• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senate health-care draft repeals Obamacare taxes, bigger subsidies for low-income

br3wnor

The amendment process is limited in reconciliation. Any thing that costs money has to be fully offset. Which will make this difficult to do.

Hence "token" amendments. They won't be anything substantive, they'll just be something the Senators can point to that allows them to vote yes w/ some semblance of political cover.

I really, really hope I'm wrong, but nothing this Republican Congress has done since Trump is in office makes me think all of this isn't just posturing. The House bill was completely dead after they pulled the vote and a month later they squeaked it through by sheer force of duty to party.

cackhyena

I want to explode.

Sean Hannity‏Verified account @seanhannity 14h14 hours ago
More
.@KellyannePolls on health care changes: "This is not being done to keep a campaign promise... It's a moral imperative." #Hannity

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I want to explode.

More
.@KellyannePolls on health care changes: "This is not being done to keep a campaign promise... It's a moral imperative." #Hannity

It's being done to break a campaign promise...

LiK

I want to explode.

More

lmao, what morals

Kevinroc

I want to explode.

More

To Republicans it's a "moral imperative" to kick so many off their health care, to condemn so many to death, to condemn so many to bankruptcy, so the ultra rich can get a tax break.

Beartruck

DC8Cz24W0AAdGYk.jpg

https://twitter.com/FoxReports/status/877923562035617792

"He might also note that he's up for re-election in 2018."
https://twitter.com/MatthewNussbaum/status/877924561110675457
Oh no concerns, anything but that! How about you just say NO you mealy mouthed fuck?

block your caller ID and bombard sen heller, sen capito, and sen collins/murkowsi.

find a zip code from the state so they'll take you seriously. don't read a script, and be as polite as possible in expressing your strong opposition to the bill and what it will mean to those who need help the most.

Lo-Volt

Oh no concerns, anything but that! How about you just say NO you mealy mouthed fuck?

Maybe he wants a concession to take home for his re-election. Considering the buzzsaw Rep. MacArthur walked into trying the same trick, I would question its effectiveness. But I wonder if Heller thinks he has leverage.

old

The bill just accepts that less people will be covered. They're just pushing it back and making it a slower bleed.

Future

The bill just accepts that less people will be covered. They're just pushing it back and making it a slower bleed.

Smart move, because the bleed will be slow while still in office but eventually someone else will have to deal with the aftermath

Maxim726X

Smart move, because the bleed will be slow while still in office but eventually someone else will have to deal with the aftermath

Yep. Great strategy, honestly.

Just in time to blame the Dems, if they even gain control of a single branch of government by then.

studyguy

The strategy assumes markets don't collapse ahead of their schedule when we already see them quaking in their boots due to the uncertainty of waiver usage if it passes. Going 'yeah 7 year delay on medicaid' for example sounds great on paper, but when your market is literally on a timeline to death, it doesn't seem like it works out in action that way.

gruenel

Its double tax cuts for people who won't even fucking notice the increase at the end of the day.

Like wow, Millionaries are totally cool with watching people die terrible deaths at a few extra thousand dollars a year to add to their piles.
Money is a hell of a drug

I'm not seeing a thing in the coverage about pre-existing conditions. Does it still let states apply for a waiver against pre-existing conditions?

I mean the health industry is a freaking monster and bribes the politicians, Of course they would get rid of all the taxes and still not reduce costs.

Market won't last long enough for whatever BS "2020" timeline the GOP is spewing.

Insurers are going to jump ship and people are going to lose coverage, before the ink has a chance to dry.

Damaniel

Banned
The quality of life differences between Red and Blue states is going to just keep widening.

That's the conclusion I draw. Blue states will continue to do the right thing (though the Medicaid cuts will hurt), and red states will all rush to receive waivers that eliminate any hope of receiving insurance coverage for those who aren't already covered by employers. Won't stop voters in those states from voting for Republicans though.

Tovarisc

Insurers to Senate: Proposal could harm 74M on Medicaid
Insurance companies are a powerful voice in virtually any congressional debate over health care.

In the case of the Senate health-care bill, some insurers didn’t even wait for the official release before expressing their concerns.

This week, the heads of 10 managed care organizations — which help deliver Medicaid benefits around the country — told Senate leaders they are “united in our opposition to the Medicaid policies currently being debated by the Senate.”

“Our primary concerns lie in the impacts these policies will have on the 74 million low-income, disabled and elderly Americans whose health care coverage through Medicaid rests in the hands of the Senate as you craft new legislation,” the executives wrote in a letter Tuesday.

Their managed care organizations serve 13.5 million people in 23 states who use Medicaid, they wrote.
The managed care executives called this “an enormous cost shift to states” that will require them to raise taxes, cut benefits, narrow eligibility or lower reimbursements to health-care providers.

“There are no hidden efficiencies that states can use to address gaps of this magnitude without harming beneficiaries or imposing undue burden to our health care system and all U.S. taxpayers,” the executives wrote.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...o-senate-proposal-could-harm-74m-on-medicaid/

If this passes, that means my mom lose her Medicare which has been paying for her back treatments. Which means she is gonna suffer. Which means I'm gonna go fucking ballistic and THERE WILL BE HELL TO PAY!!!!!!

RPGCrazied

If this passes, that means my mom lose her Medicare which has been paying for her back treatments. Which means she is gonna suffer. Which means I'm gonna go fucking ballistic and THERE WILL BE HELL TO PAY!!!!!!

I'm sorry. But some people, like me, have no insurance at all. I wonder how bad it will be for me trying to get anything.

Trump promised no cuts to Medicare or Social Security. He should condemn the bill if he wants to keep his word.

.@KellyannePolls on health care changes: "This is not being done to keep a campaign promise... It's a moral imperative."

---

The just see a huge tax cut for the rich and go for it.

Wouldn't be suprised if they give out vouchers for bootstraps.

Top Bottom