• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of the Eternals is back! Dyack launches new transmedia company!

spanks

I remember talk of an Eternal Darkness TV series back in the day. That or a movie could be pretty awesome; story and atmosphere were easily the best thing about the game.

malfcn

You can see all sorts of Silicon Knights related images (and other random stuff) are hosted on that site on: http://www.que-ee.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/

%D0%A0%D0%B8%D0%B4%D0%B4%D0%B8%D0%BA-%D0%BA%D1%80%D0%B0%D1%81%D0%B8%D0%B2%D1%8B%D0%B5-%D0%BA%D0%B0%D1%80%D1%82%D0%B8%D0%BD%D0%BA%D0%B8-%D0%BF%D0%BE%D0%B4-%D0%BA%D0%B0%D1%82%D0%BE%D0%BC-%D0%B5%D1%89%D0%B5-591455-550x400.jpeg

Riddick, and weird file names.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Also... Where does he find the money?
Really the biggest question of them all. This is so weird.

Also, lol @ the "corporate website". They forgot to configure their CMS for twitter:

Your twitter application info is not set correctly in option panel, please create please login to twitter developers here, create new application and new access tocken, then go to theme option panel social section and fill the data you got from application

(Bottom of page)

Malio

I was excited about this until I see it's tied in with a movie, and TV and anime and other bullshit. I just want the sequel to Eternal Darkness...but I can tell that ain't happening. *sigh*

Oddduck

Why do people take this shit serious?

http://www.que-ee.com/news/

The animated Quantum Entanglement Stages? WTF does that even mean and why is it there?

Also why does Denis new company get to take credit for his old games? Serious dick move. I can understand in your bio explaining your background, but why is QE2 trying to say they made them?

While I'm at it, why are parts of Denis bio bolded? Just screams 'look at me' I did important things. What a hack.

I've seen studios do this before actually. Crash Labs takes credit for making games that Free Radical, Rareware, and Crytek made. Because Crash Labs is made up of veteran employees who worked at Rare, Crytek, and Free Radical.

http://www.crashlab.co.uk/oldgames.php

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
What, Event Horizon cited too?
Too many unknow elements for me to be elaborated...
Call me when it's confirmed for Wii U.

What makes Dyack think that Shadow of the Eternals will succeed as a multimedia franchise when the community has rejected it twice? I'm assuming they must have got a publisher on board, as it seems pointless going the Kickstarter route again.

For what it's worth I do think the game looks and sounds interesting, I just don't trust Dyack with money, and given how long it's been since Eternal Darkness (or even a legitimately good game) I'm not convinced they have the ability to make the game they're envisioning, unless it's all under a good publisher who keeps the studio on a very short leash.

One of the 14 mystery Wii U games perhaps?

14 mystery Wii U games?! Can you tell more or provide a link?

cappies

I wonder if Paul Caporicci is involved.

I'm not. Shawn and I started Creative Bytes Studios last November and we've been mostly helping out other game developers (like the XBOX 360 port of Guacamelee STCE for Drinkbox). We also made a kids app as a portfolio piece as we wanted some mobile and unity experience.

shaki123

I'm not. Shawn and I started Creative Bytes Studios last November and we've been mostly helping out other game developers (like the XBOX 360 port of Guacamelee STCE for Drinkbox). We also made a kids app as a portfolio piece as we wanted some mobile and unity experience.

Wouldn't it be time to change your username etc. Just saying.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Wouldn't it be time to change your username etc. Just saying.

The tag's not up to cappies, junior.

I'm glad to see Denis coming back in some form. I was afraid he was just done with it all. Remains to be seen what the true nature of this will be, but just glad to see him back in the ring. New headshots too, since he lost a bunch of weight.

dyack.jpg

6 years and some people can't seem to let go

The grudges just follow the tone of permanent bans. No forgiveness ever. People convicted of crimes get out of jail but internet justice is permanent and irrevocable exile (unless you're dishonest and proxy up an alt--making it like DRM, punishing only honest people). *shrug*

Sounds like their vision is pretty big although I hope we just have a nice proper sequel to play first. Anything else would be icing though.

OmegaX

This must be a money laundering scheme, or maybe he is planning to sue Crytek after the game flops. Anyway, jail sounds like a reasonable outcome.

jeffers

so if this shadows trailer is the Precursor one, which is the silicon one... was dyack pretending he wasnt a bigger part of Precursor? 'cause surely it was his property before and after precursor. I like how he just carries so much confusion to everything he touches :p

ShinMaruku

The grudges just follow the tone of permanent bans. No forgiveness ever. People convicted of crimes get out of jail but internet justice is permanent and irrevocable exile (unless you're dishonest and proxy up an alt--making it like DRM, punishing only honest people). *shrug*
People convicted once have a high rate of recidivism due to prison fucking them up and the conviction putting them in less desirable employment needs and they commit crime again.

But I see your point. If I were Dennis I'd make something to build back my rep rather than coming out like this. Doing this after the last failure and all that baggage? Not wise. And making company after company. That is some Mafia type shit (If it's just grabbing money and cutting)

Verger

Banned
Yeah, the Dyack hate here is just overboard. It's similar to the vitriol I see towards David Cage on these forums. People seem awfully gleeful and even hopeful for him to fail at anything.

I loved Eternal Darkness and I just want something similar to be released in some form. Dyack wrote the story for it, which was the most important aspect so he has to be involved.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
People convicted once have a high rate of recidivism due to prison fucking them up and the conviction putting them in less desirable employment needs and they commit crime again.

But I see your point. If I were Dennis I'd make something to build back my rep rather than coming out like this. Doing this after the last failure and all that baggage? Not wise. And making company after company. That is some Mafia type shit (If it's just grabbing money and cutting)

Hopefully that's what he'll do. Precursor as a company was started with Ken McCullough, had cappies as CEO, a dozen ex Silicon Knights people. It seemed there was hope if the game was funded that that company would be able to source work in that local market to a number of other ex SK and other dev people. Mafia? what money? There was no money, everyone had to move on.

Might as well step up in front of a new company. Everyone's going to treat any company he's a part of like his own enterprise answerable for past mistakes anyway.

My understanding has been that any of Dyack's projects that have succeeded have done so in spite of him, and not because of him. Loved Eternal Darkness, though.

Finster

Also... Where does he find the money?

Well, let's see... yup, based in Toronto, Ontario. Chalk it up to another video game subsidy scheme, just like Piranha Games and all of their failed predecessors.

It's Canadian tax-payers money, hard at work!

element

I have no idea why Nintendo hasn't just funded this and put it out as ED2

...unless they know something we dont.
Because they know better. While ED was a solid game, it wasn't a financial hit. Same with Too Human, X-Men, and The Box (canceled). All of them went over budget and under performed.

I've seen studios do this before actually. Crash Labs takes credit for making games that Free Radical, Rareware, and Crytek made. Because Crash Labs is made up of veteran employees who worked at Rare, Crytek, and Free Radical.

http://www.crashlab.co.uk/oldgames.php
I too have seen it done like that. It is similar but not the same IMO. I also think it is disingenuous for a creative lead like Denis attempt to take credit for the game as an entity. Goes in line with things I've heard about how he runs development teams in an pseudo feudalism hierarchy.

Oh well hopefully any money he gets it is from some wealthy venture capital group and not fans.

My understanding has been that any of Dyack's projects that have succeeded have done so in spite of him, and not because of him. Loved Eternal Darkness, though.
Pretty much.

Ziron

Neo Member
The fact that they have someone from Bell Media on their advisory board makes me think that this company does have some real money behind it.

I guess we will eventually see Shadow of the Eternals in some form. I wouldn't be surprised if it is some cross media blitz with a TV mini-series tie-in.

element

Because it worked out so well for Defiance, didn't it? Can't wait for his next "are you for or against" thread.
And Hawken. I can't think of a largely successful transmedia project where all media types align. Typically an IP becomes strong enough for demand in other media types (successful movie to game or game to movie/tv), but really haven't seen an original IP be able to successfully launch with multiple media types. Even huge IPs like Halo have either been stuck or have been reduced to web series.

And Hawken. I can't think of a largely successful transmedia project where all media types align. Typically an IP becomes strong enough for demand in other media types (successful movie to game or game to movie/tv), but really haven't seen an original IP be able to successfully launch with multiple media types. Even huge IPs like Halo have either been stuck or have been reduced to web series.
Maybe in America but Pokemon and youkai watch all say otherwise

Tamanator

I have no idea why Nintendo hasn't just funded this and put it out as ED2

...unless they know something we dont.

It was rumoured that Nintendo had contracted Silicon Knights to develop Eternal Darkness 2, but backed out after SK's lawsuit which left them bankrupt. It's all conjecture, but would help explain the quality of some of the assets/footage shown so far for Shadow of the Eternals.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Look, I backed Shadows of the Eternals. Not with much, but I backed it. Even if the promises weren't reasonable or likely to be met. Even if the game played exactly like Eternal Darkness in all its archaic glory, and simply carried on the themes and presentation. I backed it, figured why not, and if it collapsed I'd get a refund. And it did, and I did.

This however? I have no fucking idea what's going on.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPVFUCWx1QQ&feature=youtu.be

IGN re-uploaded the Shadow of the Eternals trailer but now it seems it's produced by Quantum Entanglement Entertainment? I can't find anything on these guys on Google.

EDIT: StreetsAhead found a page to the producer which shows a countdown ending at 10AM EDT tomorrow. http://www.que-ee.com/

Up: Quantum Entanglement Entertainment is Dyack's new company. Shadow of the Eternal is now a video game, a movie and a tv show?

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/10/31/denis-dyack-announces-new-entertainment-company?+main+twitter

Motion capture for Too Human? Considering how bad it looked in the final product, I would almost take it off my resume if I were him...

Sorry for the bump, but has there been any news on anything from this company? Looking around, all I could find was one of the founders runs a media investment group (here's the feature-rich site for his 2+ year international media company). And their underdevelopment projects (one tv thing and the one game) have no info, except for a couple of pictures and the old Shadow of the Eternals stuff from the failed Kickstarter. Nothing else has changed on the site except for a news article about them donating some sets to a university, and a blog post by Dyack entitled "A Positive Trend from #GamerGate"
Much of what has happened around GamerGate has hurt the video game industry and perpetuated the myth of significant misogyny issues within the Gaming Industry.

Like Amy, I have also not seen harassment of women or misogynistic issues in my 25+ years in the industry, although I understand it means significantly less coming from me, being male.

Nothing else. I couldn't find their business registrations since I don't know how to do this for Canadian companies, whois is all private, and it looks like they have a lease on a suite in a small office building with a bunch of other companies, predominately lawyers. No idea who is funding them (except for maybe that other media company the CEO heads?). The info is so anemic.

Everything on the website is just marketing babble and so much is repeated several times as if content placeholders. Has anyone in this company spoken about it since last October?

Top Bottom