• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SemiAccurate: Nintendo NX handheld to use Nvidia Tegra-based Soc

Donovan1209

Neo Member
These rumors are sounding better and better each time. I'm curious to see how many of them hold up in the end. The amount of power with that chip will be incredible in a handheld.

Just don't fail me on the battery life.

Best news so far out of everything. Does this mean it could play current third party games without much effort?

In console mode, it is conceivable that it could play current gen games with the right clock speed, but memory bandwidth would still be a problem, so "without much effort" might be asking a bit too much.

Schnozberry

Best news so far out of everything. Does this mean it could play current third party games without much effort?

From a hardware standpoint it should be capable of supporting all modern engines within reason. I wouldn't expect parity, but if there is money to be made I'm sure it'll get ports.

McHuj

These rumors are sounding better and better each time. I'm curious to see how many of them hold up in the end. The amount of power with that chip will be incredible in a handheld.

Just don't fail me on the battery life.

Maybe. Just because it's Pascal based doesn't mean it will be incredibly powerful. The GPU can scale down significantly.

Although I would still expect WiiU graphics with decent battery life in a handheld as the low bar.

Maniel

Banned
Pascal should be a nice boost to X1 in power efficiency. I was already very happy with X1 level graphics, so anything more is just icing on the cake

Does this new info/rumor jive more with Osiris' post about the NX being able to have versions of PS4/XboxOne games with no problems???

That's what came up when I saw Nate's tweet.

Donovan1209

Neo Member
Maybe. Just because it's Pascal based doesn't mean it will be incredibly powerful. The GPU can scale down significantly.

Although I would still expect WiiU graphics with decent battery life in a handheld as the low bar.

That's more than okay with me. A device that's more powerful than the Wii U and a handheld sounds too good to be true. So much excitement.

Pascal should be a nice boost to X1 in power efficiency. I was already very happy with X1 level graphics, so anything more is just icing on the cake

Happy with X1? I assume only for the handheld? Because for console it's really not all that hot at all.

It's cool and all that it will be the most powerful handheld but console wise just a bit better than Wii U would be ridiculous to be honest.

Schnozberry

Going from 20nm X1 down to 16nm Pascal should gain them some extra die space as well. I'm curious how they use it.

NateDrake

Does this new info/rumor jive more with Osiris' post about the NX being able to have versions of PS4/XboxOne games with no problems???

That's what came up when I saw Nate's tweet.

Not necessarily. Pascal is an architecture type. It's power efficient.

I didn't say anything about power or specs.

This seems new thread worthy.

Anyone care to make one?

Is NateDrake Spanish by any chance?
I'm not Spanish.

-Horizon-

#ibelieveinNateDrake

XpzKsup.gif

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The main gain for a Pascal architecture will be that it can run cooler at higher clocks than X1 in handheld mode. Less power hungry. Or if Nintendo wants to push it it could run at higher clocks with the same power consumption.

Maniel

Banned
Happy with X1? I assume only for the handheld? Because for console it's really not all that hot at all.

It's cool and all that it will be the most powerful handheld but console wise just a bit better than Wii U would be ridiculous to be honest.
Well this thing is going to be a handheld to me, first and foremost. I honestly was not expecting the 3ds's successor to have more power than the Wii U.

Going from 20nm X1 down to 16nm Pascal should gain them some extra die space as well. I'm curious how they use it.

I don't know how much space 16nm will give them, but I'm personally hoping they use it to make the battery bigger.

Ryoku

The main gain for a Pascal architecture will be that it can run cooler at higher clocks than X1 in handheld mode. Less power hungry. Or if Nintendo wants to push it it could run at higher clocks with the same power consumption.

Nah. Set that shit on fire!

Bit-Bit

OH god guys, ya'll getting me hyped on rumors.

Just imagine, playing a game that looks like a WiiU game when you're out of the house, then when you dock it at home, it looks like a Xbone game.

NEED

Rodin

Not necessarily. Pascal is an architecture type. It's power efficient.
Its power may (or may not) allow that, but i'd still say that there's a connection that can be made between what you reported and what osiris/lcgeek hinted at.

A Maxwell-based Tegra semi-custom chip has simply less chances of "having a noticeably better CPU than Xbox One" and to "receive ports from current gen consoles with little to no issues", exactly because it's less efficient. We're talking about a handheld device here, efficiency is key to having good performances. Being close to the Xbox One depends mostly on screen resolution and the dock being able to give extra power to the device (by a strong upclock of the components or adding more cores, or both), but of course it's not a given as we have absolutely no idea of how that thing works. But at this point we can safely assume that the loud fan in current devkits was due to the X1 being overclocked to get close to the higher capabilities of the final chip, like we (and Leadbetter) speculated.

Then sure we have no idea or proof of how close this is to Xbox One (and far from the Wii U) in the best possible conditions, and we likely won't have any before it's officially announced, but we have a few hints at least that point in the direction of Pascal allowing better performances than a Maxwell-based chip, instead of simply being used only to lower power consumption.

Both Nvidia and Nintendo would benefit greatly.

It's a damn solid partnership.

It's quite sensible for Nintendo and assuming the best, would play extremely well to their goals. Nvidia might not be so lucky though. I hope NX does well for both of them as it's probably the last stand for dedicated handheld systems.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Is not like Nvidia has very high standards for such kind of publicity, they did it for the Ouya after all :p . While Nvidia is a powerhouse on the desktop GPU scene and has solid endeavours on embedded devices like cars CPU's, they need all the help they can get with their mobile efforts. Any Nintendo hardware is higher profile than their own Shield line.

LCGeek

formerly sane
It's quite sensible for Nintendo and assuming the best, would play extremely well to their goals. Nvidia might not be so lucky though. I hope NX does well for both of them as it's probably the last stand for dedicated handheld systems.

Nvidia wants a real mobile presence. They are interested in console or mobile efforts if there is money to be made, this company does not leave things on the table especially if its in their own interest. As we talked about in other tech threads, nvidia was told along with tegra to take a hike on 3ds. Now there's shitloads of buzzing that they are working together. This akin to 3dfx or powervr being passed on n64 out of the blue for SGI.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
No. It is an architecture, more efficient in terms of consumption and heating but not necessarily in terms orme raw power. Being different from the xbox one architecture could even bring more issues, but being newer and better should be seen as very positive anyway

With a modest screen and clocks, it could actually turn out to be quite good.

The fact that it's Pascal-based seems to ensure that efficiency is a prime consideration.

I'm no expert though.

I hope so. Tend to play my handhelds as if they're consoles powered into a socket, aka for hours, so it needs to have good battery life.

The Brazilian dude noted that MS knew of the NX plan and would potentially incorporate it going forward. Sony would do similat, in theory, if they knew.

Sixaxis was a reference becaused it was cobbled together to tick the balk of the box.

But I am joking.

lol oh right. I'm not sure how that would fit into their strategies, but time will tell!

phanphare

Banned
3DS: 6.8 gflops
TX1: 512 gflops
TX2: we don't know yet but it will be a huge improvement in terms of efficiency, which means we can get better performances for the same power draw.
Jesus... ANyone going from 3DS to even an X1 based portable is going to FEEL it

::kid wants new thing that plays pokemon::

::mom buys kid new thing that plays pokemon::

::kids boots up new thing that plays pokemon for the first time::

4QeLl.gif

Top Bottom