• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Selfie stick bans go into effect at French, UK attractions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bold One

I can see this in situations where it might be dangerous (ie. on a roller coaster), but otherwise people need to chill the fuck out.

All y'all against this are just getting old and crotchety. I'm also old and crotchety, and don't even have a phone capable taking pictures of myself, but there is nothing wrong with people wanting to take pics of themselves without bothering others.

I'd like to see hear your stance on them once you've taken one to the face or back of the head. You can take pictures of yourself without employing the use of a fucking stick, especially in crowded areas.

You'd have to be seriously lacking in self awareness to need a device that is devoted to your narcissism

I can see this in situations where it might be dangerous (ie. on a roller coaster), but otherwise people need to chill the fuck out.

All y'all against this are just getting old and crotchety. I'm also old and crotchety, and don't even have a phone capable taking pictures of myself, but there is nothing wrong with people wanting to take pics of themselves without bothering others.

You don't see how this could be a huge nuisance in crowded public places? Or crowded theme parks or museums etc? It juts your phone/camera out a couple feet in a direction expanding the space you're taking up by quite a bit. Like I said, not a big deal for people to use them outside where there's space to walk, but in crowded areas, nope.

Sounds like you haven't been smacked in the head by one.

I can say I haven't received a single injury from a selfie stick so far. I have received several injuries/scars/war wounds and even nearly lost an eye because of fuck wits with umbrellas though. Yet some how I managed to find away to "co-exist" with Umbrella wielding troglodytes without resorting to the "ban it, ban it now" brigade.

I am not a big fan of selfie sticks, like I said I view anyone using a selfie stick with contempt they deserve, but just because I don't like something or it "annoys me" does not mean it should be banned.

I'm going to create a selfie stick that doubles up as a vuvuzela

superman-dad-death-reaction-Kevin-Costner-1387241798Q.gif

darscot

I can say I haven't received a single injury from a selfie stick so far. I have received several injuries/scars/war wounds and even nearly lost an eye because of fuck wits with umbrellas though. Yet some how I managed to find away to "co-exist" with Umbrella wielding troglodytes without resorting to the "ban it, ban it now" brigade.

I am not a big fan of selfie sticks, like I said I view anyone using a selfie stick with contempt they deserve, but just because I don't like something or it "annoys me" does not mean it should be banned.

I agree with this completely, try walking the streets in Japan if your tall and it's sunny or raining. Umbrellas are everywhere and they all are at like eye level. How can you ban selfie sticks it's just silly.

Mohonky

those drone copters are also banned in UK I heard.

Nope.

Its just that countries have laws about where you can fly, what altitude, what frequencies you can use etc.

It was never a big deal in the past because people into aerial RC pretty much either had a lot invested in their equipment and were afriad of smashing it or were members of clubs that have regular meetings and know and teach others how to fly safely and what the legal restrictions were.

Unfortunately with stuff like the Phantom etc, any idiot can buy one, take it out of the box and immediately get it in the air and (wrongly) assuming the flight controller will both work flawlesly and save their ass by returning to home etc if things go wrong. So you have idiots flying them in cities, over crowded areas, over highways and yes I have even seen people fly them over airports.

So authorities are coming down harder because so many of them are out there now and a lot of the people using them aren't rc enthusiasts, they're just people who think they are a fun toy to mess about with that have no idea that there are many laws and restrictions on how these drones are used.

I've even seen a video of a DJI Rep actually flying one of the damn things over a very very crowded street as a demonstration and he crashed it. Luckily he didnt hit anyone but the guys a fucking rep for DJI, one of the, if not the biggest flight controller manufacturer on the market and maker of the Phantom.

Tacitus_

You don't see how this could be a huge nuisance in crowded public places? Or crowded theme parks or museums etc? It juts your phone/camera out a couple feet in a direction expanding the space you're taking up by quite a bit. Like I said, not a big deal for people to use them outside where there's space to walk, but in crowded areas, nope.

Honestly I fail to see the difference between a selfie stick and a someone else taking the photo for you. People having horseshit for manners is the problem if they're being a nuisance with them.

I think they lead to people wanting to kick your ass. Why though? I don't know. but that is sure as heck the response.

Just seems harmless..

It leads to counter-culture nerds that use sites like Reddit and Neogaf saying they want to kick your ass on the internet.

Some people really can't see how waving a stick around at face height can present a danger to others, especially if the person waving it around is focused more on themselves that what's going on around them?

I don't really have anything against selfie sticks, but people can get pretty careless with them.

Umbrellas serve what I'd consider a far more practical purpose than selfie sticks. I also think most of these places don't want you waving around umbrellas indoors, lol.

Second edit: The story is about private places that are very crowded and house very old, irreplaceable things. They don't want people with selfie sticks waving them around, and that's fine. I'm not sure if anyone's posted about a blanket ban of selfie sticks in public areas, but that's not what I'm talking about anyway.

darscot

Some people really can't see how waving a stick around at face height can present a danger to others, especially if the person waving it around is focused more on themselves that what's going on around them?

I don't really have anything against selfie sticks, but people can get pretty careless with them.

Any more so then an umbrella?

I'll never understand the hate for selfie sticks (I don't own one). I think it's incredibly convenient to take photos from an above the head height; very useful from what I've seen.

Convenient for you, not convenient for anyone else who have to deal with all of the extra space you're taking up.

Maximus.

Good they get in the way of people walking by and for some reason people are oblivious of their surroundings when using the sticks.

I'd like to see hear your stance on them once you've taken one to the face or back of the head. You can take pictures of yourself without employing the use of a fucking stick, especially in crowded areas.

You'd have to be seriously lacking in self awareness to need a device that is devoted to your narcissism

It's not any more of a nuisance than the mere presence of other people to begin with. How is it more annoying than bothering another person to take your picture? Oh, wait, it's not. Also, you get the benefit of not having your camera/phone stolen. I mean, I'm never going to get one, but viva la selfie-stick revolution.

BRAZIL

Soccer stadiums in the South American country have also banned selfie sticks because of their potential use as weapons in fights between rival fans, police say. Selfie sticks were also banned from Brazil's recent Carnival parades in Rio de Janeiro.

wat! WATTTTTTT??

I'm not saying they should be banned either, but you mentioned that they don't harm anybody. Used improperly they definitely can.

I'm not saying we should ban bicycles, but people shouldn't ride them on busy sidewalks. Someone running into you with those hurts like hell.

In other words, I think regulating their use in certain spaces and areas makes sense. If a museum wants to ban them because they create a hazard then I don't really have a problem with that. It just shouldn't be a state level ban.

kunonabi

I had no idea this is what a selfie stick actually was. I though it was a miniature stick shaped camera or something. The truth is far more depressing.

MIMIC

Banned
It's not any more of a nuisance than the mere presence of other people to begin with. How is it more annoying than bothering another person to take your picture? Oh, wait, it's not. Also, you get the benefit of not having your camera/phone stolen. I mean, I'm never going to get one, but viva la selfie-stick revolution.

Stand next to someone, and then stand next to someone else waving a stick.

Raistlin

Dangerous? Really?
Well, in any area that wouldn't allow you to carry a bat / stick / pipe ... is it really any different?

Sure some are plastic, but plenty are metal telescoping ones that are essentially billy clubs / staffs if one was so inclined. As usual, dumbasses ruined it for everyone.

i'm going to one day own some place like a restaurant or something and completely forbid the use of phones inside

like we'd grab and destroy all smartphones found inside the premises, and throw the offenders out through the window

that's how i feel about selfie sticks

Bold One

stop being so obtuse...selfie sticks arent a necessity, you dont need one to take a selfie. The mere presence of others? what? imagine if everyone was carrying around 40 inch poles on crowded streets...

Given the choice, I would rather be asked to help people take pictures, which I have on countless occasions (that's what I get for working near tourist traps) than be whacked on the face.

dhlt25

I think selfie stick are dumb but the ban is not much better. It's not like tourist gonna come in and swing that shit at the artwork.

scogoth

I love however everywhere is banning them as a nuisance except Brazil which bans them so they can't be used to beat rival fans.

Nyoro SF

Hope this becomes more of a standard ban across all countries. Thankfully I didn't see any in Italy when I visited but considering some locations if I had gone when it caught on it would've been a giant pain in the ass

Cipherr

Honestly I fail to see the difference between a selfie stick and a someone else taking the photo for you. People having horseshit for manners is the problem if they're being a nuisance with them.

Of course it is. But you can't force good home training and manners into individuals on demand, so ban the damn sticks.

Im 100% on board with this. Get someone to take a photo of you and quit with the sticks, crap is annoying.

DCS

Banned
Selfies are vain enough without needing to buy these shitty bits of plastic to view your fat face from a higher angle. There are people selling them on every street corner in Rome at the moment, it's annoying as fuck.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Of course it is. But you can't force good home training and manners into individuals on demand, so ban the damn sticks.

Im 100% on board with this. Get someone to take a photo of you and quit with the sticks, crap is annoying.

I think I can see the thread now:

I hate it when people ask me to take their photo for them...

"we have all been there, I am walking along listening to my music and someone asks me to take a photo of their stupid hick family because they are on vacation. I am forced to say sure, because I don't want to look like an asshole, and they all squeeze together while I have to figure out how to snap a photo using some forked no name version of Android Cupcake on a phone with 256 MB of ram. I wish there was some kind of tool where these idiots could take a group photo themselves so I wouldn't have to talk to them."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom