• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September 2010 NPD "Results" [Up3: Dead Rising 2, Metroid, Kingdom Hearts Numbers]

onipex

hatchx said:
I don't understand these sentiments. Metroid: Other M charted which certainly surprised me. Wario Land was reported to have been a solid slow-burn. S&P....did anyone really expect this to sell?

It is sad to see wii sales drop so much. This has been the strongest year for the platform, and the best is yet to come.

It is the strongest year for you and most on this board but nothing has come out that will push hardware ( big Nintendo software). It has been a year since the Wii had a killer app.

balladofwindfishes said:
In its first 20 months, the Wii sold more third party software than the other two systems in the same time frame.

http://www.next-gen.biz/features/in-depth-analysis-games-and-console-sales?page=0%2C2,2

I was joking.

Wow, Wii ended up third?

Isn't that the first time that's happened in the US?

And that's without the Move train going forward at full steam, and Kinect hasn't launched yet. Holy fuck, they could be in a bit of a pickle in the next few months.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
2 Minutes Turkish said:
Wow, Wii ended up third?

Isn't that the first time that's happened in the US?

And that's without the Move train going forward at full steam, and Kinect hasn't launched yet. Holy fuck, they could be in a bit of a pickle in the next few months.

The wii's done, son.

Kusagari said:
The Wii fad has finally ended. It will never reclaim first and 360 will reign dominant for the rest of time.

There is a rumor going around that Miyamoto has been locked in his office all morning and he's not answering his phone.....my god, pray that something hasn't happened...

Redbeard

Banned
Nintendo can't just release a Wii 2 that is simply a Wii with HD (see: PS360 level graphics), and somehow expect success from that.

Sony and Microsoft have much of that territory covered (the hardcore games market), and simply adapting to the competition will yield the same level of success they received in the gamecube days.

There's essentially two types of Wii owners: the Nintendo faithful (the "GameCube" audience), and their expanded casual market.

The latter is far bigger than the former, and by going the Wii HD route, they will be attracting a small segment of their current userbase.

Nintendo has been on fire the past few years, but their strategy is one that is hard to replicate recurring mega-titles. There are only so many "new experience" titles that can be established, and most of these titles aren't conducive to the sequel-based industry that core titles are apart of.

The hardcore games market is far more reliable and less fickle, even if it's smaller than Nintendo's expanded market. Their record-breaking business simply isn't sustainable, I'd wager, and I don't think they'll ever come close to replicating that sort of success on consoles again.

Nintendo is going to have much difficulty finding new ways to engage new audiences, because this is the only way for them to see repeats of the Wii's peak days in the future with successive consoles. Simply going the more powerful route isn't going to do them well at all compared to Sony and Microsoft. The next few years for them will be really interesting.

Redbeard said:
Nintendo can't just release a Wii 2 that is simply a Wii with HD (see: PS360 level graphics), and somehow expect success from that.

Errr... if Nintendo were going to release a new console, why would it only have PS360 level graphics?

It wouldn't be hard for Nintendo to design a machine that outclasses both, and get the de facto 'superior version' of every third party game out there.

Redbeard said:
Sony and Microsoft have much of that territory covered (the hardcore games market), and simply adapting to the competition will yield the same level of success they received in the gamecube days.

I don't think Microsoft are in the position to be actively moneyhatting developers to release the GC version of titles last so that the Xbox received less competition, as happened then.

I also don't think Microsoft OR Sony are in the position to have a new console on the market within 2 years time, as the guesstimated timeframe for a WiiHD to appear would be.

It is not beyind the realms of possibility that Nintendo will announce a WiiHD, with superior tech specs to either PS3 or 360, at next years E3 / Spaceworld for release in 2012 and entirely snap up the next generation with first mover advanatge while Ms and Sony are still trying to play catch up by grabbing the audience the current Wii already has.

Redbeard said:
There's essentially two types of Wii owners: the Nintendo faithful (the "GameCube" audience), and their expanded casual market.

The latter is far bigger than the former, and by going the Wii HD route, they will be attracting a small segment of their current userbase.

Not this shit again.

Nintendo has ONE audience it is chasing, and it is THE SAME AUDIENCE that Microsoft and Sony are chasing; people willing to spend money on computer games.

It is entirely futile trying to package up consumers into marketing-friendly categories.

Redbeard said:
Nintendo is going to have much difficulty finding new ways to engage new audiences, because this is the only way for them to see repeats of the Wii's peak days in the future with successive consoles. Simply going the more powerful route isn't going to do them well at all compared to Sony and Microsoft. The next few years for them will be really interesting.

Why wouldn't it?

The people who actively jizz themselves into a frenzy everytime Digital Foundry posts a face off would refuse to buy a console with an extremely clearcut 'superior version' of every title just because its on a Nintendo console?

People who consider themselves to be 'hardcore' would actively not want a console that has all of the third party titles worth having (and this gen has become all about third parties) in addition to whatever Nintendo make?

Seriously, how the fuck are people automatically falling back into their 'nintendo are doomed' mindsets now? Are 'gamers' really so conservative and bitter that they want Nintendo to fail so badly? As Nintendo are coming off of one of the most successful consoles ever made, with the most successful handheld ever made at what in any other gen would be approaching the end of its natural lifespan?

apana

Redbeard said:

Nintendo has been on fire the past few years, but their strategy is one that is hard to replicate recurring mega-titles. There are only so many "new experience" titles that can be established, and most of these titles aren't conducive to the sequel-based industry that core titles are apart of.

The hardcore games market is far more reliable and less fickle, even if it's smaller than Nintendo's expanded market. Their record-breaking business simply isn't sustainable, I'd wager, and I don't think they'll ever come close to replicating that sort of success on consoles again.

This sounds like wishful thinking, the Wii is still going pretty strong with perhaps less support than a dead console. Althought I agree and disagree with a certain part of what you said. I think the Wii HD could easily be the number one console again in terms of "winning", but a Wii HD alone wont generate the kind of huge profits that the Wii generated. Nintendo looks at winning in terms of big profits.

What is coming out on Wii that will reverse the trend of its falling sales? I mean their biggest games so far have been Wii Sports, Wii Fit, and a bunch of other Wii minigame games as well as the typical Mario, Zelda, etc. With the waggle game fad dying down all they have left is their regular games which are best played with a traditional controller.

Much like the music game genre which enjoyed huge success at first and is now dying, the waggle game genre will likely experience the same thing, unless they can come out with some new games that really take advantage of it well. Third parties have had virtually no success at doing it and most of Nintendo's offerings amount to nothing more than collections of mini games. I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo's next console is a lot like the PS3 in that it will have a traditional controller and then a waggle controller and specific games will be able to use whichever one the developer's choose.

flak57

Synth_floyd said:
What is coming out on Wii that will reverse the trend of its falling sales? I mean their biggest games so far have been Wii Sports, Wii Fit, and a bunch of other Wii minigame games as well as the typical Mario, Zelda, etc. With the waggle game fad dying down all they have left is their regular games which are best played with a traditional controller.

Much like the music game genre which enjoyed huge success at first and is now dying, the waggle game genre will likely experience the same thing, unless they can come out with some new games that really take advantage of it well. Third parties have had virtually no success at doing it and most of Nintendo's offerings amount to nothing more than collections of mini games. I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo's next console is a lot like the PS3 in that it will have a traditional controller and then a waggle controller and specific games will be able to use whichever one the developer's choose.

Will DKC pull it's magic again like with the SNES against the surging Genesis?

(probably not, but it's fun to think so)

donny2112

Good to see a lot of others coming around to the "Wii 2 in 2011" way of thinking. Now if only Nintendo would jump on-board that train. :/ Make Wii Relax a first-year title for the next system. Add in camera and easily portable coding structure, and you're looking pretty good.

They intentionally made the Wii not easy to port to. They specifically didn't want the shoved-off-ware that GameCube got. They wanted games with effort. The mistake made was believing that third-parties were telling the truth last generation. Someone even went so far as to say last generation that it didn't matter how hard the PS2 was to code for. No way were they missing that userbase. This generation has shown the lie to those words. Nintendo set themselves up, and third-parties let them go, to both parties' detriment.

Nintendo took a risk with the Wiimote and accompanying games like Wii Sports, and it paid off handsomely. Nintendo took a risk by forcing third-parties to have to really want to get games on the Wii to get them there, and that mistake will keep them from blowing past the PS2. If they do Wii2 like 3DS (familiar development environment, heavier focus on third-parties), hopefully the third-party support woes won't continue next generation.

Edit:
Oh, and drop that price $50 and 10K yen in Japan a month ago.

Edit2:
Oh, and Player's Choice line 1-2 years ago.

gcubed said:
well, i guess i'm glad i left that 5% in there for doubt... i was wrong. Thanks!

where are all the Wii channel stuffer posts then?
If you're refering to me, I've never considered the Wii a relevant console. It's just too different with such a lack of traditional games that it just gets left out of my head when thinking about videogames and the consoles that play them.

My personal theory is that Nintendo is using the 3DS to see if they can upgrade to a graphics intensive market and bring the casuals along while trying to court the hardcore.

If that works out, I wouldn't be surprised to see a $350 Wii 2 announced late next year.

KJ_Wii

Neo Member
ShockingAlberto said:
It'd be kind of funny if someone at the NPD had a financial interest in that other site.

That...doesn't even make sense. Prop up a "fake" site to make NPD look better? Somehow I think that'd get exposed faster than a fake "All I want for Xmas is a PSP" blog.

Segata Sanshiro said:
The difference is that the NPD are transparent with their methodology and are within statistically acceptable error range. The very fact that ioi changes his numbers after getting NPD numbers shows that even he himself is not confident in his numbers, because if he was, he wouldn't just change them when a rival reports differently.

I know many of you will choose to go there instead of having nothing. If that makes you feel better, go for it. But there isn't a single member of the true sales-age core that are going to trust ioi's numbers as long as he keeps behaving like a salesman more than a statistician.

As much as I wish he were reliable, as much as I wish he were a reasonable, statistically valid replacement for the NPD, as much as I wish I could cheer him on as he socks the assholes at NPD upside the jaw, wishing doesn't make things so or else I'd have a reasonably-sized penis and a bottomless jar of grasshopper cookies.

Then send him a statistician to help him out? (Scratch that, his ego would never allow it.) There is some real data there just not enough to get consistently good estimates for the entire market. I dunno I just feel like there has to be a better solution than burying our heads in the sand and crossing our fingers and hoping that either NPD benevolently changes their mind or some other big boy comes in to bust the monopoly and doesn't also act like assholes.

hatchx said:
Seriously Nintendo needs to start playing hard-ball and they can afford to do it. Drop the wii price, introduce new colours, introduce a player's choice line-up and maybe even a 'hidden gems' line-up (for overlooked games that reviewed well, Zak and Wiki, Red Steel 2, etc).

Propping up hardware sales with these measures wouldn't actually be a profitable move and wouldn't do a whole lot to combat the real problem (massively declining software sales).

balladofwindfishes said:
There's a fundamental difference between third party support and third party sales. You can't make the blanket statement that the Wii has poor third party sales, yet neglect to include shovelware in the mix.

That's what I was arguing in regards to shovelware on the Wii. I was not trying to pioneer shovelware as any sort of pro for the Wii, I was merely correcting a common theory that Wii's third party sales are low, when they are not.

Wii's current third party sales are pretty pathetic - far lower than the PS3 with something like double the userbase.

M.I.S. said:
After seeing launches (or about to launch) of NSMB Wii, DKCR, Kirby Wii, Super Mario All-Stars Wii I would have to agree.

Would've been perfect to see, say, Zero Mission on Wii expanded in the same way NSMB Wii was from the DS version.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but are you one of the people who somehow still thinks that NSMB is just an enhanced port of NSMB DS? That's like saying Halo: Reach is just an enhanced port of Halo 3.

I'd rather have a Metroid Prime 4 than any 2d Metroid game at this point, there hasn't been a good one (imo) since Super Metroid anyway. Maybe Retro could do it better but I can't stand Sakamoto games anymore.

Dragmire

Leave it to a videogame forum to lose perspective. The Wii is fine. It still has several price drops left to boost it up, it still has several big games, and it will still sell ridiculous amounts this holiday. 360 and PS3 are on a wave of success with some big new releases that will probably eat into the Wii market (considering that Sony and MS are going for its throat), but the Wii isn't gonna lie like a dead fish this soon.

PSGames

The 'Wii fad' hasn't died people. Tell me what AAA Nintendo titles released last month or is releasing in the next few months? Software drives hardware sales. If Nintendo can come out with a killer lineup for next year you better believe the Wii will pick up in sales.

PSGames said:
The 'Wii fad' hasn't died people. Tell me what AAA Nintendo titles released last month or is releasing in the next few months? Software drives hardware sales. If Nintendo can come out with a killer lineup for next year you better believe the Wii will pick up in sales.
So the last 6 months of year over year decline is not a trend to you then? Interesting logic there.

Wow. Wii is at 3rd? I never thought I'd say this but I think Nintendo is in trouble. The Wii has been falling for months. Not only has Move pushed the Playstation 3 significantly pass the Wii, but pre-Kinect hype seems to have skyrocket the 360's sales. It seems that Microsoft and SONY being late to the game has seemed to have next to no effect on their performance. Both hardcore gamers and casuals seem to prefer to have both superior motion control and graphics. It seems that having one of these two advantages doesn't really over-ride an "in" product, but when both combine it seems that it gives a product enough push to topple anything. Nintendo hit it big with the Wii, but it seems that they became too arrogant and didn't bother with exclusive advanced motion controller software and/or add-ons to give the Wii an extra "oomph" to get near the level of graphical fidelity of the PS3 and 360. Nintendo better be planning on launching a successor soon, or else SONY and Microsoft will near push them out of the motion control market.

Dragmire said:
Leave it to a videogame forum to lose perspective. The Wii is fine. It still has several price drops left to boost it up, it still has several big games, and it will still sell ridiculous amounts this holiday. 360 and PS3 are on a wave of success with some big new releases that will probably eat into the Wii market (considering that Sony and MS are going for its throat), but the Wii isn't gonna lie like a dead fish this soon.
This kind of "nothing is wrong" thinking is exactly what got the Wii in this position to begin with.

DMczaf

New! Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock (All Platforms) - 86,000 [This means all Top10 titles >86k]

john_riccitiello.JPG

PSGames

elrechazao said:
So the last 6 months of year over year decline is not a trend to you then? Interesting logic there.

Trend that it's not selling as well? Yes. Trend that it's dead and we'll never see it back ontop in hardware sales? No.

Jewbacca

Banned
IMO Nintendo is stuck this generation, they are going to have to ride this one out for the next two years.

This is what nintendo will do..

WiiHD
Motion Plus is now completely integrated into remote.
Revamped UI, and internet experience.
Opera Web Browsing
Social Network Enhanced
Nintendo Live/Connect/Too fucking late.

Consoles are getting sucked into the battle of the living room and Sony and Microsoft have their dicks on the table while Nintendo is still trying to get its little chubby out of its pants as they think about yesteryear.

Sony will bunker up with google and have conflicted interests with their PC business as they try to win the living room, while Microsoft can pretty much do whatever the hell they want and be fairly successful, and Apple will always have that nice profitable 10% market share of whatever they do. Google.. who the fuck knows, they seem to go into a cluster fuck of directions.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Jewbacca said:
IMO Nintendo is stuck this generation, they are going to have to ride this one out for the next two years.

This is what nintendo will do..

WiiHD
Motion Plus is now completely integrated into remote.
Revamped UI, and internet experience.
Opera Web Browsing
Social Network Enhanced
Nintendo Live/Connect/Too fucking late.

Consoles are getting sucked into the battle of the living room and Sony and Microsoft have their dicks on the table while Nintendo is still trying to get its little chubby out of its pants as they think about yesteryear.

Sony will bunker up with google and have conflicted interests with their PC business, while Microsoft can pretty much do whatever the hell they want and be fairly successful.
Microsoft should be scared shitless about apple, though.

Ecotic

I just can't help but think that Nintendo would've completely owned this generation if they had just released a Wii that was graphically comparable to the 360/PS3, and with a classic controller and Wii remote standard in every box.

...just so much lost revenue, and a chance to put their competition in a vastly weakened state going into the next generation. They could have had the gaming holy grail - the casual market and the hardcore crowd - which perhaps only the PS2 ever really achieved.

Rainier

Ecotic said:
I just can't help but think that Nintendo would've completely owned this generation if they had just released a Wii that was graphically comparable to the 360/PS3, and with a classic controller and Wii remote standard in every box.

...just so much lost revenue, and a chance to put their competition in a vastly weakened state going into the next generation. They could have had the gaming holy grail - the casual market and the hardcore crowd - which perhaps only the PS2 ever really achieved.
1: They have owned this generation.
B: The Wii you discribe would have priced the casuals out of the market.
iii: At this point the Wii has outsold the PS2
I think

Redbeard

Banned
PSGames said:

What AAA titles did Sony have release in September? PS3 is a $300 console without a game packed in; Wii is a $199 console with a game packed in.

Despite both of them not having any truly AAA titles release in the past month, PS3 outsold the Wii considerably.

If you can't see the rapid decline of the Wii this year, not only in the US but also in regions like Japan, then you're blind. Sure, Wii could have a few months where it's back to #1, but I think that's going to become a rarity, and Microsoft/Sony will begin to both beat the Wii with some consistency.

Remember, the Wii used to outsell both the PS3 and 360 COMBINED.

szaromir said:
IIRC Guitar Hero 3 sold 10M copies in the US. That's the most spectacular fall of any series in history and it took only 3 years.
Well . . . on the bright side, Activision did profit off it massively over the last 3 years. All good things have to come to an end eventually. I guess it will limp along and provide additional revenues . . . but Activision better get some new IP cooking. They can't live on CoD & Blizzard forever.

Ecotic said:

As someone already pointed out, Nintendo has owned this generation. Maybe if they went HD they would have been the big loser . . . the expensive HD boxes clearly got owned by the Wii at the start. The HD boxes are just now catching up because of HDTV market penetration and cheaper HD console prices.

Perhaps the light that burns twice as bright lasts half as long? I dunno.
gd9477112rutger-hauerfilm-bla-5324.jpg

I do think the Wii fad has ended. What games are coming out which justify the use of the waggle controls? What do the waggle controls really do well besides mini games? The end of the music game genre should be a harbinger of the fate of the waggle game genre and the Wii in its current form.

Ecotic

Rainier said:
I think
Nah, the Wii may have sold the most consoles this generation, but it was never treated by publishers, developers, and the industry at large like the leading console. Very few publishers/developers ever banked on the Wii with their premier, high-budget, "bottom-line depends on it" titles like Activision did with Modern Warfare 2, for example. Publishers have tried their best this generation to make a dollar as best they can while ignoring the Wii.

Redbeard

Banned
Synth_floyd said:
I do think the Wii fad has ended. What games are coming out which justify the use of the waggle controls? What do the waggle controls really do well besides mini games? The end of the music game genre should be a harbinger of the fate of the waggle game genre and the Wii in its current form.

Exactly; there's a lot of similarities at play here.

For the user Nintendo has attracted, there's simply no reason to buy lots of software.

Why would someone need Wii Fit 2 when Wii Fit 1 already tracks their progress and gives them a decent range of activities? There's only so many fitness games that make sense.

Why would the type of player that brings out their Wii for fun, social gaming need twenty different mini-game collections which all accomplish the same thing? Wii Sports does the job just fine.

It's the same reason why Guitar Hero is now dead. If you already have a Guitar Hero game, there's very little incentive to pay $60 or more dollars and get an expansion pack with more songs when all you want to do is just play some games now and then when you have your friends over. You don't need to accumulate songs in Guitar Hero like it's your own personal MP3 collection.

The comparison has been made before, but what made the Wii such a phenomenon are a few, key, crucial megahits, and in many respects the Wii is a lot like a boardgame substitute; fun to bring out on the occasion where you have people over, but you don't need to buy 20 different board games because you're never going to really use them all. It's simply not practical.

The 360/PS3 ecosystem is much different, and is more similar to episodic content. If you're a fan of a TV series, you're going to keep watching as the next seasons progress. That's why titles like Call of Duty continue to be successes year in and year out. That could change with competition, obviously, but the core model is very different from the model that made the Wii a success.

Rainier said:
I think
A. They have owned it thus far, but in a very peculiar way. No other leading console has gone from the heights the Wii achieved, to great, to average, to below average in the same generation. So, as far as them owning the generation, the reality of the Wii's position is that this Gen is far from over.

B. Not if Nintendo subsidized part of the console like every other manufactuer does during the begining of its lifecycle. Course they can't do that. They're Nintendo. Money, money, money........but only if there's very little risk taking. Bet $100 some Nintendo executives wish they'd been a little more loose with the pocket book right about now though.

C4Lukins

Dragmire said:

Yeah, I would be very surprised if the 360 is even able to hold off the Wii in the US this holiday. Those crazy numbers from last year just cannot be ignored. It has dropped off significantly, and despite the strong near future Wii lineup I doubt any of those titles will perform like the more successful Wii games of the generation. If the 360 or PS3 was pulling 250K, I think everyone would agree those were healthy numbers. It does feel like Nintendo is sort of winding down the Wii though with so much development going towards 3DS.

Rainier

Tell ya what, if the Wii outsells the 360 and the PS3 in December, can we at least all agree that the HD fad is over, and that Sony and Microsoft are in real trouble?

C4Lukins

Rainier said:
Tell ya what, if the Wii outsells the 360 and the PS3 in December, can we at least all agree that the HD fad is over, and that Sony and Microsoft are in real trouble?

Two stupids do not make a smart.

Owzers

The lack of a Mario Golf game that elaborates on Wii Sports' Golf's intuitive set-up is disheartening. I'm tired of playing the same 9 courses with my brother for the last 2 years. We tried and hated Tiger Woods, we just want something simple yet replayable and fun.

Flakster99

In all my time here, I'm pretty sure this thread takes the cake for its sheer numbers of armchair analysts. Holy shit.

Well NPD, you have your shit storm, practically baseless of a thread.

MrNyarlathotep said:
Not this shit again.

Nintendo has ONE audience it is chasing, and it is THE SAME AUDIENCE that Microsoft and Sony are chasing; people willing to spend money on computer games.

It is entirely futile trying to package up consumers into marketing-friendly categories.
I think he makes a valid point. The Wii early adopters form the core audience. Its easier to retain them than retain the fence-sitters and late adopters. Audience retention is a real issue in business. Lot of factors affect it though.

Flying_Phoenix said:
Nintendo hit it big with the Wii, but it seems that they became too arrogant and didn't bother with exclusive advanced motion controller software and/or add-ons to give the Wii an extra "oomph" to get near the level of graphical fidelity of the PS3 and 360.

clashfan said:
Nitendo got arrogant and that lead to complacency. These npd numbers are a warning sign.

Where the hell is this "arrogance" coming from? Did I miss some crucial PR from Nintendo displaying said arrogance?

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
jvm said:
I regret to say that there will probably not be a chart this afternoon. Unless things change, I have nothing new to add.

If there's anything that makes me feel really bad about this new NPD policy is the fact that some people have a job that depends on accessibility to data and analyzing them.

I hope they give you -something- you can use.

Flakster99 said:
In all my time here, I'm pretty sure this thread takes the cake for its sheer numbers of armchair analysts. Holy shit.

Well NPD, you have your shit storm, practically baseless of a thread.

Must be your first NPD thread, they all end up like this numbers or no.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Little Green Yoda said:
Where the hell is this "arrogance" coming from? Did I miss some crucial PR from Nintendo displaying said arrogance?

From what I saw in previous 3DS posts when it was 1st announced, the price point apparently meant Nintendo was arrogant again, or something. :/

Iwata is probably the LEAST arrogant and most sensible CEO in the business at the moment.
At least in public anyway...

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Dead Rising 2 -- 370K across all platforms
Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep -- 225K
Metroid: Other M -- 173K

Numbers are real, unable to comment further. And this is not a policy shift re: leaks, so don't get any ideas.

Top Bottom