• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senran Kagura: Estival Versus |OT| Summer Life in Your Hometown

pariah164

nJnAY96.png

All text courtesy of Vylash unless otherwise noted. Character images, OT header, and banners made by pariah164.

O2Uwqsz.jpg

1) This game proudly flies under the NSFW banner.

2) This game contains information relevant to Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus, so come in expecting spoilers for it all over the place.

pvjJqQi.jpg

Developer: Tamsoft
Publisher: Marvelous (JP); XSEED Games (NA); Marvelous AQL Europe (PAL)
Genre: Action
Rating: M for Mature; PEGI 16

Release Dates:

- March 26, 2015 (JP)
- March 15, 2016 (NA)
- March 18, 2016 (EU)

Platform: PS4, PS Vita

Price:

- Digital: $39.99 (Vita) $49.99 (PS4)
- Physical: $49.99 (Vita) $59.99 (PS4)

Limited Edition:

- "Endless Summer" Limited Edition (NA Exclusive, $59.99/$49.99)
-- A copy of the game
-- 108 page art book
-- Randomly chosen set of 2.5 x 3.5 pin-up cards girls from the 4 schools
-- 2-disc soundtrack

- "Kagura Millenium Festival" Limited Edition (EU only, £54.99/£44.99)
-- A copy of the game
-- Reversible limited edition box
-- Two-CD soundtrack
-- Art book

- "Bahonkas" Limited Edition (EU only, £84.99/£74.99)
-- A copy of the game
-- Two-CD soundtrack
-- Art book
-- Supersized, double-sided Dakimakura

- Surprise Shinobi Slippery Splash-n-Spray Sports" Limited Edition (£119.99/£109.99)
-- A copy of the game
-- Two-CD soundtrack
-- Art book
-- Supersized, double-sided Dakimakura hugging pillowcase
-- Two different sets of five Senran Kagura figurines (Gessen and New Hebijo)

2AV0qEO.jpg

The flame that burns twice as bright burns half as long, and so it is with the lives of young shinobi. Death comes swiftly — for the lucky ones — and for those still living, grief is a constant companion. Ryōbi and Ryōna, two shinobi sisters of the Hebijo Clandestine Girls' Academy elite, know that truth all too well, and they mourn their beloved elder sister every day.

But when a mystical phenomenon appears, drawing the shinobi world's finest young ladies into a parallel dimension, everything they know about life and death turns upside down. Taken to a strange world resembling a warm summer island, the girls find themselves face to face with their departed loved ones.

The island's mysterious mistresses challenge the girls, who hail from four different rival schools, to a contest of strength and wits. The winning school, so they promise, will not only learn the highest secrets of shinobi lore, but will also have the honor of laying their loved ones' souls to rest.

The buxom beauties prepare for a new kind of battle, facing not only their rivals, but questions galore. Can the island's hosts be trusted? Will the other schools play fair, team up, or cheat? Will there be time to enjoy the beach before the fighting starts? Will anyone manage to keep their clothes intact? And if they do win, can they bear to part from their loved ones a second time?

LxB9CMM.jpg

ISD5inZ.jpg

AoI7Mvo.jpg

rsrFIc2.jpg

xHtE1ae.jpg

z6LxaFw.jpg

Wg1fD2e.jpg

Main Menu

Gone are the days of the hub worlds in Shinovi Versus, Estival Versus features one single storyline instead of multiple storylines divided by school, but fear not, because every shinobi still gets her time in the sun. The main menu gives you access to story mode, the dressing room, online play, and more.

Adventure Scenes

This is how the main crux of the story is told, through visual novel style presentation.

Action Scenes

The meat of the game, action scenes are fully 3D, requiring the player to chain combos, dodge attacks, and unleash special moves to tear through mobs of enemies.

EV has 3 modes of combat:

YIN

This is the mode used when the girls go Frantic, AKA strip down to their bikinis and go all out on their opponents. They have a very low defense, but an insanely high attack as a tradeoff. When Yin mode is fully maxed out, you gain access to a bevy of bonuses, including increased combo length and a longer combo timer, the ability to recover both your Health gauge and Ninja Art gauge by taunting, Yin moves, higher damage, more invincibility frames on your dash and an overall boost in attack power. Additionally, your Limit Break will only consume 5% of your health instead of 10%.

YANG

Yang mode is all about using Shinobi Transformations and Secret Ninja Arts. Maxing out your Yang affinity gives you access to longer combos, Yang moves, an extra Aerial Rave loop, enhanced damage and invincibility on your dash and auto recovery on your Health gauge and Ninja Art gauge. Making you an even tougher target to take down, you will no longer be stunned from being hit.

FLASH

Ironically, Flash mode is, well, not about the flash. You fight as you are in your school uniform, no bikinis or Shinobi Transformations needed. Fully unlocking Flash mode grants you higher damage and invincibility on your dash, faster building of your Ninja Art gauge, infinite Aerial Raves, increased timing to pull off a parry, an enhanced guard and an impressive 1.5x increase to both your attack and defense. If all of that wasn’t enough, maxed out Flash mode gives you increased experience and zeni.

kWEMicl.jpg

Estival Versus has 3 different multiplayer modes:

Point Battle: This is the most straightforward of the 3, land hits on opposing players and CPUs in order to rack up points. You can cet a certain point number and the first player to reach it wins, or make it a timed battle and whoever has the most points at the end is the winner.

Panty Collection: Collect panties as they fall from the sky, attacking enemies causes them to dtop panties that they've collected, victory condisions work in the same way as Point Battle.

Bra Capture: Capture the flag with a new twist! Defeating enemies will increase the number of bras that are attatched to the flag, this serves to strengthen the player in possession of it. Winner is decided by whoever holds the flag at the end.

Ryf704C.jpg

Videos

Hanzo Trailer
Gessen Trailer
Hebijo Trailer
Homura's Crimson Squad Trailer
Overseers of the Festival Trailer
Launch Trailer

Screenshots

cMOi2bb.jpg

God is a Geek - 8.0
PushSquare - 6/10

5drP4n4.jpg

Week of March 15th, 2014
PS4 Free DLC Set
Vita Free DLC Set
The above sets include:
- Bus-Tee (Outfit) - (PS4) (Vita) - FREE
- Famitsu Swimsuit (Outfit) - (PS4) (Vita) - FREE
- Famitsu T-Shirt (Outfit) - (PS4) (Vita) - FREE
- Shinobi Happi (Outfit) - (PS4) (Vita) - FREE

Week of March 22nd, 2016
Week 1 Mega Bundle (PS4) (Vita) - $19.99
The above sets include:
- Accessory Set 1 - (PS4) (Vita) - $5.99
- Antennae Strand - (PS4) (Vita) - $0.99
- Battle Axe - (PS4) (Vita) - $0.99
- Cheerleader Set - (PS4) (Vita) - $2.49
- Costume Set 1 - (PS4) (Vita) - $9.99
- Cropped Bangs - (PS4) (Vita) - $0.99
- Double Buns - (PS4) (Vita) - $0.99
- Double Buns XT - (PS4) (Vita) - $0.99
- Double Knot XT - (PS4) (Vita) - $0.99
- Hair Extension Set - (PS4) (Vita) - $5.99
- Hairstyle Set - (PS4) (Vita) - $3.99
- Headdress - (PS4) (Vita) - $0.99
- Heart Strand - (PS4) (Vita) - $0.99
- Loose Perm - (PS4) (Vita) - $0.99
- Nostalgic Strand - (PS4) (Vita) - $0.99
- Nun Set - (PS4) (Vita) - $2.49
- Nurse Set - (PS4) (Vita) - $2.49
- Parted Bangs - (PS4) (Vita) - $0.99
- Petite Devil Set - (PS4) (Vita) - $2.49
- Pigtails XT - (PS4) (Vita) - $0.99
- Ponytail XT - (PS4) (Vita) - $0.99
- Rain Cloud - (PS4) (Vita) - $0.99
- Regular Strand - (PS4) (Vita) - $0.99
- Side Knot XT - (PS4) (Vita) - $0.99
- Top Knot - (PS4) (Vita) - $0.99
- Top Knot XT - (PS4) (Vita) - $0.99

Week of March 29th, 2016
Click here for the list.

Week of April 5th, 2016
Click here for the list.

2Pbw1Kb.jpg

Q: What are the differences between the PS4 and Vita versions?

A: Other than the PS4 version looking better, the PS4 version supports up to 10 players in multiplayer mode, while the Vita version can only handle 4, a very small number of missions are exclusive to the PS4 version because of this.

Q: Does this have cross platform play?

A: Sadly no, but it does have cross region play, so if you've got the PS4 version you can play with PS4 owners in Japan or anywhere else.

Q: Are we getting the Ikkitousen DLC?

A: No, licensing is a bitch. Yes, as of March 17, 2017!

Q: Do I need to play the other Senran Kagura games before this?

A: Yes, if you don't play Burst you don't have context about how the characters formed the relationships that they have, and what happened when the Crimson Squad left Hebijo, if you don't play Shinovi Versus you'll be lost about a lot of things since Estival continues a few storylines from it.

Q: I need more Life and Hometown! What do?

A: Join fellow fans at the Senran Kagura Community OT. It's a great community full of people who love the franchise.

Q: Best Girl?

Vylash's Answer: pariah164 wrote the Shinovi Versus OT and said Hikage, but this is my world now, it's a new day, and there's only one right answer.

NauticalOpenIsabellineshrike.gif

Bow down to the queen.

pariah164's Answer: Unlike Vylash, I know there is only one girl who deserves everyone's undying loyalty. It may be Vylash's world, but I did half the work, and I get a say, dammit.

djhh1dq.gif

Frenzy Hikage is best Hikage.

#TeamLife

Chesskid1

Banned
reading the FAQ, didn't realize the first one was so crucial to play. could of sworn someone told me it was fine to skip. oh well, it's already preordered and on the way, ready to try this series out.

So I looked up the ESRB rating...

By inflicting damage, players can cause human opponents' clothing to rip apart, revealing lingerie/underwear or partially nude bodies—breasts/buttocks obscured by bright lights and orbs. In one mini-game, players can repeatedly tap on a female character's body to remove her clothing. Some gallery images depict female characters with exposed buttocks; pictures sometimes depict characters groping at breasts. The dialogue also references suggestive/sexual material (e.g., “Please, kindly, may I grope your boobs?” and “Y-you're rubbing it all. . .Ahh?! Auh!”)

And some of the girls in this game are as young as 15?

Uh......

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
As with SV, I'll do my best to link to all of the DLC when it's released. I hope to get my PS4 copy today or tomorrow from Amazon.

Now to see how many people will be trading cards from the retail version.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Man, those Euro LEs are nice. Kinda wish we got them here although I wouldn't be able to afford them anyways.

I'm happy with what we got in NA though for regular price.

pariah164

A small error in your F.A.Q., Crimson Squad left Hebijō, not Gessen.
Fixed, thanks. Will noogie Vylash for that next time we talk.

As with SV, I'll do my best to link to all of the DLC when it's released. I hope to get my PS4 copy today or tomorrow from Amazon.

Now to see how many people will be trading cards from the retail version.
You're a gentleman and a scholar, Zonic. Thanks for your contribution.

antitrop

Is Yin so OP in this one that every round is over in 10 seconds, like it is in SV? The lowered defense was hardly a tradeoff, when everything dies as fast as it can spawn in.

SV was too easy in general, even if you held back from using Yin. It was just a bit grindy for the Plat. Hope this one is a bit more of a challenge.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Might be worth mentioning we're still getting Ayane from DoA as DLC.

I should actually see if we can get Xseed to confirm if the EU DLC schedule is the same for the US.

Shun

It always amaze me that they were able to get iDOLM@STER voice actresses and other bigger voices to be in this game...

Amiibro

I'm so hyped to play this game in HD on PS4 and getting 60fps this looks beautiful. I'm way behind on the series though I'm rushing through Burst now, would be be fine to skip DC and SV and jump strait into this game or will I get massive spoilers?

On another note does the Anime or Manga spoil the first 3DS game or any others? I have acess to both of them but want to finish the game first.

Happy Senran Kagura day everyone! Innit for the #TeamLife

As a self described progressive and feminist, I really wish I didn't like these games as much as I do. Or that they'd at least whack everyone's ages up to at least 18 in the west instead of making it ambiguous. Bloody Japanese obsession with schoolgirls making me feel skeezy even when they're making characters that look like they should be in their 20's.

But ah well! Bring on the surprisingly good stories and well written characters, and openly self indulgent pervyness! Also boobs.

#TeamLife

Tapejara

So, quick question for those that have played Shinovi Versus and Estival Versus! I tried SV and the gameplay wasn't for me - jumping feeling very floaty was my main complaint - have they tightened it up a bit?

KyleCross

Q: Do I need to play the other Senran Kagura games before this?

A: Yes, if you don't play Burst you don't have context about how the characters formed the relationships that they have, and what happened when the Crimson Squad left Hebijo, if you don't play Shinovi Versus you'll be lost about a lot of things since Estival continues a few storylines from it.
Is it really that big of a deal? I can't see games like this having that important of a story. I'm buying it on a whim and I'm definitely not expecting an incredible story here, but Dynasty Warriors-esque gameplay filled with anime fanservice.

Is it really that big of a deal? I can't see games like this having that important of a story. I'm buying it on a whim and I'm definitely not expecting an incredible story here, but Dynasty Warriors-esque gameplay filled with anime fanservice.

I don't think it's THAT big of a deal, but the individual character backgrounds and stories are definitely a big part of the appeal. It's more interesting than you may think at first. I wouldn't let that stop me from jumping into the series with EV though.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
My friend who was looking to buy SK2 on 3DS was actually wondering about the story as well.

Basically, the 3DS ones are the "main" story while the Versus ones on Vita/PS4 are more among the lines of "side" stories. It does help a little bit playing the previous games to have a better understanding of each character, but not really required, especially considering this has character-exclusive missions for everyone.

If you're just after some mindless fun, over the top Beat 'em Up style gameplay, and something to have a letch over, you'll be fine jumping straight in, but these games genuinely have put effort into their stories and characters, far beyond the usual lip service to connect the images they know people will be wanking over most games like this put out. There's consistent motivations, character depth, and genuine attempts to tackle some pretty heavy philosophical ideas and existential quandaries.

Also, the occasional Lovecraftian, eldritch horror to deal with.

But all that is buried under a really thick layer of tits and arses. So, so deliciously thick...

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
SK: Estivus For The Rest of US.

Maybe it's info about the US release? Weird we'd finally get the latest game for him to tease new info about another.

.........or maybe Bon Appetit is getting a sequel.

Given the PSVR stuff later today, if they really are making a VR title, I'm going to have such a hard time convincing my fiancée I'm not buying a headset just for it.

I can absolutely see Takaki being a guy who will try something with VR

Not sure if it would work with the existing games though. Maybe a Bon Appetit sequel or another spinoff

edit: lol Zonic with the same idea

Seriously Bon Appetit has some great "content". It would be amazing in VR

Eolz

Not bad of an OT given how it had to be made.
Thank god we didn't get a Yumi reference this time in the title ;)

Can't wait to get my european edition now...

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I can absolutely see Takaki being a guy who will try something with VR

Not sure if it would work with the existing games though. Maybe a Bon Appetit sequel or another spinoff

edit: lol Zonic with the same idea

Seriously Bon Appetit has some great "content". It would be amazing in VR
IT'S FINALLY HAPPENING???

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Looks like I'm getting my copy tomorrow. Least I'm getting it a day earlier after talking to Amazon about the game not having release date delivery.

Top Bottom