• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senate Republicans to make another attempt at Obamacare repeal

Ms.Galaxy

Yeah, senate ain't looking good. Good news is we need 24 seats in the house and the DNC has claimed they're pouring efforts into roughly 6 dozen R seats they see as vulnerable, so here's hoping.

I fully believe we can take the house, It won't be easy, but it won't be too hard either. If they go forth with their plan for a populist 50 state message, we have a decent chance of getting House majority and that alone would be enough harm to Trump's agenda.

Steel

Banned
Yes but you're completely missing my point

Forget about the house for a minute

The Senate never voted on passing a bill. They voted on amending the bill. Once they agreed on the text they still have to pass the bill. They did not get that far

The bill they were amending was Obamacare, not a bill that isn't law. There would be no second vote.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Sure hope this cartoon continues proving true.
Soup_or_Sonic_screenshot.png

Matt

I fully believe we can take the house, It won't be easy, but it won't be too hard either. If they go forth with their plan for a populist 50 state message, we have a decent chance of getting House majority and that alone would be enough harm to Trump's agenda.
It will be incredibly difficult to take the House. If it happens it will be a great accomplishment.

The bill they were amending was Obamacare, not a bill that isn't law. There would be no second vote.

Nope. The bill they were amending was the House-passed health care bill, which was the bill that was put on the floor by the successful Motion to Proceed that McCain came back for. That amendment replaced the entirety of the House bill's text with the 8 page "skinny reform" bill. After the amendment passed, they would have proceeded to a vote on final passage.

CoWZ05t.gif

Boy, it's funny how the rules of Congress work completely differently when Republicans are in power, compared to Democrats, huh? Hypothetically, these differences seem critical. Hypo... critical. Hmmm.

I know this is just the orange turd impotently raging on Twitter, but if the Democrats even ATTEMPTED what he's suggesting, he and the entire Republican Party would start screeching until blood shot out of their eyes. (Sorry, "out of their... you know.")

Shoeless

Trump's tweets are just straight up propoganda and disinformation.
Fuck Twitter.

It's disheartening how "Truth, justice and the American way" have all become such hostile concepts for modern America. Nobody in authority is actually interested in truth or justice (unless it involves, "minorities are bad and must be dealt with maximum violence and no questions asked), and the American way is now rapidly approaching fascism.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I'm confused. They can't use reconciliation again on this thing because it already failed, right?

It didn't fail. An amendment to the bill which would replace all the text of the AHCA failed. They can try as many amendments that they want like that.

Before? I think he said it again right after it failed the other night. Something like "like I said all along, just let it collapse!"

Pretending like he can muster a single coherent/consistent belief in decades.

Yup, he said it at the police speech he gave.

McCain lit a fuse and walked away with his middle finger pointing back. Any vote now hinges on flipping Murkowski or Collins, and flipping them almost assuredly means losing R votes to pick up D ones instead.

Murkowski isn't going to flip on anything Trump wants considering how much he's shit on her lately. Collins is riding the medicaid train all the way home which harder Rs don't want.

It didn't fail. An amendment to the bill which would replace all the text of the AHCA failed. They can try as many amendments that they want like that.

No, the thing that fails now (and why everyone was celebrating) is that McCain is gone for 6 weeks at least and Collins/Murkowski aren't going to change without significantly bending to their will.

I thought they couldn't try again for this budget year.
Trump is trying to force the Senate to change the rules so they can simply pass any bill with a simple majority but he's too dumb to realize that it doesn't matter. This Senate knows this repeal is poison. None of their constituents are really asking for a repeal, most want the ACA fixed or a better Republican bill to replace it which is what Trump campaigned on (he has a very short term memory).

McLovin

The sad thing is if they manage to pass this bill they will go down in history as one of the biggest fuckups of this era. Like republican would be the leading cause of deaths in the us for years to come.

I'd only be worried about McCaskill and Donnelly, the way things are going.
Probably, I think McCaskill will survive in the end since she's getting lucky no one capable wants to challenge her in this environment.

Donnelly is the one who is the most danger between the two.

Considering that Carrier plant just up and started poofing after Pence and Trump lied through their teeth, it might not be so bad for Donnelly. That was Indiana, right?
I believe so, yes.

I feel like it's going to happen, we can only hope that it gets watered down as much as possible before it does.
They're almost (are) out of time. The Debt ceiling is coming up and that will be a whole huge battle. (If you think killing ACA is bad for economy, this will make that look like child's)

McCain is out six weeks because of Chemo and if he dies/resigns in the immediate future, Ducey will make sure that McCain's stand in will kill any nuking of ACA since he opposes it.

By then you get to November and then you have the holidays around the corner. By January, its election year and they will not pick it up to campaign on with.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
They have 2 weeks if they want keep fucking around with this, but after recess they have to refocus and drop health care agenda.

What the hell are they going to do with the budget? Are they just throwing this year's budget aside as a casualty for healthcare?

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I think his plan is to get everyone tired of voting against it so eventually they will vote for it

No the final vote they did with McCain saying no was amending the ACA to take out the mandate and some other stuff

The text of the amendment modified certain provisions of the Affordable Care Act, but the bill under consideration was AHCA, and the amendment replaced all the text of AHCA with the "skinny repeal" text that would amend ACA if implemented as law.

This requires 2 steps:
Step 1: Amend AHCA to remove the text and put the new text in place.
Step 2: Pass the bill that was once AHCA but is now "skinny repeal" into law.

The Senate couldn't just take the skinny repeal bill and consider it on its own, both because it involves revenue and it's a reconcilliation bill. They have to begin with a bill that came from the House, and then modify that bill to turn it into the new law they want to pass.

Top Bottom