• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sekiro Shadows Die Twice, or Control, or Days Gone?

Vote for my next: Sekiro or Control or Days Gone

• Sekiro Shadows Die Twice

Votes: 101 52.9%
  • Control

Votes: 38 19.9%
  • Days Gone

Votes: 52 27.2%

• Total voters

Eiknarf

Banned
Vote for which I buy next:

All three are used for $54.99

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
MC (90/79)
OC 90/98%

Control
MC (81/71)
OC 84/90%

Days Gone
MC (71/81)
OC 71/50%

Barnabot

I haven't played any of these. But I'd go with Sekiro anyways. The other two didn't impress me very much seeing the gameplay.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Control for me. I really do like Control. It was my first experience with Remedy games.

radewagon

I haven't played Control or Days Gone, but having played Sekiro, I can confidently say that it is clearly the one to get. Sekiro is easily better than most any game that's ever been made.

I voted Control. Sekiro is the better game, but even by Souls standards the difficulty level is masochistic. The back half of the game just gets brutal, most people I know didn't beat it.

Fbh

Haven't played the other 2 but you can't go wrong with Sekiro (unless you don't like FROM games)

Last edited:

Shifty

Sekiro for sure, it's a masterpiece. Tee hee at the Dark Souls comparisons though, you think you know but you don't :messenger_winking:

I'd say Control comes second because it looks super fascinating with all the spooky SCP stuff, and remedy's storytelling is back on-point after Quantum Break.

Days Gone is a joke in comparison to either of the above.

Last edited:

rubhen925

This is a tough comparison. You have a 3rd person visceral action game, third person shooter with supernatural elements and a third person action survival game.

Sekiro is a game of patience and requires a lot of practice to excel in, but the game has a lot of content, multiple endings and bosses. Will give you around 25 to 40 hours depending on playstyle.

Control is a one and done. Around 20 hours if you'd like to do everything but it's a fun game as the gameplay is just excellent. Story drags in the middle. Great game if you're into exploration and looking into secrets. Not really hard.

Days gone is a game that has a good story but is spaced between a lot of repetitive side missions Assassin's creed style clearing the map missions. Should give you around 40 to 60 hours depending on how much you want to complete. I personally got bored after finishing the main story. So yea.

I say go with Sekiro as you're constantly seeing new enemies. And doesn't feel like there's a lot of padding. But be warned there's not much replayability like other souls games as you only have one weapon to master. The other two games you can restart and take different upgrade paths to gets different experiences.

My two cents.

Cheers

Reactions: Isa

Eiknarf

Banned
Oh damn
So Sekiro is difficult?!
If you guys are saying it’s difficult, then it’s really going to be difficult for me.

Now, does “difficult” translate to “frustrating”?

Gamernyc78

Banned
Oh damn
So Sekiro is difficult?!
If you guys are saying it’s difficult, then it’s really going to be difficult for me.

Some bosses are frustrating lol mind you I beat them all even optionals. You need to choreograph their moves and react accordingly and if you mess up lol they'll whip tht ass.

Chromata

Oh damn
So Sekiro is difficult?!

I've played every Fromsoft game and to me Sekiro was easily the hardest. The thing with Sekiro is it's not really a full fledged RPG like the other Souls games.

In Dark Souls, if you're stuck on a boss, you can go to another area and make progress there, upgrade your gear, and level up your character's relevant stats. You can even get online help if you really need it.

In Sekiro, all those options are either non-existent or limited (depending on where you are in the game). Each boss is like a big wall that you need to pass with the tools given to you. You're forced to learn and adapt to each boss. I loved this about it, but I know people who hated this.

It's all personal preference and what you want out of your game.

Yumi

Oh damn
So Sekiro is difficult?!

If you havent played a Fromn Software game or action heavy games like Ninja Gaiden, Bayonettta, etc. It will be frustrating. But like most their game if you have patience its extremely rewarding and very fun. I always tell people about Sekiro that there are points where you will be stuck and you just have to play better to progress.

These 3 games are all pretty different, is their a genre you prefer? I think you cant go wrong with any of these choices.

Shifty

Oh damn
So Sekiro is difficult?!

Sekiro is absolutely a difficult game, but one of the most rewarding ones there is once you progress up the learning curve.

Difficult will probably translate to frustrating at the beginning while you're still learning the systems and getting stomped on for mistakes- whether you'll dig it depends on whether you can manage that until you become proficient.

Heck, I love character action games and still find myself cursing the air blue until everything clicks :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Eiknarf

Banned
If you havent played a Fromn Software game or action heavy games like Ninja Gaiden, Bayonettta, etc. It will be frustrating. But like most their game if you have patience its extremely rewarding and very fun. I always tell people about Sekiro that there are points where you will be stuck and you just have to play better to progress.

These 3 games are all pretty different, is their a genre you prefer? I think you cant go wrong with any of these choices.
Those are the three relatively new titles I’m torn between. I’ve been so used to buying call the old titles for 19 bucks that I didn’t care if I disliked em. I’d just trade em back.

I read “Kubrick/Lynch” in relation with Control that I instantly got hooked. But I also read that there’s bugs cuz it’s so new.

I read “cool zombie game” in relation with Days Gone, but also read that it was “repetitive” - and that held me back.

I read how cool Sekiro is, but also that it’s “frustratingly hard” which given my limited game time, might bug me.

I wish I could try em all and decide

Reactions: Isa

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
From those lists I got with Sekiro, it my favourite FromSoftware game.

I read how cool Sekiro is, but also that it’s “frustratingly hard” which given my limited game time, might bug me.

I wish I could try em all and decide
Any game with high difficulty will have "frustrating" moments one way or another Untill you get good at the combat.

Last edited:

Mackers

I've only played Sekiro of those 3 so can't speak to what's best. Having said that I would highly recommend it.

Eiknarf

Banned
Why was Bloodborne a PS exclusive but other FromSoftware games aren’t?

I have Bloodborne, but stopped halfway through because I wasn’t loving it. Does that mean I won’t like Sekiro Shadows Die Twice??!!

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Days Gone if you want a more atmospheric/story focused game. Sekiro if you want a better gameplay focused game. Haven't played Control.

Danjin44

Why was Bloodborne a PS exclusive but other FromSoftware games aren’t?

I have Bloodborne, but stopped halfway through because I wasn’t loving it. Does that mean I won’t like Sekiro Shadows Die Twice??!!

What part of Bloodborne you didn't like? if its the difficulty then I would say stay way from Sekiro. Also the reason Bloodborne its exclusive for PS4 because its somewhat co-developed by Studio Japan.

Eiknarf

Banned
What part of Bloodborne you didn't like? if its the difficulty then I would say stay way from Sekiro. Also the reason Bloodborne its exclusive for PS4 because its somewhat co-developed by Studio Japan.
I know I’ll probably get killed for this but, I think it’s because i just played it two months ago. It felt dated. Not so much the graphics but the weapon interface or something-
(I just got my first PlayStation 4 Pro in April)

Danjin44

I know I’ll probably get killed for this but, I think it’s because i just played it two months ago. It felt dated. Not so much the graphics but the weapon interface or something-
I would say Sekiro is much more streamlined in that regard, in fact Sekiro is an action game rather than RPG like Souls and Bloodborne but Sekiro has little bit of learning curve and has no online feature to summon someone to help you.

I get you. Sekiro feels completely fresh though. It's brutal like other From games (even more so actually), but the core mechanics feel like shit that is years away from being done by anyone else. Like DMC 3 mastered stylish combat and set the blueprint for action games, Sekiro does so for reactive combat gameplay. It's beautiful and you should try it.

Eiknarf

Banned
I get you. Sekiro feels completely fresh though. It's brutal like other From games (even more so actually), but the core mechanics feel like shit that is years away from being done by anyone else. Like DMC 3 mastered stylish combat and set the blueprint for action games, Sekiro does so for reactive combat gameplay. It's beautiful and you should try it.
Sekiro is winning in the poll.... so I will honor my promise and get it next (today or tomorrow).

It’s funny. Until this morning I thought Sekiro was a PlayStation exclusive (like Days Gone). I obviously wrongly assumed that because of Bloodborne

Danjin44

Sekiro is winning in the poll.... so I will honor my promise and get it next (today or tomorrow).

It’s funny. Until this morning I thought Sekiro was a PlayStation exclusive (like Days Gone). I obviously wrongly assumed that because of Bloodborne
For west Sekiro was published by Activision and in Japan FROM themselves published the game.

They don't play in the same league. Sekiro is a GOTY candidate and the other two are good or very good (YMMV) games.

Wait until Days Gone and Control are on sale, and pay full price for Sekiro if necessary, worth every penny.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Days Gone.

If you like it, you're really getting your money's worth. Very long campaign, and a ton of stuff has been added/fixed post-launch which to a large degree means most reviews are redundant. Best game I've played this year, and the only game of its length I've immediately replayed (because its just fun) all this gen.

Eiknarf

Banned
Ok
I ran to GameStop and got Sekiro

The dude said I can play it for up to seven days and that if I don’t like it I can bring it back for an even trade (Control or Days Gone) $54.00

Last edited:

Codes 208

sekiro is the only good game in that list imo

If you get stuck, i recommend reading through the OT.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fuz

Codes 208

Well, It was revealed at the xbox press conference last year. (After being teased at during sony’s TGS the year prior.)

Belmonte

How masochistic do you guys think Sekiro is in relation to NiOh? NiOh, despite being a great game, was the first game of the genre which made me thought "this part here is hard for hard's sake".

Shifty

How masochistic do you guys think Sekiro is in relation to NiOh? NiOh, despite being a great game, was the first game of the genre which made me thought "this part here is hard for hard's sake".
Nioh, while still a quality game imo, is jam-packed full of unfair bullshit. You're not wrong.

Belmonte

Nioh, while still a quality game imo, is jam-packed full of unfair bullshit. You're not wrong.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only character action fan to have this impression. But Sekiro is better balanced than NiOh? Same level or worse?

Eiknarf

Banned
Well i will spark Sekiro up tomorrow morning. And I’ll give it four hours to win me over or piss me off.
I’m either keeping it cuz I love it for swapping it for one of the other two

Shifty

I'm glad to know I'm not the only character action fan to have this impression. But Sekiro is better balanced than NiOh? Same level or worse?
There's a reason I call it a masterpiece :messenger_grinning:

I can think of maybe 1-3 encounters (at a stretch) across the whole game stick in my mind as being bullshit, everything else is staunchly hard-but-fair.

Shifty

Well i will spark Sekiro up tomorrow morning. And I’ll give it four hours to win me over or piss me off.
I’m either keeping it cuz I love it for swapping it for one of the other two
I remember saying HOLY SHIT what an awesome game out loud within 20 seconds of getting into my first fight. Hopefully it will be similar for you :messenger_winking:

And as others have said, the OT is a great place to look if you're after some gameplay tips. It's a goldmine of useful tidbits and helpful posters.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Sekiro probably is the "better game", but do you like the Soul series? Because if you're not into, get Control. It's very much a third person Metroidvania

Days Gone is just ok. Buy when it is on sale.

Top Bottom