• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of the Eternals (Dyack) kickstarter ends prematurely

Beth Cyra

Honestly I think this is a pretty dumb move.

Ending it early is only going to make people less likely to help in the future. If they aren't willing to stick it out to the end, then why should the people who they want to pay for it do so?

Pappasman

Is there a limit on how many times you can do a kickstarter for the same project? I really doubt that this redo will be able to spark enough interest to meet their goal.

I know the Too Human debacle wouldn't be forgotten early, but given some of the absolutely terrible stuff that gets funded hugely on Kickstarter I thought this would have a decent chance.

Kusagari

This only makes me have a worse perception of Dyack and this new company.

Let it run its course. Don't be crybabies and pull it because it isn't tracking as you wanted.

Sadist

ibx7N1nER6GWB7.gif

Honestly I think this is a pretty dumb move.

Ending it early is only going to make people less likely to help in the future. If they aren't willing to stick it out to the end, then why should the people who they want to pay for it do so?

I think the opposite, it wasn't going succeed but by ending it it's not an official failure. Now they can add in the "new opportunities" and relaunch as an updated project that needed tweaking.

"Since we announced this Kickstarter campaign we have seen more support from our community than we had ever hoped for"

Really? Because I thought you were hoping for 1.35 million dollars.

Kade

It was funny watching the Massive Chalice Kickstarter outpace both of the Shadows of The Eternals campaigns within hours.

Coolwhip

Banned
They should have thought it through more..

1. It should have been on Kickstarter from the beginning
2. It should have been all platforms
3. The goal shouldn't be so high

I doubt relaunching it now will do them any good. But I guess their reasoning is, it barely can do worse.

Vamphuntr

Yeah they should try to have a more reasonable goal. 400-500k Would be more reasonable since they had like what 300k already with both campaigns? Seeing a project at 300/500k sure is more attractive to fund than a project at 300k/1.5 million. Maybe they should downscale a bit?

Hopefully the new features will be worth it.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Sucks. Never got around to playing the first one, was looking forward to trying this out.

Quentyn

Since we announced this Kickstarter campaign we have seen more support from our community than we had ever hoped for. Along with this support has come a host of a new exciting opportunities that will make the game better than we envisioned.

Can't wait to hear about those exciting opportunities :lol

Gestault

What's funny is if Dennis Dyack had nothing to do with this, I probably would have contributed.

Problem is, when you've destroyed your reputation and your previous business, and you create a new business that does the exact same thing with the exact same people at its head and ask for people for money with no strings attached to run that business, you'll get a funny look from me. I don't care how much affection I have for an older game. You're not to be trusted. If you honestly believe you can make something that people will want to buy, you can easily get capital through traditional channels. Unless, you know, the weight of your previous actions prevents that because you've run afoul of both the law and your professional peers.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
It was funny watching the Massive Chalice Kickstarter outpace both of the Shadows of The Eternals campaigns within hours.

Funny in a way that makes me want to say "Fuck everybody."

Important note: They say they're taking it down because there are new elements to the project that will let them retool the pitch and put it up again in a few weeks' time. Clearly they understand the pitch, as envisioned, is just not working, and want to reframe it.

Marcel

Relaunch? So what, they can experience the crowdfunding equivalent of getting kicked in the nuts again? Go away, Dyack.

Schnozberry

Can't wait to hear about those exciting opportunities :lol

I think they probably mean showing up at E3 for a meeting with some moneyed interests, and if that doesn't pan out they will go back to kickstarter? Not sure what else makes sense.

I know everyone hates Dyack, but I love Eternal Darkness. Hope they still make this "sequel" even with a failed Kickstarter, now or later.

Top Bottom