• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Several internal teams at Microsoft pitched the idea for a handheld "Xboy" multiple times.

driqe

Source: Former Xbox Boss Reveals Why The Company Never Made A Handheld Platform - GameSpot

Robbie Bach, who left Microsoft in 2010 after years of running the Xbox business from the beginning in 2001, said in a recent interview during the New York Game Awards that he rejected every Xbox portable proposal because the company just didn't have the bandwidth to support it.
"During my time at Xbox, there were at least three groups that presented portable Xbox presentations. They always got called Xboy for some reason. Would have been a trademark problem, I'm sure," he said. "All three times we decided not to do it."
"I have great respect for Sony and Nintendo for being able to be in both of those marketplaces. Because everybody says, 'Ohh [console and portable are] related and there's a lot of leverage and it's easy to move from one to the other,'" Bach said. "And I think they're actually, at the time--Switch has changed all of that, I suppose--but at the time they were pretty different. And it would have meant starting up another team. It would have been like starting Xbox [again] except creating a handheld. And we just didn't have the bandwidth to do that."
In 2017, current Xbox boss Phil Spencer discussed Microsoft's efforts in the portable gaming space. He said Microsoft did in fact create rough designs for an Xbox handheld, but the company never advanced these prototypes to become a real product.
For what it's worth, Sony has backed out of the portable space after discontinuing its PlayStation Vita line, while Nintendo is seemingly winding down its 3DS business in favor of pushing the Nintendo Switch which has portable applications.

Last edited:

n0razi

Just buy a GPD Win 3 at this point

IMG_20210113_112435.jpg

pasterpl

Use one at work as my main computer.

It crashes even better than a normal PC

had all since 2nd gen (including surface book and surface pro x) and never had more problems than with any other Windows machine...

point being that surface line is quite successful for ms and it is mainly portable devices and there is no sign of ms dropping it

Just buy a GPD Win 3 at this point

IMG_20210113_112435.jpg

I have actually preordered this on Kickstarter, really curious on how this will perform

SamFo

It’s sort of funny because an Xbox portable probably makes more sense now than ever.

Except it likely would be an Xbox branded android Tablet/Phone that was designed for use with Xcloud but created by someone else.

jakinov

This is a bit like the "Microsoft tried to buy Nintendo " news...you want to ask Microsoft why? They have not done a great job with other simpler portable products (zune anyone?) And a portable game machine is tougher to get right....

Zune from what I understood was fine as a product and it did a lot better than other manufacturers in the market just not Apple. Who dominated everybody. There wasn’t anything inherently wrong with the Zune as a product, it just didn’t have the same marketing, social/cultural influence, brand recognition and was disadvantaged by not being even close to being first to market; and so it failed as a business.

From a physical/hardware perspective, Microsoft has been doing a really good job at creating light portable and ergonomic hardware for their surface and in some cases Xbox line of products.

in terms of software support, if Microsoft could some how fit the series S Into a somewhat switch size in x years they could solve the software problem that Sony has never been able to address with their handhelds. A bunch of light Xbox indie games would be playable + a bunch of hardcore game’s and game pass would also make it very attractive.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Would've been trash, because there's no world in which Microsoft or developers would commit to it.

You need at least PSP levels of software support for a successful handheld. Vita level of support is not even enough and I doubt Microsoft would have come close to matching even that.

Kumomeme

one of challenge made portable console is it must has good perfomance with reasonable price. also good battery and thermal

nintendo switch for example $299 which is similliar to psp and ps vita
people here mention surface but how much is that thing?

cheapest is $399 while the rest is line is around $500 - $2200

gdp win 3 for example $799

sure they can make one with low power specs for battery and cheaper price and i intrigued to see how it goes if they actually tried to do that.

also first party support is crucial. thats what drive nintendo's portable console, psp and what ps vita is lacking. what Robbie Bach said is make sense that they need to create another team for it. i believe even sony currently handfulls handling their home console division. surely not easy for microsoft as they also 'struggled' supporting their home console output. while nintendo make clever way of unified both home and portable console via switch.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I think her main problem is that either (or both things) these "gamer men" she's been with are actually social spastics or she's making it seem like she cares about what they tell her and then turn around and moan to her friends about it, what a stupid way to live haha. I love playing computer games and talking about them, sure I'll show my non-gaming friends a game or talk about something game-related that I think they'd find cool/interesting some times but I'm not about to go on a long diatribe about what I did in a game that day/week if they aren't interested.

Its just so funny she's like "I don't wanna hear how many guns you got today", putting games aside for a second like who tf doesn't end up talking to other people about things they don't care about, because you get passionate and carried away. If they kept doing it and you really didn't give a shit about what they were telling you or it actually annoyed/bored you then you should act like a mature human and communicate (in a polite way) and say you aren't really that into it.

FFS why are so many young people socially retarded now?

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
I think her main problem is that either (or both things) these "gamer men" she's been with are actually social spastics or she's making it seem like she cares about what they tell her and then turn around and moan to her friends about it, what a stupid way to live haha. I love playing computer games and talking about them, sure I'll show my non-gaming friends a game or talk about something game-related that I think they'd find cool/interesting some times but I'm not about to go on a long diatribe about what I did in a game that day/week if they aren't interested.

Its just so funny she's like "I don't wanna hear how many guns you got today", putting games aside for a second like who tf doesn't end up talking to other people about things they don't care about, because you get passionate and carried away. If they kept doing it and you really didn't give a shit about what they were telling you or it actually annoyed/bored you then you should act like a mature human and communicate (in a polite way) and say you aren't really that into it.

FFS why are so many young people socially retarded now?

Bruh, did you watch the whole video? lol

Aenima

They dodged a bullet as they would fail miserably like they failed with Zune and even failed to stay in the Mobile market with the Windows mobile.
They aproach to put gamepass and xcloud available to smarthphones already on the market is a much more clever and safe solution.

Hugare

Microsoft can barely support the Xbox with first party, imagine a fucking handheld

Would be something interesting to see tho, even if only for it to crash and burn

martino

Microsoft can barely support the Xbox with first party, imagine a fucking handheld

Would be something interesting to see tho, even if only for it to crash and burn
this is the right argument here....
Sony didn't manage to do it.
Nintendo stopped...because the more powerful hardware is the more complex games become to produce to feed the beasts.
I don't see split with multiple hardware to happen anytime soon
of course i could be wrong.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
This is a bit like the "Microsoft tried to buy Nintendo " news...you want to ask Microsoft why? They have not done a great job with other simpler portable products (zune anyone?) And a portable game machine is tougher to get right....

The switch and its success suggest its still a market worth going after. A "switch" without portability from Nintendo when it launched would have sold like the wii u, unless it had the horsepower to compete with other home consoles.

I think they should have made the series s a handheld, obviously a bit less powerfull than the s but a hybrid like the switch. Would have sold like crazy.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

I think its a good idea. Especially if it can link with your Xbox console and share the same games.

Basically all the 3rd party games in the console generation on handheld would be amazing.
Imagine RDR2, Resident Evil 2 and Sekiro on handheld... plus a downgraded version to all the lastest XBSX games on handheld, would be awesome

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

They can just port the games And have 1 ecosystem.
Playstation can Do the same thing.

Handheld tech has caught up so they can have downgraded version on console games, look at Nintendo and Switch, they no longer need a 3DS like handheld and a console.

Hugare

They can just port the games And have 1 ecosystem.
Playstation can Do the same thing.

Handheld tech has caught up so they can have downgraded version on console games, look at Nintendo and Switch, they no longer need a 3DS like handheld and a console.
Try downgrading God of War or Horizon into the Switch. The thing would melt in your hand.

Even if they bring better specs, the battery would last 10 minutes. The tech isnt there yet.

And that would be considering PS4 titles. The PS5 just launched, and a port to handeld devices would be just impossible for the next 10 years at least.

It works for Nintendo because they make games with stylized graphics that can run on a tablet hardware.

There's no way around it: Sony and Microsoft would have to develop exclusive games for the handheld, since they cant run console graphics.
And well, that didnt work out with Vita ...

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
A handheld console needs to have dedicated efforts to accommodate the size of the screen. If it is only a means of throwing the exact same picture you get on TV, but at lower resolution on a small screen, then no thanks.

People seem to have already forgotten what an experience built for a handheld console really is. Bigger text, no space wasted in the HUDs and Menus, and games that don't rely on 50 buttons at the same time.

I highly doubt that MS would have proposed this kind of experience, so it is not a big loss at all.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Try downgrading God of War or Horizon into the Switch. The thing would melt in your hand.

Even if they bring better specs, the battery would last 10 minutes. The tech isnt there yet.

And that would be considering PS4 titles. The PS5 just launched, and a port to handeld devices would be just impossible for the next 10 years at least.

It works for Nintendo because they make games with stylized graphics that can run on a tablet hardware.

There's no way around it: Sony and Microsoft would have to develop exclusive games for the handheld, since they cant run console graphics.
And well, that didnt work out with Vita ...

This is actually do-able, with the right chipset, imagine a nvidia based system with DLSS employed, game running at 720p scaled to a 1080p oled. It wouldn't melt the machine, heck, the switch is doing this at a lower level and the hardware is what, 6 years old? Heck they even ported doom eternal on that machine.
GOW at a lower res on newer hardware - completely possible.

Top Bottom