• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seriously WTF!? ....The PS4 Pro is embarrassingly loud :(

Look

I get it... the GPU is doing A LOT of good shit and the games look pretty fucking great

That being said, I truly don't understand how anyone at R&D thought the insane whine-pitch the system CONSTANTLY puts out when playing 60fps content (system is actually silent with 30fps games ala Rise of the Tomb Raider) @ 4k (or downsampled 1080p) would be acceptable..... Let alone for $400

It really is a nice piece kit from an architectural standpoint, but that small ass fan coupled with the poorly ventilated chassis just ends up making the most distinctly annoying sound. Dare I say, it's actually worse than the C-Chassis, due to the fact now fan is constantly alternating it's speeds and therefor, the pitches it's hitting.

I really want to love this system, but i feel like I've had enough and the visual trade-off really isn't worth it when I sit 9-10ft away from the damn thing and all I can hear is it's cooling system. And please don't say, "just turn up the volume or where headsphones"
I got a family and I can't be rocking the house with my small window of gametime at night.

I'm thinking just giving up and getting the PS4Slim :(

Sorry, I had to vent (no pun intended)

Does it sound like this too?
https://youtu.be/bKfWhfcC-Ls
You actually hear the fan noise and the whistling quite well in this video. I think for most people, they only hear the fan noise? The annoying hum/whistle is what is unbearable. Every game does it, in Deus Ex it's extremely noticeable because in quiet parts where you are just standing around it just keeps going up and down forever. In this clip I just slowly walked through Prague.

EDIT: For refrence, here's another GAFFers PS4Pro that made the exact same noise as mine

i've been playing Skyrim and WD 2 a ton. Easily 60+ hours between the two games since the Pro launched, it sits about 2 feet from me and I've never heard it.

I thought early impressions said it was whisper quiet?

I think Digital Foundry said it's best

It's not so much the overall loudness now, but the distinct pitches it's able to hit :(

i've been playing Skyrim and WD 2 a ton. Easily 60+ hours between the two games since the Pro launched, it sits about 2 feet from me and I've never heard it.

Those are 30fps games

Play something like Titanfall 2, The Last of Us 60fps Mode or CoD: Infinite Warfare

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Maybe try to exchange it? My launch PS4 wasn't as loud as most people's were and my Pro is considerably more quiet than that.

Stillmatic

I mostly wear a headset, but the times I haven't I don't even notice any noise. Though mine sits in a glass cabinet (well vented) in the living room and I sit between 2-3 meters away.

Uncharted 4 and ratchet and clank were fine noise wise for me (actually close to being quiet) but titanfall 2 made my pro sound like it was taking off into the air. Unmatched games are silent every time.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
There are people who replaced theirs, and got one that was apparently much more quiet. It's possible I guess that much like with regular PS4, the noise level varies different between units.

Tagg9

Sounds like luck of the draw. My launch PS4 was loud as fuck, but my PS4 Pro is super quiet for all games (even Uncharted 4).

farisr

Maybe try to exchange it? My launch PS4 wasn't as loud as most people's were and my Pro is considerably more quiet than that.
This. I played a 6 hour session yesterday of Watch Dogs at 4k, with the game audio on low volume sitting 8 feet away from the system, it was not audible.

Only audible when you start it up/launch a disc based game, but that goes away very shortly.

Bl@de

I thought early impressions said it was whisper quiet?

Mine is audible. Quiet compared to the 1116. But the fan is spinning up and down depending on the CPU/GPU load and that can be annoying. Whisper quiet? Only with unpatched games. Loudest scenario? Downsampled and unlocked fps (like the OP mentioned)

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Yup

I really think it's the combo of 60fps @ 4k/downsampled visuals

Shit is ROCKING the system hard

I've played mostly 60fps games on mine so far (IW, MWR, TF2, and BF1) and it doesn't get loud at all. You should probably try to exchange it.

Mine is very quiet

and I know DF complained its rest mode power consumption is high but damn if it doesn't come back to life so quickly.

I picked up the slim a few weeks ago and it's pretty damn quiet. It's not nearly as quiet as my Xbox one, but it's unnoticeable most of the time.

Kyoufu

Maybe, but I REALLY don't want to start playing the "quiet one" lottery :(

95% of impressions I've seen say it's really quiet/quietest PS4 model yet, including mine. This is a night and day difference compared to the launch models which sound like vacuums for a lot of people.

I'd definitely exchange it.

I think Digital Foundry said it's best

It's not so much the overall loudness now, but the distinct pitches it's able to hit :(

Those are 30fps games

Play something like Titanfall 2, The Last of Us 60fps Mode or CoD: Infinite Warfare
Mine is so quiet in last of us 60fps. I'm never usually lucky with this stuff, so I'm happy to hear that I might have a quiet unit.

atpbx

Look

I get it... the GPU is doing A LOT of good shit and the games look pretty fucking great

That being said, I truly don't understand how anyone at R&D thought the insane whine-pitch the system CONSTANTLY puts out when playing 60fps content (system is actually silent with 30fps games ala Rise of the Tomb Raider) @ 4k (or downsampled 1080p) would be acceptable..... Let alone for $400

It really is a nice piece kit from an architectural standpoint, but that small ass fan coupled with the poorly ventilated chassis just ends up making the most distinctly annoying sound. Dare I say, it's actually worse than the C-Chassis, due to the fact now fan is constantly alternating it's speeds and therefor, the pitches it's hitting.

I really want to love this system, but i feel like I've had enough and the visual trade-off really isn't worth it when I sit 9-10ft away from the damn thing and all I can hear is it's cooling system. And please don't say, "just turn up the volume or where headsphones"
I got a family and I can't be rocking the house with my small window of gametime at night.

I'm thinking just giving up and getting the PS4Slim :(

Sorry, I had to vent (no pun intended)

No it isn't.

Apart from the blu ray drive, it barely makes a sound.

tookhster

I always love reading these types of threads because people fail to realize that everyone has a different setup. Some people play with the system right next to them on a desk or something, and others play in the living room on sofa far away from the system and with plenty of background noise.

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
I ain't heard shit from mine since I got it, its noticably quieter than my OG PS4...I be forgetting its on sometimes

I always love reading these types of threads because people fail to realize that everyone has a different setup. Some people play with the system right next to them on a desk or something, and others play in the living room on sofa far away from the system and with plenty of background noise.

Yeah this.

I'm 4-5 feet from mine and it's absolutely audible.

Also I'm fairly skeptical of people saying electronics are "silent" online in general. I've read too many user reviews that were wrong about that over the years. I feel like a lot of people consider something to be "silent" when they can't hear it from like 12 feet away while their sound system is pumping out loud audio or something.

Top Bottom