• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Series S-style consoles ‘have not had great results’, says PlayStation boss

Sleepwalker

Is there fewer digital versions in channels. What is that based on? If it's the ability to get one I think it might because they are selling out faster than the disc version. Also the reason they released a digital version is obvious. You can't sell your digital games. Same reason why the series S is digital only.

There's less DE to go around apparently.

Tripolygon

Banned
Reading comprehension.

“One thing that can be said is that if you look at the history of the game business, creating a special low priced, reduced spec console is something that has not had great results in the past. We’ve considered that option and seen other executives who have attempted this discover how problematic it is.”
He is saying the lower spec version will not sell as well as people think.

The 2 I can think of are.

PS3 - 40GB vs PS3 60GB, the 40GB version was discontinued
WiiU 8GB vs WiiU 32GB, Nintendo recalled the 8GB version

Last edited:

Yoboman

Yet both were still beat by a console much weaker and only released a year earlier. My point being that

How many cheaper lower spec special edition of consoles even exist for that to be a claim? I legit can't think of any point in time where a console maker released a powerful version and weaker version of a console at the same time. I wouldn't really count something like the Xbox 360 that didn't come with a harddrive or the PS3 with less harddrive space, same consoles and there were ways to fix that. Wouldn't count the GBA micro, not really weaker, or the third rendition of the Sega Genesis that didn't support the 32X or CD. On that note, wouldn't count the 32X or CD as those are add-ons.

I saw the word special, but because I can't think of a time where that happened in the same way it's happening with the Series S and X, I chose to ignore it, otherwise he'd be referring to something that didn't exist.
They were beat because PS2 had a far better library, released earlier and had far better brand recognition. Power was only a factor of coming out 18 months later

PS2 wasn't even cheaper. It launched at $299, same as Xbox and Gamecube was $199. Which was $100 less than PS2 at the same time. Gamecube went to $99 as early as 2003, it was nearly always cheaper than PS2 and Xbox - which generally maintained the same price as eachother.

LarknThe4th

True it has not been attempted before and we will know the outcome of this a few years down the road.
He is a suit he probably does not know that in such detail as someone like mark Cerny.
I am not defending Jim Ryan, but low spec hw is not my cup of tea and I know people that even if they only play soccer games and a few games here and there they always go for the best hw on consoles. Even children nowadays are very tech savvy they will know the difference between an underpowered console such as series s and a powerful one such as XSX OR PS5. And THEY will ask SANTA for xsx or Ps5. I am not trying to predict what will happen. I just do not see value on xss Even if the thing was 200 US dollars. Its like low end phones that are trying to be smart, the experience is lackluster.
And this thread is about him falsely claiming the Series S is the same as the PS3 20Gb or Arcade 360

He knows he is bullshiting but he just keeps talking

Your opinion on the Series S is of course yours and I have no problem with it I'm not a big fan of it myself, but this thread isnt about what we think or even want, it's about this clown and his misinformation, their is no previous example like this simple as really

tkscz

They were beat because PS2 had a far better library, released earlier and had far better brand recognition. Power was only a factor of coming out 18 months later

PS2 wasn't even cheaper. It launched at $299, same as Xbox and Gamecube was $199. Which was $100 less than PS2 at the same time. Gamecube went to $99 as early as 2003, it was nearly always cheaper than PS2 and Xbox - which generally maintained the same price as eachother.

Yeah I thought about price and thought I deleted that reply to your post but it still got in there (which it why it just ends at "my point being" with no point at the end).

This "PlayStation boss" is about to experience the biggest fucking shock of his life. Not everywhere is USA, Japan or UK.

Last edited:

NullZ3r0

Banned
There's no context to be had because there has not been a "special low priced, reduced spec console" in the past to draw a comparison with.

He's literally talking out of his ass.
The thing is that this model works in other CE segments. Of all people, being the CEO of Sony, he should know this.

jaysius

Banned
It's called flooding the market, it's how you get high attach rates. It's not about delivering something good to the end user, it's about spreading the brand at any cost.

Aion002

Has that ever happened before? I mean, from the PS1 generation to today?

I don't think so.... That's some huge bs Jimbo.

ExpandKong

Banned
Has that ever happened before? I mean, from the PS1 generation to today?

I don't think so.... That's some huge bs Jimbo.

That's what I was trying to think of, reading the OP...mid-cycle refreshes have been a thing but I can't think of even one time where a system was launching with two widely different SKUs like this. I guess hard drive sizes were the thing during the PS3/360 launch but that's not really comparable, is it?

Aion002

That's what I was trying to think of, reading the OP...mid-cycle refreshes have been a thing but I can't think of even one time where a system was launching with two widely different SKUs like this. I guess hard drive sizes were the thing during the PS3/360 launch but that's not really comparable, is it?
Yep.

The Xbox Series is something quite new and unique, we indeed never had a new generation console having two so different specifications.

He is just making things up.

Is he a Michael Scott cover?

FIxN.gif

Last edited:

Self

There where quite a few console versions with lower HDD capacity and connections/features if I remember correctly. Don't know how they sold though.

Danny 117

Has any of the console manufacturers ever released two different spec consoles at the same time? I can't think of any off the top of my head. And no, not talking about hard drive capacity or lack of BD drive.

Last edited:
Emphasis on "had." Markets change, just cause something didn't work in the past doesn't mean it won't work today. I mean, I'm sure they've done the research. It's also good to hear that they've actually looked into an "S" route. At least they didn't completely dismiss the idea, ultimately they did. But if they've looked into it there could be a chance that there may be one in the future, especially if the Series S does gangbusters!

Shmunter

Sort off is. 360 tard pack without a hdd was a massively idiotic move

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Its nothing like the wii or PS4 lol. Some of you are dummies reaching because Phil has had his butt handed to him these last few months.

Preoder numbers = Ryan laughing today

PS. he needs to stop talking though after the Backwards compatibility talk lol. Not happy

Surprisingly, he's right.

People conveniently forget that both the PS3 and 360 had two launch models; the reduced ones being notably inferior to the standard models. Releasing the Series S makes sense from a savings standpoint, but for developers -- a number of whom have already commented publicly in an unflattering manner about it -- having to cater to a less capable model is going to introduce a lot of headaches.

This is exactly why cross-gen games can and do hold games back. If developers have to make sure their next-gen game runs well on last-gen hardware, they can't just flip a switch and have it all work flawlessly. Design decisions have to be centered around "this thing needs to work on oldass tech", and that's more time + energy + money towards a version of a game that won't look or play the best.

Iced Arcade

Sort off is. 360 tard pack without a hdd was a massively idiotic move
The arcade version was suck a terrible terrible thing.

Was $100 cheaper, didn't include a proprietary memory card which was almost cost the amount ya saved. Not to mention no HDD = no online play.

Has there ever been another generation where a manufacturer released two versions of a console on release day, with one being much weaker than the other? I can't recall any other situation like this, so I'm not sure what he's comparing to.

And no, he didn't mention the Wii anywhere in the interview. I don't know why OP decided to put it up. He just cites "market research" as his source for why Sony never released an underpowered version of their main console at launch.

Akuji

i guess u guys got it all wrong, hes talking about xbox consoles didnt have much sucess.

i think hes right

jokes aside ... yeah wii did great and was catering to a financially less gifted? audience.
Can work but i dont think the XSS will go through the roof like some seem to expect.

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
I know this mofo ain't talking about lower specced consoles. I remember the 2 different PS3 models at launch and then the 4 different PS3 models a few years later with and without BC and hard drive space. Dude should just shut up and stay in his lane.

Last edited:

soulbait

Not fond of all-digital consoles at all, but at least with the PS5 Digital Edition, you're only losing the optical drive. You still get the same performance and stock hard drive as the standard PS5. Every PS5 owner still gets the same performance. With Xbox Series S, you're losing the optical drive, you're getting a smaller hard drive and a lower spec machine.
The only “positives” are the lower entry price and compact form factor.

Give it a year or two and there will be a digital only XSX.

Neo_game

I hope he is right. If the SS fails everyone wins. Personally I think next gen has been quite underwhelming especially if PS5 and X are the pro version. These console should be base models and Pro version should release some 3-4yrs down the line ?

I think the Wii is actually a good picture for this. A lot of people bought the Wii who were not traditionally videogamers. Hell you can still find them in a lot of retirement homes because they were a great way to encourage movement and community in these places. The reality is they are all looking for the next big think, whether it be motion controls, VR, streaming, haptic feedback, ECT.. the search to capitalize on the untapped market.

Zathalus

Not sure why the Wii or Gamecube are on the front page, but anyway, the equivalent here would be how well the PS3 20GB or Xbox 360 no harddrive SKUs sold vs the more expensive ones. Even then it's not a fully apt comparison, as those were the same equivalent power.

Kerlurk

Banned

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
His words

The point of referencing the Wii, Playstation 2, Playstation 1 and Switch was that he is objectively wrong. Weaker consoles have been successful

The PlayStation 2 and PSOne were cutting edge consoles at the time they were released. The Wii was also not a cut down low specced version of a "super Wii".

His comment doesn't make sense unless he's talking about the Xbox One SAD (and that doesn't exactly fit the description either), but neither does yours.

Last edited:

Kerlurk

Banned

Last edited:

ExpandKong

Banned
People who are targetted by offers such as the Series S are definitely video-game enthusiasts that go on video-game websites.

I mean I'm thinking about getting one just coz it's considerably cheaper and I don't have or want a 4K TV any time soon, and most of my previous-gens XBox library is digital so no loss there on the disc drive. I'm just waiting for more assurance that, on a 1080p display, the performance difference between the S and X is minimal.

I'm not preordering anything though.

JLB

Banned

There's less DE to go around apparently.

haha, the good old "We have a low price option!"(good luck getting one)
Anecdotically, I recall when Microsoft released Xbox One in Argentina. It posted some ads with a very low price. Buuut, buuut. Theres was a quite small fine print at the bottom: "At that price until total promotion units (45) are sold".

Last edited:
Top Bottom