• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sequels that will never happen for games that ended on cliffhangers

Necrovex

No the problem with The Old Republic was that it was an MMO with all the things thta comes with it, including a ridiculous grind fest and a sub fee (At the time) and you say the fairest monetisation but I say it's one of the worst, you can't sprint in the game until like level 15 unless you pay, you get exp reductions if you don't pay and you are constantly asked to buy those coins. It's far too much grinding for people who just want to play a singeplayer story and the gameplay is typical MMO which makes it boring.

It was not what people wanted for Kotor.

I like SWTOR but your post is so bloody true. I would've loved to only do the class story quests, since some of them were fantastic (I.e the imperial agent). However there was so much MMO crap to wade through. A true KOTOR would not have the MMO parts to it.

ZcMiiHt.jpg

Fade to Black, the sequel to Flashback. There was a third game in development, Flashback Legend(s), that was canceled and leaked, but I'm not sure if it was even a followup to the second game or some sort of retcon/reboot.

Xater

This thread is why I don't believe in creating trilogies and shot from the get go. If you make a new IP finish your damn story.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Oh, here's a good one.

th

Xenosaga's set of six games became compromised during Episode II. The only game that followed the original vision was the first game. IIRC, Xenogears was Episode V, and Xenosaga Episode V was meant to be a retelling of that story, with VI as the grand finale.

Did the story continue? Technically, yes. But the story we were originally meant to get wasn't told in the way it was intended.

LakeEarth

I can't believe we're 8 pages in and no one has mentioned Psi-Ops for a ninth time.

Ok then, Psi-Ops! Game had amazing mechanics, and his telekinesis powers impressed for both action and puzzle solving.

That being said, FUCK any game that ends with "to be continued" (unless its episodic). Fuck any game that gave me an incomplete story, or those which add plot threads that they have no intention of resolving (until the sequel). Especially for new, unproven franchises where a sequel is not a sure thing. Sucked enough when Halo 2 did it, but at least you knew there would be another one.

OranSky

Banned
It was a crap game but Sonic cronicals. They literally said: we will have to wait for the sequal. The quality of the game proved they'll have to wait indefinitely.

SpaceMarine. Solid game with a decent story and characterization that ends on a total cliffhanger. I really want to know what happens after Titus leaves in the custody of the Inquisitor.

inb4 "Heresy. Heresy everywhere."

No the problem with The Old Republic was that it was an MMO with all the things that comes with it, including a ridiculous grind fest and a sub fee (At the time) and you say the fairest monetisation but I say it's one of the worst, you can't sprint in the game until like level 15 unless you pay, you get exp reductions if you don't pay and you are constantly asked to buy those coins. It's far too much grinding for people who just want to play a singeplayer story and the gameplay is typical MMO which makes it boring.

It was not what people wanted for Kotor.

Not to mention there was no Mac version. I probably would have played the game had they not gone Windows-only.

I'm probably the only person that wanted to see more of the universe set up in Hellgate: London, but given the online debacle with that game I'm not surprised it died an ignoble death.

Top Bottom