• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of the Eternals - Eternal Darkness Spiritual Sequel [Crowdfunding, Dyack, ???]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celine

I wonder if the footage they have for the trailer is the footage from the prototype which Silicon Knights was making to try and pitch the game to Nintendo while burning development resources Activision was paying for which should have gone to the X-Men game instead.

*cough*
Pretty much.

How can anyone still have faith in Dyack after all he went through in the last 8 years is beyond me.

Schnozberry

But why would Dyack be making this game when Nintendo is already making ED2? Doesn't make any sense.

Because he's a petulant egomaniac who thinks he can make a superior game to whatever Nintendo is doing in house, despite his repeated unforced errors.

Discomurf

Leaked Render:
9o8xb.jpg

Similar model used in trailer:
P9RCxlV.jpg

Mifune

Mehmber
I'd say it's more likely that Nintendo has given a go-ahead to this than they are working on their own Eternal Darkness internally.

Bit-Bit

I love ED. But I have a distrust for anything Dyack.

I don't think I would be able to give money to Dyack to enable him.

Bit-Bit

Judging from Mama Robotniks thread and the pics of ED2, it looks like what we see in the trailer could be stuff that they just had lying around and was like, "let's slap it together into a trailer and see how much money we can get".

Elfteiroh

Dyack doing crowd funding? and I thought Thor giving Loki a 3rd chance in Thor 2 was a retarded idea.

This.
Seriously this.
Lol... T_T

Judging from Mama Robotniks thread and the pics of ED2, it looks like what we see in the trailer could be stuff that they just had lying around and was like, "let's slap it together into a trailer and see how much money we can get".

Yeah. I have the exact same feeling... And the comment on the Kotaku article saying that they had a small demo in a church... well... there is a church-like bulding prominently shown in that trailer... o_o Eh...

Schnozberry

I'd say it's more likely that Nintendo has given a go-ahead to this than they are working on their own Eternal Darkness internally.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but wouldn't they be on board with cash and be willing to publish it if they thought it was worthwhile?

Ridley327

I suspect this is much closer to the reality than anyone would want to admit to themselves.

Mifune

Mehmber
I'm not saying it's impossible, but wouldn't they be on board with cash and be willing to publish it if they thought it was worthwhile?

Wasn't it rumored that part of the reason Nintendo dropped ED2 was to distance themselves from SK's legal troubles?

They're probably like, yes please make it and bring it to our platform but we can't help you out anymore.

Elfteiroh

I suspect this is much closer to the reality than anyone would want to admit to themselves.

So they are basically asking for 1.1 million dollars to make a game (in one year) for which they only managed to make one church level in 2 years using someone else's money using a team a fraction of the size of the original one?

... Seems legit.

Schnozberry

Wasn't it rumored that part of the reason Nintendo dropped ED2 was to distance themselves from SK's legal troubles?

I'm not sure, as I wasn't aware of those rumors. Silicon Knights really has no assets and is down to less than 5 employees according to Wikipedia, and was ordered to destroy all of their internal materials derived from the use of Unreal Engine 3. I know they were accused of funneling money from their X-Men deal with Sega into prototyping ED2, but what engine would they have used? If these prototypes were developed using any UE3 assets, expect Epic to rain more shit on Dyack as a result.

So a colleague of mine (we work at a couple of Dutch gaming websites) was on the official crowdfunding website for this game. It was online for a short moment and then was taken offline again. But he made some screenshots.

It's all here on InsideGamer (website is in Dutch).

Images are in quotes for size (click them to enlarge them)

A few things:
- The website already had 10.000 dollar of donations, but it was impossible to donate money. Strange.
- The counter said they needed 1,2 million dollar, but in the text it said 1,1 million dollar
- The team consists of 8 men right now.
- IGN should have info on May 6th, but its strange that the website was online (for a short time)
- Dyack is chief creative, NOT ceo

If we find out more you'll hear it.

Elfteiroh

I'm not sure, as I wasn't aware of those rumors. Silicon Knights really has no assets and is down to less than 5 employees according to Wikipedia, and was ordered to destroy all of their internal materials derived from the use of Unreal Engine 3. I know they were accused of funneling money from their X-Men deal with Sega into prototyping ED2, but what engine would they have used? If these prototypes were developed using any UE3 assets, expect Epic to rain more shit on Dyack as a result.

They could be reusing the same models in another engine. The 3D models are not tied to the engine. Only the way used to render them is engine-specific.

Schnozberry

They could be reusing the same models in another engine. The 3D models are not tied to the engine. Only the way used to render them is engine-specific.

Yeah, I just have no idea. Hopefully it's their own tech. It doesn't seem to have the Unreal 3 waxy look.

So a colleague of mine (we work at a couple of Dutch gaming websites) was on the official crowdfunding website for this game. It was online for a short moment and then was taken offline again. But he made some screenshots.

A few things:
- The website already had 10.000 dollar of donations, but it was impossible to donate money. Strange.
- The counter said they needed 1,2 million dollar, but in the text it said 1,1 million dollar
- IGN should have info on May 6th, but its strange that the website was online (for a short time)

Smells like the ocean in here...

Mifune

Mehmber
From that picture it looks like Ken McCulloch is onboard. That's good news. He and Denis wrote ED and Blood Omen.

So more info, not on our website, but this text has been taken straight from the crowdfunding website that's offline right now. Its all too exciting to keep for ourselves so here you go NeoGAF :)

Darkness has returned…

When Detective Paul Becker is called to one of the bloodiest gang massacres in Louisiana state history, only two survivors remain from a brutal conflict between two rival cults. As Becker begins his interrogations of the suspects, their combined recollections will uncover the truth about the ‘Eternals’.

Featuring an ensemble cast of heroes and villains, Shadow of the Eternals will span over 2500 years of history throughout Egypt, England, Hungary, and the United States. Players will question the perception of reality as they try to balance the mechanics of combat, magick, and sanity events to progress through the adventure.

Shadow of the Eternals will take players on a memorable journey throughout time; weaving historical fact with disturbing fiction to create an experience unlike any other.
The Production of Episode 1

A major portion of Episode 1 of Shadow of the Eternals takes place at the real-life location of Erzebet Bathory’s home, Cachtice Castle, in Hungary 1610 AD.
Detective Paul Becker

Clara

Erezebet Bathory, The Blood Countess

The Game Pillars
Order vs Chaos

Order and Chaos are alignments (themes), associated with the Greater Eternals, that define the state of the game world. A Balance between them is the optimal state. Order and Chaos are in constant opposition with one another, but should not be associated with Good and Evil.

Historical fact woven with disturbing fiction

The lore of Shadow of the Eternals will be coupled with content that is historically accurate, in that either it did happen during the corresponding time period, or it is reasonable that it could have happened.
Question the perception of reality

Sanity Events will be a vehicle for the game to achieve exploration, storytelling, investigation, and puzzle-solving that will help develop adventure elements.

Episodic Adventure

Shadow of the Eternals will cover 2500 years of human history in a variety of locations across the globe. Each episode will highlight one of these locations and a unique story featuring characters that are part of a larger ensemble cast. Players will piece together how each character’s fate is intertwined with one another as more episodes are released.

Our Goal

Shadow of the Eternals will be an episodic series, and to complete the first episode and continue production on future episodes, we need approximately 1.1 million dollars. Any money raised beyond this will contribute to future episodes, additional characters, in-game perks, and additional platforms. The more money that we raise, the more we will deliver based on what our fans want.

Stretch Goals Progress

The Order of the Unseen

Upon pledging, you will be granted a Forum Ribbon with access to our Official Development Forums, and a place within the “Order of the Unseen,” where you can begin sharing your ideas about all aspects of Shadow of the Eternals, helping create an experience that you – the gamer – want to play. Your participation in the forums will be rewarded with having your name included in the game credits, merchandise, and much more!

The email that you use to pledge should be the same email you use to register with our community forums. It does not matter whether you sign up for the forums before, or after pledging – our database will recognize you.

Why Crowdfunding?

The primary reason to crowdfund Shadow of the Eternals is because it allows us to work directly with our fans, and gain valuable feedback in developing the project. We can develop a rapport with our audience that would otherwise be difficult in a traditional setting.

Secondly, the games industry is currently in a state in which publishers no longer take chances on a project like this. We feel that the best way to bring this title to the public is to release it independently.

Who We Are

Precursor Games is founded by a team of experienced game developers on the belief that digital distribution has shaped the way video games are made. Precursor is committed to fan interaction, and involving the community in its development process.

As fans voice their opinions and ideas, we will receive the feedback and criticism necessary to deliver the best games possible. Precursor will release its games directly to the fans.

How To Pledge

Simply scroll to the top of the page. On the right side you’ll see the “Support Now” button on our Crowdfunding application. On the Checkout page, you’ll be able to select which tier you’d like to pledge towards, and see the rewards you’ll receive. Here you must also enter your email address, as that email will help us recognize you when granting access to our Official Development Forums.

Once you click Complete Checkout, you’ll be redirected to Paypal to complete the payment. Please do not hesitate to email us with any questions you may have at support@precursorgames.com

The Rewards

Exclusive Membership in the Order of the Unseen gives you the following:

Access to the Official Development Forums
Direct interaction with the development team of Shadow of the Eternals
Membership card (Digital)
Community Participation Rewards

Community Participation Rewards:
Being a member of the Order rewards players for contributing to the community forums. By contributing to the forums you may receive the following rewards:

Your name in the credits of Shadow of the Eternals (in-game)
Contribution to the Ephemeral Codex (physical book)
Privileges to vote on the best community created Sanity Events (in-game)

Receive the Pilot episode of Shadow of the Eternals – ‘A Dream Within A Dream’.Click here to read more about Episode 1.

Receive the first five episodes of Shadow of the Eternals as they are released. Each episode features at least one playable character, access to a variety of new play mechanics, historically accurate weapons, locations and new magick.

Receive the first six episodes of Shadow of the Eternals as they are released. Each episode features at least one playable character, access to a variety of new play mechanics, historically accurate weapons, locations and new magick.

Receive the entire first season of Shadow of the Eternals (twelve episodes). Each episode features at least one playable character, access to a variety of new play mechanics, historically accurate weapons, locations and new magick.

Receive a digital download to the DRM-free Original Soundtrack for Shadow of the Eternals: Episode 1. Available in mp3, mp4, and WAV formats.

TODO – YouTube Video for Bathory”s Theme with a concept art.

Receive in-game entry to a hidden room called Whateley’s Secret Study, containing special weapons, spells and items to aid you on your journey throughout Shadow of the Eternals.

A powerful in-game weapon from the past. Magickally enchanted, it is both a melee weapon and ranged weapon projecting a spectral image of itself towards its intended victim.

Change the appearance of playable characters Clara and Becker with outfits to be voted on by the community.

The official script for the game released in episodic installments.

Listen to audio recordings of ‘Whateley’s Journal’, narrated by the mysterious Whateley himself.

Character Concept Mini-Poster of one of the main characters from Shadow of the Eternals. Measures 9 x 11.

Character Concept Mini-Poster of one of the main characters from Shadow of the Eternals. Exclusively signed and numbered by the team. Measures 9 x 11.

High Quality Poster for Shadow of the Eternals. Measures 24 x 36.

High Quality Poster for Shadow of the Eternals. Exclusively signed and numbered by the team. Measures 24 x 36.

Hardcover of the Ephemeral Codex. High quality color volume packed with ‘Making Of’ excerpts, design documents, concept art, sketches, notes and Shadow of the Eternals lore. (Hardcover, 200 pages)

Limited Edition Hardcover of the Ephemeral Codex. Exclusively signed and numbered by the team, with a Certificate of Authenticity included. High quality color volume packed with ‘Making Of’ excerpts, design documents, concept art, sketches, notes and Shadow of the Eternals lore. (Hardcover, 200 pages)

Your own Personal Dossier and Photograph added to the universe of the game, forever inscribed in Shadow of the Eternals: Episode 1 for other players to discover.

Have a 60 minute Skype video-call with a Precursor Games team member or members of your choice to talk about the game, your ideas, your questions, and anything else!

Work with the Shadow of the Eternals team to create your own Sanity Event to play with the minds of countless other unsuspecting players, along with anAssociate Game Designer credit.

Get your name in the Shadow of the Eternals Credits as an Executive Producer, to be displayed on a dedicated title card.

Visit the Precursor Games studio with an invitation to a private party celebrating the creation of Shadow of the Eternals.

The Pledge Tiers

View the table to get an overview of the rewards for each tier.

OFFICIAL SUPPORTER ($5) includes the following: Shadow of the Eternals Episode 1; Membership to the Order of the Unseen.

SANE SUPPORTER LE ($25) includes the following: Everything from Official Supporter; Shadow of the Eternals Episodes 1-6 (first episode is FREE).

SANE SUPPORTER ($25) includes the following: Everything from Official Supporter; Shadow of the Eternals Episodes 1-5.

BOUND SUPPORTER LE ($50) includes the following: Everything from Sane Supporter; Shadow of the Eternals Season 1 (Episodes 1-12, two FREE episodes); Access to 'Whateley's Secret Study'.

BOUND SUPPORTER ($50) includes the following: Everything from Sane Supporter; Shadow of the Eternals Season 1 (Episodes 1-12, two free episodes).

MAGICKAL SUPPORTER LE ($100) includes the following: Everything from Bound Supporter LE; Exclusive in-game enchanted weapon ‘Tyrannus’ Gladius’; DRM-free digital Original Soundtrack; Alternate Player Costumes, digital version of Episode 1 Script, digital audio recordings of ‘Whateley’s Journal’.

MAGICKAL SUPPORTER ($100) includes the following: Everything from Bound Supporter; DRM-free digital Original Soundtrack; Alternate Player Costumes, digital version of Episode 1 Script, digital copy of ‘Whateley’s Journal’.

CHARACTER SUPPORTER LE ($150) includes the following: Everything from Magickal Supporter LE; High Quality Character Concept Sheet exclusively signed and numbered by the team.

CHARACTER SUPPORTER ($150) includes the following: Everything from Magickal Supporter LE; High Quality Character Concept Mini-Sheet.

ICONIC SUPPORTER LE ($250) includes the following: Everything from Character Supporter LE; High Quality Poster exclusively signed and numbered by the team.

ICONIC SUPPORTER ($250) includes the following: Everything from Character Supporter; High Quality Poster.

TOME SUPPORTER LE ($500) includes the following: Everything from Iconic Supporter LE; ‘Ephemeral Codex’ (Hardcover, 200 pages) exclusively signed and numbered by the team. Certificate of Authenticity included.

TOME SUPPORTER ($500) includes the following: Everything from Iconic Supporter; ‘Ephemeral Codex’ (Hardcover, 200 pages).

INSCRIBED SUPPORTER ($1000) includes the following: Everything from the ‘Ephemeral Codex’; Personal Dossier.

CHANNELED SUPPORTER ($2000) includes the following: Everything from the Inscribed Supporter; 60 min conference call with a Precursor Games staff member(s) of your choice.

INSANE SUPPORTER ($5000) includes the following: Everything from Channeled Supporter; Work with Precursor to design your own Sanity Event.

ETERNAL SUPPORTER ($10,000) includes the following: Everything from Insane Supporter; Attend the Private Launch Party; Receive an Executive Producer Credit.

Elfteiroh

Interesting that the Nintendo World Report article mentions 'creating your own sanity effect' as a crowd-sourcing reward.

Wonder how they're going to get around Nintendo's patent on that one.

If I remember correctly, the use of a sanity meter is included in the patent... So, technically, if they don't SHOW a sanity meter, and give no way to the player to know the sanity level, that COULD get around the patent.

[EDIT] Forget it, I just reread the patent. I'm stupid.

[EDIT2] But! The patent mention that the level of preparation to the encounter can leverage the amount of sanity lost as well as the type of encounter... Technically, if they make the sanity loss a flat loss, no matter what is the encounter... and make some more minute changes, that COULD be pulled off.

Schnozberry

If I remember correctly, the use of a sanity meter is included in the patent... So, technically, if they don't SHOW a sanity meter, and give no way to the player to know the sanity level, that COULD get around the patent.

Nintendo would also have to take legal action to enforce the patent, too. If the game is slated for release on Wii U, they might grant a license or just choose not to take legal action.

scitek

I don't know, I think in some cases, going from (compared to today's industry) smaller productions to working on games with tens of millions of dollars on the line might have been too much for some guys to handle. Maybe working on a smaller scale release without the pressure of it needing to sell 3 million copies just to make its money back could help someone like Dyack find his old self again. I can't say I'd trust him with my money, though.

Mifune

Mehmber
Really, these guys should just hole up and make something smaller and downloadable to try to gain a little cred back. Asking for a million bucks after all the bridges they've burned seems like madness to me.

Some of those game details sound pretty cool, though.

JDSN

Banned

A few things:

Its not even out and its already shady. That fact that is has its own site instead of KS means it might be one of those "Flexible funding"campaings where they keep your cash even if the goal isnt reached.

Elfteiroh

Nintendo would also have to take legal action to enforce the patent, too. If the game is slated for release on Wii U, they might grant a license or just choose not to take legal action.

Yeah, but if they don't follow enough "claims" as defined in the patent, they could win. But yeah, it's assured that Nintendo will have to sue if they don't pay the license fee... Something I wouldn't be surprised of Dyack. It's very probable he will just act all surprised, and act all innocent, saying Nintendo is out of their mind to sue him, that they have absolutely no claim whatsoever to that mechanic, or something like that. :O

Meelow

Banned
Because he's a petulant egomaniac who thinks he can make a superior game to whatever Nintendo is doing in house, despite his repeated unforced errors.

Well if this is true than good luck to him, trying to compete with Nintendo, especially since not everyone is happy with him.

SmithnCo

A few things:
- Dyack is chief creative, NOT ceo

8 guys? ...Huh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom