• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SERIESFamitsu Sales: 12/21/20 – 1/3/21: Switch 590K, PS5 23K, XSX 339.

Bodomism

Banned
Hardware sales
Nintendo Switch - 590,294
Playstation 5 - 23,820
Playstation 4 - 30,594
Xbox Series X/S - 339

Software Sales (followed by lifetime sales)

1. [NSW] Momotaro Dentetsu: Showa, Heisei, Reiwa mo Teiban! (Konami, 11/19/20) – 459,243 (1,423,450)
  2. [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Nintendo, 03/20/20) – 202,132 (6,472,485)
  3. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo, 04/28/17) – 152,052 (3,541,036)
  4. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure (Nintendo, 10/18/19) – 129,275 (2,157,719)
  5. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Nintendo, 12/07/18) – 108,052 (4,068,039)
  6. [NSW] Pikmin 3 Deluxe (Nintendo, 10/30/20) – 91,336 (499,156)
  7. [NSW] Super Mario Party (Nintendo, 10/05/18) – 86,723 (1,774,663)
  8. [NSW] Minecraft (Microsoft, 06/21/18) – 85,989 (1,740,451)
  9. [NSW] Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics (Nintendo, 06/05/20) – 85,027 (565,003)
  10. [NSW] Super Mario 3D All-Stars (Nintendo, 09/18/20) – 70,144 (525,613)

8 weeks

PS3: 466.716
DC: 393.374
WonderSwan: 280.543
PS5: 265.782
NGC: 262.320

XBO: 34.648
XBS/X: 31.558

tenor.gif

PACMAAAAAAAAAN!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 21 - December 27

M9w93nK.png

NINTENDO: 91,6%
PLAYSTATION: 8,3%
XBOX: ~ 0,1%

December 28 - January 03

oKsOcMf.png

NINTENDO: 91,6%
PLAYSTATION: 8,3%
XBOX: ~ 0,1%

PS1: 18,85 m
NSW: 17,652,495 m
SFC: 17,17 m

DefiantFaroffAvians.webp

Last edited:

Bodomism

Banned
Full 2020 hardware market share by console manufacturer in Japan (based on Famitsu thus it considers 52 weeks):
qmshdYI.jpg

Very likely the most dominated year ever in the history of the japanese console market.
Can't wait for software publishers chart, especially with Nintendo strongest yearly software sales ever.

Microsoft is a joke. If they cared about Japan, they would've shipped 30k for launch and 10k after.
Since the holidays there is literally no stock.

What would 10k less units in the US do?
But for Japan it would make all the difference.
Demand is there during the holidays. Not after.
But muhh worldwide launch...

Fredrik

Microsoft is a joke. If they cared about Japan, they would've shipped 30k for launch and 10k after.

To be fair I’m not sure there are units anywhere. It’s a mess of a launch on all fronts really. Felt so weird to hear the Larry Hyrb Phil Spencer end of the year talk when they said the figures looked great for the hollidays. I mean if it’s nowhere to be found, how can the figures look good? Were they talking about scalpers figures?

tillbot8

Banned
Damnnnnn thats just domination. Maybe dick measuring by tittyflops aint the be all and end all, its all about the 'package' Nintendo bringing the big hairy balls to Japan!

Jesus the next-gen consoles JUST launched in Japan and now they're dead there :pie_roffles: . Looks like the status quo of Japan being NintendoLand isn't changing whatsoever for the foreseeable future.

In a way I'm actually kind of happy about that since they seem to be the only one not actively suppressing/censoring Japanese games hypocritically.

Hey genius, the PS5 is pretty much DOA in Japan as well. Not even going to touch PS4 LTD numbers with that kind of performance.

I would say that's the bigger focus point out of the two since it's a pretty forgone conclusion Xbox just doesn't trend well in Japan (though it'd be nice to see MS try a bit harder; current slate is too Western-focused. Mostly the same can be said of Sony's).

Last edited:

Orta

Banned
Anyone know when post-Christmas US and EU hardware sales are released?

The Switch is surely not too far from the 90m mark now?

Last edited:

Kacho

Gold Member

The attach rate in other territories is likely higher which is why they get priority over Japan. The Xbox doesn't have the kind of library that appeals to the Japanese market.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
They don't care about Japan, they pretty much gave up on it without admitting as such. They will probably try to get more and more Japanese games on the Xbox (Final Fantasy was just confirmed to still be coming to Game Pass in 2021), but they will not actively try and sell more hardware there.

I think it's pretty clear now for the foreseeable future Japan is purely portable land, be it Switch or mobile.

MonarchJT

Banned
well in all honesty console makers outside of Nintendo don't really gives a shit about jp market. they are more interested in developers than in the market (in total decline for decades now) itself. even PlayStation is practically deciding to give up on that market (and we're talking about a Japanese company!) there must be a reason. At this point, I prefer Sony and Microsoft to spend money in markets where users are interested in AAA titles that help and push technology forward instead of 2d pokemon 399 (with all due respect to the franchise huh!)

Last edited:

ExKing

says GAF is a racist board but still wants to be a part of it...
Those PS5 numbers are abysmal.
I expect the likes of Capcom, Square Enix, Namco Bandai or Sega to bring more games on the Switch/Switch Pro in the next few years.

Dragon XII will be a Switch exclusive for sure. And all japanese centric games such as the Musou or Baseball games might end up on the Switch only as well.

PS4 is dead and the PS5 failed to launch in Japan. Why on Earth would you bring the next Dynasty Warriors on a Playstation platform ?

Only the franchises with big global success such as Resident Evil, Final Fantasy or Monster Hunter will still come to the PS5. But all those games selling mainly in Japan ? They will leave Playstation platforms now.

Mozza

well in all honesty console makers outside of Nintendo don't really gives a shit about jp market. they are more interested in developers than in the market (in total decline for decades now) itself. even PlayStation is practically deciding to give up on that market (and we're talking about a Japanese company!) there must be a reason. At this point, I prefer Sony and Microsoft to spend money in markets where users are interested in AAA titles that help and push technology forward instead of 2d pokemon 399 (with all due respect to the franchise huh!)

Different tastes I guess, and you have to realize that very few people actually care for the technical side of things, even with the more powerful consoles frame rates and graphics are still niche interests.

Bodomism

Banned
I expect the likes of Capcom, Square Enix, Namco Bandai or Sega to bring more games on the Switch/Switch Pro in the next few years.

Dragon XII will be a Switch exclusive for sure. And all japanese centric games such as the Musou or Baseball games might end up on the Switch only as well.

PS4 is dead and the PS5 failed to launch in Japan. Why on Earth would you bring the next Dynasty Warriors on a Playstation platform ?

Only the franchises with big global success such as Resident Evil, Final Fantasy or Monster Hunter will still come to the PS5. But all those games selling mainly in Japan ? They will leave Playstation platforms now.
Never bet on SQE, that's the same company that had released DQ11 at the end of 3DS lifecycle and sold below their expectations.

Bodomism

Banned
Different tastes I guess, and you have to realize that very few people actually care for the technical side of things, even with the more powerful consoles frame rates and graphics are still niche interests.
Most people on western markers don't even care about that stuff and only wanted the next COD, Fifa, GTA, and etc on their shiny new consoles.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.

No they won't. PS5 and The Switch will continue to get the most 3rd party support from Japan including Dynasty Warriors

Woopah

Switch exclusives will mostly be from smaller companies and big games that Nintendo makes deals for. I expect most games from the mid to large publishers to be PS4/Switch for the next year or so and then PS5/Switch (except for Harada and Nagoshi games).

Jesus the next-gen consoles JUST launched in Japan and now they're dead there :pie_roffles: . Looks like the status quo of Japan being NintendoLand isn't changing whatsoever for the foreseeable future.

In a way I'm actually kind of happy about that since they seem to be the only one not actively suppressing/censoring Japanese games hypocritically.

Hey genius, the PS5 is pretty much DOA in Japan as well. Not even going to touch PS4 LTD numbers with that kind of performance.

I would say that's the bigger focus point out of the two since it's a pretty forgone conclusion Xbox just doesn't trend well in Japan (though it'd be nice to see MS try a bit harder; current slate is too Western-focused. Mostly the same can be said of Sony's).

There is a difference between shipping 10k each week and shipping non for over a month.

MonarchJT

Banned
well honestly the videogame media can only take a path to get to what everyone has dreamed of for decades and decades ... a completely immersive world probably in vr. certainly among the 3 big players Nintendo is the one that pushes the technological side of video games the least. If it were for them things like the evolution of anti-aliasing ... of image reconstruction, new rendering methods such as "foveated rendering" and millions of other innovations there would be no reason to research them. and I honestly say it would have been a drama of unthinkable proportions. I would say that we only have to say thank you that Nintendo does not dominate the entire video game market so if you ask me among the three big players I find myself forced to say that Nintendo would be the one I could (suffering) give up because honestly the least innovative of the three (no their hardware is not innovative in the true sense of the word)

Last edited:
You can't play on the PS5 while you commute. Therefore there is no point in buying one.

Unless Sony releases a PS5 portable or Microsoft releases an Xbox Series Portable, they won't do anything.

You can't play on the PS5 while you commute. Therefore there is no point in buying one.

Unless Sony releases a PS5 portable or Microsoft releases an Xbox Series Portable, they won't do anything.
Are we at the point where PS4 hardware can be miniaturized? A portable console compatible with the PS4 library would be an attractive proposition

TransTrender

Gold Member
I know PS5 has supply issues but what's the excuse for PS4 numbers?
Also whole Playstation selling less than 10% of the Switch is crazy
I think a lot of it has to do with the form factor since you're spending a lot of time on trains. The Nintendo Switch is the first time you could really have a Home console experience in your hand, and look at those top sellers. They are legitimately great games.

Woopah

Are we at the point where PS4 hardware can be miniaturized? A portable console compatible with the PS4 library would be an attractive proposition
At this point we're not that far off the Switch being a portable console with the PS4 library, at least when it comes to Japanese games.

leo-j

That stock is very very low in Japan. Considering they discontinued production of every ps4 model but the main one, I am hoping ps5 lifts above 35k soon.

TLZ

Banned
That Xbox interest fell off way too hard. Maybe all the US foreigners bought theirs and not many of them left.

TLZ

Banned
We're not sure Sony are interested in the Japanese market anymore. If it's true it's pretty sad.

lachesis

Xbox is fairing worse than I imagined - as I thought Xbox One was their rock bottom to begin with.
PS5 - I think it will do better when more units are allocated, but not as much. I expect real boom (if there's any) will come after when they come up with slim/cheaper units in the future and more of Japanese games get made/released exclusively released on PS5... Until then, I think many of them will hold onto their PS4s.

ExKing

says GAF is a racist board but still wants to be a part of it...
Never bet on SQE, that's the same company that had released DQ11 at the end of 3DS lifecycle and sold below their expectations.

DQXI is a different story. They had no choice than releasing it on 3DS as well, otherwise it would have never sold well on the limited PS4 installed base.

There are more than 17 million Switch in Japan, probably 20-21 million by the time Dragon Quest XII releases. You can expect 4 million copies sold ( without digital ), easy. They don't need the PS5.

Last edited:
Top Bottom