• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of Mordor offers Ultra texture optional download, recommends 6GB VRAM @ 1080p

PC graphic options.....sexy
ShadowOfMordor-2014-09-25-20-55-27-91.png

I get to play games on medium-low again.

Hooray! :(

Displaying the card and VRAM in the corner is awesome and should be industry standard.

Stimpack

I wouldn't say that's too surprising. Hopefully this generation won't look like mud and ass. It'll definitely knock the "You'll never use more than 2 GB of VRAM at 1080p" people off their feet.

Smokey

And just like that 970/980 hype thread deflated lol

People should prepare themselves for this type of stuff moving forward. Especially as devs get unshackled from the hell that is 360/ps3 2006 specs.

Kevin

Two $3000 Titan's it is!

lol man the specs for these PC ports are just ridiculous these days! My old GTX 590 weeps! :/

Yikes guess I'll have to upgrade my 560 ti next year. Though that says 6gb for ultra even the new 970 and 980 gtx's only have 4gb.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Is this because of PS4 and XB1's 5 to 8 gigs RAM why these PC requirements are so high now??????

Yes.

Generally you author textures to be max quality for the console platforms when seen up close, so if you want to load all those in at once on PC, you need shit tons of VRAM.

I feel like optimization of PC ports have gotten worse and worse and now it's just ridiculous. Would my GTX 460 SE run this at least on medium/low settings?

belmonkey

I guess I don't mind as long as the textures reflect the large amount of VRAM needed, and not some weird case of terrible streaming / attempting to run the game only on GPU memory or something.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
And just like that 970/980 hype thread deflated lol

People should prepare themselves for this type of stuff moving forward. Especially as devs get unshackled from the hell that is 360/ps3 2006 specs.

Unfortunately, we won't really be able to prepare for that kind of VRAM usage until late next year's cards at the earliest.

What a heavy VRAM requirement: not even the 4GB GTX 970 is cut out for Ultra settings, going strictly by the requirements.

I thought 4GB+ requirements are only needed for ultra textures at 1440P and up?

Will have to wait for the actual benchmarks.

Smokey

Unfortunately, we won't really be able to prepare for that kind of VRAM usage until late next year's cards at the earliest.

Not true. I have 3 cards with that amount of VRAM in my machine now :p

But if you mean prices coming down to mainstream levels for cards with 4GB+ VRAMthen you're probably right.

Skryim with most textures at 4k resolution doesn't even use 6gb of VRAM. Ultra in this game had better be 8k textures to justify that VRAM requirement. Unless they're loading every texture in the game at once? Which would be pretty silly.

I really feel this will be one of those situations where performance takes a hit, but there's almost zero discernible difference on-screen, especially at 1080p. Unless the textures are ridiculous in resolution. Guess we'll see though.

Is this because of PS4 and XB1's 5 to 8 gigs RAM why these PC requirements are so high now??????

In this case, Ultra textures are beyond what the consoles are running. Realistically, the consoles aren't getting more than 6GB of memory for games, probably more like 5.5. This is for all data, not just textures. A 6GB video card is therefore way, way more than what you have access to for video memory duties on console.

I have a feeling that this is going to be the case more and more often as we move forward into the generation. It really brings to light just how stingy Nvidia is being with video memory on its newest cards.

Corpekata

Banned
Also for people freaking out: Go look at the actual requirements for the game. They're pretty modest. Heck it asks for a 660 for recommended GPU. You might not be able to run with the Ultra pack but most people with a gaming PC will be fine.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
According to the menu Ultra requires an additional optional Ultra HD texture pack installed, so it should probably be a substantial upgrade.

We will see, but I still doubt it, at the very least I don't see it being enough of a difference to warrant the vram and whatever performance issues come with it.

Top Bottom