• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sekiro Shadows Die Twice, or Control, or Days Gone?

Vote for my next: Sekiro or Control or Days Gone

• Sekiro Shadows Die Twice

Votes: 101 52.9%
  • Control

Votes: 38 19.9%
  • Days Gone

Votes: 52 27.2%

• Total voters

Rien

Jelly Belly
Sekiro is a great game! You cant go wrong with that if your into a challenge and have patience. Loved it!

Eiknarf

Banned
I remember saying HOLY SHIT what an awesome game out loud within 20 seconds of getting into my first fight. Hopefully it will be similar for you :messenger_winking:

And as others have said, the OT is a great place to look if you're after some gameplay tips. It's a goldmine of useful tidbits and helpful posters.
The “OT”? Pardon my ignorance but what’s that?

Well i will spark Sekiro up tomorrow morning. And I’ll give it four hours to win me over or piss me off.
I’m either keeping it cuz I love it for swapping it for one of the other two

I would only recommend Sekiro on PC otherwise your making the game more difficult for yourself in an otherwise incredibly hard game that's much more difficult than Bloodborne or any Dark Souls game. I've beaten every Dark Souls game and Bloodborne with the dlc for all of em and Sekiro is much more difficult.

The frame rate on consoles is all over the place and Sekiro is very reliant on timing for your parries, a stable frame rate at 60 fps can make animations easier to read so you can react quicker. Even on a Pro and 1X the frame rate juggles all over the place at 40 fps. Sekiro is very well optimized on PC so it's easy to get a solid 60 fps at 1080p with a semi decent rig.

Eiknarf

Banned
No matter what OR how I feel about Sekiro, just know that I thank you all. Again. This is the third poll I’ve created for you to vote on choosing my next game(s) and you guys always come through. Not just with voting but with well written descriptions of why you chose the game you voted for on my behalf!
You all rule!!

kingbean

Sekiro didn't feel good to play at all imo. And I love Demons and dark souls.

Control is fun and interesting.

Reactions: Isa

Isa

This is kind of tough as each game is quite different. Days Gone I really enjoyed but I learned that I'm over doing most Ubisoft style open worlds to 100% completion. Well made though. Control is fun as well and I really dig the atmosphere and story so far. Sekiro I put down as I just wasn't enjoying it, I much prefer the gameplay options of their other titles. Plus I wish that From would let me play as one of the pretty ladies like Emma. I know she's not a main fighter, but just someone other than gruff hero dudes would be a nice change of pace. All are high quality games though. Can't say I'd recommend Sekiro if you didn't enjoy Bloodborne.

Ivellios

I never played Control or Days Gone, but Sekiro is easily my game of the year so far so this is what i recommend.

Unless you dont want to spend your time on a hard game trying to learn its mechanics.

Eiknarf

Banned
I don’t know what to do guys! Am I gonna progress any further in the game? Hahaha

This game is clearly great but clearly difficult as fuck! I love it and hate it!

I like it way more than Bloodborne

Why can’t there be a difficulty setting??? Lol

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
For me personally, Days Gone by far as it's easily my 2019 game of the year with a 9.5/10 rating and became my third best game of the generation. 100% total completion in around 120 hours and didn't fast travel a single time.

Played Control last weekend, quit it and sold it but will get it back later in the year or early next year as I was rushing it to get it done before Gears 5 so instead of continuing that, I sold it off but I will get it back at some point as it's in my backlog. From the 15 hours or so I played, I was enjoying it more than Quantum Break and based on what I played (which is a little more than halfway through the campaign), I would give Control a great 8.0/10.

As for Sekiro, meh. Played it a few months ago via GameFly and wow, I had so many complaints. Quit it after the the guy on the horse boss as I had literally no interest in continuing. Of course, in fairness to the game, im simply NOT a fan of From Software and Sekiro is the last game I will ever try from them. They're done.

Last edited by a moderator:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Sekiro please!!!

Control is a 7 score game ... i really dont care if was from the Father of Max Payne or wherever ....the game you can see it in 15$ in black friday.

Days Gone... Better go Sekiro please!!

By the way... did i say that Days Gone is a Garbage?

Kabelly

I don’t know what to do guys! Am I gonna progress any further in the game? Hahaha

This game is clearly great but clearly difficult as fuck! I love it and hate it!

Play it like a rhythm game and less like Bloodborne/Souls

GOTY for me. Wish i played on PC though.

Last edited:

DelireMan7

I haven't play Control or Days gone but I have played Sekiro and I would say it depends on what you like in from software games.

I am a Soulsborne fanatic and Sekiro is a "meh" game for me.
It lacks the deepness of the Souls gameplay for me. Also the atmosphere didn't make it for me.

If you like third person action game why not

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member

Learn to parry. The game explains it early on but does a poor job at emphasizing it early game on how it's the most important mechanic in the game. Try it with weaker enemies until you master the timing. Also make sure you learn this https://sekiroshadowsdietwice.wiki.fextralife.com/Mikiri+Counter

Last edited:
as someone who loved the souls games, i couldn't get into sekiro and it now sits there idle in my steam collection basically unplayed

i voted control

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
as someone who loved the souls games, i couldn't get into sekiro and it now sits there idle in my steam collection basically unplayed
I think most people wanted RPG instead of action game out of Sekiro, I personally I LOOVED it! To me it has the best combat system in any FROM games.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
This highly depends on your tolerance for challenging games. Sekiro is quite difficult — not cheap — but genuinely challenging in way none of the Souls games are (for instance, you can’t increase your level to push past challenging bosses). If you’ve got A LOT of patience and good reflexes, Sekiro is a great ride, but it’s %100 not for everyone.

Days Gone is mediocre overall, Control has great gameplay but shitty pacing and a bad map. Take your pick.

Last edited:

GAMETA

Banned
I'm a huge fan of Dark Souls and I really didn't like Sekiro, it's simply not good enough.

It's still the best one in the list, tho.

JRW

Control is interesting if you wanna see a more full fledged ray tracing presentation in a modern title (if you have an RTX card) and also a decent game overall.

but I still voted Sekiro here, it was super challenging but a lot of fun even tho it can be pretty frustrating at times not gonna lie lol.

Last edited:

Gargus

Banned
Sekiro > days gone > control.

I hadn't played control yet though so I don't personally know. I'm waiting till black Friday to pick it up.

Eiknarf

Banned
I mean I knew Sekiro wouldn’t be that bad when it has literally double the amount of votes here than Days Gone which is in second place.

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Banned
I mean I knew Sekiro wouldn’t be that bad when it has literally double the amount of votes here than Days Gone which is in second place.

That said, it’s hard, and I could see not wanting to play the game due to the boss fight difficulty jump.

The regular fights are phenomenal.
Getting around the environment is phenomenal.
I play games for phenomenal experiences.

But fighting the same boss literally 33 times is bordering on not being fun - and I could see wanting to trade it -

Sure, I’m probably not as good of a “video game sword fighter” as you guys...But what am I supposed to do? I literally try a different approach every time and still can’t pass a point. That’s sad. For me AND for the game because everything else is so stellar

jadefire66

That said, it’s hard, and I could see not wanting to play the game due to the boss fight difficulty jump.

The regular fights are phenomenal.
Getting around the environment is phenomenal.
I play games for phenomenal experiences.

But fighting the same boss literally 33 times is bordering on not being fun - and I could see wanting to trade it -

Sure, I’m probably not as good of a “video game sword fighter” as you guys...But what am I supposed to do? I literally try a different approach every time and still can’t pass a point. That’s sad. For me AND for the game because everything else is so stellar

Tell me what boss you're stuck on, I might be able to give some tips. If it's Lady Butterfly, you should at least leave her for later, when you have like 3 Attack Power. It really makes a difference.

DanielsM

Banned
I can't fully comment on Control or Sekiro, but Days Gone is tied with Bloodborne for game of the cycle for me, and tied with Bloodborne for my #2 most favorite single player game ever.

I think it matters what kind of games you like, I'll probably pick up Sekiro at some point.

bitbydeath

Days Gone is an amazing game, and my personal GOTY.

Sure, it’s an open world title so plays like most others but there is one huge difference.

Dynamic AI. Like briefly featured in RDR2 where you occasionally run into someone out in the open world Days Gone turns that up massively. Where you get animals, drifters, cults and zombies coming for you which makes going from A-B a lot more interesting and they even clash with one another so you could see a random bear ripping into drifter camps or even an entire horde destroying everything in its path.

As well as that the story is great too and the weather is the best it’s been done in any game ever. There is a huge difference from where you start to where you finish though which turns some off as at first you need to be more conservative with ammo but later on you get really powerful weapons so you’re well equipped to fight hordes.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

I haven't played Control or Days Gone, but having played Sekiro, I can confidently say that it is clearly the one to get. Sekiro is easily better than most any game that's ever been made.
Nah, I found Days Gone to be more enjoyable tbh at the end of it all but it's personal preference I guess.

Justin9mm

Sekiro please!!!

Control is a 7 score game ... i really dont care if was from the Father of Max Payne or wherever ....the game you can see it in 15$ in black friday.

Days Gone... Better go Sekiro please!!

By the way... did i say that Days Gone is a Garbage?
Ooh we have another person who did not play for more than a few hours.

johntown

Banned
I voted for Sekiro. There is no other game out there like it. Once you get the combat it is highly satisfying.

Justin9mm

is for Days gone?
Yeah, the pacing at the start with the story was poor imo but it really became something special even with all it's flaws after putting in some hours as it's quite a long game. I can never accept people that say this game was bad. You can have an opinion to say this game was not for you or isn't your style but to say the game was garbage is complete crap.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Yeah, the pacing at the start with the story was poor imo but it really became something special even with all it's flaws after putting in some hours as it's quite a long game. I can never accept people that say this game was bad. You can have an opinion to say this game was not for you or isn't your style but to say the game was garbage is complete crap.

As i say before... never listen to people... the only truth is playing yourself....

We are diferent persons. The fact that i dislike this game, doesnt mean that nobody have to play it....

I promise i give the chance... only if is 15$ dollars, no more

Justin9mm

Who the heck does something they don't enjoy for a few hours?? If a game isn't fun after 30-60 mins, it's time to uninstall and get a refund if possible.
So basically you hate every game where you start with nothing and have to keep playing to unlock abilities and items? It's a survival game, it's not meant to start out fun. I don't like sports games and I don't enjoy them or think they are fun but when someone says to me what do I think of NBA2K20 or FIFA 19 etc. Do you think it's fair or right in me saying 'oh those games are complete garbage' ? That doesn't help anyone at all that might enjoy those games.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
So basically you hate every game where you start with nothing and have to keep playing to unlock abilities and items? It's a survival game, it's not meant to start out fun. I don't like sports games and I don't enjoy them or think they are fun but when someone says to me what do I think of NBA2K20 or FIFA 19 etc. Do you think it's fair or right in me saying 'oh those games are complete garbage' ? That doesn't help anyone at all that might enjoy those games.

Depends highly on the game. Take rogue-likes for example. You can pretty much see how the game is in the first few hours and decide if it's worth it or not. Sure some things might change like levels, items or upgrades but the core is the same over and over and it seems very fair to make an opinion early on. Same applies to sports games and many other linear genres. I do agree that some survival games and rpg's in general can hardly be experienced in the first few hours. There are some rare examples where actions games also fall into this category and Days Gone is certainly one of those. Early game is simply rough as hell but the game somehow starts being great mid towards end game.

bitbydeath

Depends highly on the game. Take rogue-likes for example. You can pretty much see how the game is in the first few hours and decide if it's worth it or not. Sure some things might change like levels, items or upgrades but the core is the same over and over and it seems very fair to make an opinion early on. Same applies to sports games and many other linear genres. I do agree that some survival games and rpg's in general can hardly be experienced in the first few hours. There are some rare examples where actions games also fall into this category and Days Gone is certainly one of those. Early game is simply rough as hell but the game somehow starts being great mid towards end game.

Rough isn’t the right word, it starts as a stealth game due to lack of weapons and ammo which isn’t for everyone.

jadefire66

So basically you hate every game where you start with nothing and have to keep playing to unlock abilities and items? It's a survival game, it's not meant to start out fun.

Uhh newsflash but if a game where you start with nothing isn't fun in that moment, you just probably don't like that game or genre much, or the game isn't very good with its core gameplay and needs to stack some stuff on top of it for it to be acceptable.

My favorite parts of many RPGs, for example, are the FIRST LEVELS, such as Taris in KotOR and Peragus in KotOR II. You barely have anything yet this is when they're most fun for me. These are usually the most disliked levels by most players, but those players don't really like the gameplay in the first place and are playing for the story. No surprise I guess.

This is like someone asking if Doom 2016 gets better once you get some upgrades and more weapons. Bitch it's supposed to be fun from the first minutes. If you don't like the first 10 mins of Doom, you'll never like it, no matter what upgrades or new weapons you get.

And I highly doubt "not meant to start out fun" is a conscious choice by any game developer. It's probably just you making excuses for poor core gameplay that doesn't get "fun" until X or Y condition later in the game, and by that I mean it becomes acceptable.

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Banned
Ok
I just picked up DAYS GONE too being that took second place-

Sekiro is fucking hard! So I’m gonna need to steer away from that for a while and try Days Gone

If If sucks I’ll swap it for Control

But if Days Gone is good I’ll just get Control when it drops in price

Top Bottom