• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seriously, has a better movie been made in the last twenty years?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B00005JK8N.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Dali

msdstc said:
bah there's so many better movies.

eternal-sunshine.jpg

people lack appreciation for this amazing movie.

If by "people" you mean "one or two meat-heads", then I totally agree.

Also

Leon: The Professional > Unforgiven
Amelie > Unforgiven
Old Boy > Unforgiven

Linkzg said:
wa da tah

You mean sa da tay, my damie?

JayDubya

Banned
Just looking at the Oscar noms and winners alone, gonna have to say, no, but while I like Unforgiven, that list has Braveheart on it.

jett

D-Member
Many have been made.

Not a big fan of Unforgiven, or any of Eastwood's directorial efforts for that matter.

Dali

jett said:
Many have been made.

Not a big fan of Unforgiven, or any of Eastwood's directorial efforts for that matter.

Have you seen Million Dollar Baby? It really didn't seem like my cup of tea and I avoided it for years until it came on tv a few months ago. Now I'm at least willing to give a CE directed movie a chance early-on.

Yixian

Banned
It's good, but...

Magnolia, Irréversible, Pan's Labyrinth

2007PansLabyrinth.jpg
magnolia1.jpg
Irreversible.jpg

The three best and most important films in the past 20 years.

Pan's Labyrinth may well turn out to be one of the greatest films of all time. It's critical success alone is almost unparalleled.

Danielsan

msdstc said:
bah there's so many better movies.

eternal-sunshine.jpg

people lack appreciation for this amazing movie.
My favorite movie ever.. untill I saw this:

lostincar.jpg

Now Eternal Sunshine sits at a nice second place.

Dali

Yixian said:
It's good, but...

2007PansLabyrinth.jpg
magnolia1.jpg
Irreversible.jpg

Pan's Labyrinth may well turn out to be one of the greatest films of all time. It's critical success alone is almost unparalleled.

You just can't enter a thread without saying some off-the-wall definitive statement, can you? I understand saying both the best and most important are totally subjective, but care to elaborate on how a backward movie with a ten minute rape scene is "important"? I haven't seen the other two, but I can only imagine they are on your list of most important movies of the last 20 years for equally weak reasons.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
PhoenixDark said:
Goodfellas>Unforgiven
Pulp Fiction>Unforgiven
Shawshank Redemption>Unforgiven
The Usual Suspects>Unforgiven
Silence of the Lambs>Unforgiven
Beauty and the Beast>Unforgiven
Gladiator>Unforgiven
A Beautiful Mind>Unforgiven

That's just a few movies. Seems like Goodfellas or Pulp Fiction should be noted as the best films of the 90s, or at least higher on the list than Unforgiven
Your highlights from the last 20 years are incredibly pedestrian.

Yixian said:
It's good, but...

How exactly is Pan's Labyrinth an "important" film? And unparalleled critical success? That kind of reception happens a couple times a year.

Danielsan

Dali said:
You just can't enter a thread without saying some off-the-wall definitive statement, can you? I understand saying both the best and most important are totally subjective, but care to elaborate on how a backward movie with a ten minute rape scene is "important"? I haven't seen the other two, but I can only imagine they are on your list of most important movies of the last 20 years for equally weak reasons.
I have no idea if irréversiable is any good but I can tell you this.
Pan's Labryrinth and Magnolia are two of the finest movies to come out in at least the last 10 years and you need to watch them NOW..

Dali

Danielsan said:
I have no idea if irréversiable is any good but I can tell you this.
Pan's Labryrinth and Magnolia are two of the finest movies to come out in at least the last 10 years and you need to watch them NOW..

I wasn't questioning the quality of the movies. That is his taste. What's important is subjective also, but I'm wondering what significance Irreversible has to make it one of the most important films in the last twenty years to him.

I've heard good things about Pan's Labryrinth (not as over-blown as I'm sure your praise is) and it is currently at the top of my list of movies to see.

Mifune

Mehmber
PhoenixDark said:
I wouldn't call them my highlights: I'd call it a list of films better than the incredibly pedestrian Unforgiven

Incredibly pedestrian? When you list Usual Suspects and Gladiator and A Beautiful Mind?

Wow.

Yixian

Banned
Dan said:
Unparalleled critical success? That kind of reception happens a couple times a year.

It's the 3rd most highly rated film of all time.*

And the highest rated film of the last 20 years.*

It's importance is my opinion, based on it's stunningly effective marriage of surrealism and historical drama, as well as it's direct confrontation of it's nation's dark past. The finale isn't unique but pretty brave.

*According to the metacritic aggregate.

Dali

Yixian said:
It's the 3rd most highly rated film of all time.*

And the highest rated film of the last 20 years.*

It's importance is my opinion, based on it's stunningly effective marriage of surrealism and historical drama, as well as it's direct confrontation of it's nation's dark past. The finale isn't unique but pretty brave.

*According to the metacritic aggregate.

Sounds good... now on to your explanation of the importance of Irreversible.

"One night I was drunk and wasted on coke. My g/f got mad and left the party. She ended up getting brutally raped. Anyway, I was still pretty geeked and a little drunk so I track down the guy that did it to her and get my ass handed to me. I was the lucky one, my friend got his face literally bashed in.
Irreversible totally is a case of art mirroring life as it parallels what happened to me in so many ways... only in reverse."

Mifune said:
Incredibly pedestrian? When you list Usual Suspects and Gladiator and A Beautiful Mind?

Wow.

I'm not saying Gladiator is some epic masterpiece, or even a great movie. Same with Beautiful Mind; but I think they're both better than Unforgiven, which just came off as sup par to me.

Usual Suspects is amazing though

Mifune

Mehmber
Yeah, I really should have called this thread something else. It only took twenty or so replies for someone to say I have shitty taste.

And I don't disagree with some of the choices people throw up here.

Mifune said:
Yeah, I really should have called this thread something else. It only took twenty or so replies for someone to say I have shitty taste.

And I don't disagree with some of the choices people throw up here.

If this was an appreciation thread I would have avoided it; I try not to go into appreciation threads and go against the grain. But to me calling this film the best of the last two decades is stretching things waay too far, so I had to respond.

Dan

icarus-daedelus said:
Just out of curiosity, but what would your choices be? Not that I disagree (PD's choices and most others in this thread are pretty typical and whatnot) but you seem to have interesting views on film in general and I'd like to hear your opinion on the subject.
Scanning through what I've seen since 1987, the following are likely to be notable for me.

Akira (1988)
Do the Right Thing (1989)
Barton Fink (1991)
Groundhog Day (1993)
Crash (1996)
Starship Troopers (1997)
Run Lola Run (1998)
The Iron Giant (1999)
Eyes Wide Shut (1999)
In the Mood for Love (2000)
American Psycho (2000)
Artificial Intelligence (2001)
Solaris (2002)
Primer (2004)
Children of Men (2006) (though this may be premature, I've only seen it once)

I'm sure I'm missing some films, and I'm sure I haven't yet seen some that might strike me.

Yixian said:
The finale would have been brave without the fantasy epilogue.

Dan said:
Scanning through what I've seen since 1987, the following are likely to be notable for me.

Akira (1988)
Do the Right Thing (1989)
Barton Fink (1991)
Groundhog Day (1993)
Crash (1996)
Starship Troopers (1997)
Run Lola Run (1998)
The Iron Giant (1999)
Eyes Wide Shut (1999)
In the Mood for Love (2000)
American Psycho (2000)
Artificial Intelligence (2001)
Solaris (2002)
Primer (2004)
Children of Men (2006) (though this may be premature, I've only seen it once)

I'm sure I'm missing some films, and I'm sure I haven't yet seen some that might strike me.

The finale would have been brave without the fantasy epilogue.

You like AI? I would have expected you to hate it.

Children of Men is indeed amazing, and better than Unforgiven. If I had included more recent movies I'd list Pan's Labyrinth, The Fountain, The Departed, and The Prestige ahead of Unforgiven.

Mifune

Mehmber
icarus-daedelus said:
Plus MILLER'S CROSSING and BARTON FINK and all of the other awesome Coen Bros. movies of the past twenty years.

Yeah. I expect No Country for Old Men to be up there as well.

jett

D-Member
Dali said:
Have you seen Million Dollar Baby? It really didn't seem like my cup of tea and I avoided it for years until it came on tv a few months ago. Now I'm at least willing to give a CE directed movie a chance early-on.

:lol I thought that movie was garbage. I'll never understand the love it gets.

bud

Dan said:
high fidelity > Akira (1988)
high fidelity > Do the Right Thing (1989)
high fidelity > Barton Fink (1991)
high fidelity > Groundhog Day (1993)
high fidelity > Crash (1996)
high fidelity > Starship Troopers (1997)
high fidelity > Run Lola Run (1998)
high fidelity > The Iron Giant (1999)
high fidelity > Eyes Wide Shut (1999)
high fidelity > In the Mood for Love (2000)
high fidelity > American Psycho (2000)
high fidelity > Artificial Intelligence (2001)
high fidelity > Solaris (2002)
high fidelity > Primer (2004)
high fidelity > Children of Men (2006) (though this may be premature, I've only seen it once)

I really don't get The Usual Suspects love. It's such a shallow film, and the twist adds nothing to the film. It's enjoyable the first time, but tedious otherwise.

Mifune

Mehmber
PhoenixDark said:

Children of Men is indeed amazing, and better than Unforgiven. If I had included more recent movies I'd list Pan's Labyrinth, The Fountain, The Departed, and The Prestige ahead of Unforgiven.

Okay, we get it. You don't like Unforgiven. Although you probably only saw it once and didn't understand it, given some of the movies you say are better than Unforgiven...IN EVERY FUCKING POST.

Dan

Bud - High Fidelity's nice and all, and perhaps a very personal experience for a lot of people, but I don't think it much transcends its simple aims of showing a man grow up. It's excellent for what it is, but nothing more.

PhoenixDark said:
I think AI is far and away Spielberg's best work after ET. I may, may even consider going so far as saying it's his masterpiece, but some of his early films would be very strong rivals (ET, Close Encounters, Raiders and Jaws). The only real problems I have with it are Robin Williams and Chris Rock's voice work cameos. Yikes, those were misguided.

Gigglepoo

My favorite movie of the last 20 years (and ever) is Hero. Feel free to disagree with me. If you haven't seen it, wait until the local art house is showing it and prepare to be blown away. DVD cannot do this movie justice.

JayDubya

Banned
Yeah, I keep coming back to Braveheart and L.A. Confidential.

Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring, too. I think I'd say Saving Private Ryan as well. And Dances With Wolves. Probably more, but only the best of the best.

Really do love Unforgiven, though. It's so well done.

Dali

Gigglepoo said:
My favorite movie of the last 20 years (and ever) is Hero. Feel free to disagree with me. If you haven't seen it, wait until the local art house is showing it and prepare to be blown away. DVD cannot do this movie justice.

I'm just going to assume you are talking about the Jet Li movie and not the Dustin Hoffman one. I looooove the cinematography. The way each memory, each event, has its own color. Actually the way color is used overall is pretty cool. Definitely a nice movie.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Memento is so fucking overrated stop mentioning it, people. Good movie, sure, but more gimmicky than genius.

OOOOH ITS LIKE A REAL MOVIE, BUT BACKWARDS!

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
out of the fairly recent movies I've seen I must say 'The Fountain' is amazing. So is 'The Prestige' and 'Children of Men'. But I've only seen these a few times, so no final judgment.

But I would like to say that "Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance" is one of the best films in recent times.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
demon said:
Memento is so fucking overrated stop mentioning it, people. Good movie, sure, but more gimmicky than genius.

OOOOH ITS LIKE A REAL MOVIE, BUT BACKWARDS!
Um, no, that's not why I love it. Perhaps it's honest look at a life that constantly questions itself, always asking "What's real? Who do I trust?". An examination of how people can re-interpret their past, re-imagine their lives, give purpose to a life without one. Fantastic acting? Splendid narrative? I dunno, i could go on all day about why I love the film, but the backwards narrative isn't near the top of the list. I can understand why people don't like it and I've got no real qualms with them, but the way I see it, the film is much deeper than it's plot style.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
BelligerentOC said:
Maybe The Departed, Goodfellas, or Training Day.... No they dont, Unforgiven blew me away the first time I saw it, pure godliness.... Clint is the man

departed was dissapointing and training day sucked. ya could throw in some clint directed movies like Mystic River. that was good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom