• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sell me Endless Ocean OR Sin & Punishment 2

Some time ago I wanted to buy Another Code R for bargain prices from my local store. But, alas, it's gone, and I'm bummed since I really wanted to play that one :( To ease my pain, I want to buy another obscure Wii titles from that store; the games that caught my attention are Endless Ocean and Sin & Punishment 2. Sadly, I can order only one game.

I've never heard anything about them except brief descriptions and few screenshots. Endless Ocean is especially a tabula rasa in my mind. I've watched an eShop trailer of Sin & Punishment 2 but couldn't really "get" it. I like both action games and laid-back games so I don't have any special preferences.

Please describe me the best each game can offer.

lmao endless ocean isn't obscure, it's like $8 on amazon for a used copy shipped
sin and punishment is also only like $12 used on amazon

just buy them both for less than the price of either new

however, if you're unable to buy from amazon, get s&p, it's a far better game. endless ocean is nice and all but definitely not as impactful as SS

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Don't buy either one, they're not fun and you won't enjoy them. Problem solved.

lmao endless ocean isn't obscure, it's like $8 on amazon for a used copy shipped
sin and punishment is also only like $12 used on amazon

however, if you're unable to buy from amazon, get s&p, it's a far better game. endless ocean is nice and all but definitely not as impactful as SS

Amazon isn't available in my country, which is overall pretty bare on Nintendo stuff, so everything that's not Mario and Zelda is "obscure" here.

SegaShack

Sin and Punishment is one if my favorite games of all time. It is in my opinion the best action game ever. You are infinitely more involved in it than any other action game due to the uniqueness of how you move around and aim separately while on rails. The dynamic of the fire buttom turning info a powerful sword when used quickly in close range also adds a lot of variety to the game.

Sin and Punishment 2 definitely carries these traits over. I prefer the levels in the first one, but 2 is amazing as well and has fantastic level design. Imagine going through underwater tunnels while ninjamen on scubba jets jump out from the current and giant fish are trying to eat you. Fantastic game. If you love arcade type action games, the Sin and Punishment series is the way to do it. They are straight up perfection. Short, sweet, and incredibly well polished. Also note that when you play, play with the Gamecube controller as that is what the game was designed around and Wii Remote makes it too easy.

If you have WiFi I'd recommend just downloading Sin and Punishment 1 from Virtual Console as I think it's the better game.

Both Endless Ocean and Blue World are great, relaxing exploration games.

Star Successor is OMG ONE OF THE BEST ACTION GAMES I'VE EVER PLAYED

Depends on your mood, I suppose.

Both Endless Ocean and Blue World are great, relaxing exploration games.

Star Successor is OMG ONE OF THE BEST ACTION GAMES I'VE EVER PLAYED

Depends on your mood, I suppose.

Well, that's the problem, lol. I appreciate both types of game the same, so I'm struggling to pick up only one of them. I eventually pick both of them up, I think, it's just the matter of which one to buy first.

mrmickfran

sprsk said:
I thought Uncharted 2 was going to be this year's thrillride game to play, but man, I was wrong. I was way wrong. Sin and Punishment 2 grabs a hold of your dick and won't let go until it's done with you. Every level is just jam fucking packed with the coolest shit you will see in a game this year, maybe even this decade (lol, sure why not?). Just when you thought Treasure has run out of ideas, they totally fucking flip the switch and say "oh yeah, now you've gotta do THIS crazy shit!" and you're like "FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!" but somehow you make it through and you are left for only a brief moment thanking your lucky stars until shit goes absolutely nuts again.

Soltype

Star Successor is easily one of the best games last gen, it's practically perfect.

Don't buy either one, they're not fun and you won't enjoy them. Problem solved.

btKhosf.gif

I don't get these 'Sell me X' 'Convince me on Y' threads. They sound so entitled. Why would I want to? Ever heard of ASKING NICELY?

SegaShack

I don't get these 'Sell me X' 'Convince me on Y' threads. They sound so entitled. Why would I want to? Ever heard of ASKING NICELY?
To be honest before I had a salaried full time job I would also do a lot of research on what games to buy. Also some people trust gaf's opinions more than anyone else's.

To be honest before I had a salaried full time job I would also do a lot of research on what games to buy. Also some people trust gaf's opinions more than anyone else's.

I guess I'm just amazed that most of those threads don't begin and end with 'Figure it out your damn self if you ask a question like you're commanding me to explain/sell shit to you', or just 'No'.

The replies some people come up with are wonderfully informative, so I guess everyone wins.

The Hermit

Endless ocean is awesome if you like exploration game.

I really want a VR game like that, it can be so good (and so scary)

And star successor is what Star Fox wish it was. So yeah.

SegaShack

I guess I'm just amazed that most of those threads don't begin and end with 'Figure it out your damn self if you ask a question like you're commanding me to explain/sell shit to you', or just 'No'.

The replies some people come up with are wonderfully informative, so I guess everyone wins.
Yeah. Personally I always do research on my own instead of asking for opinions, but some people operate differently.

I suppose "sell me X" became a set phrase without literal meaning, like "ELI5" ("explain like I'm five"), so I used it just to make clear what I would like to know and hear. I definitely didn't want to come up as a rude or lazy person, and I'm genuinely sorry if I do. Point taken, won't use "sell me" as a set phrase.

I usually do my own research too, but in this particular situation, I ask for comparison of two definitely incomparable games, and reviews/individual opinions can't provide that. I want to know what game left more impact on someone or which game was more fun... really didn't know how to find it out without directly asking someone.

I suppose "sell me X" became a set phrase without literal meaning, like "ELI5" ("explain like I'm five"), so I used it just to make clear what I would like to know and hear. I definitely didn't want to come up as a rude or lazy person, and I'm genuinely sorry if I do. Point taken, won't use "sell me" as a set phrase.

I usually do my own research too, but in this particular situation, I ask for comparison of two definitely incomparable games, and reviews/individual opinions can't provide that. I want to know what game left more impact on someone or which game was more fun... really didn't know how to find it out without directly asking someone.

That's alright man, you asked nicely in the OP at least. Asking for opinions isn't bad at all, it's just that some people sound like entitled assholes when doing so. Hope you found what you were looking for :)

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Sin and Punishment is one if my favorite games of all time. It is in my opinion the best action game ever. You are infinitely more involved in it than any other action game due to the uniqueness of how you move around and aim separately while on rails. The dynamic of the fire buttom turning info a powerful sword when used quickly in close range also adds a lot of variety to the game.

Sin and Punishment 2 definitely carries these traits over. I prefer the levels in the first one, but 2 is amazing as well and has fantastic level design. Imagine going through underwater tunnels while ninjamen on scubba jets jump out from the current and giant fish are trying to eat you. Fantastic game. If you love arcade type action games, the Sin and Punishment series is the way to do it. They are straight up perfection. Short, sweet, and incredibly well polished. Also note that when you play, play with the Gamecube controller as that is what the game was designed around and Wii Remote makes it too easy.

If you have WiFi I'd recommend just downloading Sin and Punishment 1 from Virtual Console as I think it's the better game.

I agree with this opinion. The first Sin & Punishment is the better of the two and should be played regardless. It's like ten bucks on the Wii Shop Channel and worth every cent. The second one is good but didn't live up to the creativity and intensity of the first, for me.

Endless Ocean 2 (being the first game I played in the series, as well as the first in its genre) had a similarly transformative effect on me as the original Sin & Punishment.

Robotguy

I haven't played Endless Ocean, but Sin and Punishment 2 is fantastic. One of my top 3 Wii games. I consider it a must own for anyone with a Wii/ Wii U who likes that sort of game.

I agree with this opinion. The first Sin & Punishment is the better of the two and should be played regardless. It's like ten bucks on the Wii Shop Channel and worth every cent. The second one is good but didn't live up to the creativity and intensity of the first, for me.

Endless Ocean 2 (being the first game I played in the series, as well as the first in its genre) had a similarly transformative effect on me as the original Sin & Punishment.
Better than Sin and Punishment 2? Is such a thing even possible? BRB, downloading.

Mdk7

Sin & Punishment 2 is certainly one of the best games of the last decade, and it's a fucking shame no one played it. I'd say it's time for you to step to the right side of the barricade. ;)
Plus, on a personal level, it's the one and only perfect score i've ever given to a game in like 12 years as a gaming journalist. :p

Hazanko

Banned
Endless Ocean is an experience you don't forget. Was worth getting a Wii for that game alone, beautiful music too.

Llyranor

Sin & Punishment 2 is imo one of the best action games out there. It was my 2nd favorite game last gen after Bayonetta.

Great levels and bosses, and a tough challenge if that's what you're looking for. It also has pretty much perfect Wiimote aiming controls.

ASIS

S&P2 is a great game, it really is. But I'm not as crazy about it as other people here are.

You've watched the trailer on the e-shop, so you have a pretty good idea about it. It is a straight up action game from beginning to end with almost no time to rest. Every second is more intense than the one before, and the game really doesn't forgive your mistakes. You play on-rails but you have control over your character's movement anywhere on screen, but you should stay on the ground to gather more points (it's more difficult to evade this way though) you will also be using the Wiimote to aim at the enemies or creatures you want to shoot. At any given time you can fire constant shots by holding B, charge shot by holding A (which takes a few seconds to cool down), or tap B to perform a melee strike. you can also use the melee attack to counter some enemy projectiles and throw it straight in their faces. So with all these options you are constantly engaged in shooting, charging, evading, and deflecting attacks through swarms of enemies until you clear a level. And thankfully the level design is just as good as the core mechanics of the game.

There are 7 (or maybe 8? i don't remember well) levels in the game. Each have their own theme, enemies, and rhythm. And yes, they are very creative, very intense, and over all fantastic. The boss fights in this game are outstanding as well, I dare say some of the best I've experienced on the Wii. So although the entire game is around 4 hours long. You will feel the need to get right back into the level again and again until you mastered every nook and cranny of the game. Personally, this is the "great" part of the game. The reward for mastery isn't some unique weapon or points or upgrades or any of that shit. No no, mastering the game gives an intrinsic feeling of achievement as you realize that the levels have a certain flow to them, and getting in that zone is the point of this game.

HOWEVER, what bogs the experience down for me are two things.

First is the animation, it needs to be said that the game has great animation overall, but I don't like the fact that the characters don't react to their surroundings, or should I say react very poorly. The sense of speed isn't reflected on them, the explosions doesn't seem to bother them, the water or sand all seem to be treated similarly, etc. etc. It gives a feeling that the characters are in some kind of green screen, completely detached from the experience. Of course you will be too busy worrying about what's going on the scene to care, but to me it really bogged down what could've be an absolute masterpiece.

Second one is the sound design. Yes the game has a suitable soundtrack, but my god are the sound effects terrible. They just don't feel like they give the extra oomph to accompany the visuals.

So yeah that's my complete opinion on S&P2, I recommend it, but I don't think it's a masterpiece.

Hylian7

Sin & Punishment 2, hands down. The game is pretty cheap now and is absolutely worth playing. It's a well put-together action-shooter that even has a lot of variety, moreso than the first S&P did.

GamerJM

Banned
Never played S&P2 but Endless Ocean is chill, though there's not a whole lot too it.

Also I'll be honest, I didn't really like S&P1 all that much. It's one of Treasure's lesser games that I've played IMO. I dunno, I'm just not a big fan of rail shooters and it didn't do anything for me to change that. It's the only reason I haven't played 2 yet despite it being pretty cheap.

SegaShack

Better than Sin and Punishment 2? Is such a thing even possible? BRB, downloading.

A lot better in my opinion. It has a much better flow too. Also the close range attack doesn't do that 3 time combo animation thing like S&P2 (which would always get me killed due to how long the animation would take).

Sin and Punishment 2 is great but the first one is a masterpiece.

Eolz

Sin & Punishment 2 is the best third person shooter on rails out there, and pretty hardcore.
However, it's also on WiiU (digital).

Endless Ocean is a fantastic series, despite some problems, but both 1&2 are different enough to try to look up the details and decide which one you'd prefer. While still being really good (EO3 or EOHD Nintendo please), they're not at the level of quality of S&P2.

Celine

No one need to be sold on Sin and Punishment 2, it is one of the best games on Wii.
If you remotely like the genre buy it.

Top Bottom