• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seroxat (Paroxetine) anti-depressants, how long do they take to work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

painey

Last week I was prescribed 20mg of Paroxetine anti-depressants, not for depression but for anxiety. I've been taking them for a week, but all they do is totally kill my sex drive, make me tired and groggy with blurred vision, and make me yawn constantly and feel sick, but im not feeling any different. The only good thing is the next morning when I feel "normal" which is the best I feel all day. How long can I expect before they actually do something, and will the side effects go away?

pjberri

Crotchety Old Man
The side effects will never go away. It'll take a couple of weeks to a month for anything positive to happen.

Tron 2.0

With that particular class of drug, the side affects are going to be most prevalent for the first month or so in most people while the body gets used to the drug. HOWEVER, it is very possible that you will still experience side effects after one month and that a lowered libido will become a permanent fixture. Welcome to anti-depressants.

Also with this class of drug, your body basically becomes dependent on it. Under no circumstances should you just stop taking it. If you're dissatisfied and want to try another drug TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR FIRST. They will ween you off of it with smaller doses and then transition you onto another drug.

You're only a week in so you may not feel too different but you should feel something. However, you know your body better than I do so if something doesn't feel right talk to your doctor immediately.

JB1981

I take 10mg. My personal recommendation would be to come off the pills IMMEDIATELY. The withdrawal symptoms are fucking HORRIBLE and you will find it extremely difficult to wean yourself off.

I'm not talking about missing a day or two, I'm talking if I missed my pill in the morning by like an hour or something, i start to get headaches, these weird "shocks" in my head - they're called 'zaps' actually and I get very spacey, irritable and anxious. I wish I could go back in time and tell myself DON'T TAKE THAT SHIT. Seriously - it fucking SUCKS

I personally have not experienced any of the issues you have describe while on the drug, however. My sex drive is fine, my energy level is fine etc. Also, don't drink much while on it because you will get fucking WASTED, black out etc.

tekumseh

a mass of phermones, hormones and adrenaline just waiting to explode
What time of the day are you taking your dose? If you're taking it in the morning, take it at night; if at night, then take it in the morning, so that you can modulate the sleepiness to your actual sleep window. This will make a huge difference for you.

With regard to side effects and medicine affect, 3-4 weeks is pretty normal for your body to get used to them. Some of the side effects may linger, but with such a relatively small dose, you shouldn't be too affected. Also, I've also never noticed the withdrawal others have mentioned, regardless of my dosage size. I've stopped it cold turkey at least 2 previous times and never felt a thing. Now, with effexor, the shit others are describing I had, and in spades. If I missed it a day or two, it felt like there was a constant electrical storm inside my head. Brutal...

painey

the side effects seem to have subdued a bit, apart from today when I woke up after 7 hours of sleep I felt as if I hadnt even got an hour of shut eye, and my sex drive is still zero. Do the pills change you much? because I cant really tell if they are working or not because I dont know what to expect.

chase

I've been on 20mg Citalopram for a while now and have only had one side-effect (decreased sex drive). I've come off it cold turkey (to see if I could) and not experienced any withdrawal symptoms. Sounds like you've been really unlucky. I'd talk to your doctor about changing to a different SSRI as there are lots of different ones available.

Thrilltacular

Neo Member
painey said:
the side effects seem to have subdued a bit, apart from today when I woke up after 7 hours of sleep I felt as if I hadnt even got an hour of shut eye, and my sex drive is still zero. Do the pills change you much? because I cant really tell if they are working or not because I dont know what to expect.
You should really consult your doctor about any side effects that worry you, at least that's what I've been learning in school. If anything you should not just stop taking them.

randomwab said:
Seroxat? Isn't that the drug that can cause you to commit suicide?
Pretty sure that's like every anti-depressant :lol

SHOCKIE

Citalopram has killed my sex drive which was very high,a girl invited me over tonight,i turned her down,i could'nt be arsed:lol :(

panda21

i'm not sure i'd listen to these replies tbh

the side effects tend to go away after 2 weeks to a month and it takes that long to start working. once you get 'stable' there shouldnt be any severe side effects (like dizzyness feeling sick etc)

you should always try to take them at the same time of day, and DONT start taking them at night because it will stop you from sleeping

and more importantly considering people have given several different answers to everything and i know for sure that several of them are just plain wrong its probably better to ask a doctor than gaf :lol

i'd stick with it though, they can work and for different people the side effects are different and may well disappear

Dai Kaiju

I had a GREAT experience with the immediate release brand name Paxil (paroxetine)...but then they stopped making it once the generic came out. For whatever reason, the generic just didn't work for me, and I went through a major depression that lasted for about a year. I switched to a different SSRI (zoloft), but I didn't notice a real improvement until I started taking it in combination with Lamictal. It was technically formulated as a seizure medication but it works extremely well for mood disorders as well...

Oh, and Lamictal doesn't have sexual side effects. You might still get them if you take it with the paroxetine though. How many times a day did you guys wank it pre antidepressant?

One more thing, I know a lot of people who have been on SSRIs by themselves, and I don't think any single one of them ever saw an improvement. Some actually felt worse, myself included.

SHOCKIE

Dai Kaiju said:
Oh, and Lamictal doesn't have sexual side effects. You might still get them if you take it with the paroxetine though. How many times a day did you guys wank it pre antidepressant?

3-4 times a week,now about once every two weeks, have to false myself :lol

One more thing, I know a lot of people who have been on SSRIs by themselves, and I don't think any single one of them ever saw an improvement. Some actually felt worse, myself included.
I have panic disorder SSRIs have been a great help to me apart from my sex drive.

tekumseh

a mass of phermones, hormones and adrenaline just waiting to explode
panda21 said:
i'm not sure i'd listen to these replies tbh

the side effects tend to go away after 2 weeks to a month and it takes that long to start working. once you get 'stable' there shouldnt be any severe side effects (like dizzyness feeling sick etc)

you should always try to take them at the same time of day, and DONT start taking them at night because it will stop you from sleeping

and more importantly considering people have given several different answers to everything and i know for sure that several of them are just plain wrong its probably better to ask a doctor than gaf :lol

i'd stick with it though, they can work and for different people the side effects are different and may well disappear

So, you're not sure you'd listen to other replies, and then you offer your own? mmmkay...

IF the OP is having recurring drowsiness, it's probably occurring in the same window each time, providing he is consistent in taking the drug at the same time. IF this is the case, taking the med at a time, then, relative to his normal sleep time will alleviate his waking hours drowsiness.

Of course, I'm probably not qualified to comment. I've only been a nurse for 10 years and a Prozac/Seroxat/Paroxetine user for the better part of 15 years
so what would I know about it....

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
JB1981 said:
I'm not talking about missing a day or two, I'm talking if I missed my pill in the morning by like an hour or something, i start to get headaches, these weird "shocks" in my head - they're called 'zaps' actually and I get very spacey, irritable and anxious. I wish I could go back in time and tell myself DON'T TAKE THAT SHIT. Seriously - it fucking SUCKS

my mum was on Effexor and when she came off it she had the same brain 'shocks' she said it was like electricity going off in her brain, sounds fuckin horrible. boo to prescription drugs.

painey

randomwab said:
Seroxat? Isn't that the drug that can cause you to commit suicide?

its an anti-depressant, so its not really surprising that people off themselves when taking it.

As for me, I feel fan-fucking-tastic anxiety wise, its totally gone, but the side effects are still with me a month on and I dont think I can cope living like this. I see my doc in a week and I think I will try and ween off them and see if I feel better as a "normal" guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom