• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega will release "Golden Axed: A Cancelled Prototype" Oct 18 on Steam

celsowmbr

Banned

At the beginning of this decade, SEGA Studios Australia was working on a series of reboots of classic SEGA IP, known collectively as the SEGA Reborn series. These included 2.5D reboots of Golden Axe, Altered Beast, and Streets of Rage, as well as an endless runner version of Shinobi, all encompassed in a universal hub world.

Sadly SEGA Studios Australia’s doors were shuttered in 2013, and with it the SEGA Reborn project was lost to the annals of video game history.

Until now.

GA1_resized.gif

Last edited:

Stuart360

Well its only 1 level, but its free so yeah why not.
Hopefully they have some more surprises in store for their 60th anniversary, like ports of Daytona 2 and Scud Race. :messenger_sunglasses:

Their page says they were also working on Altered Beast, Streets of Rage, and an endless runner version of Shinobi. I wonder if we will see those games released as well.

Kazza

I tried looking at the montage at the end as slowly as possible to see what else may come, but then I saw Michael Jackson's Moonwalker so I don't think the montage is indicative of anything - of all the games that may be rereleased, that strikes me as one of the least likely:

YuLY

Oh man...this is such a cool idea. Can you guys imagine if Prey 2 the one cancelled by Human Head was suddenly announced just like this for Steam. I would probably literally faint.

McCheese

This is awesome, I know there is no money in it for companies to release their unfinished prototypes, and you'll get a bunch of idiots who don't know what a prototype is and end up giving them grief over how buggy it is. But I really wish more companies would just say "fuck it" and throw them out there so they live on in some shape or form.

Going to leave this a positive steam review once it drops to encourage more of it!

Reactions: Isa

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
This looks real bad, but releasing it for free like this as a piece of gaming history is a really cool move.

Sentenza

I'm going to assume these prototypes will be released for free like some sort of oddity for the fans, right?

MiguelItUp

Man, it still saddens me how many awesome IPs Sega has that they do absolutely nothing with. :(

Give me a new Golden Axe, Altered Beast, Alien Syndrome, Alien Storm, god, so many more.

I tried looking at the montage at the end as slowly as possible to see what else may come, but then I saw Michael Jackson's Moonwalker so I don't think the montage is indicative of anything - of all the games that may be rereleased, that strikes me as one of the least likely:

Man, Moonwalker is such a cool game. Only SEGA could so such a thing, the game blew my mind as a kid. Playing as fucking Michael Jackson!

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia

Fat Frog

Man, it still saddens me how many awesome IPs Sega has that they do absolutely nothing with. :(

Give me a new Golden Axe, Altered Beast, Alien Syndrome, Alien Storm, god, so many more.
There are doyens of revivals on the road and crazy stuffs like Streets of Kamurocho. Sega is on fire with old IPS...

MiguelItUp

There are doyens of revivals on the road and crazy stuffs like Streets of Kamurocho. Sega is on fire with old IPS...
Honestly I feel like we HAVE been on a tiny up and up the last few years. The Wonder/Monster Boys, Streets Of Rage 4, and we have the remake of Alex Kidd coming too. I just hope we keep getting more and more. :)

Fat Frog

Honestly I feel like we HAVE been on a tiny up and up the last few years. The Wonder/Monster Boys, Streets Of Rage 4, and we have the remake of Alex Kidd coming too. I just hope we keep getting more and more. :)
It won't stop anytime soon.
Mini consoles are selling well (which means more Revenge of Death Adder, Dark Edge...) and
Panzer Dragoon Remake was already profitable Switch (PS4, Xbox, Stagiaires, Luna, PC releases are just bonuses for the Publisher)

PSO 2 and 3 looks awesome too. (it's already a cash machine)

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
Someone is going to look at this if these do good numbers. Someone will follow suit if these do good numbers.

Problem is it looks like typical shit that doesn’t deserve to be released. Maybe it plays better.

Top Bottom