMaRsu said:
There's nothing wrong with Soulja Boy?

LOLOL

Hey, dude is doin' what he wants to do. I'm not going to go out of my way to consume his music, but it definitely doesn't bother me and I don't really see anything wrong with it.

Ranger X

I think that looked way better than Sonic 4. And if they can nail good control, since the game design is down already, this would instantly be a better game than Sonic 4 I suppose.

Yet again, fans that are making a better game for me than anything Sega good. (I remind Street of Rage remake).

clav

The creator is releasing this game next week to the interwebs. One guy holding a beta copy says that it looks great in 1920x1080 resolution.

Here are some screenshots that the creator posted.

rwl3jr.jpg

aden9w.jpg

16895av.jpg

fbas15.jpg

30sggt5.jpg

http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=19981

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Looks like they used some color correction for the bg layer. Looks better now.

wwm0nkey said:
Now you get something better and get to save $15 :D
Pretty much.

It genuinely looks a lot better than anything Sonic Team has done in the last 15 years. If it "feels" right then, yeah, a damning conclusion of how Sonic Team have lost it. Not that we didn't already know that. :lol

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Wait this shit is actually being released to the public to play? Fuck YEAH! I was thinking of buying Sonic4 but now I'm definitely not.

Edit:: Oh, just a demo. Still pretty nice.

Top Bottom