• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of the Colossus (PS4) new trailer from TGS

Keym

This looks... more similar to the original than I thought it'd be. Huh. Seems like it's a remake in the style of Crash Bandicoot.

Not exactly a 1:1 comparison, but I thought it would be fun:

E3
TbCUjwG.png

TGS
untitled-1bhs32.png

E3
whxUmUC.png

TGS
untitled-2ihsoi.png

Shin-Ra

Wanda's hair silhouette and skin tone's a better match for the original now.

Colour grading in the E3 trailer actually looked closer to the original AFAICT though.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
It looks OK but nothing is ever going to come close to the nostalgic majesty of the original version that is embedded in my brain.

HD is nice but the definitive version for me will always be on the PS2. It was an incredible technical achievement and a fantastic game, this new version could never be as special.

MCD250

It looks good and its a great game, but at the same time it kinda feels like, why do it?
What I think every time I see it. The HD remaster isn't really that old, even. You'd think they could just rerelease that with updated graphics/resolution and an optional "modern" control scheme and be done with it. Remaking the entire game seems like a curious decision. The biggest reason I could think of to go that route would be if they were going to put in some new/additional content, but I think they've said that they aren't doing that.

Tyaren

The unique atmosphere from the original is completely gone.

I have to agree. (I don't think it's completely gone though.) Now that I see screens of the E3 and TGS trailers right next to each other, the new trailer is too vibrant and clear. The E3 trailer, like the original game, was more somber and hazy, which lead to a drearier, lonelier atmosphere, if that makes any sense.

NateDog

I felt like I was out when it was first announced because I didn't see a point in it apart mostly for new players, but hearing that OST again will likely suck me back in.

Kayant

OMG it's so beautiful 😍 😍 😍

People still going on about "lost of atmosphere"... Sad!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I'm as hyped as the next guy, and SotC is one of my top 5 favorite games of all time... but they need to fix a lot of shit for this, graphically.

robotrock

Banned
I don't really think this game is made in mind for the Team Ico diehards. Its got a different look in this, one that visually "pops" more. Might be because they're trying to reach a wider audience with this.

Really excited for it, but would be nice if they also released the PS3 remaster on PS4.

I foresee a lot of arguments on art direction after the game is released.

It's inevitable. It's always good to keep in mind that the original version (which has been remastered already, mind you) will always be available if you want to experience the original version.

Ueda is offering suggestions and has a very light presence in the game's development, so it's not like Bluepoint is just haphazardly going to town on the game without any input from the man himself. They understand how highly regarded and important the title is, and they're coming from a place of experience having worked on the PS3 remaster.

Let's see how it all comes together, and accept that this is a remake with some creative liberties. It's not going to totally satisfy everyone, but it's also impossible to do so when altering a classic.

It's inevitable. It's always good to keep in mind that the original version (which has been remastered already, mind you) will always be available if you want to experience the original version.

Ueda is offering suggestions and has a very light presence in the game's development, so it's not like Bluepoint is just haphazardly going to town on the game without any input from the man himself. They understand how highly regarded and important the title is, and they're coming from a place of experience having worked on the PS3 remaster.

Let's see how it all comes together, and accept that this is a remake with some creative liberties. It's not going to totally satisfy everyone, but it's also impossible to satisfy everyone when altering a classic.

Yep if that's the best sales pitch the game's gonna get then I am 100% out at launch. The alterations in art style aren't doing much for me positively or negatively, the PS4 version still looks amazing but I still have not seen a single compelling reason to pick this up. What's the price, surely not a penny over £30?

"Ueda is offering suggestions", "It's impossible to satisfy everyone" and "at least the original will always be there!" are really not things I was hoping to see in a thread about the big updated rerelease of one of the most critically acclaimed games in history. Bleh.

Top Bottom