• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senate healthcare repeal bill fails - Collins, Murkowski, and McCain voted no

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Someone must have showed McCain that comic strip.

Yall have to admit that McCain no vote was fucking monumental. I'm still feeling hype from this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUVYYiRIuE4

breakdown of this moment

I actually thought he was the one who said "NO!" loudly but that was apparently someone else. All McCain did was

giphy.gif

and then he strolled off LIKE A BOSS

biDFHU0.gif

and the rest was history.

epmode

I hate him so much. Both sides have had the opportunity to get rid of the filibuster for the last ~150 years but it never happened.

rjinaz

...and when the Democrats have >50 senators? Does he ask them pwetty pwease to change the rules to what they were?

Trump really doesn't care. He just wants to "win". If he has even thought about what will happen when Dems get back in power, which of course he hasn't really, he'd assume he wouldn't be around anyway. I am still disgusted with my fellow Americans that voted for a man that doesn't care about the good of the country but only the good of Trump. He proves it every damn day.

Garlador

Trump really doesn't care. He just wants to "win". If he has even thought about what will happen when Dems get back in power, which of course he hasn't, he'd assume he wouldn't be around anyway. I am still disgusted with my fellow Americans that voted for a man that doesn't care about the good of the country but only the good of Trump. He proves it every damn day.

To quote my mother, "but at least he's not Hillary."

That's the motto of many Republican voters.

Ms.Galaxy

Here's a new tweetstorm:

JkZifBM.png

buuut you couldn't even get those 51 votes?

Never gonna happen, Trump. Republicans know that eventually the tides will give Democrats majority, and if the GOP decides to break the filibusterer, the Democrats will push whatever laws and budgets they want through congress without resistance and, well...

rjinaz

To quote my mother, "but at least he's not Hillary."

That's the motto of many Republican voters.

Yeah. The hate for Hillary is still very strong. Republicans have shown they excel in one thing, turning American voters against something or someone, in this case Clinton.

But what can you do? Democrats need to run somebody that the Republicans haven't had years to shit on in their brainwashing (say what you want, lie and you won't be held accountable) right media.

lush

Nothing but party line votes is totes how the founding fathers intended our government to function. Can't wait for Dems to nuke the filibuster when they regain power.

cwmartin

Never gonna happen, Trump. Republicans know that eventually the tides will give Democrats majority, and if the GOP decides to break the filibusterer, the Democrats will push whatever laws and budgets they want through congress without resistance and, well...

...actually pass some legislation that would help it's citizens? Progress the country socially? The horror.

Preibus on CNN said they could still try again before reconciliation is over. The house said the same. So who's right?

Sorta both. Reconciliation allows one vote on Revenues, Spending and Debt. They've burned the easy vehicle with this abortion of a bill: Spending

They can bring two more bills, bit they have to be relevant to revenue and debt. You can add a bunch of smaller things to hobble the ACA, but it's less effective towards that goal, and you're more likely to run afoul of the Senate Parliamentarian's rules on what's germane.

If McConnell is intent on killing the filibuster, I think it's going to happen this session, or not at all.

Sorta both. Reconciliation allows one vote on Revenues, Spending and Debt. They've burned the easy vehicle with this abortion of a bill: Spending

They can bring two more bills, bit they have to be relevant to revenue and debt. You can add a bunch of smaller things to hobble the ACA, but it's less effective towards that goal, and you're more likely to run afoul of the Senate Parliamentarian's rules on what's germane.

If McConnell is intent on killing the filibuster, I think it's going to happen this session, or not at all.

That's inconsistent with what potatoman and pigeon are stating above. It's not one VOTE, it's one successful BILL.

That's inconsistent with what potatoman and pigeon are stating above. It's not one VOTE, it's one successful BILL.

Here is the info I'm working from. YMMV

Under Senate interpretations of the Congressional Budget Act, the Senate can consider the three basic subjects of reconciliation — spending, revenues, and debt limit — in a single bill or multiple bills, but it can consider each of these three in only one bill per year (unless Congress passes a second budget resolution). Consequently, in the Senate there can be a maximum of three reconciliation bills in a year, one for each of the basic subjects of reconciliation.

This rule is most significant if the first reconciliation bill that the Senate takes up affects both spending and revenues. Even if that bill is overwhelmingly devoted to only one of those subjects, no subsequent reconciliation bill can affect either revenues or spending because the first bill already addressed them.

https://www.cbpp.org/research/federal-budget/introduction-to-budget-reconciliation

Unfortunately (and probably by design), each of these major changes is being packaged as an ammendment to the same bill.

They're further limited by the Congressional calendar. They need to push taxes before the end of the fiscal year, deal with the debt ceiling, and still situate themselves for the 2018 midterms. They can't jerk themselves off while the infrastructure of government melts down around them.

What I do see happening is the GOP trying to extort repeal of the mandate for consideration of the debt ceiling increase. They're that fucking stoopid

So I've been thinking about what the path forward for Repubicans will be when it comes to health (if they keep going) and I think I have it.

It would have to be sending the money spent on Obamacare to the states to spend on their own plans. These could then be whatever the states want to implement. If a state is happy with insurance markets, they can stick with that. If a more liberal state wants to do single payer, they can. If a state wants a more conservative option (whatver that is exactly) they can do that too.

That way they can say they repealed Obamacare, claim "states rights" for conservative cred, and not look too much like hyprocrits if their own states end up just keeping a rough approximation of Obamacare since "it should have been at the state level anyway."

The more savvy Republicans could point out that this is literally what Canada does to try to woo over moderates, and for the most part it is (we also have a lot of strings attached and we insist on single payer).

greepoman

The more savvy Republicans could point out that this is literally what Canada does to try to woo over moderates, and for the most part it is (we also have a lot of strings attached and we insist on single payer).

Let's be more like Canada isn't going fly with Republicans lol.

If McCain really wanted to screw with McConnell, he would have voted for the ammendment and then voted against the complete bill.

What I do see happening is the GOP trying to extort repeal of the mandate for consideration of the debt ceiling increase. They're that fucking stoopid

It's worked for them in the past, so it's more Machiavellian than stupid. Independents haven't punished them where it counts: the ballot box.

RPGCrazied

Robert Costa‏Verified account @costareports 2h2 hours ago

Robert Costa Retweeted
A McConnell ally pings me and says the Maj. Leader *can't stand* this kind of process advice from down the street.

Talking about nuking the legislative filibuster.

Oh gee, here is a thought. Say that to him personally? What a wimp.

theWB27

If McCain really wanted to screw with McConnell, he would have voted for the ammendment and then voted against the complete bill.

It's worked for them in the past, so it's more Machiavellian than stupid. Independents haven't punished them where it counts: the ballot box.

Im sure the reason mccain did this is because there was a good chance Paul Ryan would've made the skinny repeal law.

True, never overestimate the attention span of the average American voter, but there are 24 votes in the House and three in the Senate that need to get reelected in districts Clinton won.

Isn't there a final vote on the Senate Bill before it gets sent down to the House?
If there were no changes and the House just rubber stamped it, no. Would have went to Trump's desk because the Senate would have already approved that version of the bill.

Senators were willing to take themselves out of the process and trust Ryan not to do that. McCain, Collins, and Murkowsky thankfully didn't fall for that.

True, never overestimate the attention span of the average American voter, but there are 24 votes in the House and three in the Senate that need to get reelected in districts Clinton won.

They only need to hold the House and get a net gain of 1 Senator in 2018, assuming McCain wasn't covering for any Republicans that didn't want to be on the record voting against the ammendment.

Top Bottom