• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senran Kagura: Estival Versus |OT| Summer Life in Your Hometown

Hesh

1) This game proudly flies under the NSFW banner.

Hmm, does this game have nudity? I always thought this series was about cleavage and panty shots. I guess if you want to split hairs that wouldn't be "safe for work" either, but usually when I think of "NSFW" in regards to video games I'm thinking like full-on nudity and/or sex or like Manhunt-levels of violent sadism.

Demoskinos

Hmm, does this game have nudity? I always thought this series was about cleavage and panty shots. I guess if you want to split hairs that wouldn't be "safe for work" either, but usually when I think of "NSFW" in regards to video games I'm thinking like full-on nudity and/or sex or like Manhunt-levels of violent sadism.

Technically yes. Although its censored. You can actually completely strip the girls naked but there are always beams of light covering their bits.

Pics_nao

Yumi is shit
The game is fun (still need to play it on PS4 and trophy aren't cross save)
The New Wave costume DLC is the best cosmetic dlc offered. Especially Leo's and Yuyaki's.

Ultimadrago

Is it really that big of a deal? I can't see games like this having that important of a story. I'm buying it on a whim and I'm definitely not expecting an incredible story here, but Dynasty Warriors-esque gameplay filled with anime fanservice.

Yeah, there's no way I'm going back to finish previous titles before playing the PS4 game.

Like No. Way.

I've watched the (bad) anime and have seen some profiles here and there. It'll have to do. I'd be impressed if the story's plot would be enough to daze me out of my chair though. Whenever, SV releases on Steam I may check it out then granted I enjoy EV.

Thoraxes

Yeah, there's no way I'm going back to finish previous titles before playing the PS4 game.

Like No. Way.

I've watched the (bad) anime and have seen some profiles here abd there. It'll have to do. I'd be impressed if the story's plot would be enough to daze me out of my chair though.

But did you watch the EV OVA?

ara ara~

L.O.R.D

Like No. Way.

I've watched the (bad) anime and have seen some profiles here abd there. It'll have to do. I'd be impressed if the story's plot would be enough to daze me out of my chair though. Whenever, SV releases on Steam I may check it out then granted I enjoy EV.
SK2 is very good game tho.
And it's running very will on 3ds at 60fps.

SerTapTap

English OT? Sure. Here's my review in progress AKA a big bulleted list of what I like/don't like, since XSEED rarely gives enough time to review properly.

If you're at all interested I highly recommend it. Fixes almost everything I didn't like in Shinovi.

I don't have framerate tests but I can't imagine that's true. Felt like a decent 30

Ultimadrago

English OT? Sure. Here's my review in progress AKA a big bulleted list of what I like/don't like, since XSEED rarely gives enough time to review properly.

If you're at all interested I highly recommend it. Fixes almost everything I didn't like in Shinovi.

Wow, your review almost makes me not want to get SV now. Lol. It does a good job selling me on the Estival experience though, thanks.

I also didn't know that there was an option to turn off clothing destruction. May make for a decent Stealth Mode around others (minus the Puru finishers) haha.

SerTapTap

I haven't beaten the game yet, but I'm kind of wondering how much damage Xseed did by giving such a short review period with an, IMO, pretty bad chapter 1 (and how much Tamsoft did by sticking the perv chapter so early on). From what I saw in Japanese it looks way better after chapter two, but
Chapter 1 just basically just Haruka being a nasty ass pervert and ruining everything for like 4 episodes
. I just beat chapter 2 last night and that chapter is a big part of why I'm reserving judgement and a formal review until I finish the story. I know there's more dramatic parts after the opening.

Wow, your review almost makes me not want to get SV now. Lol. It does a good job selling me on the Estival experience though, thanks.

I also didn't know that there was an option to turn off clothing destruction. May make for a decent Stealth Mode around others (minus the Puru finishers) haha.

It's the one "flaw" when a series improves this dramatically with each iteration...it's REALLY hard to go backwards. SV is still the best game at introducing the characters though.

But IMO, just read up on the characters on the Wiki and you're in pretty good shape. You need to know the characters more than the story, here. I think it does an okay job showing SOME character's personalities, but unlike SV it doesn't deliberately make the rounds through each and every character (however, SV's formulaic structure also got really old, so I like this story better)

And yeah, the clothing damage off is a really good idea, but it should really disable puru purus (A ko is a KO so gameplay-wise it doesn't matter other than unlocking the puru puru in the shop). Also the updates to the game added puru purus almost everywhere, and you don't even need to fully strip or use a Super to KO to activate them, so it's REALLY hard to avoid them.

jwk94

I haven't beaten the game yet, but I'm kind of wondering how much damage Xseed did by giving such a short review period with an, IMO, pretty bad chapter 1 (and how much Tamsoft did by sticking the perv chapter so early on). From what I saw in Japanese it looks way better after chapter two, but
Chapter 1 just basically just Haruka being a nasty ass pervert and ruining everything for like 4 episodes
. I just beat chapter 2 last night and that chapter is a big part of why I'm reserving judgement and a formal review until I finish the story. I know there's more dramatic parts after the opening.

It's the one "flaw" when a series improves this dramatically with each iteration...it's REALLY hard to go backwards. SV is still the best game at introducing the characters though.

But IMO, just read up on the characters on the Wiki and you're in pretty good shape. You need to know the characters more than the story, here. I think it does an okay job showing SOME character's personalities, but unlike SV it doesn't deliberately make the rounds through each and every character (however, SV's formulaic structure also got really old, so I like this story better)

And yeah, the clothing damage off is a really good idea, but it should really disable puru purus (A ko is a KO so gameplay-wise it doesn't matter other than unlocking the puru puru in the shop). Also the updates to the game added puru purus almost everywhere, and you don't even need to fully strip or use a Super to KO to activate them, so it's REALLY hard to avoid them.
Was working on my. Review on Friday and that first hour was brutal as hell. I almost went to sleep because of how boring it was.

Still undecided on what version to get, leaning PS4 because Vita performance issues and it takes up a lot of space. Depends how much the PS4 one is here in Canada.

SerTapTap

Was working on my. Review on Friday and that first hour was brutal as hell. I almost went to sleep because of how boring it was.

I thought the prologue was pretty good. But I almost started skipping dialog in the "summer sports" thing (and the entire reason I'm playing in english is for the story...). But
the festival sisters were getting pissed at the other shinobi for goofing off so I assume it's about to get serious

Still undecided on what version to get, leaning PS4 because Vita performance issues and it takes up a lot of space. Depends how much the PS4 one is here in Canada.

Strongly recommend PS4. The 1080p/60FPS and load times are a major improvement over Vita. DS4 is ideal to play with too, though you can use that on the PSTV. The characters actually look really damn good (aside from a stray lower res texture here and there, and slightly low polycount on the characters). The hair, eyes and specials in particular look great, and they went all out on the camera work so some specials look super good.

Kysen

Its not 60fps.

I have the JP PS4 version if anyone wants to try multi add me. PSN: kysen100
They added a ton of modes and I never got to try them before JP online went dead.

SerTapTap

I forget if I mentioned, but I recommend playing on Normal even in a first playthrough. Easy is a bit too easy.

Hard mode is improved from Shinovi, but enemies can be SO aggressive you can lose in seconds on some levels so it's hard to recommend at level 1

Oh yeah, online. My PSN's Barakku if anyone wants to add me, please say neogaf or Estival Versus in the invite message or something. I mostly want to try out that co-op defense mode.

How long is this game?

I have 91 hours in the Japanese version...but I idle a lot so you can assume anywhere up to half of that is idle lol. It's longer than SV though if you include side stories, and I don't know why you'd deliberately avoid them.

I have 91 hours in the Japanese version...but I idle a lot so you can assume anywhere up to half of that is idle lol. It's longer than SV though if you include side stories, and I don't know why you'd deliberately avoid them.

Hm, thanks. SK2 was too short from what I've heard so I skipped it.

Quick question, Estival Versus gets a full physical release in Europe unlike IFI games, right? Means I can just grab a copy in a local store later this week? :eek:

SerTapTap

Hm, thanks. SK2 was too short from what I've heard so I skipped it.

The Versus series is a bit different from the 3DS series. I'm actually not a fan of the 3DS series, though it certainly has it's fans. It's a more straightforward story thing, and I don't think it has the side stories? Which are like half the game in Versus.

Quick question, Estival Versus gets a full physical release in Europe unlike IFI games, right? Means I can just grab a copy in a local store later this week? :eek:

They treat EU way better than the US for the most part so yeah I think so. You even got SK1 physical in stores, we didn't get it physical at ALL

It should. BUT seeing as you're from Germany, the problem is that our release has apparently been delayed to the 24/25th, for reasons even Marvelous isn't able to explain to me.
See amazon for example http://www.amazon.de/dp/B01BOID73I/
They treat EU way better than the US for the most part so yeah I think so. You even got SK1 physical in stores, we didn't get it physical at ALL

That's a myth. EV will be the first game that will be normally sold in stores ever since the first one. SV didn't get a release at all and SK2 was exclusive to the Marvelous store and amazon.

The only thing EU has over NA is more expensive LE options. That's it.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Nice OT!

Mine's arriving tomorrow, that's what I get for waiting till the last minute to pre-order! T_T

Alright that's a bummer for US fans but I'm glad we get a full physical release here so I can just buy it at my local store :) IFI physical games are Amazon only here since a while so I always have to remember ordering them early enough.

SerTapTap

Oh right, since the cards the LE gets are random, I might need to trade someone if I don't get a Ryouna or Yozakura card in mine. I don't like the random card idea, I want the whole thing when I buy something.

Alright that's a bummer for US fans but I'm glad we get a full physical release here so I can just buy it at my local store :) IFI physical games are Amazon only here since a while so I always have to remember ordering them early enough.
I think EV is amazon only in the US. Which I don't mind at all personally, I wish more games would get amazon-only releases instead of digital only at least. Especially with 20% off all new releases

I think EV is amazon only in the US. Which I don't mind at all personally, I wish more games would get amazon-only releases instead of digital only at least. Especially with 20% off all new releases

Point taken yeah, Amazon-only is still better than digital-only I agree and the 20% off sweetens the deal :/

It should. BUT seeing as you're from Germany, the problem is that our release has apparently been delayed to the 24/25th, for reasons even Marvelous isn't able to explain to me.
See amazon for example http://www.amazon.de/dp/B01BOID73I/

Hmm alright that's odd since the 24th would be a Thursday o.o I wonder if this is only a Amazon specific delay or impacts retail stores aswell.

EDIT: Okay something is definitely up in Germany, GameStop, Media Markt and Saturn (the two biggest German retailers that carry games) don't have Estival Versus in their system yet and Spielegrotte.de also lists it for the 24th, what is happening here? D:

Hmm alright that's odd since the 24th would be a Thursday o.o I wonder if this is only a Amazon specific delay or impacts retail stores aswell.

No I've seen other stores list the same date. Some say 25th but it's definitely delayed for a week. MM or Saturn don't have it on their site yet but I think they should have it as well by then.
EDIT: Okay something is definitely up in Germany, GameStop, Media Markt and Saturn (the two biggest German retailers that carry games) don't have Estival Versus in their system yet and Spielegrotte.de also lists it for the 24th, what is happening here? D:

The game is co-published by Pqube and their distributor in Germany is Flashpoint AG. This isn't the first pqube game that had Germany-specific delays (EDF 4.1 released a MONTH late, most other games a week late), so there are definitely some problems in how they release their games here. I think EV will pop up in MM and Saturn in the next few days though.
Marvelous was only able to tell me "they're looking into it"
Yeah if you see my edit above I noticed the same thing, very odd. So they will likely delay it on PSN too for a week. I wonder what happened.
No PSN shouldn't be affected. That problem only affects German retail copies.

No I've seen other stores list the same date. Some say 25th but it's definitely delayed for a week. MM or Saturn don't have it on their site yet but I think they should have it as well by then.

Yeah if you see my edit above I noticed the same thing, very odd. So they will likely delay it on PSN too for a week. I wonder what happened.

Demoskinos

Haruka is great! You cray.

Do the characters play significantly different from each other? That was my main beef with Shinovi Versus, there were only minor differences in the gameplay from character to character.

The game is co-published by Pqube and their distributor in Germany is Flashpoint AG. This isn't the first pqube game that had Germany-specific delays (EDF 4.1 released a MONTH late, most other games a week late), so there are definitely some problems in how they release their games here. I think EV will pop up in MM and Saturn in the next few days though.
Marvelous was only able to tell me "they're looking into it"

No PSN shouldn't be affected. That problem only affects German retail copies.

Ah okay thanks for all the info, I won't go digital either way and I'm happy we still get these games physical, a week later is not much to complain about. I just hope PQube doesn't drift off in a month of delay then for future releases, I had no idea about EDF 4.1.

Do the characters play significantly different from each other? That was my main beef with Shinovi Versus, there were only minor differences in the gameplay from character to character.

Responding to myself here, since I just looked at TapTap's review/bullet points:

-Characters feel a lot more unique; some characters are now slower but punchier. For instance Yomi is pretty slow but does good damage and most of her attacks can be charged.
-All of the new characters are really fun to play. No one feels unnecessary, which is pretty amazing in a game with over 25 characters.

Nice.

Both Bestbuy (which also has 20% off) and Gamestop also have the game here as well for both systems.

Top Bottom