• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sequel to Super Mario RPG rumored to be in development

DonMigs85

A big Nintendo Switch exclusive has possibly leaked ahead of its reveal, or at least that's what a new rumor would have us believe. After several months of utter silence, Nintendo has come back alive with two big announcements the past couple of weeks: Super Mario 3D All-Stars and Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity. In other words, while many thought Nintendo was simply calling it quits in 2020, this is obviously not the case. That said, the next big announcement may have just leaked out.

Over on Twitter, user Sharito742 claims they've been tipped off that Square Enix and Nintendo are working on a Super Mario RPG sequel for the Nintendo Switch and Nintendo Switch Lite. Further, the leaker claims that the original game, Super Mario RPG, is coming to Nintendo Switch Online, and when it does, the sequel will be announced.

Unfortunately, this is where the details end. Doubly unfortunate is that there's currently no way to validate this claim, which means for now you should file it in the rumor drawer with a big grain of salt. The source in question doesn't have a known track record for scoops. That said, this isn't an automatic disqualifier. After all, some of the biggest leaks and scoops in the history of games have come from anonymous sources on 4chan, Reddit, and elsewhere. However, it's important to keep this in mind.

Probably unlikely, but would be nice if true and comes out within the next couple years. Finally we might see Geno in Smash

-Arcadia-

Banned
Today’s Square Enix?

There’s a world of difference between teaming up with a developer at the forefront of RPG gaming in the 90s, with masterpiece after masterpiece, and teaming up with what’s left of them today.

I mean, I’m open to it, if it’s a good idea and well done, but this is hardly the megaton news it would have been 15 years ago.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Today’s Square Enix?

There’s a world of difference between teaming up with a developer at the forefront of RPG gaming in the 90s, with masterpiece after masterpiece, and teaming up with what’s left of them today.

I mean, I’m open to it, if it’s a good idea and well done, but this is hardly the megaton news it would have been 15 years ago.
I don’t even care who works on it, a sequel to the original or another SMRPG game in general would be enormous news. I think Paper Mario: The Origami King could have been game of the year no issue at all if they had added RPG elements, plus a little more freedom involved with its exploration

Today’s Square Enix?

Yeah I can say the same thing about modern Nintendo. Both are shells of their former selves, the only difference is that one has a deluded fandom that continue licking that corporate ass.

cireza

Awesome, I was getting a bit tired of Mario games, this should allow for some more diversity on Switch !

JSoup

Banned
I wouldn't want this from current Nintendo.
Current Nintendo is so afraid of it's fan base, the newest Paper Mario couldn't have unique partner characters.
They do enough damage with first party RPGs as it is.

Last edited:

JonnyMP3

Yeah I can say the same thing about modern Nintendo. Both are shells of their former selves, the only difference is that one has a deluded fandom that continue licking that corporate ass.
Is it bad that personally I'm not sure which one you're referring to that has the deluded fanbase... I can apply that to both companies. 👀

Top Bottom