• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Series X and Samsung TVs have Freesync Premium Pro

Vasto

SamsungQLED_HERO.jpg

Last edited:

Kuranghi

When sync drops below the minimum range for Freesync, say to 30hz and it starts doing this LFC I've read about and doubling the framerate to sync to 60hz, what does that look like? If the frames are being doubled does it affect the way the game looks in motion? Or it just has more latency?

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Between the prices for the new Neo QLED starting at $1799.00 and Samsung moving on to OLED after years of bashing the tech for burn-in, and the various other issues with modern Samsung Panels (like the dirty screen effect, shitty motion compared to LG) I doubt these will be worth it considering the competition

Also I really wonder what TV/AV company is behind this "Stop the FOMO" channel its obviously not a organic youtuber the channel growth is abnormal its been called out various times by other more reputable youtubers

STARSBarry

Gold Member
LG OLEDs or fuck off...

I mean thats up to LG, there is no reason not to implement it outside of cost, if you think a feature set that improves gaming on a TV is worthless unless your favorite manufacturer implements it, I dunno what to tell you. Looks like the new Sony and Samsung have it together this year.

Last edited:

JimboJones

When sync drops below the minimum range for Freesync, say to 30hz and it starts doing this LFC I've read about and doubling the framerate to sync to 60hz, what does that look like? If the frames are being doubled does it affect the way the game looks in motion? Or it just has more latency?
Honestly just feels like 30fps, on a normal 60htz monitor playing at exactly 30fps your frames are being doubled as well just with LFC it means 31= 62, 32 = 64 etc, less stutter for games in that region but still feels like low framerate.
I'm not sure about latency effects.

I found there can be issues where if your game is just at the border of LFC being activated like say an unstable 48 - 47fps, going below 47 will cause LFC to kick in cause the refresh rate to jump to 94hz, then when it hits 48 it adjusts back to 48hz it can cause visible flickering.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Honestly just feels like 30fps, on a normal 60htz monitor playing at exactly 30fps your frames are being doubled as well just with LFC it means 31= 62, 32 = 64 etc, less stutter for games in that region but still feels like low framerate.
I'm not sure about latency effects.

I found there can be issues where if your game is just at the border of LFC being activated like say an unstable 48 - 47fps, going below 47 will cause LFC to kick in cause the refresh rate to jump to 94hz, then when it hits 48 it adjusts back to 48hz it can cause visible flickering.
I think the function of the frame doubling is to get inside the freesync/vrr window again, even if a game ran at 20 fps, the doubling takes it to 40 Hz which the display can show smoother than 20 fps@30hz

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
my tv supports DV and HDR10 yet i always disable DV, i hate the way it looks.
I just hate that the industry got together to support a free standard then Dolby "noped" it w/ their pay version of HDR. They did one-up HDR10 but HDR10+ pretty much solved that... but the Dolby name still makes for a nice logo to put on your product I guess if you are willing to pay the license fee.

Similar to FreeSync vs. GSync.. these industries are annoying AF lol

We'd be better off if DolbyVision was firmware we could choose to buy on all sets who have a chip capable of it.

Last edited:

JimboJones

I think the function of the frame doubling is to get inside the freesync/vrr window again, even if a game ran at 20 fps, the doubling takes it to 40 Hz which the display can show smoother than 20 fps@30hz
oh yeah I get that, I think some people have a misconception its going to make 30fps seem like 60fps or something.

That aside my Series X and Samsung 65" run 120fps games with HDR just lovely. I have zero issues with tear, fps, settings/auto modes and just love how the TV remote can control my xbox too. All round a happy buy for me/family. Switching content vs TV settings is automatic and recalled very well too. I doesn't matter about the input or content changing within a device or Series X, it just knows which settings to apply and off I go. I'm barely ever in the TV settings menu, which is brilliant and just the experience I want.

Shmunter

I’ll be watching from the sidelines hoping Samsung has built a proper set without inverse ghosting, poor dimming, and dse. 2020 was a disaster.

Top Bottom