• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Series X or PS5?

AnotherOne

I work full time and I go to the gym to work out, I'm lucky if I ever get 20 hours a week to play video games, as an adult who works full-time I can't justify owning both PlayStation and Xbox when in reality I don't have the friggin time. I mean it's just ridiculous how do you have the time for that?

I mean I'm lucky to get 8 hours of sleep every night, usually I don't, my life is super busy I'm working all the time. So I only own one console and it's going to be Xbox. Hell, even as a child I never got to own two consoles!!!!
After work I try squeeze in an hour or two and weekends I have can get up to 3 hours of game time, takes me a while to beat games though.

Out of the next gen consoles i own the ps5 disc version and also the series s, i would advise you strongly to get the Xbox series X/S if you can only afford one console, otherwise try get a series S and ps5... xbox is defo the place to be right now and looking at games coming down the road id say also xbox is the place to be.

Ps5.

79HJWn8.gif
Can someone photoshop Cerny becoming the Grinch?

Thirty7ven

Banned
Let’s be honest, if money is a consistent problem and all you do is play multiplayer shooters and have no friends on PSN? Get the Xbox.

If you still love games, single player games and cool gaming shit like adaptive triggers and haptic feedback? Get a PlayStation.

And that’s real.

DaGwaphics

With rumors going around that Sony has no games now (games disappear when they release on PC), I don't see how it even figures in.

Seriously though, both systems are great but GP just makes Xbox stand above, especially once everything starts to really hit.

Jooxed

Gold Member
I have both, I find myself using my series X more for Multiplayer Games and my PS5 for cinematic single player games. Then switch for portable. Right now if I had to choose I would go with the Series X because of game pass. PS5 has Demon Souls though.

Hunnybun

It really just comes down to which exclusives you prefer.

Xbox has caught up there a lot but are probably a year or so behind Sony in actually getting the big games out. But you'll eventually get them at a great value thanks to game pass.

There's not a lot in it, it's more just a matter of taste.

Spiderman or Gears of War?
Horizon or Fable?
Wolverine or Perfect Dark?
God of War or Starfield?
Returnal or Doom?

Etc etc.

Topher

Gold Member

Xbox has caught up there a lot but are probably a year or so behind Sony in actually getting the big games out. But you'll eventually get them at a great value thanks to game pass.

Horizon or Fable?
God of War or Starfield?
Returnal or Doom?

Etc etc.

Best post so far, I think. Don't let the platform lead you to games. Let the games lead you to the platform.

Tschumi

PS5.. i own a ps4 pro and a Xbox Series s and i have decided that i will get a PS5 next after trying this series s.

Xbox has no games that PS doesn't have equivalents to, and PS has more games besides. I don't play online which negates a potential winning feature for xbox... Xbox is fantastic for emulation, but I've got a series s for that. The PS store is better for me, living in Japan but buying with an Australian bank card with no issue, far far better. Xbox shits the bed for no good reason, stuck in the 00s.

I love my series s.

I don't need an x.

I need to upgrade my ps4 pro to a PS5 for the best possible contemporary gaming. And the best future releases, imo.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
The console war’s bad blood equals suspended accounts, the PS5 is a must-buy you can’t miss God of War, I’m not sure Kojima is giving Microsoft hugs either.
Neil Degrasse Tyson Mic Drop GIF

Hunnybun

PS5.. i own a ps4 pro and a Xbox Series s and i have decided that i will get a PS5 next after trying this series s.

Xbox has no games that PS doesn't have equivalents to, and PS has more games besides. I don't play online which negates a potential winning feature for xbox... Xbox is fantastic for emulation, but I've got a series s for that. The PS store is better for me, living in Japan but buying with an Australian bank card with no issue, far far better. Xbox shits the bed for no good reason, stuck in the 00s.

I love my series s.

I don't need an x.

I need to upgrade my ps4 pro to a PS5 for the best possible contemporary gaming. And the best future releases, imo.

How far can you go with the emulation on Xbox? Can you run Switch games? I've always wanted to play a version of BOTW that didn't look fucking horrible on a big tv.

Bramble

Wow the biggest scam in gaming and the worst thing to happen this gen that there is an affordable console for casual gamers, people on a budget and kids. What a hot take. Well I'm glad you didn't have a say and I'm pretty happy you were completely wrong about the systems success.

You'll hopefully learn one day that devices with lower speced video cards don't hold back anything and you can't point to one game that had levels omitted or characters dropped because the XSS exists. Just like no one can point to the existence of the RTX 3060 holding back PC gaming. You are free to have an irrational hate and fear of the XSS and gamers around the world will appreciate an affordable console to play current gen games on.

Dude. The fact it hardly has next gen storage and no disc drive and it uses proprietary expensive expansion cards automatically makes it the most expensive console in the long run. Especially if you want to play AAA multiplats that you can’t rent. You can earn back the price difference with Series X in no time if you resell your and get a lot more performance at the same time. That’s why it’s a scam. No educated individual with a sensible mind buys a Series S as their main console because it’s “affordable”, unless it functions as a Roblox/F2P machine and nothing else.

Romulus

I own a ps5 but seems XSX was the better purchase if I didn't own a decent PC. Xbox has a great emulator box along with the Bethesda deal/gamepass/increased focus on games.
I'm sure the ps5 will be worth it because I'm a VR gamer.

Gravemind

Xbox.

My PS5 is pretty much my girlfriend's Netflix machine for my living room right now. Haven't played a game on it since Returnal. It will be nice when some of their better exclusives start coming out, but so far the Series X has offered a better overall experience.

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
Red Dead Redemption 2

Series X 30 FPS

PS5 30 FPS

Stadia 60 FPS

Ho ho ho, your ugly 500-1000 dollars consoles are owned by Google Stadia.

53e4f646-c06b-4dda-b6b8-132b1398d68b.gif

Google Stadia... ffs

The PC master race is laughing at you, console warriors 🥰🤗

svbarnard

Banned
Red Dead Redemption 2

Series X 30 FPS

PS5 30 FPS

Stadia 60 FPS

Ho ho ho, your ugly 500-1000 dollars consoles are owned by Google Stadia.

53e4f646-c06b-4dda-b6b8-132b1398d68b.gif

Google Stadia... ffs

The PC master race is laughing at you, console warriors 🥰🤗
Cloud gaming bothers the shit out of me though, you do realize it adds input lag? You do know what input lag is right? The last thing you want when gaming is more input lag and there's no getting around it with cloud gaming.

ManaByte

Gold Member
No. It's new advanced technology is what it is. I'm being serious actually. Most people have never heard of mesh shaders and thats because it's cutting edge technology that's going to revolutionize how GPUs compute.

Curious what the first game using them will be. Starfield?

svbarnard

Banned

Horizon or Fable?
God of War or Starfield?
Returnal or Doom?

Etc etc.
You forgot to mention the next elder scrolls or the next fallout, also don't forget Avowed it's so supposed to be an Elder Scrolls like video game. Yeah Microsoft really has shored up their first party titles.

svbarnard

Banned
Curious what the first game using them will be. Starfield?
I don't think so because Starfield has been in development for several years now and from what I understand the games studios are only now in the process of updating their game engines for mesh shaders.

svbarnard

Banned
Too early I think, Alex from DF speculated that it might be utilized at the end of this gen and that we probably won’t see wider adoption until next generation of consoles, IIRC.
LOL get da fuck outta here it won't take that long. No way it'll take that long. Maybe 2023 we could see games use mesh shaders.

skit_data

LOL get da fuck outta here it won't take that long. No way it'll take that long. Maybe 2023 we could see games use mesh shaders.

It’s around the 1:04:00 mark

Ok, it was a slight simplification/wrong interpretation from my side. He guesses it will be around 4-5 years before we see actual differences between Primitive Shaders and Mesh Shaders.

Yeah it’s possible we will see it in the following years, but from the sound of it it’s not something that will see wide adoption until at least some years from now.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

"I still think Sony has some better single player content like Ghosts, Spider-man etc. Fast loading etc."

Microsoft owns Bethesda which makes some of the greatest single player games ever made. Microsoft now has 23 first party studios, Halo infinite has a single player campaign, gears of wars 5 has a single player campaign, one of Microsoft's first party studios is making a new "elder scrolls like" game called Avowed.

I mean this is irrelevant if you also own a gaming PC but I can't afford to spend $1,000 on a GPU so I'm just a console player and I play Xbox only. I mean Microsoft owns so many game studios now you can't say Sony has the better single player games anymore. Aren't you aware of the new Bethesda game starfield that's coming out soon? Starfield is basically a single player game and guess what you can't play it on PlayStation.

Wow Mate, you seem a bit green. I think I called it pretty even and was basically Switzerland in my post. Get whichever system can be found first. Let me know when you have some release dates for all these great Bethesda games coming in the future. You mentioned your Xbox only, so I am not sure how you can comment on the PS5 and it's games. Keep it green.

Tschumi

How far can you go with the emulation on Xbox? Can you run Switch games? I've always wanted to play a version of BOTW that didn't look fucking horrible on a big tv.
Sadly not, emulation isn't easy and they're a long way off from emulating switch in a way that's easily replicated. But you can play GameCube/ps2 games very well (some of them are simply not easy to run smoothly because of the way they're built)

The cool thing is you can boost their internal resolution massively, add anti aliasing and shaders, so the games look incredible and fit any tv.

Just last night i was playing the PSP title "gta Chinatown wars" and it was incredibly clear on my 4k tv, looked like a full console title. I prefer emulating SSX3 to buying it off the Xbox store now because the GameCube version looks pretty much as good but has better controls lol

reinking

Gold Member
If you have a somewhat decent PC get a PS5. If you have a potato PC get a XBSX unless you really like the Sony exclusives. I personally do so I go PC>PS5>XBSX but that is what I like.

Genx3

Xbox has the better controller and since you have a lot of catching up to do I recommend you get an XSX and Game Pass to catch you up on a ton of games.

Also not only can the Xbox Series consoles play OG XBox, 360 and XB1 games but using an emulator you can also play PlayStation games on Series consoles.

Really can't go wrong with either.

Last edited:

Fat Frog

Cloud gaming bothers the shit out of me though, you do realize it adds input lag? You do know what input lag is right? The last thing you want when gaming is more input lag and there's no getting around it with cloud gaming.
2e0d10bd-2a5d-401e-b509-c89adb794632.png

60 FPS on many cloud games allows Stadia to beat a load of 30 FPS games on current gen in terms of latency. (next gen clnsoles often have the edge over Stadia though)

Plus, the 120 FPS GFN RTX 3080 tiers push the limits of cloud latency.

Annoying cloud Latency will be soon ancient history.

Last edited:

svbarnard

Banned
2e0d10bd-2a5d-401e-b509-c89adb794632.png

60 FPS on many cloud games allows Stadia to beat a load of 30 FPS games on current gen in terms of latency. (next gen clnsoles often have the edge over Stadia though)

Plus, the 120 FPS GFN RTX 3080 tiers push the limits of cloud latency.

Annoying cloud Latency will be soon ancient history.

I'm not too familiar with this area can you help me understand? So how will cloud latency soon be ancient history? Is it possible to do 120fps or ever higher at 240fps through the cloud? I mean the data has to physically travel miles away to a data center to be processed and then shipped back to your home, how is it possible to do this stuff without super high input lag?

svbarnard

Banned
Wow Mate, you seem a bit green. I think I called it pretty even and was basically Switzerland in my post. Get whichever system can be found first. Let me know when you have some release dates for all these great Bethesda games coming in the future. You mentioned your Xbox only, so I am not sure how you can comment on the PS5 and it's games. Keep it green.
Bro you even forgot to mention the next Fable lol. Microsoft has an aweseome lineup of games period!!!!!

Ozzie666

Bro you even forgot to mention the next Fable lol. Microsoft has an aweseome lineup of games period!!!!!

Is that 2023 or 2024? None of the fables appealed to me, but will try on game pass. I never disputed they have an awesome line up of future up coming games, there is a lot of potential there for sure, never said there wasn't.

Chronos24

If you're going from a 360 and a PS2 to current gen, you're in for some GREAT content no matter what system you get. Value and quantity you'll get from a series X by far. If you're going great exclusives, immersive gaming such as with their controller, then the PS5. I have both and as a poster said earlier you really can't go wrong.

Lupin25

PS5 (PS+ / PSNow) personally, from everything that is currently being offered.

You skipped the previous two generations?

You can’t miss out on The Last of Us, the Uncharted games, God of War (2018) & Bloodborne then.

It’s hard to say without truly knowing your budget and preferences, though.

If you’re more into shooters, racers and on a smaller budget, I’d say the Xbox Series X + XGP.

If you’re more into the mostly single-player games or multiplayer, I’d suggest PS5 + PS Plus & Now (because of the controller & larger community).

Or simply get both if you have equal time and money for each.

Last edited:
Xbox + gamepass...you good for the year literally. Halo, forza, hades, yakuza series...you legit wont have to buy a game probably till 2022 summer.

Tschumi

...i own a ps4 pro and xbox Series s.. to me there is no question, if you want the best games go ps5, if you want to play the best games from og xbox, GameCube, ps2, and basically all other retro consoles in HD, go series s and use retro arch.

I've zero interest in whatsitcalled, gamepass, id never play all those games anyway... So yeah that's my input

TheZink

I have both. Definitely prefer the Xbox. Really only use the PS5 for exclusives. I also have Gamepass Ultimate paid through Nov 2024. Have never paid full price for Gamepass.

dano1

A Sheep
With PlayStation + and a PS5. You get this day one!!

Plus Collection.

From Worldwide Studios:

• Bloodborne
  • Days Gone
  • Detroit: Become Human
  • God of War
  • Infamous Second Son
  • Ratchet and Clank
  • The Last Guardian
  • The Last of Us Remastered
  • Until Dawn
  • Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End
From our third-party publishers and developers:

• Batman: Arkham Knight
  • Battlefield 1
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops III – Zombies Chronicles Edition
  • Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy
  • Fallout 4
  • Final Fantasy XV Royal Edition
  • Monster Hunter: World
  • Mortal Kombat X
  • Persona 5
  • Resident Evil 7 biohazard
And yes I know there is gamepss for X box. So don’t even start that 😂

Last edited:

Corndog

Banned
Dude. The fact it hardly has next gen storage and no disc drive and it uses proprietary expensive expansion cards automatically makes it the most expensive console in the long run. Especially if you want to play AAA multiplats that you can’t rent. You can earn back the price difference with Series X in no time if you resell your and get a lot more performance at the same time. That’s why it’s a scam. No educated individual with a sensible mind buys a Series S as their main console because it’s “affordable”, unless it functions as a Roblox/F2P machine and nothing else.
You can just swap out games to an external if you don’t want to pay for ssd.

Fat Frog

I'm not too familiar with this area can you help me understand? So how will cloud latency soon be ancient history? Is it possible to do 120fps or ever higher at 240fps through the cloud? I mean the data has to physically travel miles away to a data center to be processed and then shipped back to your home, how is it possible to do this stuff without super high input lag?

Well, i thought exactly like you years ago.

Nonetheless, Stadia and GFN have proven me wrong. (i don't even have a google data center in my country yet)

I cannot tell you how it's working so well but tons of gamers admitted it feels like local gaming(at least 60 fps games).

You can feel a tiny lag for 30 FPS games or if you're really too far from a data center but GFN/Stadia techs are working very well. Indeed, you'll probably have better results on a 30 FPS game on a console (VS 30 FPS cloud) but 60 FPS cloud gaming helps reducing the gap or even having lower latency.

120 FPS is even pushing the limits of Geforce Now's latency...

In what country are you living ?
If you have a gmail account, you can test Stadia's latency without credit card, there are free demos...
You could have a tiny lag with an bluetooth xbox controller but it will be removed with a Stadia optimized controller (using Wifi instead)

Last edited:

Hey Blinkin

I don't think you can go wrong with either. I have the Series X with Gamepass Ultimate and I've always got something to play.

I don't have a fuck to give about which console wins the 'war' but I feel like the Xbox experience will be the most enjoyable this gen. The value it offers is amazing.

I will eventually own a PS5 because I enjoy PS exclusives and I'm excited for Ghost of Tsushima 2.

Which console do you think gives you the most value personally? Pick it!

svbarnard

Banned
...i own a ps4 pro and xbox Series s.. to me there is no question, if you want the best games go ps5, if you want to play the best games from og xbox, GameCube, ps2, and basically all other retro consoles in HD, go series s and use retro arch.

I've zero interest in whatsitcalled, gamepass, id never play all those games anyway... So yeah that's my input

"to me there is no question, if you want the best games go ps5,"

This is a false statement. PS5 won't be getting any game coming from Bethesda which includes the awesome looking new game starfield, or the next elder scrolls or the next fallout or the next Doom, or the next fable or Halo, Gears of war, or Avowed which is supposed to be a first person RPG

Microsoft has 23 first party studios and many titles still haven't been announced.

I'm going to finish this with, MICROSOFT OWNS BETHESDA! So how can you possibly say PS5 has the better games?

p.s. forgot to mention the new perfect dark.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Simple.

1. Look at which systems has the games you want. Most games are multiplat, so basically comes down to first party studio exclusives

2. Look into which gamepad layout you like

3. Look into overall cost if money is an issue (games, MP sub plans, game service sub plans)

4. Do you dabble with PC gaming, but prefer console? Most first party Xbox games are cross plat where you buy once and get it for both platforms. PS isnt geared that way

Last edited:
Top Bottom