• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senua's Saga: Hellblade II

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
In case you missed it, this has so far been my absolute highlight of this The Game Awards. A sequel to one of my favorite games this generation, and one of my favorite examples of storytelling in gaming, Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice. Definitely fuckin excited for this one.

The first game released on PC, PS4, XONE, and Switch. This sequel will presumably only release on PC and XSEX.
(The Xbox Series X, if you're just hearing)

edit: PC & XSEX-only confirmed

DigitalFoundry's take, with some skepticism as to the real-time nature

Last edited:
Nice graphics, but her chanting looked cringy.

I totally forgot the ending of the first game ... does it lend itself to.a sequel?

Anyway, much better first game-reveal than that lame PS5-game.

Symbol on the flaming effigy looks similar to the Algiz rune:
NU6bewu.png

Symbol on the city/her face/shields looks like the Helm of Awe:
p9lrUOh.png

Keep in mind Senua is a Celtic Goddess, in a Norse land in the original Hellblade.

I love mythology. Been reading a lot of Norse/Celtic mythology lately. I'm not perfect on it, but I do enjoy it greatly.

I.e.
Senua (Senuna) - an older Brythonic goddess of sacred springs

Also the city in the trailer looks like Edoras and the Golden Hall from Lord of the Rings. For which LOTR is heavily based off in large part off Norse mythology. Almost all of the dwarves mentioned in The Hobbit are from the Norse Eddas, FYI (including Gandalf, which isn't a dwarf in the book/movies obviously).

Last edited:

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Symbol on the flaming effigy looks similar to the Algiz rune:
NU6bewu.png

Symbol on the city/her face/shields looks like the Helm of Awe:
p9lrUOh.png

Keep in mind Senua is a Celtic Goddess, in a Norse land in the original Hellblade.

I love mythology. Been reading a lot of Norse/Celtic mythology lately. I'm not perfect on it, but I do enjoy it greatly.

I.e.

Also the city in the trailer looks like Edoras and the Golden Hall from Lord of the Rings. For which LOTR is heavily based off in large part off Norse mythology. Almost all of the dwarves mentioned in The Hobbit are from the Norse Eddas, FYI (including Gandalf, which isn't a dwarf in the book/movies obviously).
Do these runes imply anything in particular about the game? What do they mean? :)
Speak, runes!

Do these runes imply anything in particular about the game? What do they mean? :)
Speak, runes!

Personally, I'd recommend the Runecaster's Handbook:

Recommended by a great site of: https://norse-mythology.org/

It gives excellent descriptions of each rune.

The rune I'm referring to. albeit different from the trailer since it has two upper dual branches which do not exist in the Norse Runic alphabet, is the Algiz rune.

Per the Runecaster's handbook which I own, it states that (to paraphrase since it's quite long):
this, like the thurisiaz rune is a two-edged concept. The OE name elk-sledge is a kenning, or poetic name, for sword. Essentially, elhaz is the principle of numinous attraction and even union between the individual consciousness and the higher self embodied in the fetch of fylgia.

So on the bright side it is: connection with the gods, awakening, higher life, protection
Murkey side is: hidden danger, consumption by divine forces, loss of divine link.

That's the short version anyhow, from the book, while taking a large chunk out.

Last edited:

Pallas

Gold Member
Wow if that’s actual in game footage, that’s amazing. I think next gen is going to be paramount compared to our current gen, it really feels like we may take a large graphical and performance leap.

Well, if they fuck it up, thank to MS. The first was A-ok, but this trailer reeks.

Whose alt is this? All of these old accounts popping up just to hate

MrRenegade

Report me if I continue to troll
Wow if that’s actual in game footage, that’s amazing. I think next gen is going to be paramount compared to our current gen, it really feels like we may take a large graphical and performance leap.

Whose alt is this? All of these old accounts popping up just to hate
Sans the sensationalist trailer elements, everything looks fine. We'll seeeeeeee

Top Bottom