• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seminal Science Fiction Novel Stranger in a Strange Land Being Adapted into TV Series

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
813lWptJn3L.jpg

Article from Forbes

Although Stranger in a Strange Land began as a cult favorite when it was published in 1961, its cult status didn't last long. It won the Hugo Award for Best Novel in 1962, one of four of Heinlein' s books to win the coveted prize. (The others were Double Star, Starship Troopers, and The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.) Stranger was the first science fiction novel to make the New York Times bestseller list and the US Library of Congress included it in an exhibition called The Books That Shaped America.

Writing in the New York Times, Michael Dirda characterized The Books That Shaped America as an exhibition that:

"puts on display what one might call the classics of upset and troublemaking. When first published, these books shocked people, made them angry, shook up their deepest beliefs. They shamed readers with accounts of racism, greed, corruption, Puritanism and provincial narrow-mindedness."

Stranger did all of that. It's about a human raised by Martians named Valentine Michael Smith who is discovered on Mars and returned to Earth. Smith is baffled by human culture and society and he proceeds to found the Church of All Worlds that promotes communal living and uninhibited sexuality. Some have seen Stranger as foreseeing aspects of the mid-to-late '60s counterculture that the media labeled as "free love" and "hippies" (we didn't called ourselves that).

One of the greatest science fiction novels ever written from one of the all time greats, Robert Heinlein of Startship Troopers fame is going to become a TV series on the SyFy channel. Its one of the all time classics and its going to be incredibly difficult to adapt to a TV series or really adapt at all considering the incredible about of taboo themes the book covers whether its cannibalism or true free love its an incredible work of fiction and quite possible one of Heinlein's greatest ever. I wish SciFi the best of luck because I can't imagine undertaking bringing this to TV will be easy or without controversy.

If you ever heard anyone say the word Grok, this is the book that it comes from btw.

For those who want to know more about the book:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stranger_in_a_Strange_Land

Stranger in a Strange Land is a 1961 science fiction novel by American author Robert A. Heinlein. It tells the story of Valentine Michael Smith, a human who comes to Earth in early adulthood after being born on the planet Mars and raised by Martians. The novel explores his interaction with—and eventual transformation of—terrestrial culture. In 2012, the US Library of Congress named it one of 88 "Books that Shaped America".[2]

Eat my body if old.

Busty

Banned
At one point this was going to be Hanks and Zemeckis' follow up to Forest Gump.

Now it's going to SyFy.

Oi vey.

JohnsonUT

Great book. Not sure this will work well. Also based on the later half of the book, this should probably be on HBO where nudity is allowed and encouraged.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
At one point this was going to be Hanks and Zemeckis' follow up to Forest Gump.

Now it's going to SyFy.

Oi vey.

They've done a great job with The Expanse so I'll give them the benefit of a doubt. Realistically this would have been a better choice for HBO or Netflix or a channel that can get away with the amounts of nudity and sex that are present in the books.

Does the book even hold up? I read it back in high school and found myself uninterested with most of its developments.

That said, I guess we'll have our male born-sexy yesterday.

Top Bottom