• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of Mordors true ending - Grinding or Lootboxes

Shadow of Mordors? Shouldn't it be Shadow of War? Or are we talking about the old game?
I'm confused.

Yeah. My bad :D

Shadow of Mordors? Shouldn't it be Shadow of War? Or are we talking about the old game?
I'm confused.

Backing up what?

They call it tedious and annoying, not pay to win

TB didnt call it that. The second tweet shows that its either grinding or Lootboxes to get the true ending.

oti

Banned
Ah, nice. Totalbiscuit is at it again, sharing information he didn't get or confirm himself. That worked out great with Hellblade. Including the bashing of media. Fun.

Also: You make a thread about a tweet about a review instead of the review itself? While we already have a review thread? Why?

Because publishers are the devil and our true and authentic YouTuber is here to save us poor consumers from the evil greed of capitalism and biased media outlets who are getting paid for good review scores.

When you run out of in-game money, you have two choices: Make a huge time investment by hunting down orcs in your game world and earning chests via vendetta missions, or spend some real money to get the more powerful orcs you need now. Does the game ever force you to spend money? No. I'm sure you can get to the end of Shadow Wars without spending a dime, as long as you're patient and persistent. But locking progress through this mode (and, again, toward the game's true ending) behind either spending more money or doing tons of tedious busywork feels at least greedy if not predatory.

I really feel like I should be allowed to tattoo this on the forehead of everyone who comes into these threads and says "So what? Its optional. As long as you can get it without paying for it, its not a problem."

Edit I see the corporate ballwashers are already attacking the messenger.

Marcel

If all you earn is a Arkham Knight-tier ending then people should be encouraged to sell the game when you reach this part because it certainly won't be worth all the grinding.

Lucifon

Hmm will reserve judgement until people get their hands on the game. I feel a lot of conclusion jumping going on here.

Regular orcs can be leveled up to legendary without paying.
How do you do that?

This GamesRadar article that describes all the ways you can acquire legendary Orcs makes it seem like you have to kill yourself on purpose to level them up (outside of buying premium crates where they are guaranteed). You can dominate ones that randomly spawn too, but I didnt see anything about leveling them.

Now all you have to do is die. That sounds easier than it actually is because your objective is to be killed by a particular kind of Orc. You rarely encounter lone Orcs, so it's easy to accidentally have the wrong one make the killing blow. You can always try over though, so don't get discouraged if you end up with a dud.

Once the Orc of your choice kills you, it's in the hands of the Random Numbers Generator. First, there's a good chance the Orc that took you out will spawn as just a regular old Orc Captain. Secondly, if the Orc in promoted in a region with no empty spots for new Orcs, they'll duel someone for their place. This can either end up in your brand-new dream Orc being killed, or one of your other favorite Orcs in the region being murdered.

However, if everything goes right, and you've cleared out a spot in advance for your new Orc, you can get an Epic or Legendary Orc Captain to spawn precisely how you want them to be. This method is incredibly frustrating, but it's the only way to exert any influence over what kind of Orcs spawn.

danowat

Banned
It's a very divisive issue.

Trouble is, most people who buy the games really don't seem to care about it.

I'm sure they will eventually, but it'll be too late then.

If all you earn is a Arkham Knight-tier ending then people should be encouraged to sell the game when you reach this part because it certainly won't be worth all the grinding.

I'm almost 100% positive that this will be the case. The game is supposedly the end of Talion's story so it'll be some short silliness that leads up to Fellowship of the Ring. I doubt it's going to fundamentally change the way we view the events of the game or anything.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Mobile game design invading full priced console titles!

Really makes you wonder what the point is in buying the game at all.

Scuffed

I was going to get it at 60% on Steam at one point but I might just skip it all together. Just too many sour moves.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
How do you do that?

This GamesRadar article that describes all the ways you can acquire legendary Orcs makes it seem like you have to kill yourself on purpose to level them up (outside of buying premium crates). You can dominate ones that randomly spawn too, but I didnt see anything about leveling them.

Hilarious. They took the only redeeming aspect of the original garbage game and instead of fleshing it out and making the rest of the game good, decided to turn it into a tedious grind with multiple RNG checks.

"Legendary orcs are only available with paid loot boxes"

This is not OK folks.

I mean it makes sense! It costs millions of dollars to have legendary football players like Ronaldo by your side. Why shouldn't it cost millions of Hobbit dollars to get Legendary orcs like Uga Luga or Ka Ka by your side!!

shimon

As I may have played more of this than Johnny, a word of warning about the microtransactions: if you want to complete the endgame and see the *true* ending, be prepared to buy the XP boosts from the store while you're playing the campaign or face a 40-50 hour grind. I finished the story in about 15 hours (and agree that it's awful), and have been grinding for 8 hours a day for the past four days just to level up enough to finish the "Shadow of War" endgame content, and it is indescribably tedious.

If this is true and it really is 40-50h grind then WTF?? Horrible

CronoShot

So it’s technically possible to get the true ending without paying (more) money if you grind for hours on end or just luck out, but otherwise you’re highly encouraged to spend more money in the game you just paid $60 for.

I mean, I’m not surprised. Loot boxes would be utterly pointless to add if it were possible to get the same rewards in a reasonable amount time in-game.

Yep 40-50 hour grind to get the true ending in a game with a supposed atrocious (Sexy Shelob TM) story and a boring open world, the sequel to an above average game at best at that. Deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep sale for me then.

Thanks for the information Gamespot, Eurogamer et all keep up the good work!

GavinUK86

Once again WB is conning everyone and some high profile reviews sites are burying the con because they're afraid of getting blacklisted and missing out on future WB perks. Fuck this game and fuck WB.

This shit should be called out so it can be shamed.

It's a very divisive issue.

Trouble is, most people who buy the games really don't seem to care about it.

I'm sure they will eventually, but it'll be too late then.

I think it's an important issue and one worth discussing but I'm not going to pass on a game I want to play because getting a "real ending" is impeded by some stupid decision by the WB.

Jackpot

Banned
Can I just clarify, have you guys played and completed the game and can confirm whether or not TB is wrong here? Or are you doing the exact thing you're accusing him of?

Eurogamer: "be prepared to buy the XP boosts from the store while you're playing the campaign or face a 40-50 hour grind."

Yakhoya84CffZoBQw7Y8V8L1LuU=.gif

Voidwolf

Implying no game in the history of video games ever had you grind for the true ending.

Gotta get some last minute outrage in before the game comes out and everyone moves onto the next big outrage.

But what other games made you grind for part of the story while conveniently giving you the option to spend even more money for it instead?

Marcel

I don't care for TB either but it seems like he's essentially saying the same thing as Eurogamer just in a disagreeable way that allows fanboys to create smokescreens in the discussion.

Zukkoyaki

While we've heard from multiple sources that it's a grind to get the true ending, the 40-50 comment isn't from Eurogamer, it's a comment on the Eurogamer review (one that's almost exclusively shitting on the game).

Everyone in here is desperate to latch onto anything that fulfills their preconceived notions.

Its a fucking dumb move, but TB's tweets read like literally the only way to get orcs to legendary status is by paying WHICH IS WHY we have people in here disparaging his framing.

TBF:
They're 100 percent right. Especially considering TB is following up by implying reviewers who don't mention this aspect of the micro-transactions are dubious. Like c'mon, TB calling someone dubious is one of those pot calling the kettle black situations after the "both sides" bullshit he pulled during GG.

And the line for how much meaningless grindy RNG progression crap people will tolerate creeps forward. If we don't look out for the publishers​ best interests, who will?

Rowsdower

How do you do that?

This GamesRadar article that describes all the ways you can acquire legendary Orcs makes it seem like you have to kill yourself on purpose to level them up (outside of buying premium crates where they are guaranteed). You can dominate ones that randomly spawn too, but I didnt see anything about leveling them.

You level up orks primarily by sending them on missions like ambushes and assassinations, and having them fight in the pits. No idea where this "no legendary orks" misinformatiom came from, they literally covered this in a developer's stream last week.

watdaeff4

While we've heard from multiple sources that it's a grind to get the true ending, the 40-50 comment isn't from Eurogamer, it's a comment on the Eurogamer review (one that's almost exclusively shitting on the game).

Everyone in here is desperate to latch onto anything that fulfills their preconceived notions.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Either way there is enough smoke here for me to wait for GAFfers impressions before buying

Top Bottom