• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - Essential Combat Tips For Beginners

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I’m hype for this but I’m not gonna watch it, I rather discover how the combat works myself just like I did with Souls and Bloodborne.

Last edited:
This is definitely a helpful video. Just meticulously lays out the combat rules in a clear way. I feel ready now.

Pretty neat that a dodge forward counters thrust unblockables. Makes sense to close the distance to neutralize a spear. The follow up strikes after the prosthetic arm are a lot more clear now too. I liked the shuriken follow up slash.

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
I'm going to practice the timing of that parry for several hours so that it becomes second nature.

Seems like a lot of the combat revolves around successfully parrying attacks to break your opponents stance?

I have really limited experience with these kind of games but am excited to give this a go and try to master it.

Orpheum

I just recently started looking into this game. Completely forgot it's about to release. I expected it to be just another soulsborne game but the combat in this looks fucking amazing. Can't play it day one but i will as soon as possible

Finished and enjoyed all of the Soulsborne games but....I never successfully parried an attack in any of them. I'm hesitant about this one.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
my tip: don't die.

seriously though. don't let people tell you how to play the game. go into it and figure out what works best for you. if you don't die then you're doing alright.

I'm going to practice the timing of that parry for several hours so that it becomes second nature.

Seems like a lot of the combat revolves around successfully parrying attacks to break your opponents stance?

I have really limited experience with these kind of games but am excited to give this a go and try to master it.
parrying is very important in soulsborne games. well you can get through without it but if you know how to do it then it makes the game so much easier. the only game i can parry in is Bloodborne.

EDIT: holy shit. i have tried avoiding a lot of gameplay footage but it sounds just like bloodborne <3 that opening scene i recognise that sound anywhere. also all that blood gushing out...i love it.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

I bet it won't be an hour long mechanic to memorize. I think with the amount of time put into Souls, Nioh, and Bloodborne.. it'll be second nature. I can't wait to play it. (It won't take an incredibly long time to memorize how to play).

I wouldn't go by what some early adapter says. Experience and try it out yourself, just like kraspkibble kraspkibble says, do what works for you. I watched a little of the video, but it feels more like a very early beginner video (as if you never played a video game lol). "In this game you press buttons, let me ruin all the mechanics before you get to try them out". :messenger_grinning_smiling: Hopefully the game is good and is remembered down the road.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
People that watch this are not hardcore enough.
Go play cod.

Do i fit in the souls community ?

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Do i fit in the souls community ?

do you play any of the games? really that's all you need to do.

at this point i hear more griping about Souls games and the Souls community from people that have never played the games or played them a little then gave up and then never let it go. it's cool if a game isn't for you.

what i don't get is the need to flagellate yourself over it. i tried Destiny 2 once and didn't like it but you won't find me in every Destiny thread making strawman arguments about the Destiny community.

Last edited:

Mega Man

do you play any of the games? really that's all you need to do.

at this point i hear more griping about Souls games and the Souls community from people that have never played the games or played them a little then gave up and then never let it go. it's cool if a game isn't for you.

Honestly, everything I have seen in terms of mechanics has me beyond HYPED. I just hope the world and story grip me the way Souls did.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
im super excited. i loved Dark Souls 3 but felt the lighting was a little flat compared to the first entry and Bloodborne. this seems to be bringing back the more thick atmosphere. environments seem to have more shadow and varied lighting, and there looks like a lot of lamps, candles, shrines, etc. shining in the darkness. the forests will have tall grass and thick tree shadows, it will be a nice step up from the rather flat Crucifixion Woods.

gonna be running across rooftops soon, with a From Software dark fantasy moon highly in the sky, stalking some crazed samurai ghost from above, and i can't wait.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Didn't watch the video. I always go through Souls games blind and with 0 help. Figure the shit out, maggot.

V4skunk

Banned
I just recently started looking into this game. Completely forgot it's about to release. I expected it to be just another soulsborne game but the combat in this looks fucking amazing. Can't play it day one but i will as soon as possible
What games have better sword play than soulsborne?

Last edited:

Danjin44

In terms of sword play? I disagree. Anyway, we shall all agree to.
I would say combat between Souls/Bloodborne and Nioh is different enough that some people might prefer Nioh combat over Souls and vice versa. I personally prefer Bloodborne combat over Souls and Nioh.

A while back, Target was doing this 3 for 2 game deal, and I couldn't find 3 whole games that I wanted. Then I noticed that it worked on a few select pre-order titles, including this one, so I ended up pre-ordering it. I didn't know anything about the game then, and frankly, still don't know anything about it - except having watched the video in the OP, I think it's going to work out. So thanks for posting the video. Who knew I'd be satisfied with just the tips?

Ivellios

The combat in this looks very well done.

Didn't watch the video. I always go through Souls games blind and with 0 help. Figure the shit out, maggot.

I usually go with this mentality with all games, but Bloodborne and Dark Souls are an exception

There are just so many missable things in these games.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
The combat in this looks very well done.

I usually go with this mentality with all games, but Bloodborne and Dark Souls are an exception

There are just so many missable things in these games.

Well since there's NG+, I will do the guide in the second playthrough. I should have clarified. First playthrough, go in raw. LOL...raw.

Fake

I saw the last trailer from Playstation Europe and... that music probably break the climax of the game.

Arachnid

I disagree. Mount and blade is superior to For Honour.
I can't chime in on M&B as I've never played it.

For Honor's swordplay is definitely more intricate than Soulsborne games though. It should be. It's a fighting game and swordplay is the entire point. The learning curve to the game is brutal, as is the skill gap between bad, good, and great players.

Last edited:

V4skunk

Banned
I can't chime in on M&B as I've never played it.

For Honor's swordplay is definitely more intricate than Soulsborne games though. It should be. It's a fighting game and swordplay is the entire point. The learning curve to the game is brutal, as is the skill gap between bad, good, and great players.
I Agree.
And soulsborne pvp is also brutal with a high learning curve. Possibly even more complex than For Honor with parry, casting and build variety.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Honor's sword combat only designed around fighting other swords man while Souls/Bloodborne combat designed around fighting bunch of different creatures and huge and sometimes very fast bosses.

Last edited:
i cannot wait for this fucking game! also does anyone know if this has any kind of like online aspect like dark souls like invasions or something like that

Arachnid

Honor's sword combat only designed around fighting other swords man while Souls/Bloodborne combat designed around fighting bunch of different creatures and huge and sometimes very fast bosses.
Exactly why it outshines the Soulsborne games in swordplay. That's not what For Honor really sets out to do. It's a fighting game at heart and shines best in 1v1 fighting mechanics. It's like saying Witcher has better story. Don't get me wrong, I prefer Soulsborne in general because other than Siege I'm bigger on single player (IMO Soulsborne games are some of the best single player games to come out in the past decade) and For Honor was too much of a investment to be truly great/stay competitive, but fighting games HAVE to have more intricate fighting mechanics for competition. It's not really a fair comparison for Dark Souls since the PvP is second to the PvE.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
I’m hype for this but I’m not gonna watch it, I rather discover how the combat works myself just like I did with Souls and Bloodborne.
Similar here.
Discovering what style you prefer and what works was a large part of the charm of the Dark Souls games, at least.
Don't really want to go in already knowing what is best - then again, the game's way too fresh anyway for anything to be certain at this point.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Any ideas the OT Subtitle.
OT is pretty much ready
Just adding final touches

Overview​
Development History​
Special & Collector's Edition​
Interviews​
Reviews (will update when they come)​
Screenshots​
Trailers and gameplay clips​
I was gonna add a DF section. What you guys think

Sekiro [OT] Wrath of Blood
If you are going to go that far, just go full Kurosawa: Throne of Blood, Roshomon, Seven Samurai, Kagemusha, Yojimbo, Hidden Fortress, Ran, Akira Kurosawa's Dreams, Heaven and Hell. I'm sure there's plenty of puns to make, like... um The Seven Ham-on-Rye.... I got nothing.

Top Bottom