• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senate Republicans to make another attempt at Obamacare repeal

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Link.

Some congressional Republicans and President Donald Trump aren’t giving up on their effort to roll back the health care law and are trying to write legislation that could get 50 Republican votes, according to multiple administration and Capitol Hill sources.

Trump met with three Republican senators on Friday about a proposal from Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.). to block grant federal health care funding to the states and keep much of Obamacare’s tax regime. White House officials also met with House Freedom Caucus chairman Mark Meadows (R-N.C.), according to two sources familiar with the meeting.

Trump savaged Senate Republicans in a series of Saturday morning tweets as ineffective, blaming the arcane budget reconciliation rules that make it more difficult to fully repeal and replace Obamacare on party lines.

In theory, the Senate could bring back up their party line budget “reconciliation” effort to gut Obamacare as soon as next week. Graham’s bill has not been scored by the Congressional Budget Office and did not receive a test vote this week. It currently has a small group of supporters and will likely need major work to pass the Senate, like language defunding Planned Parenthood which would likely alienate a pair of moderate senators.

Sens. Bill Cassidy of Louisiana and Dean Heller of Nevada joined Graham at the White House on Friday, and each has joined Graham’s bill as the new alternative plan for Republicans. The bill’s supporters are telling administration officials and congressional aides that the bill will score far better than previous efforts, which CBO analyses project would cause millions more uninsured people and short-term spikes in premiums.

Sens. Susan Collins of Maine and Lisa Murkowski of Alaska would have to reverse course on opening debate on the bill for things to move forward in August without McCain. Republican senators are angry at Trump for calling Murkowski this week to rethink her opposition to the GOP’s effort, several Republican sources said.

The moderate Alaska senator told E&E News that the conversation on Tuesday with Trump was “not a very pleasant call.” Several Republicans said privately Trump’s heavy hand derailed any chance of getting Murkowski to support the “skinny” bill, which was meant as a way to send the GOP’s repeal efforts into conference with the House.

mMju5Bk.png

cN4OXzE.png

Seiniyta

I think this has a very low chance. I feel like the last one kind of broke the spirit of a lot of republicans and they want move on.

iavi

So every GOP senator is going to take turns throwing their brand of shit they rush draft up during their lunches to the wall hoping it'll be the brand that sticks...ok.

This is disasterous. Please proceed.

Wtf is Trump's obsession with repealing Obamacare. If you want it repealed so badly, fucking sell it. But you won't because you're a lazy piece of shit.

I honestly have not hated an individual as much as I do Trump. Didn't know I had it in me.

RPGCrazied

Keep failing. I don't think we can count on McCain again, but those 2 women senators will always be a no. They want to fix the ACA.

We just need one more senator damn it.

You can't get McCain, Murkowski and Collins so fuck off Cheeto.

When the fuck does the damn recess start already? Oh McCain is already gone so this ain't happening in August anyway.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Wtf is Trump's obsession with repealing Obamacare. If you want it repealed so badly, fucking sell it. But you won't because you're a lazy piece of shit.

I honestly have not hated an individual as much as I do Trump. Didn't know I had it in me.

A black man did something he couldn't.

JordanN

Banned
What will it take to get the Republican Party outlawed?

They're a political party hell bent on watching people die.

They are determined to get rid of the black presidents achievements. But in the future we'll be working to erase Trump short tenure as POTUS

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I thought they used up reconciliation with their previous vote?

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they have. The only way forward is to pass a bill that requires 60 votes. Which is why Trump is calling for Mitch to change the rules so that bills will only need 51 votes rather than 60.

Their brand is already shot to shit.

What's next?

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they have. The only way forward is to pass a bill that requires 60 votes. Which is why Trump is calling for Mitch to change the rules so that bills will only need 51 votes rather than 60.

If that's their plan, then go right ahead.

They'll regret it.

This is all too much day after day. What are the chances of Democrats winning a majority in the Senate in 2018? I can't take this anymore...

Socivol

The irony of a president that won because of an outdated rule (electoral college) talking about outdated rules ruining the country.

Yeah man, it sure does fucking suck when an extreme minority of the country controls a huge decision that unduly influences the lives of everyone. It's a good thing that only happens in the Senate and only when Republicans are trying to pass bills, otherwise we'd probably be in some real trouble, like an administration fucking no one with a brain wanted, a looming constitutional crisis, and the near-inevitability of a civil breakdown.

Berordn

This is all too much day after day. What are the chances of Democrats winning a majority in the Senate in 2018? I can't take this anymore...

As long as they keep this shit up, actually pretty okay. The repeal attempts aren't popular with anyone but Trump's loyal following at this point.

But the Senate Republicans are catching on to that, so they might finally be giving up?

SomTervo

He is your origin of hysteria

KingV

Pretty sure this won't pass the Byrd rule, considering all of the provisions of the last one that didn't.

Wilsongt

8 dems control the county...

That sounds like oddly familiar terminology...

The Trump admin is working with new space aged 31st century projectors.

Blader

It would take a miracle. The seats aren't there for the Democrats to take the senate

No, but if Democrats can take the House, maybe Senate Republicans would give up on ACA repeal -- for at least two years -- realizing that any effort on their part is a waste of time that won't get through a Dem-controlled House.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Why can't they just stop? This is asinine. It's wildly unpopular and clearly they can't reach a consensus on it. Just drop the issue and move onto something else instead of constantly trying to kill your constituents.

Top Bottom