• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senbatsu 2017 | Japan National High School Baseball Invitational Tournament (Koshien)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beckx

l8RYoei.png

It's time for Senbatsu!

Welcome to the NeoGAF discussion thread for Senbatsu 2017, the Japan National High School Invitational Baseball Championship (Spring Koshien).

The tournament starts at 8pm ET tonight and will be streamed live at MBS' Senbatsu site (http://mainichi.jp/koshien/senbatsu/live). The first game is at 9:30ET tonight.

The National High School Baseball Invitational Tournament of Japan (referred to in shorthand as ”Spring Koshien" because it takes place at Koshien Stadium) is an annual high school baseball tournament organized by the Japanese national high school baseball federation in partnership with Mainichi Shinbun. Unlike the Summer Koshien, where all the competitors are the winners of their respective regional tournaments, the Spring Invitational, as the name implies, is an invitational tournament. In practice, since the bulk of the invites go to winners of fall regionals, getting to Senbatsu is a lot like getting to Summer Koshien: just win. But unlike the summer tournament, there are a few additional ways to get an invite. The winner of the fall Meiji Jingu tournament gets an automatic invitation (and as a result, another team from the winner's regional tournament will get an invitation). Additionally, the federation will invite two more teams from the Kanto/Tokyo area and the Chugoku/Shikoku region. Finally, the federation extends invitations to so called ”21st Century Schools" - schools that historically are not necessarily competitive, but the federation wants to give a chance to see what the nationals are like. The 21st Century School program is intended to encourage the development of baseball programs around the nation at a time when the sport is dominated by a few select private schools.

The tournament was founded in 1924 and this year is the 89th tournament.

The Japanese baseball nationals are pretty much the hypest thing ever. It's a single elimination tourney consisting of second and third year players (it takes place right before the beginning of the new school year, so first year players do not join the team until after Senbatsu).

Every player on the field has been dreaming of getting to this stage and as a result the games are high drama with lots of emotion. Plus you're pretty much guaranteed to see players who will be drafted out of high school to play pro ball in Japan and eventually make it to the US (like current Yankee ace Masahiro Tanaka).

JzQLm4Wl.png

In the first few rounds, there are three games per day. You can see the full schedule here (start times are local Japan time).

You can watch all the games at MBS' Senbatsu site: http://mainichi.jp/koshien/senbatsu/live/

Mainichi Shinbun also has Senbatsu apps on the Google and iOS stores.

If you want to watch a full game replay, go to:

http://mainichi.jp/koshien/senbatsu/2017/schedule/

Then click the game you want and you'll be taken to a page with all the videos from the game. (Note: as of this morning (3/19) the full version of day 1 games was generating errors and not playing.)

rdnoxoDl.png

Your absolute best source for information about the tournament is @eigokokoyakyu on twitter + blog at https://eigokokoyakyu.wordpress.com/

Also, YakyuDB.com will have full schedules, results, and stats for the tournament. The broadcasts will be in Japanese, but it's not too hard to follow.

When you're looking at stats, some quick things you can look for:

打率 = batting average
打点 = RBI
本塁打 (likely abbreviated in stat lines as 本) = home run
防御率 = ERA
2年 or 3年 = second year or third year student

Some things you'll hear during the broadcasts:

”Sanshin" = strikeout
”Karaburi sanshin" = swinging strikeout
”Tsu base" = two base, e.g. double
”Haitaa!" = home run call, it's gone
”Douten runnaa" = tying runner on base
”Straighto" or ”massugu straighto" = fastball
”Kaabu" = curveball
”Forku" = forkball
”Slidaa" = slider

For position players the broadcasts tend to use equivalents to the US terms rather than the native Japanese, so I won't list those because it's pretty easy, like ”sentaa" is the Center Fielder and ”shorto" is the Shortstop.

if you want to participate on twitter, use the hashtags #高校野球 (high school baseball), #センバツ (Senbatsu) and #甲子園 (Koshien).

xCjjQkjl.png

There are three big powerhouses in the tournament - here are Eigokokoyakyu's summaries and power rankings (grades are pitching/hitting):

Riseisha

eigokokoyakyu said:
A-/B(+)

Takeda Yuu is in all likelihood the real deal. He may have not shut down completely the Waseda offense, but he certainly looked like a higher round draft pick (plus he won't have to pitch consecutive days). The offense should beat every average team out there, but with the offense being centered around a couple of players, it's possible a road bump could derail them.

Osaka Toin

eigokokoyakyu said:
B-/B-

Certainly not the best team Nishitani-kantoku has put out there, but should still be better than most teams. Pitching is not their forte and the offense isn't firing on all cylinders.

Waseda Jitsugyo

eigokokoyakyu said:
C-/A-

Waseda trying to be like Shuugakukan – 4 pitchers, but in their case none of which are good. In order for them to win the title they may have to survive high-scoring games because unlike the formula for most champions, the offense will have to fully carry the load.

Riseisha plays the second game of opening day! Also last year's champs, Chiben Gakuen, are back but I don't think anyone gives them any more of a chance that they did last year...

I don't have any favorites in the draw this year, other than my usual plan to root for the Hokkaido team (Sapporo Dai-ichi) for as far as they go. And, of course, I'm extremely excited to see what Kotaro Kiymiya does. You're going to hear the name Kiyomiya a LOT. He's a certified monster, with over 75 home runs in his career to date (I do not know the current record; my favorite batter (Sho Nakata of the Nippon Ham Fighters) set a record with 86 in the middle part of last decade, but I believe that was broken a year or three later). Waseda guys usually go directly from high school to Waseda University, but if Kiyomiya breaks the trend and goes pro, he will easily be the most desired player in the first round lottery. Guys like this do not come around a lot. There's no guarantee that Waseda can win through to Summer Koshien since their pitching is not so good, so this may be the last time he plays on the main high school stage.

C2O3rCd.png

Eigokokoyakyu has previews for the first round here: https://eigokokoyakyu.wordpress.com/2017/03/11/brackets-up-and-this-time-some-analysis/ and rankings and analysis here: https://eigokokoyakyu.wordpress.com/2017/02/01/89th-haru-koushien-grading-the-field/

YakyuDB has a list of players to watch here: http://yakyudb.com/2017/03/19/3182017-89th-spring-koshien-some-players-to-watch/

Enjoy the tournament everyone! First person to complain about bunting has to sit in the corner for the rest of the first round.

Beckx

強力打線対決!

The Nichidai-san (Sanko) v Riseisha game tonight should be in-sane, I cannot wait. (Game 2)

Beckx

Me too, i missed almost everything ladt summer.

Hmm. Right now i can get the opening ceremony on the app but not the website. Edit: working now. Well, sorta. As usual the app is way better.

Thanks for the comprehensive OT! Wanting to get more into Japanese baseball, including the high school side. I'm not too familiar with the tournaments, how is this one different from the summer Koshien tournament?

Monumma

welp, here I am after 2 hours of sleep. Hype.

Thanks for the comprehensive OT! Wanting to get more into Japanese baseball, including the high school side. I'm not too familiar with the tournaments, how is this one different from the summer Koshien tournament?

You are invited to this (march madness-like), you have to qualify to the summer. Also I think in the spring there there is one less round.

The National High School Baseball Invitational Tournament of Japan (referred to in shorthand as ”Spring Koshien" because it takes place at Koshien Stadium) is an annual high school baseball tournament organized by the Japanese national high school baseball federation in partnership with Mainichi Shinbun. Unlike the Summer Koshien, where all the competitors are the winners of their respective regional tournaments, the Spring Invitational, as the name implies, is an invitational tournament. In practice, since the bulk of the invites go to winners of fall regionals, getting to Senbatsu is a lot like getting to Summer Koshien: just win. But unlike the summer tournament, there are a few additional ways to get an invite. The winner of the fall Meiji Jingu tournament gets an automatic invitation (and as a result, another team from the winner's regional tournament will get an invitation). Additionally, the federation will invite two more teams from the Kanto/Tokyo area and the Chugoku/Shikoku region. Finally, the federation extends invitations to so called ”21st Century Schools" - schools that historically are not necessarily competitive, but the federation wants to give a chance to see what the nationals are like. The 21st Century School program is intended to encourage the development of baseball programs around the nation at a time when the sport is dominated by a few select private schools.

Beckx

The difference is in how the teams get there, once the tournament starts they are basically the same format (Spring is slightly less prestigious than Summer). (I actually have no idea whether there is one less round, I should probably look up the number of competitors, Summer should have a few more though so Monomuna has to be right)

The summer tournament is a pure play-in tournament. Prefectural tournaments start in the mid-summer and the winners go to Koshien, all the losers go home.

The spring tournament is an invitational, vaguely similar to the NCAA basketball tournament. Winners of the various regional tournaments in the fall can *generally* count on getting an invite. Plus an extra invite goes to the winner of the Meiji Jingu fall tournament, and three invites go to schools who would otherwise never see Koshien (to try to inspire the development of baseball programs at those schools). Since it's an invitational, there can be upsets on who gets chosen in the regions that get more than one invite (see eigokokoyakyu's discussion this year's selection for examples).

Feel free to ask any questions about high school baseball or Japanese baseball generally.

-------------------------------------

Also, in a LONG overdue development, female managers will be allowed on the Koshien field, ending a really dumb rule. Unfortunately there are still stringent rules about what they can do, but hey, progress. Since Japan has a women's professional baseball league, hopefully stuff like this will soon be a memory.

Monumma

Beckx I think the last link should be this: https://eigokokoyakyu.wordpress.com/2017/02/01/89th-haru-koushien-grading-the-field/ (it's where you took the quotes from).

The one you put links to last year grades.

Also, in a LONG overdue development, female managers will be allowed on the Koshien field, ending a really dumb rule. Unfortunately there are still stringent rules about what they can do, but hey, progress. Since Japan has a women's professional baseball league, hopefully stuff like this will soon be a memory.

Good.

You are invited to this (march madness-like), you have to qualify to the summer. Also I think in the spring there there is one less round.

The difference is in how the teams get there, once the tournament starts they are basically the same format (Spring is slightly less prestigious than Summer). (I actually have no idea whether there is one less round, I should probably look up the number of competitors, Summer should have a few more though so Monomuna has to be right)

The summer tournament is a pure play-in tournament. Prefectural tournaments start in the mid-summer and the winners go to Koshien, all the losers go home.

Thanks! And I usually also got the impression that summer was a bit heavier (as you said, more prestigious) than spring.

Monumma

Thanks! And I usually also got the impression that summer was a bit heavier (as you said, more prestigious) than spring.

It kinda is, being bigger and older (2018 will feature the 100th natsu koshien).

This tournament has 10 men squads, though. It'll always be fun to see a blowout at 5 in the morning. \s

The bracket is fixed unlike in the summer, right?

Beckx

Also the tournament in Ace of the Diamond 2nd

開幕戦!Opening game!

至学館=Shigakukan

呉=Kure

Beckx

According to Hochi Kokoyakyuu's preview mag, Shigakukan's center fielder, Fujiwara Rentarou, led the team in home runs.

Beckx

It finally stabilized for me, probably because everyone else gave up and switched to the app lol

Kure beat Hiroshima Shingyo, a school that I enjoyed watching in prior years, so go Shugakukan

Beckx

No one really notable on the Kure lineup but shortstop Nitta Shunki put up 14 triples so it's safe to assume he's fast, by his stats he's the best hitter on the team. Edit: lol yeah he's fast

No power to speak of in the Kure lineup.

Monumma

the stream seems to work fine, at a lower quality, on edge. For some reason it doesn't change quality on chrome/firefox and my connection can't handle it.

Come on let's squeeze this. YES.

edit: I was editing to point out Kamakura Hiroto's stance, but dafuq was that? the ball arrived on third when the runner wasn't even half the way there.

https://twitter.com/EigoKokoyakyu/status/843280284921421824
Shigakukan's school song sounds like an old 80's or 90's song or something like that.

It's 2017 and Amachan's theme is still in the rotation. Good stuff.

mdubs

Banned
Cool thread! I've wanted to become a little more informed about this (I blame Cross Game for this) so I'm glad I saw this

Beckx

Kure's going to take this game, I can feel it.

tbh it's hard to focus on this one with a finals quality barnburner on deck for the second game.

Monumma

Kure's going to take this game, I can feel it.

tbh it's hard to focus on this one with a finals quality barnburner on deck for the second game.

The greatest thing about the koshien is that 9 innings are 1h30min. we're halfway to the next game already.

2-1.

Monumma

How do you even hit a ball starting from a squat. Oh, wow! He did it!

I need to check this out.

Imagine if a pitcher was as dominant as Hiro in this tournament.

I was looking for pitching prospects before this game. I don't think we'll see a pitcher hit 150km/h this year. We will see some crazy stats though, pitcher are fresher than in the summer and the small sample size allow for good stuff. Lookout for the next game.

noone will ever be as good as Hiro

OH WOW 4-4

Sandfox

Kure isn't dead yet!

well, in the next game Takeda Yu will have a chance to show what he's got
Hiro was pitching no hittters all the way to the championship from what I remember and he did it multiple years. I don't know what the competition is like, but that probably won't be happening here.
How do you even hit a ball starting from a squat. Oh, wow! He did it!

I was looking for pitching prospects before this game. I don't think we'll see a pitcher hit 150km/h this year. We will see some crazy stats though, pitcher are fresher than in the summer and the small sample size allow for good stuff. Lookout for the next game.

noone will ever be as good as Hiro

OH WOW 4-4
I'll be sure to check it out.

Beckx

extras for the first game!

great game to start the tournament

i probably won't post much the rest of the night. will stay up for as much of the next game as I can though.

akileese

extras for the first game!

great game to start the tournament

i probably won't post much the rest of the night. will stay up for as much of the next game as I can though.

How long is the break between games? I was interested in seeing Takeda Yuu pitch, but it is 11pm central time.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
So whose best friend died before they can reach koshien and also struggle to keep his feels for this girl who's his childhood friend?

Monumma

How long is the break between games? I was interested in seeing Takeda Yuu pitch, but it is 11pm central time.

They usually start at the top of the half hour after the game ends if they can, the one after that if it's too close.

It's my fault, I wrote 1h30 before instead of 2h30 and now the koshien is getting its revenge. This game will not end. (there is a 15 inning rule btw)

Monumma

pitchout on a squeeze, the runner on third is too far, throw to third, the ball hit the runner and he goes home. 5-4. fbruiacnecaweiavnheraet,atactnaeiory,etat

edit: another squeeze for another run, 6-4. It feels like it's over, Shigakukan had 3 hits all game.

Game's over, 6-5 after 12, crazy last inning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom