• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SemiAccurate: Nintendo NX handheld to use Nvidia Tegra-based Soc

Eolz

Good news if that tweet is true, but hopefully not also too much of a dumbed down chip compared to the new Tegra...

kami_sama

Wii U is 176, actually. 352 was the hopeful number at onset but the math was wrong.

Wii U is 176 GFLOPS. I really wish the big tech websites would have given it another look after all the work we forumites put into analyzing that thing. I still see the higher spec floating around quite a bit and it just messies up discussions.

Goddamn. It'll be at least twice as powerful as the Wii U.
Considering almost every phone chip is better than the Wii U's cpu, it's going to be a next-planet leap from the 3ds to this console.

Eolz

Goddamn. It'll be at least twice as powerful as the Wii U.
Considering almost every phone chip is better than the Wii U's cpu, it's going to be a next-planet leap from the 3ds to this console.

Monster Hunter fans will be happy at least, that's for sure :p

Rodin

I'll post this again: http://www.tweaktown.com/news/52119/nintendo-nx-powered-nvidia-tegra-processor-amd-chip/index.html

Posted: May 14, 2016 3:28 am
Tweaktown and the brazilian dude on the money.

Also, good guess by Leadbetter.

Just wondering, for quick reference since we're talking leaps and bounds from the 3DS, what's the respective horsepowers of the 3DS GPU, Vita GPU, Tegra X1 and what we know of the Tegra X2?

3DS: 6.8 gflops
TX1: 512 gflops
TX2: we don't know yet but it will be a huge improvement in terms of efficiency, which means we can get better performances for the same power draw.

Just wondering, for quick reference since we're talking leaps and bounds from the 3DS, what's the respective horsepowers of the 3DS GPU, Vita GPU, Tegra X1 and what we know of the Tegra X2?

3DS: 6.8 gflops
TX1: 512 gflops
TX2: we don't know yet but it will be a huge improvement in terms of efficiency, which means we can get better performances for the same power draw.

Bloody hell, the 3DS to Tegra X1 jump is basically a 75.2 times increase in power. Shame the X2's performance (or whatever GPU the NX is gonna have) is probably not gonna be even twice the X1 (which would get it up to roughly Xbone level), but the massive leap from the 3DS is insane.

Jesus... ANyone going from 3DS to even an X1 based portable is going to FEEL it

W97kPmK.gif

Go one step further: Why take one of their biggest releases in years (Zelda: BotW) and release it on the handheld instead of waiting for the dedicate home console?

I'm starting to look at it this way:

With Apple, the tablet idea actually came first, and the iPhone idea came later. We all know the iPhone was the product that actually came to market first, though, because it was the device that Apple decided was strategically more important.

But just because they decided the iPhone was the strategically necessary device didn't stop them from eventually making the iPad once the use cases started to emerge from what they observed from the iPhone business.

Griss

Everything seems to be coming together. It seems there was some kind of leak (perhaps from Nvidia) in May - that's when SemiAccurate, Tweaktown and the Brazillian forum user all leaked stuff that in hindsight seems 100% on the money.

Then two months later (as predicted by the Brazillian) Eurogamer, Wall Street Journal and the rest all say stuff that appears to corroborate those reports, after a leak that is probably due to the dev kits finally being sent out.

Now NateDrake says it's pascal, which was the May report from tweaktown

It would be very strange if all of this is incorrect now, it's adding up too well.

Which means I'm delighted that we'll have an advanced chip in this thing.

marmoka

Banned
This is getting more and more interesting.

I don't know what Nintendo is waiting for. The should announce the console this September.

Even if we already know how that console will be, the NX thirst is real.

kami_sama

Bloody hell, the 3DS to Tegra X1 jump is basically a 75.2 times increase in power. Shame the X2's performance (or whatever GPU the NX is gonna have) is probably not gonna be even twice the X1 (which would get it up to roughly Xbone level), but the massive leap from the 3DS is insane.

Even if they keep the GFLOPS the same as the x1, being pascal and in 16nm means a lot better power consuption. For reference, the 980ti and the 1070, with around the same power in games:

980ti: 5.63 TFLOPS, 250W
1070: 6.5 TFLOPS, 170W

Schnozberry

I personally think a Tegra X2 won't be powering the NX, but rather a cut down version (N1?)

It certainly won't be a reference design, but I wouldn't assume it will be cut down, just different. I'm guessing it won't feature any Denver cores (barring some SDK Magic) and will have some ESRAM. Nintendo would present Nvidia with their largest Tegra opportunity ever. Plus Nintendo's lead on SOC design was a high level engineer at Nvidia previously. There's good reason for hope here.

Even if they keep the GFLOPS the same as the x1, being pascal and in 16nm means a lot better power consuption. For reference, the 980ti and the 1070, with around the same power in games:

980ti: 5.63 TFLOPS, 250W
1070: 6.5 TFLOPS, 170W

Keep in mind X1 is 20nm while 980ti is 28nm, so the gain would be smaller.

EVH

So let's say this thing is able to run cut down xbone games. Get ready for "only in dock mode" icons on game boxes.

Does UE4 have a mode to auto adapt game complexity according to power of the device?

Vena

More and more the Brazilian info is seemingly accurate. Still doubtful but growing less so...

Forbsome fun: But then he noted that MS and Sony may be copying it to some degree if the modularity is true. I wonder if that's going to pan out in the Neo and Scorpio. Or are they truly too late.

... or we get a sixaxis knock off. :p

More and more the Brazilian info is seemingly accurate. Still doubtful but growing less so...

Forbsome fun: But then he noted that MS and Sony may be copying it to some degree if the modularity is true. I wonder if that's going to pan out in the Neo and Scorpio. Or are they truly too late.

... or we get a sixaxis knock off. :p

How are they copying it if it's not out or even revealed?

McHuj

No, we just need info on the CPU side.

If the GPU side is truly modern, then we can reasonably say it won't be a57 based.

So either A72+A53 or maybe Denver+A53?

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
So let's say this thing is able to run cut down xbone games. Get ready for "only in dock mode" icons on game boxes.

Does UE4 have a mode to auto adapt game complexity according to power of the device?

And if not, it will need one soon, given the PS4K and Scorpio.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Comparing pipelines of considerable fixed-function functionality (like the pixel shaders in PICA200) to fully-programmable fully-unified shader pipelines (like the TK1+) is never trivial. If FLOPS cannot really tell the picture across similar-generation shader pipelines, just imagine how much more difficult it is to tell what computations in a fixed pipeline take what "FLOPS" in equivalence.

No, we just need info on the CPU side.

If the GPU side is truly modern, then we can reasonably say it won't be a57 based.

So either A72+A53 or maybe Denver+A53?
Indeed. Nintendo have no reason to stick with A57.

Vena

How are they copying it if it's not out or even revealed?

The Brazilian dude noted that MS knew of the NX plan and would potentially incorporate it going forward. Sony would do similat, in theory, if they knew.

Sixaxis was a reference becaused it was cobbled together to tick the balk of the box.

But I am joking.

Top Bottom