• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of the Eternals is back! Dyack launches new transmedia company!

BY2K

Membero Americo
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/10/31/denis-dyack-announces-new-entertainment-company?+main+twitter

Denis Dyack, formerly of Silcon Knights, has formed a new entertainment company, Quantum Entanglement Entertainment Inc., or "QE2."

The new company will not only develop video games, but will also create movies and television programming. Dyack says this is where the future is, calling the merging of all three platforms "The Singularity."

"A lot of the television that you're seeing is really bleeding into a lot of the things that we do in video games," Dyack said. "A lot of the things that you see in film are bleeding into a lot of the things that we do in video games.

"I wanted to do something that was a lot more than just video games."

Dyack will serve as the Chief Creative Officer for QE2, but he's not alone in the venture. Chief Executive Officer Jonathan Soon-Shiong has an extensive film and television background in Canada, including his time as Deputy Executive Director, Strategy and Finance at the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. Chief Operating Officer Paul Rapovski has experience as a film and television producer, and as an actor and director. Rapovski was also an assistant fight coordinator for "Pacific Rim," and provided motion capture aspects for Dyack's Silicon Knights title "Too Human."

One of the first projects we'll see from QE2 will be the return of Shadow of the Eternals -- a spiritual successor to the Silicon Knights cult-classic Eternal Darkness. Dyack tried to relaunch the game a few times through crowdfunding, but the project stalled after failing to reach it's goals.

However, he said Shadow of the Eternals is actively in production now. And it won't just be a video game.

"(We're) looking at it from a film and television side," Dyack said. "We've got more going on that we're just not ready to talk about yet."

Taking a look at the current video game landscape Dyack said the gamer has more say in what they want to play. And he said a successful game isn't hardware-dependent anymore.

"It could be successful on a cell phone, it could be successful on a console, it could be successful on a PC," he said. "(It's) a combination of things gamers have wanted to see for a long time."

Takao

Banned
Denis Dyack, formerly of Silcon Knights, has formed a new entertainment company, Quantum Entanglement Entertainment Inc., or "QE2."

The new company will not only develop video games, but will also create movies and television programming. Dyack says this is where the future is, calling the merging of all three platforms "The Singularity."

"A lot of the television that you're seeing is really bleeding into a lot of the things that we do in video games," Dyack said. "A lot of the things that you see in film are bleeding into a lot of the things that we do in video games.

"I wanted to do something that was a lot more than just video games."

Dyack will serve as the Chief Creative Officer for QE2, but he's not alone in the venture. Chief Executive Officer Jonathan Soon-Shiong has an extensive film and television background in Canada, including his time as Deputy Executive Director, Strategy and Finance at the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. Chief Operating Officer Paul Rapovski has experience as a film and television producer, and as an actor and director. Rapovski was also an assistant fight coordinator for "Pacific Rim," and provided motion capture aspects for Dyack's Silicon Knights title "Too Human."

One of the first projects we'll see from QE2 will be the return of Shadow of the Eternals -- a spiritual successor to the Silicon Knights cult-classic Eternal Darkness. Dyack tried to relaunch the game a few times through crowdfunding, but the project stalled after failing to reach it's goals.

However, he said Shadow of the Eternals is actively in production now. And it won't just be a video game.

"(We're) looking at it from a film and television side," Dyack said. "We've got more going on that we're just not ready to talk about yet."

Taking a look at the current video game landscape Dyack said the gamer has more say in what they want to play. And he said a successful game isn't hardware-dependent anymore.

"It could be successful on a cell phone, it could be successful on a console, it could be successful on a PC," he said. "(It's) a combination of things gamers have wanted to see for a long time." IGN Logo

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/10/...+twitter&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

L Thammy

This sounds like he's retreating from the video game because it isn't working out, and also trying to get a wider range of government grants. Although admittedly I don't know if Canadian media grants work like that.

Expect any footage to hail from the same unfinished vertical slice that the last company behind the Kickstarter bid inherited from Silicon Knights and shopped around without having hired any real development staff. I'd be surprised if Dyack shipped a game in this industry again.

Derphoof

That's the vibe I was getting when I was looking through that folder.

There's several recognizeable film/videogame properties listed in the picture folder.

There's Pacific Rim, Scott Pilgrim, Legacy of Kain and Shadows of the Eternals, to name a few.

There was also this "games/tv/film" picture:

GamesTvFilm.png

Along with "The Singularity"

As long as I get the game I'll follow along. Played ED for the first time a couple years ago and loved it, I'd love to see more.

JDSN

Banned
Oh boy, I mentioned in my previous post the importance of keeping this guy in a short leash...and now he is gonna try to make games and film? This will be entertaining, but it will end with no games done.

Oh boy, I mentioned in my previous post the importance of keeping this guy in a short leash...and now he is gonna try to make games and film? This will be entertaining, but it will end with no games done.

The importance.... Why is it important to keep him in a short leash?

LeleSocho

Banned

This is going to end so well that i'm already laughing.

Clefargle

Oh man, I used to pine for a true eternal darkness sequel, now Im not even hopeful considering the state of the IP. I don't think I ever want to play another ED game from Dyack, I'd be happier with a good third party remake or even a sequel, but not like this. It feels like it's so nebulous now that it could literally turn out to be anything. Soooooo Jaded....

Ah I didn't realize this was literally the same game Dyack had tried to kickstart and failed twice to do thus the trailers are old

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
OT, but I recognize the Darknet pictures. What ever came of those horror shorts? I remember the one with the dude with the stitches being pretty okay.

I know its basically pointless discussing Dyack on Gaf for reasons that are entirely his own Hubris, but Eternal Darkness (and presumably any spiritual sucessor) inherently lends itself well to a serialised TV adaptation and episodic gaming.

I mean, its a lot better of an idea for cross media entertainment than Defiance is/was for example.

chadboban

This all sounds kinda weird. Do we even know what platforms this is gonna be on?

I loved eternal darkness, but I'm not sure how to feel about what I'm reading here.

Denis has a B. Physical Education, H. BSc in Computer Science, M. Sc in Computer Science. Denis recently graduated from Miskatonic University with full honors in Quantum Theory believing one can never be educated enough to deal with the unknown.

Yeah.

element

Why do people take this shit serious?

http://www.que-ee.com/news/

The animated Quantum Entanglement Stages? WTF does that even mean and why is it there?

Also why does Denis new company get to take credit for his old games? Serious dick move. I can understand in your bio explaining your background, but why is QE2 trying to say they made them?

While I'm at it, why are parts of Denis bio bolded? Just screams 'look at me' I did important things. What a hack.

So is this all a joke then?

Miskatonic University appears to be fake

Miskatonic University is a fictional university located in Arkham, a fictitious town in Essex County, Massachusetts. It is named after the Miskatonic River (also fictional). After first appearing in H. P. Lovecraft's 1922 story "Herbert West–Reanimator", the school appeared in numerous Cthulhu Mythos stories by Lovecraft and other writers. The story "The Dunwich Horror" implies that Miskatonic University is a highly prestigious university, on par with Harvard University, and that Harvard and Miskatonic are the two most popular schools for the children of the Massachusetts “Old Gentry”. The university also appears in role-playing games based on the mythos.

And I can't find any real institutes that bear the name

stryke

From failed kickstarters to trying to break into the tv/movie business...I don't know what to think anymore.

The Miskatonic thing is obviously a joke and a reference to Eternal Darkness' Lovecraftian influences. Not that it makes the whole thing any less sketchy.

That's what I thought but I would think the one place you don't want to joke around is in your credentials. Seems poor form

Top Bottom