• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Series in which you went from rabid fan to having a casual interest. What lost you?

Resident Evil. I was a huge fan of the original trilogy and CV. Loved 4 as well. Found 5 to be a slog but I finished it. Couldn't finish 6. Took a slight interest in Revelations but it really didn't pull me back in. Loved 7 though so if they go back in that direction I'll be back In.

ByWatterson

Destiny.

Hardcore player of the first title, from the Alpha, bought all expansions, out in maybe 900 hours. Became increasingly disinterested with each DLC release.

Now, D2 is something to which I pay attention, and I'll play the beta, but I'm so disappointed how low they set their sights. The first one was nearly all potential, but never, ever felt like what Destiny could or should be.

So their mere remix of the formula (and pathetic refusal to make significant graphical improvements), has me only slightly interested.

WillyFive

I lost interest in Paper Mario after the 3DS game. It was obvious Nintendo had different plans and vision for the series by that point.

Aeana

Ys. The switch to the party system and focus on mountains of dialog has really injured the experience for me. I've been with the series since the 80s but I have a hard time getting particularly excited in a post-Ys 7 world.

DD

On the original Xbox Halo was the shit, but it started to lose me on 3 that, even though it was a great game, it didn't felt like a finished product with the special touches a franchise like that deserved. I enjoyed ODST too, but it was still lacking. Reach brought that passion back, but 4 was really really weak, and since Microsoft lost me with their original vision for the Xbox One, I picked up a Playstation for the first time in my life instead of a Xbox.

gypsygib

Halo

I played Read over about 5 times, loved the story and really loved the rest of the series. But I got a PS4 instead of xbox one, then switched to PC gaming mainly and was into port begging for a while. Now, don't really care. It was like a break up and now I've moved on to Overwatch and Wolfenstein and it's probably for the best.

Canucked

FF lost me at 10. I got one thing I really wanted, fully voiced cutscenes. But I didn't like the one path world or characters.

Servbot24

Banned
Zelda. It used to be THE series. Then Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks all underwhelmed and the series lost a ton of luster. Playing BotW now and I'm enjoying it, but it still doesn't compare to earlier days.

Ff13 and 15 are definitely not what I want in an rpg. I thought FF was dead to me but I'm enjoying playing 12 again.

MGS wrapped the story up in 4 so well that I haven't had any interest since.

Tenchu 4 on the Wii pretty much killed the series for me.

Resident Evil 7 is nothing I want in a RE game.

Andromeda killed ME.

Need for Speed seems lost at this point.

Umbooki

COD: Back when Modern Warfare first dropped, playing online was the coolest thing ever. I slowly built up my friends list with the cool people I came across in game chat and I lived for those games where I could do no wrong and dominated. What went wrong? I got burnt out on the series after BLOPs and had no motivation to try to keep up with the teenagers that grew up playing the series. They're a different breed.

Kingdom Hearts: Simple and Clean was my Summer Jam back in 2002, nevermind the fact that the game came out in September. At the time, the combat was unlike anything I'd played before and the Final Fantasy characters were the cherry on top. KH2 was a special experience for me because my friend and I played through it on Pride mode while talking about it over the phone. The gameplay was better and the Advent Children cast was the greatest thing to me at the time, but the story got really goofy. How'd things go sour? Square released like 13 1/2 KH games since KH2 and none of them are Kingdom Hearts III. My tolerance for the nonsense was much higher back when I was 12. As of today, Mickey Mouse is more of an oversized rat than a savior.

Final Fantasy: IV, VII, IX, XIII, XIII-2, XIII-3. Y'all can keep the rest as far as I'm concerned. XII was the first time I got burned and I woke up from the FF Hype cycle. Versus should've been the game to bring me back into the fold, but uh, y'all know how that turned out. Persona has done a good job of filling the JRPG void, but I'm getting the sneaking suspicion that the series might've peaked at P4. I'll get back to y'all on that one.

Pokemon: Played my Pokemon Red, Blue, and Yellow carts more times that anyone should. Being a 5/6 year old during the late 90s was the hypest shit ever because I could take my overleveled Charizard to school and show him off to my pals. The fact that older kids were more in tune with team comps and bodied me free was no issue because it was all part of my story. I was gonna be a Pokemon Master, y'all. I played every game up until X/Y where I got into serious breeding and online play. Gave Y 300 hours of my life and now I have nothing left to give to the series.

Bahorel

The Sims

And I'm lower than casual fan now I'm just not purchasing at all

EA absolutely murdered its spirit when they turned it into their cash cow and couldn't even release a fully featured game for 4

ShadyK54

Probably Call of Duty for me.

Got into the series with Black Ops 1 and absolutely loved all three modes (still the most time I've put into a CoD multiplayer with over 7 Days played). I loved MW3 and BO2 afterwards...and then Ghosts came along.

Ended up despising Ghosts, and liking CoD less and less with each subsequent release afterwards (AW, BO3, & IW). Now I'm barely even excited for WWII, even though they're finally moving on from the future warfare like I wanted.

Always hoping a new entry knocks me out of the slump & gets me back into the series.

Gears of War - Enjoyed the first 3 a lot but the remaster, Judgement and 4 were just more of the same, with nothing massively new about them. They aren't bad games of course but not day one buys anymore, more wait for a sale instead.

zoodoo

Mgs 1 to 4 is the complete package. Anything outside of that feels like filler and I am not really interested.

I lost interest in resident evil after 5. I found that deadspace did, what modern RE was trying to do, way better. I still miss classic RE though. Exploring a huge mansion with static camera.

Blazblue! Went from playing it each day, participating in tournament, to kinda wanting to get the latest entry whenever it hit 10€. Each entry past BB CS Extend lowered my interest.

Q8D3vil

Well you even have less than a casual interest then ;)

I'm talking more about still having some interest, but you're rather cautious about investing in a new entry.
Oh sorry, i had casual interest with both ODST and Reach (finished them thanks to coop), Tried 4 after that and couldnt stand it though.

Street Fighter. I had every version of Street Fighter 2 and all the Street Fighter Alpha games, but as the game shifted its focus towards the hardcore competitive scene and I no longer had the time to devote to learning the timing for pixel-perfect counters, I completely lost interest. I was going to pick up SF5, but the lack of singleplayer killed my interest. Actually there are lots of fighting game series I used to love but haven't touched in years; Tekken, Soul Calibur, Mortal Kombat, Killer Instinct, etc. I just can't do fighting games anymore I guess.

Street Fighter. I had every version of Street Fighter 2 and all the Street Fighter Alpha games, but as the game shifted its focus towards the hardcore competitive scene and I no longer had the time to devote to learning the timing for pixel-perfect counters, I completely lost interest. I was going to pick up SF5, but the lack of singleplayer killed my interest. Actually there are lots of fighting game series I used to love but haven't touched in years; Tekken, Soul Calibur, Mortal Kombat, Killer Instinct, etc. I just can't do fighting games anymore I guess.

Thank you. Love fighting games but have no interest in the FGC. The turning point for me was when I expressed my disappointment at the lack of arcade mode because that was how I loved playing the older Street Fighter games and someone mocked me for that. That's when I knew I want nothing to do with the SF community anymore.

Garlador

Mass Effect is my second-favorite franchise ever...

... And I have yet to truly play Andromeda. I even believe it won't be that bad, but the mishandling of the series from top-tier gaming royalty to second-string cast-off by EA is truly disappointing.

Dead Space 3 also tempered my love of Dead Space quite a bit, even though I adore Dead Space 1, Dead Space 2, and Dead Space: Extraction immensely.

And Mirror's Edge: Catalyst feels like it doesn't really understand what made the first Mirror's Edge special either.

... Those are all EA examples, I'm aware...

I was big into Gears of War once too - it was THE game that inspired me to take up 3D modelling - and I was lukewarm to the series by Gears 3 and haven't played Judgement despite getting it with GWG, and haven't touched Gears 4.

I enjoyed Halo 1-3 and ODST. Never played Reach or Halo 4, despite having those from GWG and MCC too, and haven't touched Halo 5.

Thank you. Love fighting games but have no interest in the FGC. The turning point for me was when I expressed my disappointment at the lack of arcade mode because that was how I loved playing the older Street Fighter games and someone mocked me for that. That's when I knew I want nothing to do with the SF community anymore.
It's crazy how often I hear this story...

... And let me chime in that, yep, same thing happened to me. I grew up loving Street Fighter, but I played the Arcade modes (in actual Arcades) so the shift away from solo content alienated me more and more, even as a vocal minority of the FGC hurled insults my way for playing it "like a casual" and that "versus mode is how SF is MEANT to be played", etc, etc.

"Play something else then, noob". So I did. Love all the solo content of Injustice, Mortal Kombat, classic Soul Calibur games, Tekken, Blazblue, etc.

... I still want Street Fighter to be more solo and casual friendly. I still have much love for the series, but more and more it sends me messages that they don't care for my brand of gameplay. I'm not competitive, so go somewhere else. It's frustrating when it's a series I rationally ask to be more accommodating, but the backlash from certain types of elite players is beyond tiresome, as if I'm offending them by suggesting you can have a great multiplayer AND single player game. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Final Fantasy. IX is a GOAT for me, but every main installment since (bar the MMOs) has felt like an exercise to varying degrees in why better graphics, voice acting and so in can actually actively hurt a series and take away from it. It's super telling to me that Bravely Default excited me more than any of the PS2 installments onwards. I know what I like about FF and jrpgs and what the balance for me is between technology, art, gameplay and allowing some of the elements of those worlds to be conjured up inside my mind.

Still enjoy the series mind, and remain engaged in the releases particularly the spin offs and side entries but that's what knocked me down to more of a casual fan.

ChaosXVI

Another Halo super-fan that has grown soft on it here. I played 3 and Reach to death when I was in college and after that. But 4 I played for a few months and quickly got bored of it. Something was lost, and 5 looked like more of the same. That combined with all the Xbox One online shit from back in 2013 made me the push I needed to jump ship to PS4.

Tales? Symphonia is still my favorite JRPG, Abyss is great too. I have a PS3, a system with tons of Tales games available for it. Still never got one. From like Graces onwards the games look so unremarkable, like they are the fast food of action rpgs or something. Maybe they lost something since Team Symphonia was disbanded. I'm really interested to play Vesperia(Fuck Namco) but the rest just look blah, especially the last few ones which look like poor men's Xenoblade with those clumsy 3D environments. I remember listening to Zestiria's amazing soundtrack, then I watched some gameplay. How did they go from some of the best dungeons in JRPGs so those huge empty spaces like it was Quest 64 or some shit. Also the characters look like randoms took out of some isekai light novel or whatever. Past games had cool and distinct designs, like you would be interested of getting to know those characters before you even played the game, kind of like FF chars. The modern Tales casts just don't inspire me anything

2d Mario. A long hiatus followed by New Super Mario Bros DS did the series in for me. Haven't played a 2d Mario since

NSMB WiiU was decent....stick with it, there some great levels in there and the world map is very Mario world influenced once you start discovering multiple exits on some levels as well as hidden areas and shortcuts. The art style finally clicked for me a little bit once it was all in HD.

Malawhur

God of war. I was a huge fan but eventually lost interest and have not touched ascension. It was because of the same formula being reused for 3 main and two handheld games. I am cautiously optimistic about the upcoming one though.

Jamiaro

Destiny. I was all over that for the first week of release. Then boredom hit me.

Before that... Propably Metal Gear Solid and Dead Space.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
This would be Final Fantasy for me. Bought Final Fantasy 4 ("II" in the US) when I was a kid. Was hooked, bought Mystic Quest and FF6 when they came out, read magazines with import impressions of 7, bought a PSX for 7, played the fan translations of 2, 3, and 5 when they came out (and doubled back to buy FF1 on NES). Later bought SFC carts of 4-6. Loved 8 and 9, and Tactics. Loved 10. Liked 10-2 a lot. Replayed early games frequently. Bought all the GBA ports. When 12 came out I dedicated a whole day to sit down and play it. Loved diving into a new installment of my favourite game.

Dirge of Cerberus was bad, Crisis Core is good but not amazing, Advent Children was bad... Took the day off work when 13 came out... And 13 was not good. Awful characters spouting terrible anime dialogue, core story concepts buried in weird text dumps instead of explained properly in the game, and absolutely nothing going on except cutscenes and fighting. Some might argue that 7 and Tactics and others might have suffered from this problem if they were voiced at the time. Yeah, maybe, but they weren't. Then Square Enix doubled down on 13 with 13-2 and LR for some reason. Then 15 took forever and nothing about it looked even a little bit interesting pre-release. I didn't bother to buy it. Maybe I will some day, but it's not super likely.

I still love all of the games that I loved. I'm playing FF10 as I write this post. Nothing's changed for me except the series itself. I would say the three things that would make me likely to get back to the series: (1) An indication that the game was being made for a global audience and that the person localizing the game to English was not being overruled by the original writers. (2) An indication that the developers were using modern technology and learning from other modern best-of-breed games instead of existing in a bubble. (3) An indication that the developers were choosing to return to a blend of fantasy and modernity more consistent with 6, 7, 8, and 10 than with 13 and 15.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Battlefront: 2015 just being a poor game in almost every aspect except for visuals and sound design. I've ranted about it before and could find it if anyone is interested.
Please do

Probably technically Pokemon, but only because I never got the Black/White sequels or a 3DS. I still battle on the ~daily on Showdown though, and I'm day one for Pokemon Switch, so.

Jawmuncher

I would say Metal Gear. After MGS4 I just couldn't care as much. However that's a lie when I think about it. Since I still play every game and keep tabs on the info. But I definitely don't partake in the community like I did prior so it still kinda counts.

Can't think of much after that though. Since very few game franchises hook me. Only other I can think of is mass effect. Was huge on 1-3. Enjoyed Andromeda but not enough to put the same amount of time into since I'm not big on open world quest design.

Halo 5

I loved the MP, but I used to love playing the campaigns and I even enjoyed 4's, but I absolutely couldn't get into 5's. I hated the squad system. It felt too easy and a bit annoying with the AI teamates. I didnt bother finishing the campaign and pretty much have zero interest in the next campaign, story, all of it.

Also, not a fan of prometheans at all. I was hoping for more from them but they just arent a good enemy for halo, or at least the way they implemented them in gameplay wasnt done right. The encounters suck. 343i's encounters are just bland and I feel like i dont even have to think things through before encountering enemies i can see whereas in h3, I'd have to plan some shit out.

Maximus P

Call of Duty.

I'm old enough to be a day one online player of the original call of duty, I even stuck it out through call of duty 3.

The games became to complicated. Too many perks, kill streaks, weapon skins, Easter eggs, classes. It all became way too overwhelming and seemed to cater towards a younger crowd rather than those wanting something more basic.Even zombie modes seems ridiculously complicated with Easter eggs, tasks and other things that take away from the gunplay.

I may go back this year, but I havent touched a call of duty game for nearly 3 years.

mikelarry

AC.... yearly release with little to no innovation with each release.

also didn't help as it seemed I was rushing to complete each release before the next one gets announced so just gave up after brotherhood.

I like what i am seeing of origins but very cautious, should they mess this one up and that will be it for me.

Kuro

Pokemon is probably the biggest one for me. I was crazy about it as a kid but it just didn't grow with me and I lost interest after Ruby/Sapphire. Its a shame but I'll just have to accept the games will always be for little kids.

Final Fantasy is another sore spot. Completely lost myself in those worlds but 12's mmo combat and boring story + the 1-2 combo of awful 13 and 15 kind of ruined the name for me. FFXIV is good at least but single player mainline FFs have just sucked balls for a while now.

I was really into Tales of Symphonia and Abyss too but again the series just hasn't evolved in a good way for me.

Another one I forgot about was Fire Emblem. Awakening was okay but had some worrying trends. The newest one's heavy focus on Waifus and all the recycled stuff really soured me on the series and now they're doing even more spin offs and shitty musou games.

Yudoken

Street Fighter V

The game has a lot of unsolved network issues, gameplay lacks variation and player specialty combos and bad pricing for content.

Also Capcoms constant late announcements/dlc releases is really annoying.

I may play it again when they release the super version.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Final Fantasy 12 was the nail in the coffin for Final Fantasy for me. Horrible game. The fact it's getting threads like "ff12 remaster made me realize how bad ff15 is" is halarious to me and shows how far the series has truely fallin when one POS is held up and used to show how bad the series is now.

Mandelbo

Littlebigplanet. Played 1 and 2 religiously for a few years, probably until just after Media Molecule moved on and handed the reigns to Sumo Digital. The community just sorta started dying out, and a lot of the creators I liked stopped playing. Obviously I grew up too, so I didn't have as much time to pour into making levels anymore.

Overall I feel that 3 was pretty meh as well - it didn't have the same spark as previous games for me. As well as that, the game was unacceptably buggy on launch with crashes and random save corruptions, and create mode got so overcomplicated that it missed the point of why LBP was so accessible in the first place. DLC took months to get carried over, a stark contrast to all LBP1 DLC being available in LBP2 immediately at launch, meaning it was impossible to edit levels that used DLC content and essentially locked you out of content you'd bought, which was a *bit* annoying.

I honestly hope LBP gets dropped now, or completely reinvented from scratch, cause there's just not many places it can really go now.
WHEN'S DREAMS COMING OUT MEDIA MOLECULE

Call of Duty.

I'm old enough to be a day one online player of the original call of duty, I even stuck it out through call of duty 3.

The games became to complicated. Too many perks, kill streaks, weapon skins, Easter eggs, classes. It all became way too overwhelming and seemed to cater towards a younger crowd rather than those wanting something more basic.Even zombie modes seems ridiculously complicated with Easter eggs, tasks and other things that take away from the gunplay.

I may go back this year, but I havent touched a call of duty game for nearly 3 years.

Same here. It got all crazy with too much shit and then all of the flyings and wall riding. It was too much for me. I gave up after the trash that was Ghosts. I might return this year as well since it's back to ww2 and doesnt seem to have all the future tech involved.

There hasn't been a further fall from grace, for me personally, than the moment 343i took over the Halo franchise.

Nintendo since the Wii is probably a close second.

Trials. Loved Evolution. Probably spent 1000hrs on it. Got into the top 1000 (which was tricky to do), Platinumed every track, made loads of tracks in the editor, Was awarded the builders spanner / wrench from the dev team. loved it. it was the best game ever. ....

Then Fusion came out. Suffered from the Ubification of Redlynx. All the good things from Evo were lost. They switched the forums without any notice and made them rubbish. the community basically all up'd and left and the game felt like a hollow shell of what it was. Redlynx Should have stayed independent.

Battlefield. I was a huge fan of it from BF1942 to BF3, then I just sort of fell off. I know the series is still great, I have friends who play the heck out of it, but for some reason, I just can't get back into it. Shooter fatigue, I guess?

retroman

Street Fighter's art style hasn't exactly been my cup of tea since the fourth one, and I'm sad to say it greatly diminishes my enjoyment of the newer games.

i was a pretty big civilization fan

but civ5 (with expansions) and civ6 are just unbelievably awful

the devs seem to have no clue what made civ good or how to even make a working strategy game

also, zelda. but that's mostly about getting older and not really caring too much about some scripted single player stuff that just gets some new levels once every 5 years

Top Bottom