• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Serkan Toto Rumor: Bandai Namco making several NX games, including a Smash for launch

Oersted

Hyrule Warriors wasn't even published by Nintendo in Japan. Calling it 1st party because it uses Nintendo IP is a stretch.

Nothing about your post seemed rhetorical. Especially since the Wii U has more noteworthy third party games than the N64 ever had. It even more or less matches the Wii, with only the Game Cube having a stronger showing.

I think what he is actually trying to say is that his rhetoric skills are really bad and that he needs to move goalposts several times to actually reflect reality.

Huh?

I'm gonna need some names of these 3rd party games. Please list.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wii_U_software

One issue with Wii U's 3rd-party support was just the awful omission of obvious IPs.

- Super Monkey Ball
- Harv... *ahem* Story of Seasons
- Bomberman (RIP Hudson)
- Tales (Symphonia was huge on GC especially in the west, and the sequel did pretty damn well on Wii)

And just minimal in others and hardly worthy of their brand.

- Sonic (the exclusives were just poorly done, they were in no shape or form the series' heights)
- Rabbids (Rabbids Land was very meh different take and the actual Raving Rabbids games were huge on Wii)

Small list but I'm just having blanks on more when I KNOW there are I can't remember which. :p

Vena

There's a high chance Berseria is on the NX if only on the graces of potentially being the only product to act as market leader in Japan, and Nintendo's ability to attract RPG fans to their handheld system.

MK_768

What are some third party games on the N64?

Anyway, the Wii U has, off the top of my head

Bayonetta 2 (Nintendo funded/published)
Hyrule Warriors (Nintendo published outside of Japan)
Smash Bros (Third party developed, with input, funding and publishing from Nintendo)
Tekken Tag Tournament 2
Pokken (Nintendo published?)
Monster Hunter 3

There's more I'm forgetting as well, a plenty that aren't exclusive (Batman, Mass Effect, Rayman, Shovel Knight)

The Wii U is also very indie friendly, which is in contrast to the Wii, where indies were frustrated with Nintendo's poor support for them.

My disagreement was more on the Wii side. I guess if you want to count indie game you have quite the point. I was ignoring those. I just know that I have way more 3rd party Wii games than Wii U games. And I'm not talking about dirt ports like Mass Effect and Batman.

I just think that there was more quantity and quality in 3rd party games on Wii than Wii U.

Given the current state of Tales and Super Monkey Ball, I'm not exactly grieving for their absence.

It's wrong to say the Wii U has no third-party support, yet at the same time I can't think of any other Nintendo console where I've been so disinterested in their offerings. The Wii avalanche of shovelware was bad but you could find dozens of exclusive gems if you bothered to dive in.

Daouzin

I know it's a dream, but the Smash game should honestly be a collection of Smash 4, Melee, Brawl and 64. Unite the Smash community under one disc and the perfect way for Nintendo to say they will start supporting the competitive community more with a Nintendo World Series. Competitive Pokken, Melee, Smash 4 and Splatoon.

There's a high chance Berseria is on the NX if only on the graces of potentially being the only product to act as market leader in Japan, and Nintendo's ability to attract RPG fans to their handheld system.

Hope so. But as I've said, Hideo Baba is very... Sony-centric. And I don't think I need to explain why I feel Graces' release on Wii went just so "conveniently" wrong if you know what I mean, a.k.a., you CAN'T have done that by accident.

While it's certainly not true that Wii U has "literally no" third party support, you have to go back to the Virtual Boy to find a Nintendo console with worse third party support.

While it's certainly not true that Wii U has "literally no" third party support, you have to go back to the Virtual Boy to find a Nintendo console with worse third party support.

Oh sure, it's bad. Really bad.

I just find it funny that people don't seem to understand what "literally" actually means lol

And yeah, I'm aware that my "literally false" statement kind of makes me look silly in light of this!

Banned
Hope so. But as I've said, Hideo Baba is very... Sony-centric. And I don't think I need to explain why I feel Graces' release on Wii went just so "conveniently" wrong if you know what I mean, a.k.a., you CAN'T have done that by accident.

I've stated before, it's not up to Baba. If Namco execs want to reach a larger audience in Japan and worldwide and the NX is capable of running Berseria, they'll tell him to put it on NX or they'll find another director (they could use one anyway).

What's the best way to follow up a successful Tales of launch on the 3DS? Remaking the two DS tales games on a different (failed) platform! Watch as their lifetime Japanese totals are unable to match the first weeks sales of Abyss.

Doesn't make much sense. I could maybe see a Vesperia port on the portable though.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Hyrule Warriors wasn't even published by Nintendo in Japan. Calling it 1st party because it uses Nintendo IP is a stretch.

Nothing about your post seemed rhetorical. Especially since the Wii U has more noteworthy third party games than the N64 ever had. It even more or less matches the Wii, with only the Game Cube having a stronger showing.

Not even close.

N64 had as exclusives:
Ogre Battle 64
Body Harvest
Turok
Turok 2
Turok Rage Wars
Turok 3
Bomberman 64
Bomberman 64 2
Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon
Castlevania 1999
Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness
Space Station Silicon Valley
Quest 64
Hybrid Heaven
Doom 64
Quake 64
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine

And more...

...as well as versions of:
Resident Evil 2
Gex 2 and 3
Mortal Kombat 4
Rampage 2
Every sports game on planet Earth
Vigilante 8
Wipeout

And yet more...

The N64 got a lot of third party support, not just in its numerous exclusives, but also far more ports.

I've stated before, it's not up to Baba. If Namco execs want to reach a larger audience in Japan and worldwide and the NX is capable of running Berseria, they'll tell him to put it on NX or they'll find another director (they could use one anyway).

Funny enough, the producer of Vesperia co-directed Smash 4:

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/06/22/namco-bandai-developing-next-smash-bros

Yoshito Higuchi, who produced Tales of Vesperia, will be the games' director. Namco Bandai's Kenya Kobayashi (Ridge Racer) will be producing the titles. Stay tuned to IGN for all the latest.

Honestly the NX is a console that has a perfect excuse for a lot of ports.

Let's face it, the WiiU didn't exactly excel, why not give those games a chance to shine on a console that, hopefully, is more successful?

I'd like to see Smash and Splatoon on it. Those games have potential to grow outside their WiiU trappings.

What's the best way to follow up a successful Tales of launch on the 3DS? Remaking the two DS tales games on a different (failed) platform! Watch as their lifetime Japanese totals are unable to match the first weeks sales of Abyss.

Doesn't make much sense. I could maybe see a Vesperia port on the portable though.

And a 3DS port of a mobile SRPG spin-off sold identically to said Vita remakes. Yep.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Why you guys give attention to a known shitposter I have no idea, especially with how it derailed this thread.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Seriously, people--enough with the "Nintendo 64 had no third-party games" stuff. It is so ridiculously untrue and yet it comes up every time anyone discusses Nintendo third-party relations.

leroidys

Most of the 3rd party games for Wii U are a complete mismatch for their audience. Apparently AC4, ME3, Splinter Cell, Batman, NFS, and Deus Ex (and more) are quality ports. Everyone forgets that they exist because they either have them on another platform, or don't care about them to begin with.

Pokemaniac

Most of the 3rd party games for Wii U are a complete mismatch for their audience. Apparently AC4, ME3, Splinter Cell, Batman, NFS, and Deus Ex (and more) are quality ports. Everyone forgets that they exist because they either have them on another platform, or don't care about them to begin with.

A bunch of those had missing content. Deus Ex had pricing shenanigans. ME3 had trilogy shenanigans. Aside from maybe NFS, which was still pretty late, those ports weren't exactly a great showing of third party support.

Peru

Seriously, people--enough with the "Nintendo 64 had no third-party games" stuff. It is so ridiculously untrue and yet it comes up every time anyone discusses Nintendo third-party relations.

Two good points that illustrate why Nintendo chasing 3rd parties (especially western) makes very little sense.

They chased them hard in the n64 days and continued that through the gamecube days, and it gave them VERY little in return for a lot of resources and time spent. So little people forget it.

People are never going to buy a Nintendo console as their 'catch all' system for western third party regulars.

Working with key Japanese third parties has proven to be a reliable strategy for Nintendo. It turned the 3DS failure into a solid success. Both the DS and 3DS have gained a lot of sales on traditional japanese gaming experiences.

Some people just like to dream about a Nintendo system with the latest Witcher or whatever. But when they're there, they don't buy it. They go with the PC version or with the consoles that almost share a library with Steam. So Nintendo need to stand out, streamlining their own software flow and making sure they're still the place to go for traditional Japanese console experiences.

Top Bottom