• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senate too divided to keep up healthcare push - Senator Hatch

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-healthcare-hatch-idUSKBN1AG29J?il=0

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Senate Finance Committee Chairman Orrin Hatch said on Monday that senators for now are too divided to keep working on healthcare overhaul legislation and that he and other senior Republicans will take that message to the White House.

President Donald Trump has been urging lawmakers not to drop the matter, despite a series of failed votes last week. "There's just too much animosity and we're too divided on healthcare," Hatch said in an interview with Reuters.

He said he would prefer Congress not appropriate cost-sharing subsidies that help make Obamacare plans affordable but added, "I think we’re going to have to do that."

I love it. Trump is breaking his own party's back, and throwing all of them against each other. That's literally the only leadership model he knows.
One of the rare cases that chaos in the senate and house are actually better for this country.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
He said he would prefer Congress not appropriate cost-sharing subsidies that help make Obamacare plans affordable but added, "I think we’re going to have to do that."

"I think we are going to have to make people unable to afford their healthcare"

Kensation

l_dribbble.gif

"I think we are going to have to make people unable to afford their healthcare"

He's saying the exact opposite.

He's saying the government WILL have to contribute to the ACA to make the plan affordable.

He's saying what needs to happen is exactly what Trump DOESN'T want to happen - that the ACA is here to stay and that the government will have to provide subsidies to make plans affordable.

Hatch is saying he won't "let Obamacare fail" and he's going to tell that to the White House.

Meanwhile 19 of the 20 Ohio counties that were going to have no ACA insurers in 2018 are actually going to have insurers thanks to the efforts of state insurance commissioners.

Hatch's (and the Senate leadership's) message is also a rebuke to the administration directly for giving less-than-zero direction on what they want out of the legislation. That's the other meaning of "too divided" - because there is no central planning of the repeal and replace effort.

Meanwhile 19 of the 20 Ohio counties that were going to have no ACA insurers in 2018 are actually going to have insurers thanks to the efforts of state insurance commissioners.

If the ACA survives all the shit that the Republicans have pulled and continue to pull, I'd be quite surprised. If we're incredibly lucky, it'll stick around in fighting shape for 2020, when hopefully Democrats will have more pull in Congress and control of the Executive office... at which point they can work on improving the ACA.

I like to dream, so sue me.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
If the ACA survives all the shit that the Republicans have pulled and continue to pull, I'd be quite surprised. If we're incredibly lucky, it'll stick around in fighting shape for 2020, when hopefully Democrats will have more pull in Congress and control of the Executive office... at which point they can work on improving the ACA.

I like to dream, so sue me.

If the ACA doesn't survive, then public option or single payer is obviously next. Republicans have already proven there's no other path forward here.

I'm not worried about the left's political foothold on healthcare policy for 2020 and later, I'm just worried about what healthcare will be like while we're getting there.

What can he even do to healthcare via executive order?

He could block cost-sharing subsidies to insurers.

But if he does that, the Healthcare market will go fucking nuts because HC companies will have to decide if they want to force people to pay full price for services or eat the cost themsleves.

A total Lose-Lose situation that bankrupts either people or the HC companies.

He could block cost-sharing subsidies to insurers.

But if he does that, the Healthcare market will go fucking nuts because HC companies will have to decide if they want to force people to pay full price for services or eat the cost themsleves.

A total Lose-Lose situation that bankrupts either people or the HC companies.

I have a feeling this would end up in court instantly.

It would have to because an EO takes effect immediately and I don't know if the ACA subsidy payment has been guaranteed yet for August. July was paid off, but tomorrow is August 1....

He would have to be completely evil to do this like this. He's a madman to even flirt with this idea.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Insurance companies can sue for it and probably win, but having to go through the legal process to get that money is often enough to make insurance companies say screw it. They can't operate on a loss for a year on hopes that at some point your lawyers will finally get you that money even if the case is 100% certain to be a win.

Considering insurers are already struggling to keep plans up in every state, that'd be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Tovarisc

Reuters: Trump studying executive action on healthcare, senator Rand Paul says

U.S. Senator Rand Paul said he spoke to President Donald Trump by phone about healthcare reform on Monday and told the president he thought Trump had the authority to create associations that would allow organizations to offer group health insurance plans.

Paul, a Republican, told reporters that Trump was considering taking some form of executive action to address problems with the healthcare system after the Senate failed last week to pass a measure to reform the system.

Allowing groups like AARP, which represents retirees, to form health associations could enable individuals and small businesses to form larger groups to negotiate with health insurance companies for lower rates.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-healthcare-hatch-idUSKBN1AG29J

Not surprised if Trump goes for it as he seems to be consumed by failed health care votes.

Mookee

It’s in court.

A federal judge ruled the subsidies unconstitutional under Obama because the funds aren’t appropriated by congre$$, BUT did not enforce the ruling and it’s currently pending appeal.

What Trump can do is drop the appeal and not pay the subsidies which would cause a complete clusterfuck. What Hatch recognizes is that they’ll have to make it constitutional by appropriating the money properly which I think would render the lawsuit m00t.

Has there ever been another equivalent time in US politics where a ruling party has been so goddamn incompetent?

They have control of all 3 branches and the ineptitude in governing is insane.

I mean reconstruction comes to mind, but fuck.

Beartruck

Has there ever been another equivalent time in US politics where a ruling party has been so goddamn incompetent?

Funny you mention reconstruction, as some historians think we're in the 3rd reconstruction right now (each one being respectively black freedom, black civil rights, and black president, with "whitelash" reconstruction after).

chekhonte

No, not at any point in American history that I'm familiar with. Both the republicans in congress and Trump have spent the last 8 years only learning how to shit on Democrats, particularly Obama. Now that their in power they're still trying to use that tactic and are incapable of rallying for the support of something. The Republican party is fragmented between too many groups with agenda disparate enough as prevent them from crafting a piece of legislation that they all can agree on. They were filled with such arrogance that they didn't even pretend like they wanted any Democrat's help and placed themselves in a position that they could only afford to lose 3 votes. I'd be willing to bet that they think they can craft and pass a budget with out the democrat's help also which is also going to be a disaster. Trump doesn't want to move on to the budget until frees up the funds by gutting the ACA to make room for both tax cuts and the only popular plan he has which is the 1 trillion dollar infrastructure program. He thinks it's his only way of increasing his approval rating.

Shadybiz

I don't get the play because then he is forcing it to fail and that rests on him and his party

Correct. He said before that if Obamacare implodes, he's not going to "own it." Well, Don....if you cripple it via an executive order stopping subsidies, then yes...yes you definitely do "own it," you stupid fuck.
And he would have "owned" it anyway, because his party controls all branches of government....goddamn idiot.

VariantX

Correct. He said before that if Obamacare implodes, he's not going to "own it." Well, Don....if you cripple it via an executive order stopping subsidies, then yes...yes you definitely do "own it," you stupid fuck.

What baby-fingers Donny doesn't get is once you're in that seat, you own it because you're captain of the vessel. You don't get to step aside and point fingers because you can't have your way. Same shit Obama had to deal with the aftermath of the invasions in both Iraq and Afghanistan as well as both the financial and healthcare crisis . Bitch-made moves like trying to be a backseat driver while you got the steering wheel in your hands ain't gonna fly with the American people, even those who vote R.

old

Won't stop Trump. He will keep pushing. He needs the overhaul for his upcoming tax reform (huge tax cuts for the wealthy).

Top Bottom