• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senate won't vote on House Trumpcare bill, will instead draft a whole new bill

It's incredible that one party controls everything, and they can't get a damn thing done without it turning into a clown car. And somehow we are still talking about government shutdowns, too.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
At last, a victory for Trump

victoly_stamp_by_mugourth.png

Jeffrey

House conservatives are already threatening the Senate lol.

The key battle will be over medicaid. Some powerful gop senators will get screwed the most if that gets defunded.

Boke1879

Doesn't the senate have like only a few weeks to do this in time for tax reform. Then it has to go back to house. ETC

Senate won't even vote on this until the CBO scores it. That's going to be next week.

Congress goes on recess next week I believe. Constituents are going to be at those town halls. The bill itself is unpopular as hell.

Senate won't even vote on this until the CBO scores it. That's going to be next week.

Congress goes on recess next week I believe. Constituents are going to be at those town halls. The bill itself is unpopular as hell.

Im just so confused on why they are so damn happy. Either they know something we don't or they are just trying to seem like they did something.

sure, but either way still means another house vote, and what the senate and the house republicans want is very different. And both of these assume they plan to nuke the democrat's filibuster, which is a huge assumption in and of itself

they don't need to nuke the filibuster. Reconciliation allows it to pass with cloture vote.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Im just so confused on why they are so damn happy. Either they know something we don't or they are just trying to seem like they did something.

They know their base is too dumb to see past the fact that the House finally voted and passed a repeal of Obamacare. Doesn't matter if it goes nowhere in the long run, they followed through on their campaign promise!

oti

Banned
It's not that complicated on the surface. Anything that is to become law must be approved by both chambers.

So if the Senate just makes a new bill, it then goes to the House. If approved, it'll go to the presidents desk to become law.

This isn't over. Senate will look to try to pass a bill with simple majority. The House then will actually have the ability to actually make something law.

Thanks for the info.

So the Senate can just go nah and not even consider it at all? What was the point of today's events then?

How's the Senate in all of this? Can Trump bully them like the others? Or are the Republicans on there more independent?

Measley

Just listened to some radio show, and a guy was saying he was happy that Trump passed this bill because it meant that all "dem Somaleeze" would no longer be able to get medicaid.

Meanwhile, this guy talked about how him and his son (who has autism) are also on medicaid.

Yep.

Hindl

Thanks for the info.

So the Senate can just go nah and not even consider it at all? What was the point of today's events then?

How's the Senate in all of this? Can Trump bully them like the others? Or are the Republicans on there more independent?

Well once the Senate passes it, it then goes back to the House and they have to sign off on it. Or, if the Senate adds any changes, the House also has to pass that.

And the House has 435 members, each member represents their own district. Several of these districts are heavily gerrymandered (district lines are redrawn to group people into strategically advantageous areas) and cover a small portion of the state's overall population. They only have to answer to the people in their district, so if their constituents all want a repeal, they'll do it. This lets House members be more radical since they can appeal to a small audience

The Senate has only 100 members, 2 for each state. So each Senator has to answer to half of the entire state's population. This naturally leads them to be more moderate in their stance since there's a wider variety of people that they have to answer to

Afrodium

Banned

Not even getting an Obamacare repeal bill through the House after years of pledging to their constituents that it was priority one would be a colossal embarrassment. Now they can at least say they did their part.

Let's remember that this is what Republican establishment actually looks like.

Because that word disappeared after the election, but people need to be reminded that the GOP now is the establishment, the whole of it, on every level. And then can't even get basic shit done. GG voters.

(not that anyone actually wants them to even try to repeal or replace the ACA, but that's another thing. They ran that tune for eight years, now it should become their funeral theme)

As a Canadian, it's very entertaining to watch. Republicans were acting like backseat drivers the past 8 years talking about how much better they could run the country if they had all the branches of govt. Well, here we are.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Hahahaha. The more I pay attention to how government works, the more I just want to burn this motherfucker to the ground.

On the other hand this gap between the chambers may end up holding the line in the end, probably that is a feature and not a bug to boot.

KingV

House conservatives are already threatening the Senate lol.

The key battle will be over medicaid. Some powerful gop senators will get screwed the most if that gets defunded.

Then there is no bill. That's like the defining feature of the bill.

On the other hand this gap between the chambers may end up holding the line in the end, probably that is a feature and not a bug to boot.

I'm more worried about the threat of rules changes to further isolate the minority, but whatever. I guess we gotta get these little victories where we can.

cackhyena

So I don't get it. Why are they celebrating, knowing it would be DOA in the Senate? Surely they knew there were no plans to take it further, as this thread implies. If it's dead, what is there to gain?

Mrbob

So I don't get it. Why are they celebrating, knowing it would be DOA in the Senate? Surely they knew there were no plans to take it further, as this thread implies. If it's dead, what is there to gain?
Because they can go back to there constituents and say "We voted for Health care reform but the Senate shot it down". It's all a dumb game.

Kinsei

Banned

It's a way to keep their supporters placated. Dumb people will think that Trump did something good and anything you say to correct them will just be branded as fake news.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Doesn't the senate have like only a few weeks to do this in time for tax reform. Then it has to go back to house. ETC

House doesn't have to vote before the deadline, just senate. It's possible the senate takes up the 2018 budget directly after passing it just to trigger the deadline.

Then the fact that any amendment would outright kill the bill will probably do a lot to whip HFC in line.

Mrbob

But even there they have the numbers, don't they?
Don't they need 60 for the Senate without using the nuclear option. I don't think they would be dumb enough to go nuclear for the health care bill?

Even Lindsay Graham was questioning this vote today and he is crazy.

I feel like the longer they (GOP) take on this, the longer it says in the news cycle, the more fresh it will be in voter's minds in the midterms. Unless they genuinely get something together that improves on the ACA, they're just giving themselves ample ammo to shoot themselves in the foot.

They're designing it to get through with a 51-vote threshold.

They're not taking the L, they're building something that will clear both chambers, now that the House is done with their fantasy version. That should scare the hell out of everyone, not cause a celebration of L's.

You're absolutely right, however, the fact that the House passed this, and then were so fucking cocky that they were ordering beers and literally partying, only for barely what, two hours later? have the Senate come out and say "Actually, no, we're gonna go ahead and write our own version." is some kind of cosmic... something. I was so filled with despair and sadness and anger and hopelessness when I saw it passed the house and then I went back to OT and saw this thread title and literally almost started screaming. I still want to. I feel like I'm going insane from all of this but it's like the Senate didn't even wait for next week, they just walked into the room where the House was partying that their bill got passed and yanked the rug right out from under them sending them all flat on their asses.

It at least gives us hope again, since it's not the bill the House passed but a total rewrite, that it might, maybe, hopefully, won't be as totally fucked up despicable.

cackhyena

Don't they need 60 for the Senate without using the nuclear option. I don't think they would be dumb enough to go nuclear for the health care bill?

Even Lindsay Graham was questioning this vote today and he is crazy.

Alright. Well makes me nervous for whatever more "moderate" bill they vomit up in the future.

Top Bottom