• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September 2018 NPD (Hardware)

Iaterain

If we combine Xbone and Switch sales, they barely outsell PS4.
It is a solid prove that PS5 will not come any time soon.

Codes 208

The switch sold nearly 100k more than xbox. In xbox's biggest territory.

Kirby killed Nintendo confirmed /s

Thats not entirely true. September saw sony's biggest launch this gen, their numbers fluctuating supports that.

A lot of times these numbers are like rollercoasters and xbox or nintendo may outsell sony in october or november (depending of course on games like pokemon, smash bros and rdr2)

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
We need more in the OP. Amazing numbers by Sony. PS4 almost outsold MS and Nintendo combined... November and December is going to be a slaughterhouse season.

Last edited:

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I consider it pretty amazing how the Switch sells so well without any notable new games releases all year. PS4 and Xbox have all the third party content, Switch lacks almost all of it and then Nintendo is having an overly extended vacation with all the creative talent...

Worth mentioning that xbox did 176k last year, so it’s basically flat yoy.

Anyways, thats an unreal number of consoles sold. Well done sony.

Are you suggesting the PS2 wasn't selling very well prior to announcing the PS3? It's ridiculous the conclusion you've come to. The PS5 will be out between September 2019 and November 2020.

Killer751

Banned
I consider it pretty amazing how the Switch sells so well without any notable new games releases all year. PS4 and Xbox have all the third party content, Switch lacks almost all of it and then Nintendo is having an overly extended vacation with all the creative talent...

Switch is NOT selling well. It is a brand new console competing with established success stories. The fact that it can't even compete with PS4 is laughable.

I'm not surprised at all to see Sony demolishing the console industry. We're not going to see another major shift in the gaming sphere until streaming becomes the norm.

truth411

With the stacked 2019 game lineup for PS4. Great PS4 sales, there is no need for PS5 in 2019. Holiday 2020 makes more sense, till then bundle games with the PS4 Pro.

thelastword

Banned
Switch is NOT selling well. It is a brand new console competing with established success stories. The fact that it can't even compete with PS4 is laughable.

I'm not surprised at all to see Sony demolishing the console industry. We're not going to see another major shift in the gaming sphere until streaming becomes the norm.
The real question is this; how would Xbox fare had it not been for all those crazy deals, especially the Gamestop deal...

On the flip, PRO hardware has been hard to come by, even worldwide.... On the back of some excellent pro enhanced first party titles and even some upcoming third party titles like RDR2.....So perhaps Sony could have pushed some more units if there was more stock, it just seems to me that PRO is a hot and sought out commodity right now for new PS4 buyers and to those upgrading.....

Still 425k PS4's to 435k Switch+Xbox is definitely a wallop.... I wonder what you'll hear next, that Sony is anti-consumer because it won't let the others get close, they're not playing fair and should allow the competition to get close to their numbers....., because competition is good for the industry??? They are too far ahead et al...;)

Last edited:

Sigh, so they care about the bottom line, not sells...you dont know anything about their financial plan with the playstation, for example games as a service is a way more attractive business move then selling a ton of games that do not have a good long term financial return. So, you cant give a lazy view on just the sells unless you know the internal goals for the current system, and the new system in development..

MoogleMan

With the stacked 2019 game lineup for PS4. Great PS4 sales, there is no need for PS5 in 2019. Holiday 2020 makes more sense, till then bundle games with the PS4 Pro.
I agree with this completely.

Bc is a plus but in reality who buys new consoles to play old games?
For me personally, it would be more convenience than anything else. It's nice to not have a bunch of consoles hooked up, different controllers to manage, etc.

Last edited:

postaboy

For me personally, it would be more convenience than anything else. It's nice to not have a bunch of consoles hooked up, different controllers to manage, etc.

As a guy who's in his 30s, work full-time, and has a side business I'm glad Sony decided not to include BC. The PS4 has too many good games to play and I have yet to go back and turn on my PS3 to play last gen games. BC is so overrated and an excuse to make Sony look bad.

Last edited:

HeresJohnny

Hopefully Microsoft is seeing and believing that a $500 console is not going to fare well, even in a booming economy. Granted, this generation is pretty much over and some of the resistance could be coming from people not wanting to invest so much in a system that will be old tech in a few months, but if you look at the overall trend, a $500 console doesn't sell -- no matter who is making it (Sony or Microsoft).

HeresJohnny

Don't bank on this. If I remember correctly, the PS3 came out while the PS2 was still killing it. Sony's got all kinds of choices to make, and the biggest and most noticeable is that they haven't even put the system in true mass market pricing yet. Wait until a PS4 can be had for $199... But they WILL release the PS5 in the next 12 months. imo. Developers are already making next gen games; the market is going to move on whether Sony wants it to or not because those developers wouldn't risk having a game ready with no base to buy it. Sony will be ready though, I'm sure of it. 12 months or less.

TeamGhobad

Banned
the ps2 was selling 200k the first 1/3 of the ps3 gen. same thing will happen here. ps4 sales wont suffer because there is a ps5

nowhat

I would say so. Systems like the Pro and the X are niche products.
According to Sony (or what they've said previously at least) one in five PS4s sold is a Pro, so ~20%. Whether that is a lot or not is debatable. But sure, the base model sells much more.

HeresJohnny

According to Sony (or what they've said previously at least) one in five PS4s sold is a Pro, so ~20%. Whether that is a lot or not is debatable. But sure, the base model sells much more.

I think it’s a fair amount given how heavily the Pro leans on someone having a 4K television, which only around a fourth of US households own. The reason it seems high to me though is because you need a customer who has a 4K set, is willing to pay $400 for a game console, and doesn’t already own a PS4. It’s the opposite of the normal buying cu4ve for tech; usually it’s the super hardcore that adopt at any price right away. But the type of buyer who jumps in 5 years into a generation is usually the one who isn’t super passionate about games and was able to hold off on pulling the trigger until a great library is available and the system is cheap.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
It only got introduced like 3.2 years later than the PS4, but yeah, lets ignore that.

Switch has a ton of third party content. Underworld Ascendant is coming to it, for example. (Admittely, it also hits the other consoles.) Or Amid Evil.

That it isnt Nintendo-produced games is one point, but to say that PS4/XBO have all third party and Switch lacks almost all of it is just fearmongering imo.

thelastword

Banned
Bc is a plus but in reality who buys new consoles to play old games?
Of course we agree, didn't think I needed to put the smiley..... New games for current console spec is what have given PS4 all its success and deservedly too....I imagine the same will be the case with PS5, though that one will have BC...... Yet, new games is what's going to sell PS5 by at least a 99% ratio.....

Last edited:

goldenpp72

Systems are never their most successful their first year lol.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
It came out a year after the 360. The PS2 was becoming a non factor, except in Japan.

Very easily and categorically provably untrue. Google when Sony announced PS2 hit 100mil shipped (11/05), look at when X360 launched (11-12/05), then the PS3 launch (11/06-03/07), then the date when Sony announced 150mil PS2's shipped (10/11).

6 years, 50million additional sales. If that's a non-factor what does that say about virtually every other console in history?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You may want to check your facts on that claim. The PS2 was the top selling home system for both November and December 2006 by a wide margin iirc.

I even repurchased a new Slim PS2 with MLB 06 The Show to get my baseball gaming fix, because the offering on the 360 was pure rubbish.

I love my Switch but Nintendo must try harder.

1539965057133.jpg

NDP rankings this month (prediction):

NBA2K
Spiderman
Forza Horizon 4
Assassins Creed
Madden
Fifa
Tomb Raider
GTA V

Last edited:
Top Bottom