• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*Serious* neoGAF, how hard is Demon's Soul compared to other souls titles?

HarryKS

It's fair compared to some of the bs that's cranked up in Dark Souls.

Less ganking for one. Although I'm sure some fuckers are still gonna run that spear that destroys your armour online.

pullcounter

as someone who probably has over 20k hours in demons souls, I can tell you that the difficulty largely stems from the lack of bonfires meaning if you die near/to a boss, you have to run through that entire level section again

certain builds will have an easier time than others. sorcerer builds are very strong, melee builds will have a harder time

the combat is tight and pretty refined. if you're good at DS1 or DS3 or BB, Demons Souls will feel very familiar to you imo

"Unlimited" healing items also makes the game not all that difficult.

I think when people say that DeS is too difficult, they are having a tough time with the games pacing. Usually stemming from trying to get through an area faster than it was designed for. Some people dont like being forced to play a game like this at a slower pace, and will punish overly aggressive playstyles.

I say all of this assuming we are talking about new players. Seasoned players can get through the game pretty quickly

cireza

Banned
Easiest.

Although there are super annoying things in the game :
- limited carry weight (for the full inventory, you are limited)
- having to farm first zone for healing items (no refill at fire !)
- tendency system while playing offline (making optional places really difficult to reach, implying never dying to reach pure white tendency)

Last edited:

Bigfroth

I beat it on PS3 years ago and I'm not good at games. One controller did die a horrible death in my journey though 😂!!

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
It's no harder, it just punishes impatience more. The player's footing on certain bridges / ledges / paths sometimes caused death, but the same basic cautious principles used in later Souls games are all represented in Demon's.

Quick EDIT: you can also chip away at each of the five arch-stones at your own pace, kinda like picking your play order of Mega Man levels. Certain things from certain levels really help certain things in other levels (ambiguous, I know). Don't play each level to its conclusion. Try to beat (example) 1-1, then 3-1, then 2-1, then maybe 2-2, then 4-1, then maybe 1-2, etc.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

The tendency and heal mechanics are really outdated now. I hope they shake some things up. Don't be afraid to introduce Estus in this remake. The items increasing your weight limit sucks too. Good luck farming fire stones.

Top Bottom