• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider - Cover Art, New Render, Editions, Info...

People think Destiny and Destiny 2 are PS4 exclusive due to these deals. Gotta remember not everyone in the world is glued to an online gaming forum.
Really? All TV ads I saw for Witcher 3 for X1, yet looking at sales it seems everyone figured out it was on PC and PS4 by not being glued to a forum.

Then again this is Destiny players you're talking about. :D

Okay that was mean.

OldBoyGamer

Banned
Go ahead & pretend I'm wrong. In both recent entries all Lara does is apply self motivational speech in the cringiest manner possible, i.e. "you can do this Lara" "I must go on" etc. etc.

I'm hardly the only one who has noticed this problem.
No you definately aren't the only one - I was shouting at her to STFU from about half way in. I didn't mind the voice acting so much it was more the sheer amount of it! That's on the Devs btw not the actress.

Orta

Banned
The hatred for this franchise is puzzling. They are solid games and I would have thought in this day and age of promoting female empowerment, people would be raving about a new Lara Croft game (even if it is just lip service).

Y2H

Go ahead & pretend I'm wrong. In both recent entries all Lara does is apply self motivational speech in the cringiest manner possible, i.e. "you can do this Lara" "I must go on" etc. etc.

You aren't wrong. I've been playing Rise of the Tomb Raider these past few months and the dialogue that sticks out the most is whenever Lara tells herself 'I've got to do this', 'I've got to do that' in that weird, exasperated, breathless tone. I miss the old confident Lara who would make casual remarks about the danger she faces and had a team on the radio she could banter with.

The current games are fun but Lara's annoying 'I've got to do this' reassurance moments need to be dialled back. She's been on two adventures now and faced death countless times, she should have at least developed a slight sense of humour about constantly surviving these impossible odds and being a one-woman army.

Really? All TV ads I saw for Witcher 3 for X1, yet looking at sales it seems everyone figured out it was on PC and PS4 by not being glued to a forum.

Then again this is Destiny players you're talking about. :D

Okay that was mean.
Iv seen people on Twitter and at my school legit discover that games like Destiny are in fact not PS4 exclusive.

Its a sight to behold really. Maybe its because I dont watch tv much anymore but Witcher had TV ads? I assume 30sec versions of those CG ones they released.

The hatred for this franchise is puzzling. They are solid games and I would have thought in this day and age of promoting female empowerment, people would be raving about a new Lara Croft game (even if it is just lip service).
The reboot was pretty much enjoyed by everyone with some solid criticisms, the second one was better in pretty much every aspect but was hated on for being a timed exclusive so that overshadowed that game. That plus terrible comparisons like Uncharted (TR really isnt like Uncharted people...) plus people still annoyed that she kills people...in the third game. Also have been seeing people say this game is racist off the new trailer for which im completely baffled by but you know...

Guaranteed if this trilogy wasnt Tomb Raider but instead was named "Unearthed" or some shit it wouldnt be getting the hate and in fact be regarded pretty damn highly by everyone.

ruvikx

Banned
They toned down the sex appeal with the new model / face.

And increased the size of her muscles to the extent she no longer resembles Lara Croft at all. It also still looks like the same old "angst, pain, agony story with beaucoup grim dark environments" as the others, so I'm on the fence.

octiny

Banned
What the fuck did they did they do to her face in that trailer? Terrible. Looks like a completely different character. At least stay consistent with the other 2 games.

ruvikx

Banned
What the fuck did they did they do to her face in that trailer? Terrible. Looks like a completely different character. At least stay consistent with the other 2 games.

Yep, just look at 2:01 minutes in the trailer: buff (almost like army level muscles) & no longer looks feminine at all, i.e. she looks manly. It's gross stuff.

Lara looks ready to fight some Predators.

There goes hope of alternate/DLC outfits not sucking. Also bow, no pistols in sight again...yaaay........ Would rather have Lara Croft vs. Predator.

Iv seen people on Twitter and at my school legit discover that games like Destiny are in fact not PS4 exclusive.

Its a sight to behold really. Maybe its because I dont watch tv much anymore but Witcher had TV ads? I assume 30sec versions of those CG ones they released.
Weird.

Yeah it was, if I remember correctly.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Trailer looks ok in terms of showing off the setting etc, but agree that the changeup in the face is kind of weird given this isn't a reboot versus a sequel.

-MD-

You definitely aren't the only one.

octiny

Banned
Yep, just look at 2:01 minutes in the trailer: buff (almost like army level muscles) & no longer looks feminine at all, i.e. she looks manly. It's gross stuff.

I'm guessing it's just the CGI trailer, considering she also looked different in the ROTTR CGI trailer vs the actual game. Definitely doesn't resemble anything close to that magazine artwork for her in the OP.

There's a demo out to the media, NDA lifts on it in about 90 minutes, so least we'll get some actual in-game footage.

cireza

Banned
Extremely disappointed because this was another CG thing.

I will eventually be satisfied when I see interesting/quality gameplay, but this kind of reveal annoys me the most. And I don't like how she looks in this video, hoping it is not too representative of the in-game model.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Also for what it's worth I really enjoyed the games from a gameplay and mechanistic perspective, but I thought the actual writing and characterisation in both was pretty dismal. Broad brush characters bordering on cliche's, obvious beats and zero surprises or revelations throughout. I don't rate Rhianna Pratchett as a writer at all, She had a brief career as a fairly uninspiring game reviewer back in the day and I think that and her famous father (RIP) has benefitted her in getting her game writing gigs, but it's just not compelling stuff when all is said and done.

Last edited:

Cranberrys

It's gonna be awesome. I love the First Blood vibe of Lara since 2013 and this trailer reminds me of the beginning of the movie, in the forest.

It's like in TR 2013 when she gets the grenade launcher and yells "that's right, run you bastards, I'm coming for you all !".

I can't wait.

pawel86ck

Banned
For me rise of the tomb raider was really amazing game, to be honest I liked it more than uncharted 4, so I cant wait to see shadow of the tomb raider,

I like the new Tomb Raider's exploration but the gunplay is so trite and unnecessary. Looking forward to more of the former and not the latter.

Those game covers look cool.

Stoked for this as ive enjoyed both reboot 1 and 2. Hoping this evolves the series further and doesnt just feel like same old same old in new location

Dacon

Banned
The reboot was pretty much enjoyed by everyone with some solid criticisms, the second one was better in pretty much every aspect but was hated on for being a timed exclusive so that overshadowed that game. That plus terrible comparisons like Uncharted (TR really isnt like Uncharted people...) plus people still annoyed that she kills people...in the third game. Also have been seeing people say this game is racist off the new trailer for which im completely baffled by but you know...

Guaranteed if this trilogy wasnt Tomb Raider but instead was named "Unearthed" or some shit it wouldnt be getting the hate and in fact be regarded pretty damn highly by everyone.

The comparison to Uncharted isnt terrible at all, it's very obvious from the first two games that it took clear inspiration from Uncharted, just as Uncharted took inspiration from the original Tomb Raider. Esp considering the fact that the game is very clearly a third person shooter game with a bit of platforming thrown in, waaaaaaaaaay more shooting than any Tomb Raider before. Lara is basically the terminator, and takes just as many lives as Drake does in any game.

The game does its best to differentiate in a few ways, but you can't experience the myriad of set pieces in Tomb Raider and say you dont get dejavu at some points. Telling yourself that the games are nothing alike just seems like you're desperate to convince that to yourself.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
I find nothing special/unique about these modern Tomb Raider games. Rife with banal and stale modern gaming trends.
From the looks of it, this game seems no different. I hope after this, the game makers can try something different with the franchise or a new IP.
It's basically Uncharted with a chick. One gets praise, one doesn't.

So she is Arnold in predator now? LOL that mug face.
Sexy Arnold is back!

YBzmX6n.png

still mad square made Eidos worked on this and not Crystal Dynamics. Not because I like tomb raider but because I want them working on deus ex instead. And with them working on an avenger game(which sounds very destiny like), the chances of there being another deus ex game is slim unless another studio develops it(I would take obsidian providing they can nail the graphics and gameplay Eidos created).

Cranberrys

For me rise of the tomb raider was really amazing game, to be honest I liked it more than uncharted 4, so I cant wait to see shadow of the tomb raider,

Same here. I'm very fond of Tomb Raider since I played the first one on my PlayStation back in 96 and was blown away. Even if I miss the Core era for the amazing levels, I loved TR 2013 & Rise and like them more than Uncharted overall. I think the gunplay is better, at least to my taste, and I love the bow and well, Lara is like an old friend because she shares my life for 22 years now.

It's because one is about charismatic characters going on adventures, the other is about removing the charisma it once had but with better pew pew.

I miss Lara's friends from Legend and Underworld.

Last edited:
The comparison to Uncharted isnt terrible at all, it's very obvious from the first two games that it took clear inspiration from Uncharted, just as Uncharted took inspiration from the original Tomb Raider. Esp considering the fact that the game is very clearly a third person shooter game with a bit of platforming thrown in, waaaaaaaaaay more shooting than any Tomb Raider before. Lara is basically the terminator, and takes just as many lives as Drake does in any game.

The game does its best to differentiate in a few ways, but you can't experience the myriad of set pieces in Tomb Raider and say you dont get dejavu at some points. Telling yourself that the games are nothing alike just seems like you're desperate to convince that to yourself.
Obviously Uncharted took something from TR and TR Reboot took something from Uncharted (like becoming more character focused and having a more cinematic story!). In Uncharted you arent given muiltiple small open hub areas, areas to actually go and discover, resource gathering + crafting, skill points etc. If the only thing that you can actively string together from TR1-3 that take from Uncharted are 3rd person action adventure then....oof. God of War if anything fits the bill more with its open world, resources, skill points etc haha

Dacon

Banned
Obviously Uncharted took something from TR and TR Reboot took something from Uncharted (like becoming more character focused and having a more cinematic story!). In Uncharted you arent given muiltiple small open hub areas, areas to actually go and discover, resource gathering + crafting, skill points etc. If the only thing that you can actively string together from TR1-3 that take from Uncharted are 3rd person action adventure then....oof. God of War if anything fits the bill more with its open world, resources, skill points etc haha

It's like you're intentionally being obtuse. There's a reason dozens of reviewers, and hundreds of gamers make the comparison to Uncharted. If you want to continually refuse to acknowledge the reason those comparisons exist, then you're not doing yourself any favors.

As far as her appearance goes, Lara has had a different face in each game, from TR, to Definitive, to Rise. So don't be surprised when people comment on her new face, cgi trailer or otherwise.

Dacon

Banned
That's a joke right? Really?

The differences in her face in the games is noticeable, esp when the camera is centered on her face in most of the cutscenes in each game. I suppose this is just another instance of everyone else being ignorant and you being the only enlightened one though right?

OldBoyGamer

Banned
I practically bought my XB1 off the back of Rise. So disappointed by it. Despite being better than the first reboot in terms of tech, the story was poor, characters were poor and the over reliance on big combat focussed set pieces became tiresome. I got to the very last fight, died so many times I can't be arsed to finish the game - I had so little motivation.

TR games are usually day one buys for me but I'm not that excited by this one tbh. I can shake this niggly feeling that it's going to be worse than the other two (that is the direction of travel imo so..).

The only hope I have is that they've brought back some really well designed tombs and got the balance ratio between fighting/puzzle/exploring right this time. We'll see I guess.

Blood Borne

People usually prefer original to imitation.

Also, before anyone says that Uncharted copied the original Tomb Raider, the only thing Uncharted has similar with the original Tomb Raider games is theme. However, Tomb Raider 2013 completely hijacked everything from Uncharted.

sublimit

Banned

I agree except for the fact that Uncharted took more inspiration from Tomb Raider Legend (Crystal's first TR game) than any of the original TR games.

Sharkiller

I was going to preorder until I read a rumor that is going to be a DX12 exclusive game :confused:

Whats true about this? cant find anything.

Cranberrys

People usually prefer original to imitation.

Also, before anyone says that Uncharted copied the original Tomb Raider, the only thing Uncharted has similar with the original Tomb Raider games is theme. However, Tomb Raider 2013 completely hijacked everything from Uncharted.

Uncharted is very similar to the first Crystal D trilogy especially Legend & Anniversary since Underworld was released one year after Uncharted : DF. Specially to Legend, maybe not so much with Anniversary because it was a remake of the original. Also Gears Of War for the core combat mechanics and to some extent Sands Of Time for the core Platform mechanics.

The TR reboots were inspired by Uncharted and some other games for the RPG mechanics.

Anyway, inspiration in gaming, music or movies is a normal process. If I was making a game, I will put in it the things I like about other games. The only thing that matters is the way you do it. Uncharted manages to have is own identity and TR has also is own thing.

wipeout364

I am surprised at the number of people who dislike these games on here. I think the last two games have been amazing. I think it’s been a very difficult thing to move Lara into modern gaming.
I also am surprised at the feeling that the old games are better. At the time they were great but they had terrible mechanics and they wrecked the series by putting out games too fast that were progressively worse.

The best thing that happened to the series was booting CORE design off it and giving it to Crystal Dynamics; an amazing and underrated developer.
I say this as someone who has played every game at release (yes including angel of darkness).

Fbh

Will buy on sale like the other 2.

I like the hub areas and optional puzzles and the combat can be fun. But my main issue with this rebooted franchise is that they took a lot of inspiration from Uncharted without, IMO, understanding why those elements work in Uncharted.
They made it more story heavy and cinematic than previous games but without any of the charm or likeable characters of Uncharted. Lara is really bland and boring as a character, the story is boring, the side characters don't stand out (I played through the first game twice and honestly don't remember who Reyes and Jonah are).
Same with the set pieces. I think Uncharted really nails it in making cool interactive setpieces. Like the whole train sequence in 2, or the shipyard in 3 or the Jeep Chase in 4. So far, setpieces in the TR reboot have come down to mostly running in a straight line while shit blows up around you.

Top Bottom